Upgrade or keep?

Sup br/o/thers.

Im thinking of trading in my 200 Honda Insight with 217k miles, and has service records from when it was new... It has its problems, like grinds on downshift from 2nd or 1st, check engine light because of a fuel pressure regulator, and paint ain't the prettiest.

I was thinking of a 2013 Honda CRZ (model year with the lithium ion batteries, better electric motor, and "boost" button) with only 60k miles, for $8k.

The problem is, the front bumper has those stupid "quick release" straps, and has a few knicks. So, although it's a great price for that model year, it probably wasn't taken care of that well.

So, should I trade in a vehicle that has been nothing but reliable, but has a worn down drive train, or get an upgrade to something that might not have been taken care of, but I'll probably need to do some superficial repairs to.

Pic related: retarded quick release straps that are most likely screwed onto the fender and bumper, a piece of the grill is missing, and there are some scratches. All seemed to be focused on the front bumper.

Other urls found in this thread:

lhtperformance.net/documents/lht_k-sight.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Another pic.

One more

>So, should I trade in a vehicle that has been nothing but reliable, but has a worn down drive train, or get an upgrade to something that might not have been taken care of, but I'll probably need to do some superficial repairs to.
Keep your insight and repair it.
As much as I like the CR-Z's styling, it fails at what it was supposed to do. It's too focused on being a hybrid to be any fun. Meanwhile, it's too focused trying to be sporty to be any good as a hybrid.
The result is a 2 door Honda Fit with no better gas mileage than a normal model that fails to be the CR-X successor it so badly wants to be.

Theres something you're missing tho. I can modify a crz. There's tons of aftermarket out there for suspension, brakes, breather mods, superchargers, and turbo chargers (both cars can be swapped tho). Also, the crz can actually go up a hill without losing 8mph. I also like it's newer amenities (then again, I could probably gain 80% of them by installing an aftermarket stereo). I've called a few shops to get pricing for a trans rebuild (throw in a clutch and rear main seal while I'm at it), but waiting to hear back.

So, it boils down to either having a car, that's paid off, great on gas, but needs work and I can't modify and just use as a long-distance work horse... or one that i'd need a small loan for, is okay on gas, needs less major work, and has a a huge aftermarket that I can have fun with and not get bored while also enjoying a much newer vehicle for a great price.

>I can't modify
You can modify an Insight. You just need to look more.
K-swaps are popular, and for the same price as a CR-Z, you can have a nicely done K-swapped Insight.
lhtperformance.net/documents/lht_k-sight.html

They even offer an AWD conversion.

I've checked out LHT. They do a great job, but for $22k... I'd be spending over 1000% what I paid for the car originally.

There are Inline-Pro (who had their own k-swapped insight) that quoted me at $3.5k for labor, as long as I provided all the parts. So, I figure a $3-5k donor vehicle (RSX Type S), and $500 in mounts... that'd still be $7-9k.

Whereas with the CRZ, I wouldn't want to swap it, it has enough power for me. With induction mods, and Honda Fit camshaft upgrade, and tune. (maybe $2k for everything).

>Whereas with the CRZ, I wouldn't want to swap it
Yes you would. The L15 is trash.

Don't listen to these idiots your insight has over 200k miles and transmission problems. Don't waste money fixing it

I don't really agree with that.

Granted, it's not the K-series, which is Honda's flagship tuner engine, but the L15 is a pretty good platform.

It's basically like comparing a D-series to a B-series. Obviously the D is the more economic of the two, but people have done a lot with them.

The Honda CRZ's L15 can put out around 160hp with intake, exhaust, Fit camshaft upgrade, Fit intake manifold upgrade, and a tune. (Total cost being around $2,000).

160hp in a 2650 pound car is very similar to the hot hatches of yesteryear. All the while enjoying low end torque from the IMA battery, and a nicely tuned engine while still maintaining good mpg.

Also, superchargers and turbochargers are following suit for the L-series just like they did for the D-series: Good prices, better performance, and offered in several different packages.

Also; pic related. They just look so good with that Mugen Kit! (Can have a replica from ebay shipped to your door, painted, and installed for around $1k.)

Can anyone help me with a carfax report for the CRZ?

JHMZF1C47DS001522

>$2000 to get 160hp

If the K series is the new B-series, and the L-series is the new D-series, can someone please explain to me what the R-series is?

>$2000 to get a freely breathing, we'll rounded, and tuned engine.

The net hp isn't the goal when it comes to a daily. It's the efficiency and powerband of the engine that's important.

If i wanted a car with a lot of power I'd just hop in my Mazdaspeed3. 350hp feels nice, but not something I want to drive everyday.

Do you happen, by any chance, to have any relation with The scientist formerly known as RIck?

That's a good question, actually. I think they should of just stuck with the L series and just offered it in different displacements like they did for the D-series.

Offering the 1.3 for lower end models, and maybe went for a 1.6 instead of 1.5 for the higher end models. A 1.6 DOHC would of been a nice "SI" engine for the CRZ and Fit. And maybe the 1.3l ima and non-ima for CRZ and Fit hybrids (and get rid of the newer Honda Insight).

My last car was a 2011 CRZ. It feels sporty, without actually being sporty. IMA does provide some low end torque, but it's really not that much.

The cluster is fun to look at with the charge/assist bar fluctuating.

> A 1.6 DOHC would of been a nice "SI" engine for the CRZ and Fit.
only if it had the proper classic Vtec valve lift system along with the modern i-vtec... like they did for the K20A2.

>350hp feels nice, but not something I want to drive everyday.

Why not? Is it because the hp in the Mazdaspeed3 comes at the cost of a supple ride quality?

The smoothest ride quality hatch will always be the VW Golf. The rest are given hard rides because that's what millenials associate with "sporty."

You're close. The powerband on it is very aggressive. Your gti probably has a smooth, and flat powerband that comes on nicely. The MazdaSpeed3 feels like a dog let off its leash.

I won't argue that vw has more refinement. But that's not why I bought the Mazda. I like to feel that "oh shit, here we go!" rush. But not everyday.

That's why I just got done buying the CRZ. Traded in my Insight and paid $4500 cash for it. Pretty good price for a 2013. The front bumper was messed up, and I made a big deal out of it (probably gonna do a respray and get a new grill when i get the chance). Once he saw 4,500 green backs in front of him, he called it a day.

>wanting to modify a car
>worried about return on investment
just grow up, fix the insight, and keep it stock. if you want to modify something get another car. You should have a reliable dd if you're gonna have a potentially unreliable project car.