When you realize old cars are actually crap

Think about it. You really only hear about select models/ brands when people talk about vintage cars. Everyones (boomers) are always ranting about how "back in da good ol days they actually made damn good murica cars". In reality only a few cars were made well and the rest were steaming piles of shit. Everyone just lumps the impalas/caddies and other catchy buzz name cars that were taken care of for the past 40 plus years and go "mygosh they really could makem back in da day guis" .Don't get me wrong... I like a few models of classics myself but I'm not gunna say they were built better than any car made today....they just held more value to the owners and that's all it comes down too it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control
youtube.com/watch?v=8ZsflYVV3s0
youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck
youtu.be/bDzuXZPO06E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The quality control was shit but it's more about the car being all solid steel construction and glass headlights, not this plastic shit. Everything was made from solid materials that lasted. All the switches and buttons inside just had a charm to them. Also they literally can't build cars like they used to because of all the ridiculous standards now. Back then the designs would make the car look however they wanted. Nowadays it's like you can't have something as simple as cool toggle switches in a car because some jackass poked his eye out on one and tried to sue the company so they put a regulation against them. There are a ton of benefits to modern technology though. That is why I believe restomods are the way to go, you can get the best of both worlds.

People are talking moreso about the materials they use to build shit out of. Everything was metal and glass. There weren't super cheap plastics like now. Things held up better under heavy use and more importantly are easier to restore

They handle like shit, accelerate slowly, take decades to stop, and were unreliable as fuck back in their heyday, let alone now. And they drank fuel like it was going out of fashion, which it WAS.

But fuck, some of them were beautiful.

>a car built 40 years ago is worse than one built now with modern tech
>this is a revelation to some

As dated as they are its funny how you see more cars from the 60's than the 70's and 80's still on the road. Of course I live in the sounth where there's no rust and people love 'muh classic american'

One thing that old vehicles got goin for them is that they are piss easy to work on and with many common models of ford and chevy parts are commonly available, interchangeable and inexpensive

>old cars
>unreliable as fuck
nigger shattering turbos, exploding injectors, suiciding computers and general shittiness is not reliable.
80's/early 90's cars were the most reliable, but old (late 40's/mid '70s) cars really hold their candle well.
>dad buys '69 bel air sedan
>3 on the tree and L6
>try to kill the engine by doing burnouts and donuts
>still works after 2 hours of this shit
try doing that with a modern car and see what happens

We wont ever find out. They wont even let you try lmfao

In all fairness, old cars were the basis of all modern cars (obviously). Technology has changed significantly, so of course old cars are shit. They literally made the odometer only go to five digits cause they knew they were going to crap out by then. In my opinion, the only thing great about old cars is that they don't have bull shit nanny assists, infotainment and were mainly solid steel. Seems like all manufacturers are just throwing in a bunch of electronic shit that is unnecessary. But god damn try braking with four wheel manual drum brakes in modern traffic your guaranteed to have a heart attack every time.

People who say this shit don't realise that plastic today is better quality than it was in the 60s.

A lot of those old cars had plastic in the steering wheels and shit too that would get old and fuck uo real bad but they still say "classic not plastic".

They're aesthetically pleasing in an old fashioned way, but usually it's just nostalgic old timers. Every classic car (as in 1960s and below) I see in my town are driven by baby boomers.

It's comfortable to know that there are elderly people behind the wheels of pure steel death machines with primitive performance and braking. I'm sure those metal steering wheels are good at absorbing cranial impacts.

>Comparing 40-60 year old plastic to 5 year old plastic

UV rays can destroy things very easy. Probably the biggest factor to interior damage.

Confirmation bias explains why people think old cars were better than new ones.

"My best attributes vs your worst attributes" is an example of confirmation bias.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Cars from every generation are 95% shit. Nobody points to a Ford Fusion as an example of how good modern cars are, it's a shitbox just like a 4 door slant 6 Dart was in 1967. Old cars were made better for the most part for 2 reasons, they didn't have smart bean counters figuring out how to cut costs and the cars were much simpler.

