mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/i2d87h
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Will releasing a demo with placeholder free music tarnish the first impressions of any potential players?

What progress will you make today?

Don't forget to vote in the poll:
poal.me/i2d87h
poal.me/i2d87h
poal.me/i2d87h

Rules:
> 1. You vote for the options which you don't want to win.

> 2. At the end of the round 50% of the lowest voted options make it to the next round.

> 3. If dropping out or getting to the next round is in question, that option can get to the next round. (for example, when an option which is outside 50% has the same amount of votes as some options which which made it inside the 50% lowest.

xpost:

in unity how can I wait to continue in a method until the Scene is loaded?

void Start()
{
LoadScene(scene);
//wait until scene is loaded
InitializeGameObjects();
}

Only call it a demo if it's the real game stripped down to necessities. Placeholder stuff is "Early Access", "Prototype", or "Alpha".

Git question

I have finished working on a branch and merged it with master. Do I have any reason to keep it around anymore or can I just delete it?

Quick, someone give me a relatively simple 2D game idea that I can get back into programming with.

But we can at least agreed 40 is way too old to be trying to gamedev, right?

Post your dev stations

Tower Defense

Jonathan Blow is 46.

First enemy is in! Well, almost. I still have to add animations, but atleast it looks good in the game.

If your arthritis is stopping you from using MKB, you have 10 years left until you can't be a dev anymore.

If a 40 year old makes good choices, one can dev for at least 40 years. Your brain works exactly as long as you use it. If you use it up to your 80ies then your brain will be as sharp as it was at 40 - not to mention what the medical sciences could come up with by that time.

>enemy
>cute old man turtle
I wouldn't fight him
either make him menacing or make him an ally

In December 2004, feeling inspired during a trip in Thailand, Blow made a prototype for a time manipulation puzzle platformer game. The demo had crude graphics, but featured the ability of the player to rewind all the objects on screen backwards in time to a previous state. Encouraged by feedback from his peers, Blow worked on the game from about April 2005 to about December that year before having the final prototype of his game, titled Braid. This version won the Independent Games Festival Game Design Award at the 2006 Game Developers Conference.

He continued work on the game mostly focusing on art and music while polishing some of the design until its release in 2008 on Xbox Live Arcade. By then, Blow was $40,000 in debt and had invested $200,000 into the game's development.

The game was released on August 8, 2008 to critical acclaim and achieved financial success, receiving an aggregate score of 93% on Metacritic, making it the top-rated Xbox Live Arcade game. Braid was purchased by more than 55,000 people during the first week of release. Blow recalled that he didn't receive any money until one day he saw a lot of zeroes in his bank account.
user, do YOU have any peers to encourage you?

>user, do YOU have any peers to encourage you?
I have /agdg/ for that.

I am my own peer.

I believe in you!

Impostor syndrome (also known as impostor phenomenon or fraud syndrome) is a concept describing high-achieving individuals who are marked by an inability to internalize their accomplishments and a persistent fear of being exposed as a "fraud". The term was coined in 1978 by clinical psychologists Pauline R. Clance and Suzanne A. Imes. Despite external evidence of their competence, those exhibiting the syndrome remain convinced that they are frauds and do not deserve the success they have achieved. Proof of success is dismissed as luck, timing, or as a result of deceiving others into thinking they are more intelligent and competent than they believe themselves to be. Some studies suggest that impostor syndrome is particularly common among high-achieving women.

Are you a fraud, user?

Reposting because I want people to see this.

I recommend reading some books. I'll note which of these I've actually read with an X (I realized the story thing would be years in the future so I stopped reading these for now and just let the story cook in my mind).

The ones I've read I know are very, very good, and I expect all of them to be

[x] Novelist's Essential Guide to Creating Plot by J. Madison Davis
[x] Character & Viewpoint by Orson Scott Card
[ ] Conflict, Action & Suspense by William Noble
[ ] Notes to Screenwriters by Vicki Peterson and Barbara Nicolosi (this one was actually a gift so perhaps look into it a bit closer)
[ ] The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
[ ] The Language of Names by Justin Kaplan and Anna Bernays
[ ] Our Marvelous Native Tongue, The Life and Times of the English Language by Robert Claiborne

Two others which are probably just solid anthologies (perhaps not as generally relevant)
[ ] Mythology, Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes by Edith Hamilton
[ ] Dictionary of Phrase & Fable, The Quintessential Guide to Myth, Folklore, Legend and Literature (Wordsworth Reference Series)

The Orson Scott Card and William Noble books are part of a series, look for the other ones in that series. But particularly the two that I've read are absolutely fantastic. They will take you from zero to hero (and who'd've thought?). Take notes and highlight for reference. Joseph Campbell is a well known master of the subject and THwaTF is probably his definitive work from what I can tell.

