How can I convince my parents to let me purchase a 25GT R34...

How can I convince my parents to let me purchase a 25GT R34? I'm an 18 year old about to start University and I live with my parents. I've been working for 3 years now and I've got $14,000 saved up. The car I want to buy is $12,000.

Although it's entirely my money, my parents aren't allowing me to get it (it's stupid, I know). They keep going on about how the odometer has been rolled back, and how every one of these R34s has been owned by a 20 something year old who drove the car around like an idiot.

I don't want some sedan or hatchback. I just want a coupe R34 that I've been saving up 3 years for. Please give me some arguments I can use against them.

Other urls found in this thread:

j-spec.com.au/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Since its your money it teaches you responsibility and would be an important life lesson for you when probably inevitably crash it into a university building

It's smarter to go to Uni and then by an r34 with the money you'll make after graduating.

This is retarded and you're retarded but in all honesty if it's a jap import (I'm assuming you're an ausfag P plate scum) it's very likely to have been rolled back. Also they're ugly cars, the GT isn't fast, cops will rape your asshole 24/7 and you won't even have an interesting or unique vehicle for all the trouble.

On top of that, what have your parents got to do with it? If you're living at home i think it's perfectly acceptable to live under their rules, move out with that money instead and you'll likely be a lot happier.

But I've got the money now, so why not buy the car now? Besides, I'm studying film. I doubt I'll get a real job right out of uni.

>I'm assuming you're an ausfag P plate scum

Yep.

I honestly think they're great looking cars, and I'm not a stupid driver. I don't want an R34 because it's fast, I want it because it looks good. So as long as I'm obeying the rules and shit, I don't see a reason for the cops to find a reason to stay on my ass.

And I don't make enough money from my shitty part-time job to be able to move out and live by myself.

just get a Commodore you weeb cunt

No, Commodores are ugly as fuck.

The cops found a reason to stay on your ass. You're driving a P-plate skyline. I'm not kidding you'll be RBT'd, RDT'd and inspected regularly, especially if you drive at night. If you prove financial independence from your parents you can get 560/fortnight from centrelink, that plus a basic part time job (1-2 days a week) is way more money than you need to live by yourself. I lived at expensive university campus (Which i highly recommend at a social level) accommodation and still managed to save money while working one day a week and doing university full time.

I'll agree that commies are pretty 2000s era GM and look like ass, but you're looking to pay a very inflated price for a very bland car that's going to cause you a lot of issues financially and with the authorities. I'm sure there's something far cheaper that looks infinitely cooler/more interesting and might even be kind of fast/fun. Keep looking at other cars and who cares what your parents say, move out, don't be part of this fresh generation of people who stay at home till they're 28. Moving out of home was the single best tipping point in my entire life.

You are 18
do whatever you want
Or kill yourself because clearly you arent a man

>about to start University
>I live with my parents
>I've got $14,000 saved up.
>The car I want to buy is $12,000.
This is all manner of dumb. Save your money, you're just starting school. At least see how the first year goes before you buy anything. Are your parents paying for your tuition, board, etc too? Are you going to keep working as a student?

If your parents are paying for school, then they can tell you you're not allowed to buy a car.

>If your parents are paying for school, then they can tell you you're not allowed to buy a car.

This, same as if you're not planning on moving out of their house. Move to university accommodation and get a part time job nearby, then you won't need a car anyway and you can have a cheap project at home with your parents (if nearby) to fulfil your car hobby or a motorbike at university (quite cheap)

>If your parents are paying for school
That means they have made a decision long ago when user was a child that they would do such, and most likely have money put away.
If his parents were giving him money for school and he decided to buy a car instead that would be a different story. But this is anons personal savings from working since he was 15 years old and like every other single teenager in this country who worked during school to buy a nice car, he should be able to!

tell them you saw it in an anime

I'm going to say a couple things. First off, in four years is the R34 going to poof out of existance? Probably not. Next, how cheap are parts? These cars are over a decade old, so things are going to break, and when they do will you have the time and resources to fix it?

Finally, It's really unwise to throw down literally all of your money on a a car when you are about to go off on your own? 14k will go a long way in a university setting, and blowing all of it isn't all that great of a plan.

Buy a civic, throw an ebay turbo or something on, make some friends, have some fun with it, and when you graduate and get a stable job, buy what your heart desires.

Hahahah this!

But just do it fag

My parents will help me out with payments required now, but they're making me take a hex loan from the government which I'll have to repay when I start making a certain amount of money.