Oh god....so simple means better? are you high? The dodge dart is infamous for being a steaming pile of shit.

>the only thing great about old cars is that they don't have bull shit nanny assists

I disagree. I think electronic assists are great. Here's why:

"Numerous studies around the world confirm that ESC is highly effective in helping the driver maintain control of the car, thereby saving lives and reducing the severity of crashes.[33] In the fall of 2004 in the U.S., the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration confirmed the international studies, releasing results of a field study in the U.S. of ESC effectiveness. The NHTSA in United States concluded that ESC reduces crashes by 35%. Additionally, Sport utility vehicles (SUVs) with stability control are involved in 67% fewer accidents than SUVs without the system. The United States Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) issued its own study in June 2006 showing that up to 10,000 fatal US crashes could be avoided annually if all vehicles were equipped with ESC.[34] The IIHS study concluded that ESC reduces the likelihood of all fatal crashes by 43%, fatal single-vehicle crashes by 56%, and fatal single-vehicle rollovers by 77–80%."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control

Also before you even bother coming up with a response just know...there is a legitimate reason ford sedans like the fusion/ crown vic etc etc get scooped up by cities everywhere to work as patrol cars/ taxis/ etc etc its because they are bulletproof and solid built quality cars.

Cost cutting may have existed since the dawn of trade.

>Oh god....so simple means better? are you high?
No, I'm someone that's worked extensively on both cars from the 60s and the most advanced/fully featured vehicles that are coming out today. The Slant 6 Dart has a reputation of being extremely reliable.

Sure, but they couldn't replace screws/bolts with adhesives, plastic clips, etc. (or they weren't bold enough to try).

Yeah that was a shitty position on that posters behalf. They did in fact have the capacity to throw in seatbelts/airbags/roll protection and Volvo proved this. They DIDN'T do all that to cut costs bud

Also, the Prius is used a lot as a service vehicle. It's very complex.

Yeah but it's a hybrid so they justify its complexity with cheaper fuel costs.

Its probably due to the low fuel aspect. Traffic wardens use them where I am as well as the environmental guys and parks dept to look green.

It doesn't require intelligent bean counters to just not put something in a car. That's clearly not what I am talking about.

No, it's not, they are straightforward and very easy to work on

someone post the video where they bounced a hyundai off the limiter for 8 hours and it didnt die lmao

Well both new and old american cars are pretty trashy

My favorite part of my old car is how the headlights actually become warm and melt the snow off in the winter. New cars don't. Then they have shit like tiny headlight wipers (one more thing to possibly break) to solve a problem that only exists because they stopped using sealed beams that got warm.

Simplicity is best.

No it isn't quit playing yourself. Modern cars are the great. Don't get me wrong some of that infotainment shit its totally stupid. I say limit it to hands free and navi.

>nanny assists that prevent wheelspin when idiots floor it in their 300hp 2-ton death machines = less accidents
No fucking shit. But perhaps people who are so goddamn bad at driving SHOULD get in an accident and die. If they're so shit at driving that traction/stability control actually does something to help them in day to day traffic, they're surely polluting the gene pool with other forms of idiocy as well. Bring back natural selection. We're saving too many morons. The people they crash into are collateral damage in our quest towards a more competent human species.

Been searching for 5 mins for this video
Ive never heard of any engine sitting at rev limit for more than 10minutes without failure

>be in car with 0 tread on both front tires
>touch gas at lights
>spin spin spin
>dont crash
how do retards manage it? unless they're flooring RWD cars in the middle of corners or something

>>Until they crash into you and we have to hear about your truckposts. Fuck off screwball

youtube.com/watch?v=8ZsflYVV3s0

A: Most older cars didn't have limiters
B: No reason a modern car couldn't do this. Most cars have a soft limiter to hold the rpm at 3k or so to avoid idiocy.

i'm just giving an example of a newer efi car still being bulletproof you dingus

>try doing that with a modern car and see what happens
Try parking an old chevy outside for 5 years and see if it survives the winter.
Drive it on salted roads, through inches of water, and wash it every month or so, and never in winter because of freezing temperatures.
Bake it in the sun, soak it 6 months of the year, throw high-speed miles on it, and see if it survives that.
Modern cars do easily. Older cars just don't have the seals for it.

