Miata - Which gen?

Which generation of the miata is the best all rounder? (Generally speaking, I know there are variables with every car like maintenance history and previous treatment)

Easiest to wrench
Reliability
Fun/Performance
General build quality and safety.

Facelift NB.

bump

Do you have to do emissions testing? If so, you won't be able to turbocharge or heavily mod any miata that isn't a 94 or older without having to convert the car to stock every year, which is a pain in the ass. That being said, the 94 was the first year of the 1.8 NA's, and therefore is the best candidate for modifying.

If all that emissions and engine modification shit is irrelevant to you, then the best stock miata is objectively the NB2.

The best flowing head is the 99-01 head tho.

Yeah i would have to do emissions testing yearly, but I do not plan on turbocharging the engine or doing much modification at all, except putting back on stock parts if they are missing or been changed by previous owners.

I just want a stock, clean example.

What year was the nb2?
excuse my ignorance. Was the nb2 a sub generation between the NC?

>The best flowing head is the 99-01 head tho.

sorry, im not sure what this means, can you explain?

Think hes talking about the 2001 NB face lift.

it means nothing outside of spec racing

ok, thanks.

Which engine would be the better of the two, the 1.6 or the 1.8? Any issues that affect one more than the other?

One has 200 ml more displacement than the other.

Quick tldr of every miata
NA: Slow as fuck, bad interior build quality, floppy noodle chassis. Also looks like a bar of soap and is unsafe as fuck.
NB: Slow, best driver feels by a large margin, improved power, build quality, handling, fucking everything over the NA. Also looks way better and is slightly less unsafe
NC: Got fat and lost some feels, not a bad car but a bad Miata. Way safer than the NB
ND: Considerably faster than the NB with slightly less feels

If you want a great overall sports car (and can afford it) get the ND, if you want one of the best "muh feels" experiences from any car, NB. NA is a direct downgrade from the NB, NC isn't worth buying over alternatives.

shes so fuckin hot

Thanks user.

Cost of ownership wise tho, which of the gens suffers more from general reliability issues?

>using fluid measurements for volume
It's the same as cc in value so there's literally no difference, but I'm still triggered.
Am I autistic?

What would be considered high mileage for these cars, the NB in particular?

I've looked at a few to buy, most have at least 60000 miles on them, some over 110000.

Anything signs to look for that would indicate the car has not been looked after in the past?

At least I didn't use cubic inches or fluid ounces or some other unit meant to measure the amount of burgers you can stuff into your face at one.

>fluid measurements

All volume measurements are fluid measurements and vice versa...

The general consensus is that a later year NA is the best Miata to buy. Not only from an enthusiast's perspective but also from a collector's perspective. The NA is the OG Miata and the flippy headlights is always how the vehicle is going to be remembered.

You get the NA styling and body with the superiority of the 1.8 engine and many of the shortcomings addressed.

The exact year to get should also be a function of your state's laws regarding vehicle inspections. Obviously, the newer the better so you can avoid rust and other body imperfections. Having an older car lets you bypass emissions tests which gives you the freedom to do a lot of cool modifications while remaining road legal. In most states, I think the cut off is 1994 or 1996.

New to the mx5 community and have been looking to get one. I've noticed the nc is depreciating pretty goddamn fast. Is the added weight that much of a problem or are there other issues that you know of?

>t. bus rider

NA or NB
NC and later
NB
hahahaha ND

how common is it for those flippy headlights to stop flipping?