What does Veeky Forums think of the newer miatas...

what does Veeky Forums think of the newer miatas? I've seen a lot of people on here who love the 90's and early 2000s models but never any love for this year. Why? Is it shit? Tell me more about this car.

No pop ups, heavier.

Objectively better than the NA and NB

NB => ND >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NC >>> NA

The NC isn't really a bad car, but it's a bad feelsy, light sports car and there's way better options for the price. The NB itself is a direct upgrade over the NA including weight and handling, "muh popups" isn't an argument.

NA and NC fanboys will vehemently defend their cars, but the NA is just the result of poorfaggotry/falling for memes and the NC is a lack of research and car knowledge.

NDs are good, but NCs are pigfat trash.

Owned a NB (2000) and a NC (2007). I can't think of anything I prefer about the NB

so is people's love for the NA more of an aesthetic thing, and NB's are better in every way but visual shit?

I've owned 2 NA's, 2 NC's, 1 NB, and ill be looking at an ND in the next year.

The NA has a great recipe, but age hasn't treated it well (especially as clean examples get picked up by initial d weebs, and "my first rwd car" teenagers.

The NB is a heavier NA with a few updates, but the least desirable because bench racers bitch over 100lbs of refinement.

The NC is the heaviest, but the best creature comforts, daily drive ability, and bang for buck.

ND is objectively the best due to lower curb weight, chassis development, engine tuning, and creature comforts. However, it's also expensive af right now.

An clean NA with under 100k miles can be had for 4-8k. The same condition NB will go for a little less. The NC can be had for under $10k. The ND hasn't reliably dropped below $20k yet.

If you're a track-day/autocross enthusiast, get the NA because sure, I guess the 100lbs difference might make a difference. If you're poor and want to get in a miata for cheap as a daily, get the NB. If you can splurge a little bit, but still want a cheap car that you can daily, get the NC. If you want what objectively is the better miata to start building on for either track days, autocross, or daily driving, AND you have a nice bank account, get the ND.

They all have their pros and cons, but my favorite was the NC so far because I didn't have to worry about an almost 30 year old car having almost 30 year old car problems, and it looked way better than the NB.

There are like 3 guys at my work that all drive silver NCs. They're starting to grow on me

this was really helpful actually. I'll be looking at NB miatas this thursday. Thanks!

How tall are yoy, btw? I'm 6'2" and I just don't fit in NA's or NB's without modification to the seat.

NC and ND are for drivers over 6 foot tall.

Anyone over 6 feet will have issues looking out of the front window in anything but the early NA's. The ND is the worst in this regard.

The 94+ NA is also heavier than the 90-93 (albeit better brakes and differential)

NC has the least direct steering of them all and the worst suspension, and still kinda overpriced considering how much better the ND is.

I own a none stock 2006 Grand Touring

ask me anything

Great car if you're a manlet and a twink.

vroom vroom!

Current model has the advantage of still being fairly light, but the price for a new mx5 is a bit too steep. It makes a new Toyobaru seem like a good bargain.

Give it a couple year for the current version to drop 6-8 grand and people will praise it more.

NC is currently the best Miata to buy because faggots and boy racers can't afford them and/or don't want them. Boomers are finally selling them to get the newer ones, so if you like well-maintained reasonable-mileage cars, the NC is the only option.

Don't fall for the pop-ups meme. Don't fall for the "muh NB" meme. The NC is just as capable, responds to mods just as well, and can even take a 2.5L mazda/ford engine swap with minimal effort (adds 30WHP and some nice torque). MZR might swap in nicely too, unsure.

Plus, the Power Hardtop is fucking nice. Looks goofy with the top up, but it sure beats having a RHT that can get stolen or a soft top that needs replacing every few years/can be slashed easily.

they're good

ND is a lot better than NC.

a lot of people dislike the NC because of how big and round and ugly it is at the front. and i agree, the facelifted NC looks a lot better than the original one in OP's pic

Because they can't afford them.

I came in to vehemently defend my NC. I don't understand whats so bad about it, I mean, you take compromises with any car. The pop-ups bit gave me a chuckle though

They're okay cars, but they're significantly heavier and more expensive, and have never had the same sort of aftermarket support that the NA and NB had back in their day.

The funny thing is that it "solved" all of the "problems" with the earlier cars (it's insanely stiff for a convertible, 25+ more horsepower compared to the BP engine, 5 lug hubs for more wheel options, much more interior and trunk space, much less road noise, optional PRHT, etc), and as a reward it became the worst selling Miata ever. I'd say that proves that the Miata isn't about being a "good" car, it's about being bad in all the right ways.

So, if you want a good car, get an NC.
If you want a Miata, get an NA (and replace the entire suspension and drivetrain with NB parts).

>MZR might swap in nicely too, unsure.
What did he mean by this?

I'm 5'5. One of the best things about being a faggot is that i don't have to feel bad for being short, AND I get to own a miata without being uncomfortable.

yeeeeeeeeee i am.

I really like the new miata hardtops, but as a fat American, I could never ever ever drive one.

>still kinda overpriced considering how much better the ND is
You can get a NC from £3k here while the cheapest NDs (used) are from £16k. Sure the ND is better but not 5 times better.

