Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread
Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sileighty
detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5949142614.html
denver.craigslist.org/cto/5943601770.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why is Alphonse so gay

Recommend me a smooth and fun car for 6k euro max. Should have 4 seats.
Preferably something that doesn't cost too much in fuel and preferably automatic.
Live in the balkans and german car maintenance is cheaper here so amerifats pls dont spam.
Thinking of the vw golf 5.

twingo

What are the possible causes for turbo surge? I got a blow-off valve adjusted at it's softest setting and no matter if I drive at 13 or 16 psi I get mad surge from time to time. What else should I try Veeky Forums?

Are 4th gen v6 Firebird's reliable? Specifically engine and 5 speed manual trans. I need the autismal seal of approval before I make a purchase.

Ay buddy, Alphonse is pretty swell in my mind and I bench 300 pounds.

>causes
-A compressor bypass valve is not integrated into the intake plumbing between the compressor outlet and throttle body
-The outlet plumbing for the bypass valve is too small or restrictive
-The turbo is too big for the application

>adjusted BOV
did you adjust the wastegate as well?
did you replace any vacuum lines? did you make them as short as possible?

get a Roush

preferred brand of ramps? Rhino from walmart are only $40, its tempting but I dont want to get fucked over.
Do you use ramps and a stand, better question may be how you guys set up before getting under the car, especially on gravel and dirt.

>using ramps
pleb tier, jacks are infinitely more useful
especially for gravel and dirt
>jack up car
>place stands under frame
>can repeat process three times
>can control height of individual stands
>finish placing stands
>give car some nudges
>start work if car doesn't move
>put wheels under vehicle if they are being removed

>pontiacs
>reliable
choose one

>the turbo is too big for the application

Fuck. I heard this once already but didn't believe it and it's the most likely cause. I don't remember the exact measures of the turbine wheels but it is a T3 flanged turbo on a 1300cc engine.

The wastegate is set with a 13psi spring and I got a GReddy EBC connected to it. Vaccum lines everywhere are as short as possible.

Still, thanks for the advice user!

Can someone recommended me a quality torque wrench?

really can't beat horror freight and their $20 150 ft/lb torque wrenches
>$20, any size drive
>not even beam style
I use a Snap-on that my grandfather gave me
it is my second most prized tool
you can get the one i have off ebay for less than $100 or a new one for less than $200 and the tool will outlive you
>tekton and craftsman are also decent

>turbo
>1.3L engine

How much does it cost to have a busted front motor mount replaced?

>what are phones?
>what are quotes?
>what does year/make/model mean?
about treefiddy

>What are birds?

>asking Yahoo Answers
>not asking an automotive board

Thanks

Alright boys, I've done a fair amount of searching and practicing but I can't seem to find a good answer so perhaps I can get some advice here.

I'd like to become the best I can at shifting, I'm aware practice is imperative however I'd like some input on what I should be focusing on while shifting or practicing. I am able to
>upshift normally
>downshift and rev match normally
>heel-toe normally and rev match
>double clutch upshift
>double clutch downshift while rev matching
>heel-toe double clutch downshift while rev matching

From what I understand, double clutch upshifting is pretty much pointless however double clutch downshifting and rev matching can help save synchros, opposed to just leaving the clutch in and bringing engine speed up before you release it. In addition to this if your engine is high-revving (rotary, etc) in order to keep everything up to speed when changing from 5th to 2nd double clutching is necessary, as with traditional shifting you would need to row through the gears.

My question I suppose in short would be: To perfect my shifting would upshifting normally then d/c downshifting while rev matching be my best bet? Or is all around normal shifting better?
And lastly: any advice on what to keep in mind while practicing would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time anons

>Nearly hit a kangaroo
>hard braking from 80km to 10km
>Smoking front right brakes

I did the brakes a month ago, only replaced the backs because the front had plenty of meat. I get an ABS warning light and just drive it like it doesn't have ABS, if it were the front right sensor that's broken would that cause it to heat up more than the others?