By the time I'm done, I'll owe the government about $40-50k,

And yes, I plan on continuing to work while studying.

>most likely have money put away.

Ha, I wish.

This. Ayy boss, you're 18 show yer parents you can adult

*HECS, not hex

whoops

>In this country
Worth noting the user is from australia, so either his schooling is paid for via govt loan (unlike your student loans in murrica these have interest which is at or less than inflation and don't need to be paid back till making over 55k/year) or his parents have enough money they can afford to pay it off for him now for no particular reason. Usually in this country if your parent's "Pay for you to go to school" it means they're paying your rent/expenses. With out social welfare system nobody really needs someone to have to pay for them to get by, it's quite easy to be your own person without financial aid from anybody but the government. This means that if OPs parents have decided to make his life that much easier by allowing him to live in their home/pay his expenses it's pretty acceptable to make big financial decisions with their input, seeing at they're enabling those decisions by paying his way through regular life.

>That means they have made a decision long ago
You're missing the point. The reason he has money to buy a car is because his parents are paying for school, otherwise that money would be going towards tuition instead.

>My parents will help me out with payments required now
Then you should listen to them for now. Your best bet at convincing them is to do well with your first year of school.
>By the time I'm done, I'll owe the government about $40-50k
Sounds like a very good reason to not spend the entirety of your savings on a car.

Worth noting you don't really need to worry about paying back HECs, it will come out of any taxbacks you get for any income you earn over 54~k and once you're making that much money it's a pretty small price to pay for the education that got you there. Just resign yourself to not getting a tax back for the first 10 years after you start making real money. Also the R34 is a pretty bad idea, you're going to be chasing after little bits that nobody has that break, you'll need to scour forums and facebook groups for stupid bits of moulded plastic which will cost you hundreds of dollars, and you'll be doing all that for the base model while everyone else in your forums and facebook groups are discussing their plans for their GTRs. Believe me, it's really not that enjoyable trying to keep one of those piles on the road. If you know you've got the top trim model and you can have that level of pride about your vehicle, it's easier to justify all the time money and effort. But when you're spending that much time keeping a mode of transport on the road it becomes a real pain in the arse. Also don't expect to be able to afford to use a mechanic, you'll need to do everything yourself if you want to be able to afford it.

Over9k knows what's up as usual

The skyline is a silly purchase, that doesn't mean you can't have an awesome/cool/unique/fun car which will teach you a lot, but the skyline is a poor choice for that.

Okay so everyone here says that the R34 is a bad idea. And most are saying I can get a better car.

So what can you guys recommend me if I really like the design of the R34?

The only other car I've taken into consideration is something like a 2009+ XR6.

Have you considered anything European? Also XR6 is not P plate legal.

I don't know much about European cars.

And are you sure? The ones I've seen on carsales says they're P plate approved.

XR6 is p plate legal and a very smart car financially. Parts everywhere, easy to service, every mechanic knows them i assume you're thinking of the turbo when you say not p plate legal.

XR6 is a great car and i'd recommend you get one if you like it. I think they look nice but my biggest issue with them is they aren't particularly unique or interesting. If that doesn't worry you though they're a great buy. Worth looking into the luxury models too, they're quite nice.

literally just buy the fastest liter bike you can buy with 12 grand and spend the rest on gas/maintenance/insurance

i think there are laws in australia against doing this but do it anyway pussy

your parents would love for you to have an r34 once they see you on the fastest crotch rocket in town

bULL SHIT, Even with an education he could end up flipping burgers! At least here in America where they sell education to people who cant afford it but wont let us smoke or drink until 21; but die in war at 18!

Fuck those EL Camino rip offs!

My mother would rather kill me herself than see me ride around on a motorbike.

I know in VIC they aren't. As for European cars, look uo BMW e60, BMW E46, BMW E90.

The E46 and E90 both come in two door variants. You could also look at a few Audis, like the A4

They use far too much fuel tho.

even better, then there's gonna be no one stopping you from getting that r34 you want

your parents are smart and you should be commended for saving so much money. Dont waste it on a car. You're gonna want that money all throughout university and after. I know thats not the fun answer but its the right one

never mind i read that wrong fuck me

>spending $12000 on 200 horsepower
Fucking aussies man, you'd be better off just importing one

Ralliart Lancer if you can deal with lolauto. I dont think your parents would have any reason to turn down a normal looking lancer.