Steering feel isn't that different between the NB and NC. ND steering is really light which I quite like but some people say is a bit disconnected

I think you are mixing them models up ...

My brother owns one and like every miata owner he is completely autistic about it claiming it is the ultimate driving machine and how he spanks every BMW made in corners.

It's a great car to drive, it is simple (apart from the metal roof construction, that's genious) and pretty well built but nothing fancy at all, plastic rules the cabin. Great shifter feel, great steering response nice thick steering wheel, good brakes, great package overall. Wouldn't get one without the steel roof or a hardtop sold with it.

Oh yeah, its quite slow.

no he doesn't
since he's using pounds as a currency so it's safe to assume hes from the uk
miatas are dirt cheap there from what i've heard

as for the models it goes like this
na is the purest of them all, lightest and has most potential to shave even more weight

nc is comfortable as fuck but also has a really good track potential if you got the money
yes, it's a superior track car than na or nb

nd which is simply the best in every possible way bar the fact that it has electric steering, but that doesn't stop it from having great driving feel on the wheel

which leaves the nb, the unwanted child left
it's not different like the nc and not really much better than na
that's why nb owners are so aggressive as you can see itt, because they are pissed and looking for rationalization of their purchase way too hard

They are FAAAABULOOOUS!

nigger you cant get an NC for 3K unless its beat to absolute shit.

I'm not, if you're willing to settle for a high mileage (100,000mi) 1.8 soft top you can get one for well under £3k.

Some user in /mg/ got his NC for $6k iirc which is about what I paid for mine after converting to £

yeah i've seen that they're slow, but apparently despite that they're still fun as fuck. Idk I'm between getting a 90s civic hatchback/coupe or a miata. I don't know why I'm between these two but I'm tired of driving an automatic '02 celica that i've had for 4 years and need to drive a manual that is fast and/or fun.

I still don't understand fursuits. They cost so fucking much and you could buy something way more useful.

I love my NC but I really think it would benefit from firmer suspension. Had an old eunos before this and I really liked the feel of it.

They are cool cars but in my personal opinion it is simply not worth owning one of the later generations. If you're unaware, the generation chronology is NA (1989-1997), NB (1998-2005), NC (2005-2015), and the most recent ND in 2016.

NA is without a doubt the classic Miata that everyone knows and love. Small, lightweight, dorky, and has the pop-up headlights. It's unrefined and dated in a lot of ways but that is part of the charm. Ironically, this is not the cheapest generation of Miata out there. These all used the famous 1.6 Liter engine up until 1995 I think, so the later year NAs (95-97) have the faster 1.8 Liter. So usually the later years is the most desired. Because of the age, NAs are hard to find in good shape.

NB is basically a better Miata but a worse NA - if that makes any sense. You lose the pop-up headlights. The car is outfitted with a bunch of upgrades regarding safety, chassis rigidity, and so on. These are actually the cheapest Miatas you can find right now. Depending on what you plan on doing with your Miata, I would honestly recommend the NB in most cases. Track racing or doing autocross? Go with NB. People don't realize that the NAs literally need aftermarket chassis bracing if you're serious about suspension upgrades. I haven't personally driven an NB so I can't comment on how it compares to the NA but I honestly can't imagine it's too different. If you want a small, nimble, good handling car and don't give a shit about the Miata heritage, go with the NB. If you're into the whole #solow #flipupheadlights #cambergang life, you're gonna want to go with the NA.

Fuck the NC.

and fuck the ND

>fuck nice things I can't afford

There is no point to the NC or ND. You're better off buying a 350z or z4

or S2000

They really are, not painfully slow but not sportscar like at all. The engine is a peach though, i cant blame him for buying one, its not like there is a lot of choice in that segment and it is very reliable.

I don't like the S2000 but that is also a good alternative. The appeal of the earlier generation Miatas is the performance to value ratio. Yeah, they aren't that fast, but they are dirt cheap and handle well.

Once you start entering NC or ND territory, you're forced to reconcile with the fact that the car is slow as shit. And now you also don't have the freedom to turn it into a project car like you can with a NA or NB because you don't want to devalue your new NC/ND.

Maybe some people are into it, but I just don't see the point.

>because you don't want to devalue your new NC
I have no issues with this. It's a 10 year old shitbox, at least mine is.

>buy Miata NB
>refurbish/refresh everything
>swap F20C engine from S2000
>or S54B32 BMW legendary S6 engine
>or if you are feeling crazy V8 from vette/V10 from skek
>do the rest, brakes/suspension/roll bar/etc

Enjoy the ULTIMATE miata experience, under the price of ND

>$500 and an afternoon

Because kiddies can't afford newer miatas

i searched the catalog and there's no miata general, why is that

Basically. Personally I love how the NB looks and can't stand the NA, but that's subjective.

>thinks his NC is anything impressive

>implying I own an NC

People shit on NCs but they're the only ones which don't look overly femenine

This
Facelift NC or no NC

I always wonder if complaints that miats are slow come mostly from America where most roads are long and straight

I live in rural England and its just corner after corner so I never really felt like I needed much more power

The S2000 is worse than the NC though. It's a one trick pony, all it has is the 9000 RPM redline.