HEY Veeky Forums! First time poster here

HEY Veeky Forums! First time poster here.
So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I currently own a 2012 Toyota Corolla that my parents bought new for me out of college.
It's been a pretty fine car, it was actually my first. Never broke down on me in the 5 years I had it except the battery dying once, which was a $350 fix(!)
However, it's getting up there in miles (109,861) and is supposedly gonna need brakes and front suspension work done soon.
My dad seems to think it's time to get something new but this time he's giving me the choice to pick out what I get. He will be cosigning on the loan since I can't really afford it all at the moment haha.
We're a Toyota family, and going back to when I was born my parents haven't owned anything else. I can't imagine owning anything else but my friend Ari is reallllly into cars and stuff has been trying to convince me to buy a MAZDA.
I've driven his Mazda on several occasions and had a fucking blast doing so. It was just so zippy and fun to drive. I think it's a Mazda 3 but I don't know for sure.
I've done my research and have narrowed it down to the Toyota Corolla iM and the Mazda 3 Hatchback. They both about the same cost wise, but that shouldn't be an issue with my $30,000 limit. Which do you guys think I should pick? I really, really, liked driving my friend's Mazda but I also have an allegiance to Toyota and know there's nothing more reliable than a Corolla.
Or, if you have any other suggestions shoot them at me. I'm a pretty open minded guy.
The only requirements I have is that its 1.) Under $30,000 2.) Has 4 doors 3.) Has a manual transmission 4.) Has a decent amount of storage room, which is why I'm looking at the two hatchbacks.
And before you ask, I've already read the sticky. I'm not willing to take the risk on buying a used car and know my dad wouldn't cosign the loan on one anyways.
Thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lU6OKQxSg8U
youtube.com/watch?v=6RQ9UabOIPg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Buy a 3k civic and shutup.

$3k Civic

Miata LS swap

>dead battery
>PAY 350 (THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY) DOLLARS
Normie get out

so you're ditching a perfectly fine corolla that has barely over 100k miles, all because it might need some brake and front end work?

you do realize that if you took care of that corolla it would last well over 250k miles for a fraction of the price that a new car would cost, especially if you're just ditching it after 5 years?

seems like a bad move OP you're just playing into the habitual and needless consumerism that is plaguing our society.

Veeky Forums in a nutshell.

Just missing the lap times.

Just keep it so you can show Toyobaru owners how slow they are

Kill yourself for having everything handed to you.

>Toyota family

Buy a Lexus.

>I really, really, liked driving my friend's Mazda but I also have an allegiance to Toyota
This is fucking stupid. Toyota doesn't give a FUCK about you. If you liked the Mazda, buy the Mazda.

Miata.

But okay, between the iM and the Mazda3, get the Mazda3. The iM isn't getting great reviews and it doesn't really address the Mazda3's biggest issue which is a smallish interior (compared to the Civic, Golf, and Elantra). It's probably better on noise - that is an issue with the Mazda3 on rough surfaces. I have one and... it really isn't that sporty, not after having owned a Miata. But I suppose everything else is worse.

Mazdas are nearly as reliable as Toyotas, have better steering, manual transmission, handling, infotainment, and interior design.

The Toyota's quieter.

The Civic is arguably a better all-rounder than either one, just make sure you can live with its volume control.

The Elantra Sport is dull but a better long-distance cruiser (i.e. quieter still).

The Golf is nicer but a lot less reliable.

Don't like the way the Civic looks. Certainly wouldn't buy one for 3k.
Miatas are pretty cool but too small for me and my girlfriend.
I don't know what you're trying to say.
It's not like I don't realize the car will last that long but I know the longer I keep it, the higher the upkeep and maintenance costs will be.
Projection much? Lol.
Too expensive.
Thank you for responding politely. I'm gonna see if I can get a test drive of a 2017 Mazda3 and iM this weekend if I can to compare them.
Most the iM reviews I read were nothing but positive but I guess I have to look at some more.
Noise really isn't an issue for me, since I usually have music or public radio blasting on the radio anyways ahaahaha
I like the looks of the Elantra but reviews I saw weren't very good.
Didn't really consider the Golf but was told to avoid German cars at all costs. Their recent scandal really puts me off too.