What are you trying to justify with this, by the way? Why does it hurt you when someone older than you share the same passion as you do?

Your mom is too old for whoring herself out for cigs at the gas station and she still goes for it. Don't let anyone ever tell you you are too old to follow your dreams.

Thays all well and good, but what did Soulja Boy think?

Exactly.

fixing soon

holy shit

Thank you user, I will read them eventually.

I don't have any successes with which to convince myself I was unworthy of.

this game aint about nothin.

N O T D E D

Score system is go, propably gonna tweak it a bit (harder enemies give more points?)

Arm-chair psycho-analysing myself, I would say that I may have exhibited that kind of behaviour in my past. Learning my trade I finished tradeschool with the equivalent of straight As for the complete theoretical half of my apprenticeship and a B for overall praxis.
On the other hand that wasn't really difficult though, because due to school policy only the literally dumbest and rudest people wouldn't get a pass, so I'm convinced that bumped up my grades.
Then for the final exam I basically cheated, because everyone had to do a project, but literally nobody did. It was just not feasable for the factory to allow that, and the exam was based purely on the documentation we had to create on said project.
So I am literally a fraud.

Hey it's my first time in these threads.

I've coded before, but it's been ages, and last time I did it was with a game-specific language which will be mostly useless to me except in reminding me how much there is to learn.

What I'm making is an isometric RPG with out of battle controls like the first Mario RPG, and an in-battle like any given Breath of Fire but with a large emphasis on movement and team-strategy.

It's been a lot of fun making the assets, and I intend to code everything, knowing well in advance how much of a pain in the ass isometry can be. But I am curious what engine is best suited for it.

I've had both Gamemaker and Godot suggested to me. As for the language used, all I know is that I should avoid Python if I want to take it seriously as I really get in there.

If it's a hobby, who gives a fuck
If you have a sustainable income, who gives a fuck
If you're a NEET outcast in your parents' basement, you probably haven't given a single fuck your entire life, why would you give a fuck then

A more relevant question is, are your peers willing to fund your pixel platformer for $160,000.

[GaymerGate] Also helps to have your peers be part of the SanFranCircleJerk, invest in your company, and chair of the award your game wins.[/Gaymer]

>parents' basement
Have you ever had an original thought in your life sir.

I'm not just being a dick, I am actually asking.

I just have my laptop, my mouse and sometimes I sit on the shitty couch instead of the chair.
I have a big ass TV that I have never used too but a single screen is okay for me.

Why is this retard who has never made a game still shitposting these polls?

Fact: The future of indie game making is in South America.

How did you come to terms with the fact that art is not progress?

He's also quit gamedev forever.

SEA is cheaper and has better traps.

Blow just released The Witness and is now making his third game.

You are probably thinking of Phil the Fish.

I think the monkey spamming these polls and a handful of other brilliant examples from agdg would prove otherwise.

In fact I was.

I'm not super sure. I think I'm just going to work on some content so that there's more for people to do on demo day

We know the poll spammer is from south america?

> As for the language used, all I know is that I should avoid Python if I want to take it seriously as I really get in there.

Memes and slander.

Python is the best thing to use when you want to code stuff without actually knowing how to get anything in your game to work. It doesn't constrain you like the "close-to-iron" languages and it is general enough to code a whole game. Python comes pre-packaged with features that you would have to code from scratch in C++. This is a major plus of python. In Python you can use advanced programming paradigms and abstractions from the get go and they are built to be like a natural part of the language.

My approach to devving:
1.Make a prototype build in python.
2.If I get most of the functionality into the game and all subsystems work, I analyse the code, draw diagrams and shit.
3.Then I port it over to a more professional language.

If you are making a game for which there are a lot of tutorials and resources for, you can start coding them in professional languages right away.

As for me, there is basically no resources for the kind of games I like to make. So, I have to figure out every single thing by myself. And when I am programming a program about which I know nothing in advance, I can't afford myself the pointless overhead that comes with the professional languages - thus, I code the first working prototype in Python.

Argentines don't count, they need to be nuked.

Is it normal in Unity to end up with like 5 singleton managers and a bunch of managers for different scenes? Feels like everything's managers, managers, managers..

Indeed.

Give me an example of an original thought first

I'm from Estonia.

wow

Sitting around drinking and gorging themselves on beef all day for generations seems to have imbued them with some interesting personalities. And zero intelligence.

>the "just tell your boss that you don't want to work but still want to get paid" guy is also the poll spammer
HOLY SHIT FUCK OFF ALREADY

You're from wherever we say you're from, boy. Now take your polls and choke to death on them your shitty little menu simulator lite dino jam "game" doesn't excuse any of this retardation. You should fucking kill yourself.