Just drive your parent's cars or get a cheap reliable shitbox until you get your full licence, then get a v8 Commodore or an xr6t or if you want to waste your money get a GTR. If you're Australian and you want a good value sedan, ute, wagon or coupe only a fuckwit would get anything other than a Commodore or Falcon. For the value, you can't beat the speed, reliability, and abundance of stock and aftermarket parts. Sure, if you own a house, have a steady income then go ahead and spend a some more to get something you really like but you're an 18 year old kid with $14k that has lots of better things to spend his money on than a thrashed skyline.

VL turbo. Dose like a mad cunt at uni and you'll have sluts all over you.

spending $12000 on a used sporter in uni is just unwise desu, don't make unwise purchases with money you barely have

t. guy who bought $7k worth of synthesizers when he was 18-19

I wouldn't want you driving a turbo Skidlne either, desu.

Get a shitbox you can fang around in and actually learn how to drive, then once you've calmed down and got all the dumb shit out of your system buy a Skyline.

I hate to say it, but your parents are right. All Skidlines are thrashed, ruined pieces of shit and the half decent ones are over priced or simply don't exist.

Just get it. Front the brutal insurance yourself and show them otherwise. Buying a NA Skyline is a dumb move but if you've got your heart set on it, who are we to stop you?

Also go through J-Spec for it and not some scumbag import dealer like Edward Lees.

>j-spec.com.au/

>Besides, I'm studying film
Might as well just save the money wasted on study and buy a second R34.

If you can't pay for the car twice over you can't afford a Skyline.

If you don't want to piss money into the wind you might as well spend money on guns that will hold their value instead of something that will turn into trash once you skid it into a building.

I thought they wouldve been cheaper, i got my r34 for 4k nz, its done 113km and is manual, was originaly auto

All these cucks and the "you'll skid it into X" meme.

Were you all just really shit drivers or did the crippled motivational speaker who they wheeled in at the end of grade 12 scare your balls off?

>If you can't pay for the car twice over you can't afford a Skyline.
lol

>you might as well spend money on guns
double lol

american trying to give advice about skylines. lmao

kek this, its a fucking GT not some fully sikk 800hp GTR
but usually the people who say that are just salty poorfags who had to drive a neutered shitbox until they were well into their 20s

You live with your parents still. You ain't got a say in any of this. Buy something cheaper for like 3K-4k and put money into it. Make it your own, instead of dropping all your cash on a car that will have high maintaince and insurance.

>If you can't pay for the car twice over you can't afford a Skyline.
This applies to the turbo ones, not the atmo ones. It'll be totally gutless but once he's off his P's he can swap something proper in like a 25DET or a VQ37 if he's a real mad cunt.

As for the RB25DE, make a coffee table out of it.

I forgot that he lives in a nanny state that hates freedom. Apologies.

Regardless Skylines aren't cheap when turbo and if you get an NA version you might as well get something modern instead of the equivalent of a Ford Focus.

Do what the user says

You might not realize it now, but a lot of things will happen when you transition into adult life. Having a cheaper car so you have more money to play with will allow you to experience more during your youth. Disposable cash also gives you one very important tool your peers may not have. Options.

R34s will be around, buy an old civic

A transverse 4, single cam with a stick will teach you to truly appreciate why people like R34s (and also why people choose to drive old civics)

Seconding this. And more likely than not, you're going to get into an accident at some point, and when you do, a civic is gonna be a hell of a lot cheaper to fix than an r34. Plenty of time after college and after you learn the dos and don'ts of driving firsthand to get your dream car, so don't rush it user.

Do it pucci.

I absolutely adore it even with it's piss weak motor.

It's reliable as fuck. I've had it for a year now and I was driving it on my Ls and never had a single problem even though outists will say it's terrible and unreliable.

Hell yeah nigga that's really nice

I'm that faggot with the yellow skyline at the bottom.

I have not once been pulled over by the police, Every time I've seen a cop they just look at it and move along. If you don't drive like fucking retard and you don't just buy a $4,000 beat up skyline with missmatching panels just to have the skyline name. You'll be fine.

And no, It wont "cause you trouble financially".

>14k saved up in 3 years
lmao what the fuck, I made more than that working part time in a single year.

>lmao what the fuck, I made more than that working part time in a single year.

Someone please make me feel good about myself

American here, dunno how it works in Ausland, but I'm going to assume he was getting paid about as little as the law allows the whole time because he's a teenager, and didn't get to do many hours due to school. Here's your (you).

OP, I'd say you probably shouldn't do it for a first car, especially if it's going to blow through almost all of your savings, which you're going to quickly discover you need for drugs/booze and spending on your whore girlfriend, amongst other bad decisions you're about to make over the next 4 years.