Also while doing the brakes I couldn't flush the front lines.

I have an idea for a car project but I'm not entirely sure if it's feasible.

I love the bland look of stock JDM S13 Silvias, but I don't love it enough to want to cough up thousands of dollars to import one. How easy would it be to put a Silvia front fascia on a 240SX coupe it and convert it?

>want more aggressive exhaust sound for my Mustang
>don't want to be that dick with the obnoxious and loud car
>car is already loud enough with the stock exhaust

What are some ways to determine what kind of exhaust I should be looking for?

Is AZ a good place for cars

but thats even a bigger meme than miata

Found an Audi A4 of 2005 (2.0 diesel automatic) for a little bit less than 7000 euro. It has 165.000 km on it. Is that too much for an Audi? Say he has done regular maintenance over the years is that still too much and will for sure cause me problems in the future?
I live in Albania so the maintenance prices are different and I could pay for small stuff from time to time but don't want it to break down on me.

I'll post the same question from last thread since it seems nobody answered.
I want to buy a repu since I'm going to be building a cabin over the next few summers and need a pickup. Anybody here that owns one? I'll be using it to haul stuff but nothing over the top. Btw I know a rotary in a pickup is 100% stupid but I really feel the urge to get one.

Do modern cars still use vacuum lines?

Yes, to all of you

whats a non shitbox that a 6'6" guy can fit in without issue, budget around 80k
no convertible pls

What's a good way to remove a stupid philips head fastener that's stripped to shit? It's really tightly wound in the hole too so it's hard to even move the goddamn thing.

does any one trist Valvoline? i can't change my oil due to HOA rules, also its fucking cold outside, and i have a $7 off coupon for their synthetic oil change service.

1995 VW Passat, use the spare money to turn it into a sleeper.

Carefully use a Drexel or cutting wheel to cut a slot in the head for a flathead.

Or use heat around the base and try to get vice grips around the head.

Or maybe drill into the head until it pops off.

Watch some yt vids to get some ideas

*dremel

take a dremel, file, or hacksaw blade and notch the screw head for a flathead screwdriver

>valvoline as a product
it's fine
>valvoline as a quick lube service
I would rather change my own oil in a wal-mart parking lot

that's called a Sileighty
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sileighty

>I would rather change my own oil in a wal-mart parking lot
I can see why. They did a quick inspection of things for me though, being a newfag to Veeky Forums and teaching myself how to into cars though the information was useful. Also a tire rotation because why not

>inb4 pepboys

Two days ago I had two flat tires that couldn't be repaired (front passenger and rear driver).
Bought two tires to replace them, they put the newer tires on the rear axle but now the old (now the front) ones are flat too.

Am I wrong for putting up a stink and expecting them to fix it?

I think he's actually talking about making a U.S. S13 notch with a Silvia front end, as I think all USDM S13 came with the pop up lights.

But to answer the question it all bolts on, but front clips can get pricey pretty quick, especially with all the demand caused by the drifting guys.

Is the floater on my fuel pump broken if the needle is sitting way below E? I just bought a project 240sx that doesn't run so I'm not sure where its supposed to sit

Can obd ports just stop working? I occasionally have to wipe the loose gas cap code. I have a shitty scanner so I suspected that it broke, but I tried it on my friends car and it's fine. If it's fucked is it possible to replace the port?

My gas gauge shows the tank is close to empty with the gas light on. When I stop to buy gas it only lets me pump like six gallons. The gauge will show it's like 40% full when I drive off. And when I tried to 'top it off' it stops immediately.

My tank holds 20 gallons.

Does this mean I'm driving around with a mostly full tank all the time and my gauge is just showing an inaccurate low reading? This has been going on for a few years and this happens at any gas pump.

Is the gauge lying to me or are the gas pumps lying to me?

Could be that the tank vent is obstructed somehow and the pressure rise is making the pump nozzle think the tank is full when it's not even close. Windstars for example had a serious problem with this and in severe cases could take over an hour to actually fill one of their tanks. Similar situations could happen with any modern car.

what does Veeky Forums think about those that namefag what they drive?

