/Classic Car General/

/Classic Car General/

Sensuous steel edition

A thread devoted to the appreciation all classics regardless of nationality or condition.

In which we:

Blog about electrical gremlins
Pray to the carb gods
Curse the very thought of vaporlock
Argue about Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar vs. AMC vs International
Learn new stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z29xbvZRK2g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Whats the best car company and why is it pontiac?

Cadillac

That's not how you spell Oldsmobile

you're a poor old nigger

Finally I've remembered to get updated pictures of my truck. A lot of work has been done to it recently. I think I'm just going to leave it under primer for now.

What model is that, and how much did you pay for it?

It's a 1977 Ford F150 Custom. I only paid for the gas to get it back to my house. The person I got it from wanted us to clean up their place so they could sell it. There was this vehicle, a bus, a 1960s Ford Ranger, and two vans. This truck had no motor when I got it and the trans was bad. It became a project for my dad and I. It has a 460 out of an RV with 30k miles on it.

Why do the two door versions of cars cost more than the four door versions? An example I've seen would be old 70s cadillacs.

Because two doors usually look better and have a sportier or cooler stigma. 4 doors are family cars.

This and I'm european(not the salty one though) cadillac is one of the best things you americans have produced

You spelt Lincoln weird.

Hopefully getting my car back soon.

You're both right, but it depends on which year and model you're comparing.

Recently saw a Cord 812 for sale on Craigslist for $24k. Look like a solid complete car at a ridiculously good price. Unfortunately I don't have $24k to get it.

79 trans am guy again and I had another question about fan clutches. It's overheating at idle and will a fan clutch really help with that? I mean it's not going to spin faster than my fixed fan is it?

What motor?

Olds 403

Hi 79 trans am guy, i am also a 79 trans am guy. A clutch fan will engage only when needed. This wont help you. The question is why are you overheating.. unless younare running some very high compression your stock fan setup will be up to it.

Time to find the real issue.. water pump or rad.

You could always do a aluminum rad with electric fan setup. Get it out of a 4th gen for am easy upgrade. This will also let some ponies loose as well as weight savings

Nice 403, i am rocking a 454 in my chicken

most likely it's the radiator since it's probably a bit small and I don't think original to the car. I'll get some pictures of it and maybe that'll support my theory
Cool! I really need to hook up a pcv port like yours on my valve cover because it smokes some when the engine is warm.

Why not a 455? Just curious

If you are on a tight budget get a late 90s ford taurus fan and rad from a junkyard. Should be dirt cheap and the taurus fan is rated at a crazy high 4500 cfm. ... that is only if you can live with knowing a ford product is in your gm lol

I think the step by step is on nastyz28.com

Started taking the flat black off today and was pleasantly surprised with this decent after market paint job. I like it enough that I'm going to keep it I think. Give it a good wax and buff and drive 'er.

454 has an endless aftermarket and is cheaper to build up, easy to make big power, most consider it a superior engine.... blah...blah...blah...i live in canada and i never see pontiac tuners etc...

Now that its said and done, i wish i got a 455 instead. Oh well...

Also replaced the valve cover gaskets today and managed to fuck up one or more of my plug wires, because it runs like shit all the sudden. New wires on the way.

Painted the covers and cleaned up while I was under the hood, doesn't look half bad.

I'm on a bit of a budget but I don't think I could live with myself having anything ford on my car unless it was absolutely necessary. Also I know the fan shroud is awful but I didn't think it would affect airflow that bad.

here's another

That shroud is doing more harm than good.

oh shit really? The previous owner whom I like to call Herbert the hack installed it by wing nutting it through the radiator.

Rad looks small and yes a shroud really effects a puller fan, you're setup is basically shroudless. I wouldnt be surprised that a shroud and maybe a bigger blade fan will elminate your heat issue.

+1

Looks nice, what are the plans for the intake?

At the moment, nothing. The engine runs, well, was running strong. When it requires further work I'll take care of painting when I do that.