>hurr seals HUUURURRRRRRRRR DURRRR SEALSSS RUSTT XDD
gas yourself idiot

Assists save innocent people too.

Old Chevrolets have
-galvanized rockers
-lead based primer which acts as a sacrificial diode
-lacquer paints which are much tougher than the solvent and waterborne paints which came along later
Not sure which bizarro world you are living in but mid 70s and earlier cars hold up to the elements much better than new cars, which is why they are still around after 50 years

lmfao they are on the road because they were cared for. Don't be stupid salt eats all.

Your argument was that an older car won't hold up as well as new ones. What are the things you think new cars are utilizing to hold up better to the elements than older ones? What exactly do you think is happening to "the seals"?

>when you see plebs talking about reliability and quality

Sacrificial anode
>I don't understand how oxidation works: the post

Get over it older cars suck.If they were any good they would keep them the way they were. In 20 years you dumbasses will say the same shit about cars of today" MUH KIA RIO DAT WAS BUILD QUALITY"

>mfw I daily drive a 1972 C10 with all original sheet metal and paint and it looks better than some guys trucks that are only 10 years old.

>If they were any good they would keep them the way they were.
>what is cost reduction, environmental regulation, change in construction for ease of manufacturing, etc

So what was it, first they can't hold up to the elements, but it turns out you can't figure out why, so now it's just "they suck get over it." Why bother making incorrect statements in the first place, just to let the thread know you don't know what you are talking about?

You just proved yourself wrong. Old cars suck
>What is not using logic.

How assblasted are you right now, exactly? Where did the Biscayne touch you?

Yeah, I sure wish my hood was still solid steel so I got worse MPG and so that if i ever rearended someone it would fly back and decapitate me and my family

>Defending classic cars this much
boomer detected.

If the alternative to being a boomer is being as pig shit stupid as you, then fetch my cane and call me daddy, fuccboi.

>guy at the shop i worked at comes in and coplains that his gauges went out on his 17 year old chevy impala
>boy they just dont macum' like day used to
>i suppose its my fault fer buyin' new american crap!

fuck off

Lol. Calling classic cars worse than newer cars stupid?
Its literal fact that new cars are better than old ones. You even said it yourself
Now kindly go drink your sleepytime tea and go to sleep gramps...the bus comes in the morning to bring you to bingo...or do you prefer the route that goes through the coffeeshop?

They don't build them like they used too.Thankfully.
youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck

I would rather be decapitated than have to pay the insurance hike for rear-ending someone.

O-Ok....

Sealed beams aren't the only lights that get warm, every car I've owned has had normal halogens that get warm enough to melt snow and ice. Only new HIDs/LEDs/BBQs/etc don't do that.

Also shut the fuck up headlight wipers are neat as hell.

From the thumbnail it almost looked like a DeSoto.

Yeah, I get that a lot...

I'm poor and have a slightly older one of those.

It's like watching your own child get slaughtered.

For me, the only way you can get classic cars nowadays is that
A. You're rich/have a lot of money to spend
B. You're retired.
C. Hand-me-down

t. retard

Secret option;

D. Know what the fuck you're doing when working on a car and spend your budget smart.

pic related

This is the stupidest thing I've read on the internet today. Do you have any fucking idea how dangerous cars from the 1950s were in a bad crash?

Steering column through your brain. No crumple zones, and so engine cuts off your legs. No seatbelts. Everything inside flammable as fuck. No ABS. No airbags. I got you, senpai - 1960s cars

Google some old car crash tests. See how bodies get mangled during 45 mph collisions.