>the longer I keep it, the higher the upkeep and maintenance costs will be.

it will still be cheaper than financing a loan on a brand new car, insuring that brand new car, and getting it serviced regularly so nothing breaks. it's not a 3 series BMW, I'd be genuinely surprised if you had to put more than a grand in it each year. but if you want to fuck your dads wallet in the ass with monthly car payments, do you pham.

>Miatas are pretty cool but too small for me and my girlfriend.

Get a smaller girlfriend.

Bruh, it's a fucking 2012 corolla. Your car will need jack shit for the next 5 years at least. And that's if you DONT maintain it at all.

Just buy a fast cool Dodge and STFU senpai. The whole point of toyatas is that you can drive the boring and reliable piece of shit for 10 years 300k miles without worrying about doing anything other than occasionally changing the oil or tires. If you insist on getting rid of your car because it has 100k miles or it's 5 years old, then get something really cool that will probably shit the bed at 100k miles

>2012
>100k miles
>a lot
>mfw my car is old enough to drink and is coming up on 300k and this bitch nigga is crying to his daddy for a Mazda

>need new brakes
>GUESS IT'S TIME FOR A NEW CAR

Holy shit people do this? Typical fucking Corolla owner go kill yourself

shut the fuck up and buy a miata

This is obvious bait

oh no need new front struts because my dumb ass doesn't slow down for speed bumps WELP TIME TO SELL THE CAR A-HYUK

???

You are everything that's wrong with this world

same, senpai.

Fix your brakes and front suspension, buying a new car would be a waste of money.

Also, how in the fuck did you make a battery cost $350 for a Corolla? Did you get the most expensive AGM battery from Vatozone with all the terminal protectors, new terminals, and a new tiedown, etc? Even that shouldn't add up anywhere near that.

>$30,000
you already have a car that's running fine and you want to jump into $30k of debt...why?

just tell your parents they failed and buy the mazda

>I had it except the battery dying once, which was a $350 fix(!)

my '98 corolla is almost at 200k miles and I think between my dad and I (he bought it new) we have spent maybe $50 a year on maintenance (oil, filters, brake pads, lights), probably not even that. Replacing the brakes is SUPER EASY, especially the front ones. Go into autozone or whatever, say "I need front brake pads for my corolla." and they will give you brake pads. Then look up the youtube video on how to replace them, and oualla you will have saved a ton of money. Cars are designed so that any idiot can work on them, that's why if you're bad at math or school stuff they say you should be a mechanic.

so what did you get your degree in OP?

This

>the longer I keep it, the higher the upkeep and maintenance costs will be.

Dude.

Dude.

I have a '91 Tercel with 250,000 miles.
Including the price of the car ($500), and an engine rebuild (another $500), I have less than $2,000 in it.

Hell, I'll include the 50 quarts of oil it went through since I got it... Yep, still less than $2k.

You would be fucking surprised what the maintenance costs are, even taking it to the shop and paying $350 for a battery.

anyways 11/10 got me to respond. have a (You)

I should say, I got the car with 200k on it, twice what OP's car has.

also check'em.

>car gets 1 or 2 small issues over the course of 5+ years
>I NEED SOMETHING MORE RELIABLE
sorry but you aren't getting more reliable than a corolla. learn to fix that shit.
oh yeah and
>dead battery
>((($350)))

>It's not like I don't realize the car will last that long but I know the longer I keep it, the higher the upkeep and maintenance costs will be.
son ive had a rav4.
Its needed brake lines swapped, front suspension swapped, disk brakes swapped over its 15 year life time, most issues caused by rust.