Since Veeky Forums is full of nothing but shitposting, I figure I can ask you guys.

Have any of use ever used an acrylic or ceramic based sealant/wax for your car? My father has a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang that he and I usually take to a few car shows a year. At the last show we were at, a gentlemen that owns a detailing shop asked my father if he ever thought about putting a 3 or 4 year sealant on his car. He claimed that his acrylic or ceramic based sealant would make it so my father wouldn't have to wax his car for 3 years or more and offers the best possible protection for his paint compared to traditional waxes/sealants. This sounds like bullshit to me, but after googling it it sounds like this stuff could possibly be legit. As it stand now, I wax the Mustang once a month and I just do it the good ol' fashion way. Thoughts?

Holy, what a transformation. Looking forward to an update when the rest of the black is gone.

>taking the flat black off
How?

Lacquer thinner. Works like a charm, and the paint underneath hasn't been affected thanks to it's glossy finish.

>Whats the best car company and why is it pontiac?
>you're a poor old nigger
who thinks it's a Cadillac

Should I keep the original colors of a car?
I would like to repaint it on another color scheme of the same model but people keep telling me it'll drop it's value

What car and color and what drivetrain.

If it's a base model 72 Camaro, then paint it whatever you want

God damn user

Blade pitch. A factory style fan will move fan more air at the same rpm than that aftermarket noisemaker that's on it.

As for electric fans almost no aftermarket fans move the necessary volume. There are some used in original equipment applications that move enough air, like the Mark 8, 3.8 Taurus, 4th gen Camaro, but come with their own problems such as initial and continuous amperage draws and control logic. Not impossible to overcome just more research and work.

Look at the fan that's on there and you'll see immediately why it runs hot at low speeds.

That is looking pretty good there. Should look pretty decent when you get the black paint off

Y'know that one really long plug with you always get for IHC SVs?
Put that one on #7 and run it around behind the carburetor.

Apparently they get crosstalk between #5 and #7. That might be the reason it runs like shit.

>plug with
Plug wire*

Here, this is what I did on my dusty, crusty piece of shit. I know you can do better.

If I added a spacer and got the fan under it would that shroud still be okay to use?

>mfw I could potentially be shitposting a beat up '77 silver Lincoln Continental Mk. V in a few weeks.
How do you guys find tires? The biggest issue is that the car was stored for years (60k miles apparently) and it suffers from tire rot.

Well, you find tires by going to a tire shop. Not too difficult. Otherwise, most vehicle junk yards keep tires that are in good shape. I got a decent set of 4 from my local one for $160

I'm hopeful with this prospect, my second worry is that because it's been stored away for so long that the tires have succumbed to Dry Rot, other things may have gone wrong.
Here's the engine by the way.

Thanks for the heads up, bro. I'll give it a shot!

Any love for the 944 on here?

Them 80s body style and slow as shit 4cyl

Quick question, could i theoretically put a chevy ls2 engine in a 1978 trans am?

Theoretically you could put a Geo Metro on a Detroit 8V-71.

I don't know why you'd want a 262ci V6 diesel. Unless you want the super economy. And to go slow.
Also it's a transverse FWD engine so you might run in to some issues there. I have no clue if it uses the BOP pattern or the GM 60* V6 pattern.

Supposed to be another beautiful day in Northern Maine. God knows we've earned it. This winter sucked.

>supposed to be working on my cars my only day off this week but instead I'm puking up bile

anyone got a gun? Please kill me.

>got incredibly sick from cleaning out car with bleach
haven't been able to wrench for a week now.

How do you guys get AN fittings not to leak when plumbing up a carb?

I try to tighten it as much as possible without damaging the carb, but it seems to be leaking fuel.

Sure. Though I think that at this point the question is more why wouldn't you rather than could you.

I have a Weber 32/36 on my 74' shitbox, it starts fine and high revs lije it should when cold, but once its warm the idle is too low and it bogs to death.