>BBQ's
i knew my life was wrong, i need to mount two bbq pits where the headlights are

"They don't make them like they used to" is said about far more than cars, and the cause is always the same.

With any category of antiques, the most memorable examples are the ones that are around the longest, and the ones that last the longest are typically the most well-made. The mediocre and shitty pieces were discarded and forgotten decades ago.

Car safety in the old days.

youtu.be/bDzuXZPO06E

Check it
Most old cars have made it 50+ years in those exact conditions
BTFO

Another example of selective memory here- people who experienced high-speed collisions in 1960s cars didn't survive to remember them.

Instead, people remember low-speed impacts that happen in parking lots and such, where old cars get a scratch that buffs out, and new cars have a body panel cave in because crumple zone. "They don't make them like that anymore!"

Try moving to a no fault state, then the poor innocent jackass has to get an insurance increase too!
t. poor, innocent jackass from detroit

The quality of a nation's cars usually stands in correlation to their general economic well being. Japan did well in the 70s to 90s, and that's when they built their best cars. The US did well in the 50s and 60s and then badly in the 70s and 80s, and it too shows in their cars.

>Most cars have a soft limiter to hold the rpm at 3k or so to avoid idiocy.
wat.PNG

I sure hope you aren't talking about launch control.

Not sure if its a "classic" but I'll take my car over a modern mini-van any day.

Most modern cars have it to where if the transmission is in Park or Neutral, when you slam on the gas, it'll only rev up to 3000 RPM

No.No they haven't. If MOST made it you would see TONS more than you do today.

This looks like a shit show. No wonder some people choose never to drive.

All cars are only going to be as good as you up keep them.

I'll take a reinforced frame on an older car, and slap a new crate engine/tranny in it and be as happy as any faggot who is blowing 40k on a brand new car with integrated SatNav and bluetooth speakers.

My car is a fun utility, not a luxury.

Honestly the only cars worth mentioning aren't the cars of the past but the trucks. Everyone is always going on about one pristine Camaro or one pristine vette but in reality they were kept in a climate controlled garage and waxed weekly. Trucks though could be beat to shit parked outside and still serve a function today. At the end of the day a car is nothing more than a tool.

Cuck

How is the fusion a shitbox?

They also don't illuminate nearly as well as HIDs

I daily drive a 1966 Imperial with boosted drums; literally not a problem.

Most were driven into the ground and then scrapped; as is the fate of 90% of cars.

I guarentee that 95% of most cars today wont last that long either. What's your point?

>what is cash for clunkers

this

Bunch of fucking pussies in this thread.

Waa aaaaaaa muh muh safettyyyyyy
Waaaa Waaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I suck shit at driving so I need protection

You are fucking stupid. Its not about you its about all the other morons on the road.

Thanks for proving my point, stop being so unskilled you can't avoid shitty drivers.

older cars handled like fucking garbage and has drum braces, nuff said

Do you realize how dumb you sound?

It may sound dumb but the logic is sound. If you're not a good enough driver to avoid accidents then I'm sorry, I guess I shouldn't exoect everyone to be competent.

waiting at red light, boxed in on right lane, car comes flying around corner and fucking deletes you

"Hurr, if only i was a better driver"

HIDs put out a ton of heat I have no idea what you're going on about. LEDs are the ones that don't heat up.

Modern cars almost universally have a galvanized frame. Ferritic Nitrocarburizing is finally making it to drivetrain components en masse which nearly eliminates corrosion.

I had a 70 Dart with a Slant Six. It didn't make much power, but the car itself didn't handle too bad for the era. It had drum brakes, so you got about two or three hard applications before the brakes faded.
I towed a friends 4-wheel drive mini pickup out of a mud hole with it. It did surprisingly well as a stoner's ersatz off-road vehicle.

There's something about this video that makes me disgusted and sad at the same time.

Should've left some more space.
You can blame others all you want but accidents can be avoided.