Replace fuse?

what do you call this type of seat?
I wanna buy a cover for it
its from a first gen Tundra
all the covers I see are for normal "detached" style seats

It seems that Mazda3s from around 2010 seem to suffer from premature clutch failures. Is this something that is typically rectified after putting in a new clutch, or is it something else causing wear on it that would cause premature failure repeatedly?

Will i get raped by repair costs if i buy a volvo or is this just a meme my family is telling me?

Split bench

My car needs 5W20, but I was told that I can use 5W30 oil just fine and that it's better for the winter anyway since it's thicker over the 5W20. Is that true or is it all bullshit

Want a light cheap truck that can go offroad. Don't wanna pay the Taco Tax. Is Ford Ranger gud? Other suggestions?

How does one go about renting a garage.
Self storage places don't let you work on your car there, and I've check craigslist. Closest is renting a shitty house with a garage. But I just want one for a couple weeks maybe longer.

Isuzu Faster (Chevy LUV), Isuzu P'up

Mitsubishi Mighty Max (Dodge D50)

if you are lucky enough to find the diesel versions of either of those, they are god machines. Rangers are p good too and are more available.

the Nissan D21's are hit or miss.

Ford ranger is great in my opinion.
Easy enough to work on, parts aren't that expensive.
Late 90's early 00's tho. Also don't forget the mazda badged version. It's the same truck but sometimes people sell the mazda one cheaper.
Other one to look at is nissan trucks. The no name ones.

They have the 3800 which is near indestructible. I'd save for a v8 if I were you though

Thinner in winter.
There's a chart in your owners manual, and one in your repair manual.

Twingo, Volks city. Car are expensive in Europe. Why not move to Canada, life is a lot less expensive. In Canada you can get a Hyundai Accent 2013 for 2500euro (a lot better than a twingo or any volks including Golf).

Just gotta find the right place. I work in front of my 10x10 unit sometimes. My landlord people don't really care. I'm always nice and pay cash on time every month. If you can't find a setup like that, get a 10x30, pull the car in and close te door. No one can see you working, done that plenty if times.

Any GM is a 50 50 lotto ticket, the head gasket or intake gasket can blow anytime after 50000mile.

Work in the street or in your parking, its free and not illegal.

if you can't wrench don't get one
t. got mine for $200 because PO was quoted $2500 to fix

What do i need to know?
Was looking at a v70 or maybe an xc90

>looking for first car
>parents loaning me the money since i'm a broke collegefag
>has to be something they approve of
>still want something that's either fast or fun to drive, know i'm probably not gonna get both
What are some fast and/or fun to drive cars that don't look like toys or sports cars?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap sleeper at around $4-5k
So far on craigslist I've found a '96 Taurus SHO and a '99 Volvo s80 with the 2.8l twin turbo, both for slightly over two grand, and an '81 Chrysler Cordoba for just under three.

>either fast or fun to drive
Geo Metro?
That's fun, at least. And economical.

>Basically I'm looking for a cheap sleeper at around $4-5k

police cruiser

confirm timing belt and water pump were changed in the past two years
confirm PCV system was serviced or replaced within past year
make sure ball joints and control arm bushings are good
test MAF sensor
inspect rear delta link bushings
check struts and motor mounts
make sure heater core and hoses have been replaced in the past 5 years
most of these parts are pretty cheap (except MAF sensor) but the labor for most of them is more than two hours
>the ABS unit will not work 90% of time, this is a factory flaw
if you can solder see pic related

Anyone know how long a 2000 BMW z3 2.5l will last mileage wise if properly maintained?

get an mr2
ur parents are lame if they say no

Considering getting a unit and just saying fuckit.

It is illegal for me. Not to mention weather.