Timing, fuel mix and idle screw are adjusted as they should be, but still bogs to death unless a snap of the throttle feeds more fuel.

The carb makes a strange noise like when you suck a liquid through a straw but as if it were clogged.

Would this point to a bad Power Valve? All jets are clean, new fuel filter, correct fuel level inside the carb etc.

Its pissing me off I can't drive my little old car.

Where the fuck is your engine, bud?

IDK make sure the choke is coming all the way off when it's warm, and make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks.

Should I buy a 40 year old Civic off Craigslist for 3500? It looks pretty nice

Its a tiny 1.4l boxer. It ran fine until recently. The carb comes off choke normally, it's an electric choke. But that weird noise from the carb is what I'mconcerned about.

Can I in ?

what cc engine you have ?

>you will never own an X300 XJR with the licence plate 'X300 XJR' because it's illegal to put an X reg plate on a car made before 1999

Why even live?

lol I figured it out once I saw the spark plugs and the intake runner... And the big open space for the spare tire. Thought it was a rotary at first though.

A little noise from the carb is normal, since there's air rushing past the throttle plate and all.
But what you can do is take a couple feet of hose, and probe around the carb with the engine running. If there's a vacuum leak, that'll tell you where it's coming from.
There's another method of finding vacuum leaks but that involves spraying brake cleaner around the the carb and listening for the sound to change.

Sure why not? Post the craiglist so we can check it out

bleach is a bitch. when i used it i woke up feeling confused as fuck all the time for the following week after I used it

What ever happened to catstang?

>REV UP YOUR ENGINES!

youtube.com/watch?v=Z29xbvZRK2g

1l, 48hp

how bad is it to use bondo anyway?

ive got a rust hole the size of my palm in my door skin. I would rather weld in a patch but im too poor and stupid, if i grinded as much as i could, put some rust converter on it it should be alright, right?

anybody have some love for gutless 6 cylinder boat anchor """economy""" engines?

Ive found you can build up a fair few classic American cars from the frame up from remanufacturers/aftermarket, so why can't i do this with an air-cooled Porsche 911? I've tried googling, the most I've seen are speedster kit cars

Had an emotional outburst so he took off his trip out of embarrassment.

I have one

There's many reasons why I'm swapping out for a v8

Looking at pic related for first car i know its a ugly color but been wanting an older car.

You can do that but it'll never look right since thick filler doesn't cure correctly so it'll bulge or sag after you think it's fine. And even then it'll be a problem in less than a year because it absorbs moisture and swells. Basically more work for nothing imo.

Honestly, that's a terrible idea. Get something that you can easily get parts for with a shred of reliability. Hell a VW beetle would be a little more sensible choice

I bought a '71 Super Beetle. PO did some pretty bad wiring fuckery, but it's mechanically sound aside from ~50 year old cloth fuel line engine fire bait.

I'm excited to do the first real work on it this weekend.

Cool! Any big plans for it?

Nice, does it look stock aside from the wiring? Also, how well do you know beetles?

Lmao nigga 850s are fairly easy to find parts for if you know how to look. Expect for things that are normally hard to find for all classics it can be found. Although the headlights for the 850 Sport Spider which are unobtainable and are shared with the Miura which means when they do become available you'll probably be outbid

You can do a lot of work to them and they won't be gutless anymore bro.

You already made up your mind, if you're going to buy it then buy it.

Fucking love these taillights

>Ran when parked
>I know what I have
10000$

get out the mig gun buddy

some rust on trim

66 Dart reporting in. Replacing the master cylinder tonight, and hopefully get it tuned up.

3 speed? 170 or 225?

solid, tight
can you raise the shirt so I can see under?

3spd auto with a 225

Sorry for the potato quality.

If any of yall are in the Alabama area, its for sell. Im gonna have it at the Mopars at the Battleship show on the 29th.

Its a true Private Malone car. Original owner bought it in 67, got drafted in 69, and never came back. His wife let it sit in a barn for 45+ years until some guy got it up and running in 2014.