>I'm studying film
Advice on what car to buy is the last thing you need right now. Please reconsider.

I say all of these things as an user that wants you to have fun and have the car of your dreams. Just do it in a couple years, though. You're in Ausland so they're easier to come by, by far, for you than they are for me, you're not getting slapped with the absurd import fees an American would, and they'll still be around and just about as easy to get ahold of in 4 years if you still really want one.

Now go back to your room, you ungrateful little shit, or I'm getting the belt out.

>blowing almost all your savings on a dodgy non-turbo R34
>which will probably break because lolthrashedp-platercar and cost you money to fix and undo all of the previous owners' dodgyness
>you will be harassed constantly by the police because you've effectively become a rolling ACA episode
>all this while being a money-tight uni student who wants to go out and party with mates but can't because he spent all his money on a slow boat of a car

Not to mention you'll be wanting a turbo/V8 car once you're on your full license anyway, which you could save your $14k for instead of spending it now.

Your call.

It's not a good idea to spent almost 100% of your savings on a car. Just buy a newer Miata that you can maintain without problems and save some money to fix things here and there and save some money for living your youth going out with friends or chicks.

This. Absolutely this.
Get a fucking Golf or something for the time being.

>advocating spending money on girls and driving a dull shitbox

You people are total cucks.

>buying japanese shitbox older than half of this board

Modern day hatchback will run rings around it while being more practical, efficient, comfortable and so on

You obviously look for something for posing, might as well find something better than 20 year old with 25 year old technology.

I am sorry, but it makes me cringe when people tell me they're spending $50k on an arts degree.

Buy it faggot OP, I love smoking p plate fags in imports

Base XR6 is p plate legal. XR6 Turbo/XR8 however is not.

Trust me the car doesn't have enough power to skid into something. A BRZ would be more dangerous.

>I've got the money now, so why not buy the car now
>I don't make enough money to live by myself
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FUCKING CHILDREN

Buy it, fuck your parents.

I DD'd my RX7 at uni. There's nothing like being young with a fun car.

>I've got $14,000 saved up. The car I want to buy is $12,000.
You cannot afford it. You have maintenance, license, university parking fees of $360 to $800 (my school is around there), AND INSURANCE. And you should NOT have a car your first year of school. You need to learn what your school environment is like before bringing a car into it and finding there is NO PARKING AVAILABLE because you failed the student parking lottery for a spot. Now you have to use the $12 for 6 hours parking lot assuming that even has space.

Your saved up money was to go towards paying for your education tuition costs, food costs, housing costs, book costs, and incidental school fees. Having a car is a handicap! I went to school with a car and everyone else wanted to use it or have me chauffeur them. AND if I didn't do that, they would get in my way later on! So having a car means people hold it against you if you don't let them use it. And you do have to guard your car keys if they are duplicatable (mine were since it was an older car). People will copy them.

With only $14K and spending 12K plus taxes and registration transferral, you have no leeway left. What are you going to do in the future? Work desperately at odd jobs and let your education grades and achievements suffer? As someone that interviewed people, I remember some stories where I was told that they would have tried to do a bigger senior project but they had living expenses to take care of. So their time for a bigger or better senior project was limited. That was how some answered me when I asked why they were not more ambitious with their projects.

Having a car eat your fees means you are already planning on depending on your parents to bail you out. And as others have pointed out, your mileage has probably been rolled back or given an odometer that was cranked ahead.

>I'm an 18 year old about to start University and I live with my parents.
Since your room and board are paid for by your parents, they have a say. Did you check the insurance costs for your R34 at age 18? Pretty high, right?

I'm not advocating spending stupid amounts of money on women. It's still going to happen.

/thread

OP here.

Thanks to everyone for (not) helping me out. You've convinced me to not get an R34 (for the time being).

I guess I should start looking for a cheaper, more reliable car. Some of you have made some nice recommendations, so thanks for that.

Alll you need is a scirocco

I really don't understand how Veeky Forums has such strange experiences with girls.

I've actually had a girl insist on paying before. It was really weird and I didn't feel right about it so I paid her back later but most girls aren't really comfortable with not paying in equitable relationships.

if its your money the real question is what can they do to stop you from buying it?

Veeky Forums - financially illiterate retards

Don't buy the skyline, OP.

You'll wish you never spent that money.

Just fucking buy it.
Get a friend to give you a ride.
Rage your dream.