Know how much that all cost me?
2.5k vs a fucking LOAN on a 30k car.
Stop being a retard and fix your car. Fix it until you can buy a new one outright.
It's cheaper and its a god damned toyota. Doesn't matter if its 15 months old or 15 years old, the suspension and brake work will be most likely the only time you need to fix it.
if you want some perspective on how fucking retarded you are being right now, instead of mazda get a bmw or audi or alfa as the replacement then you understand how fucking retarded you are and how goddamn reliable your car is.

Wtf??? Was the battery a fucking flux capacitor?

>battery dying once
>which was a $350 fix

>car needs new brake pads
>better go spend $30k plus interest on another car

Your car is fine fuckface. Normal wear and tear parts that aren't major.

$350USD is to much for a battery. You didn't even put it on yourself did you? or try to see if it holds charge at your local autozone before just throwing money at your car

Reading this:
>Getting up their in miles
Oh okay so like you're pushing 150k, maybe up to 200k
>109,861
Wtf a Corolla at just over 100k is fine
>Gonna need brakes and front suspension work done soon
What is ChrisFix?
youtube.com/watch?v=lU6OKQxSg8U
youtube.com/watch?v=6RQ9UabOIPg
Literally two videos on your issue
Probably has video on your front suspension work too
>Considering dad cosigning on a $30k loan he can't afford
>Already has a decent car that will take at most $1k to fix

Hey man you do you, I don't mind you flooding the market with more used cars and driving their prices down but seriously this can't make financial sense to you

>$350 battery fix

Maybe it does make sense

you may be the dumbest person i've ever encountered on Veeky Forums

You forgot the service fee, it's a lot of work taking off two bolts

>Miatas are pretty cool but too small for me and my girlfriend.

eww wtf

> my daddy bought me a car for college and now that i graduated he's going to buy me another one

FUCK WHITE PEOPLE
REEEEEEEEEE

Hurry up and make my burrito. I need to get to class.

Just get 3000 civics and fuck off

>too small for me any my girlfriend

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

quit being a pussy ass bitch and fix your car

ok for real OP. you do not need a new car. it would almost literally be money down the toilet. there is nothing wrong with your car.

i think whats really going on is you WANT a new car which is different. if you really want a new car, go ahead and get the mazda. i suppose someone has to buy new if the rest of us are to keep buying used but don't try to rationalize it as needing it. your current car will run forever if you treat it right.

i also have no idea how you managed to spend $350 on a battery.

I was wondering earlier this week who could possibly be out there buying these thousands of new cars every year. I Guess I finally have an answer.

Cars lose like 30% of their value the instant they leave the dealer. If you buy last years model lightly used you get such a better deal.

Op, you confuse me. You buy a toyota purely because they are reliable. Yet, now that its getting to the point where reliability is paying off you want to trade it for a new Toyota?

Well, whatever, if you can afford it and want to spend $30k do it get a 2016 Lexus (luxery toyota) CT. Its a year old barely used reliable luxery vehicle but if you do it drive it all the way til its done.

If you want to finance a car and you want it new get the iM or vanilla Yaris.

In all reality you are young and an adult. If you want to buy your own car because you are finally a man and can do it, its not a bad idea.

But everyone on this board is right to point out that FINANCING a new toyota is really self defeating. They are reliable cars but boring shitters at best. As in, why finance a toyota when you have one that works? These aren't cars you show off or expect to perform. They are designed to get you from a to b.

If you wanted to finance to upgrade it kind of makes sense. Thats why people are saying get a miata. Atleast then you are getting a fun ride while you are young with no kids or wife. Youre going to get a car but also a whole driving experience that Toyota simply doesn't offer.

I personally would never buy a car I can't write a check for on my own.

That corrolla looks like vomit to me though. The color, styling, are just awful. The interior is probably disgusting both by design and from college use. Its just plebian as can be.

If THAT were my car I'd want a new one too.

My advice is to keep it and save up to buy a car when you can pay with cash.

If you must buy new you should get a miata.
If you must have space get a Ford FiST.

Also 3k civic is a meme