>If you're 20 now you'll have 20 years to learn code and art to make game
>know within your heart that you're probably just going to waste away that 20 years reading the introduction of half a dozen programming books, making crap line art for your "game idea", and crapping on other people's games on 4chins

I might just rape this little nigga from Estonia right now. Who wants in on this?

How do I into music for games.

>game has stolen art
>game has stolen audio
>game has stolen gameplay
stop doing this

Please remove your bigotry from the thread.

holy fuck. and I thought a whiteboard with stacked books as legs was pushing it

neither of those towers are plugged in to anything

>get bucks
>hire someone

Looks like we got a snitch here. Someone get the duct tape.

Those screens are connected to the broken laptop on the desk

Do you happen to have a throwaway email or something?

>do YOU have any peers to encourage you?
I have fans. Worth a lot more than the "peers" here or elsewhere.

some small improvements.

Whoa weird.

How do the controls work? I'm trying to figure it out just by looking an I can only guess that's all mouse and WASD and that double-tapping does the speed thing.

That's a wacom, not a laptop.

Look on the left dummy

>doubletap to dodge

this should never be a thing

I will second this question. I've never used branches aside from master (new to git), but I would guess you're supposed to delete the branch if you're not using it

>The keyboard is a laptop with no screen
Fucking kek

>need help with something
>user links a 200 page PDF

You are welcome to come. My wolfhound is getting bored out of his mind. He only gets to chase and bark at the same old tresspassing bears, wolves, boars and elk. I think he already knows a couple of them by name.

nah, dash is its own button.

also realized bombs should disable lasers/lightning.

>receive warning
>think it's for a shitpost in agdg
>it's some harmless post in /pol/ in a thread that apparently was "off topic"
nu4Chan sure is getting weird.

Yea sure, you can contact me from here [email protected]

You could probably still get good at either programming or art in that timescale, just not both.

>wolfhound
Little bitch breed.

can I fuck him

Neat!

>fucking horse sized dog
>little bitch breed
what did he mean by this?

I think he blew a load into one of the she-wolves last month. So he is out of heat.

Q U E S T I O N

Is a native resolution of 960x540 too much for a pixel game? In other words, if I make a background for a stage and it's 960x540 and I want to view the entire background at all times, would I be too busy with art to maek gaem?

Looking at images of that resolution it does seem like there's too much detail to them and I would never get anywhere.

But when I look at half that res, 480x270, it just seems like all the detail is gone and I approach "pixelshit", characters without faces or 1 pixel thin legs. Also, there are less pixels to work with and movement is less fluid.

Do I just have to deal with the shortcomings of 270p or the increased workload of 540p and just liek maek vidya?

>think of game you want to make
>start writing up a design document
>browse steam
>someone released the same game on early access three months ago

kill me

god i wish that were me

Engine deving is for _____

having engine

Little bitch men get a wolfhound and then spin tales about how their mop donkey is descended from ancient warriors and blah blah. There are many breed stronger and just as big. A wolfhound is just a shaggy overly anxious doofus who will get wrecked by a more majestic Mastiff or Great Dane.

What game?

I have countless text files in a folder called "Game Ideas". All are either amazingly shit, entirely plot and not gameplay, or slight variations on existing games.

If it's even a little bit different or you think you can make it a little bit better I say go for it.

what sort of libraries do you use for graphics in python
what is your opinion of things like unity / unreal

>Still making pixelshit games.

If you want the visuals to be an highlight of your game, you're gonna need 540p. If your gameplay can carry the game, you can risk the 270p.

I'd go with the 540p either way though, mostly for the issues with 270p you just mentioned.

>friend gives me the book "Getting Things Done"
>I keep putting off actually reading it
>procrastinating instead of learning how to stop procrastinating
Thanks for the recommendations, user. Those sound genuinely interesting. Maybe even enough to overpower the fact that my eyes glaze over instantly when I start reading non-fiction.

>google "wolf"hound
>it's actually just a shaggy dog that looks nothing like a wolf

This is why you need to hire a professional ideas guy.

To anyone done melee in a 3D game, how did you manage it?

Im thinking either making a cone like hitbox to check or a small wide ranged projectile that lasts very short amount of time.

>He's also quit gamedev forever

wat, within the last few weeks? because:

>4) No, I never came anywhere close to quitting, because I knew this was always the best thing I had ever worked on.
>5) We will see! I have some ideas for games that explicitly involve being fast, and other ones that don't.

shouldn't stop you desu

I mean, that seattle guy made harvest moon clone