Well thats a lot of things i would have to look up. So most of the volvos are expensive thing comes from paying someone to work on it not the actual cost of the parts themselves?

detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5949142614.html
>Should I buy this?
>How difficult would it be to replace the bumper and radiator?
>Is there anything else that's obviously broken that isn't cosmetic?
>What are ways to tell if it has a CVT or Automatic besides the way it drives?

short answer: yes
long answer: volvo parts are not that cheap compared to other vehicle parts and this can compound repair bill costs (stocking and/or shipping plus markup fees are also applied to shop parts FYI), but their parts are quality and usually have longer service life
>exception is the pcv system
>hard to get to, makes vehicle smoke if clogged
>multiple hoses to fail
>expensive and time consuming to replace
not a big deal to get to yourself if you have a weekend, a basic socket set and $100 for parts, but add two hours of shop labor and suddenly the price can triple

Im not scared to do it myself as long as it's something i can look up and fix with basic tools. what models should i look at and are there any that can handle light offroading better than others?

>light offroading
xc70
you do not want an 850 or v70, they have very exposed oil pans made of aluminum.
a 740 ould not be a good choice either due to weight unless >16462088
as counterintuitive as it sounds i'd recommend a 240 if you want dead simple off road reliability over performance, see pic related
>740 is too pigfat
>850/v70 is too vulnerable without metal skidplate
the xc70s haldex AWD isn't the hottest tho
remember to fill it up every 30,000 miles

how much to pay for flywheel resurfacing?

denver.craigslist.org/cto/5943601770.html
So something like this would be good?

>greate family vehicle
I guess
I think these have chinese vtek so extra power
I would look for an earlier pre 2002/non p2 chassis myself
>p80 brick chassis is best chassis

So about two weeks ago I overfilled my car with too much oil(yeah, im an idiot I know). As soon as I got on the road huge plumes of smoke were coming out of my exhaust and my car would barely accelerate, I whipped it into the nearest parking lot and had it towed to jiffy lube where they sucked out the excess oil and let it idle (with periodic revs) until the exhaust was no longer putting out smoke.

I've noticed that since then my car seems to be sluggish about picking up speed, I really have to put pressure on the gas when I want to get up above 45 mph. I'm not getting any check engine lights or temp issues. What could the problem be?

prices vary by region, but $50 is pretty average
>about the same price to get a cylinder head resurfaced

my guess is sounds like a vacuum issue;
you still have too much oil in the crankcase
>need space for a vacuum
or it got into your vacuum lines/pcv and clogged them

Just from an aesthetics point of view?

sounds like an expensive fix. fuck.

>pcv valves are usually less than $10
>vacuum lines are like $1/ft
so expensive, an/o/n

they're easier to work on, have slightly cheaper parts and more aftermarket, and that boxy look is killer.

You should check your spark plugs, they are probably dirty as fuck and baked with burned oil, the mechanics should have told you about it instead of just sucking out the excess oil and call it a day

How do you own multiple cars without being gutted by insurance?

Why don't people drive convertibles In Soca anymore? Like when did people stop driving them? They are perfect for this place.

Need a comfy DD suv or van with
Leather
Heated seats
Used under 20k
Reliable
Its for my stepdad, hes looking to replace his 300 because its too low for him to get in and out of.

I suggested lexus rx model should be where they start looking. Anymore?

Change your oil in the garage.

Anyone have a 1972 or older Cadillac convertible they wanna sell?

ramp and jack plebs

>stop being poor and buy a hoist

How can I get my body panels to be glossy again? Only the front panels are glossy, the rest are more matte

What product should I use to clean lights marks on my fabric seats and plastic dashboard?

UK available products only plz

My car doesn't have a temperature guage
How do I know its temp?

If you're good at it Resolve carpet cleaner works well. It foams on contact so you don't want to let it set in too long. I recommend spraying it, wiping off the excess, scrubbing with a brush, then using a shopvac to get any excess moisture. It worked quite well on the headrest of my beige cloth seats.

What is the best used car search website

>HOA
Move.
Only an idiot would move into a HOA

How old are the tires, why are they flat, how would it be there fault?