Hey, help me settle a bet

Hey, help me settle a bet.

When driving a standard car, when breaking, do you pop it into neutral when you hit the breaks or do you keep it in gear until you get down to a lower speed and then shift into neutral as you come to a stop?

>breaks

it's brakes, dude

one of the massive advantages of driving "stanard" is that you can engine brake.

and no, you should always remain in a gear unless you are eco driving / lazy.

i used to leave it in gear till the rpm dropped down to around 1000 then downshift i'm in 3rd or higher

wat no

Chuck in to progressively lower gears and imagine you turned on your jake brake. Clutch in the end so you don't stall when you come to a stop, and then back in to 1st just as you're almost at a halt so that the transmission is spinning enough that you don't to beat up the synchros for it to slip in.

coasting out of gear is a bad idea

Rather than me tell you, I'd like you to experience it for yourself, and if you survive, you will understand.

Farewell, sweet prince.

When i'm nearing a traffic light i let it cruise in neutral and then brake

Why would you even bother putting it in neutral? Did you skip every leg day of your life or did you think it would be a good idea to forcibly disconnect the engine from the car and leave it that way because ha ha why would a car need an engine?

So you sit at the traffic light pressing down the clutch and leaving it in 1st gear rather than waiting for it to turn green in neutral and then shifting back to 1st to go?

Yes. In a rare bastard of a traffic jam I'll leave it in neutral, especially if it's downhill so all I need to do is let it roll ahead.

Once in a strange while I forget that I hadn't knocked it back in to first, and then I make myself into a public fool trying to take off in 3rd or whatever.

I was not taught to do this. But what's the difference between having the clutch pressed down all the way vs being in neutral?

If you just have the clutch in, then you can just take it back out to use the power of the engine to do whatever you need to do.

If you're rolling around in neutral then you basically made yourself useless. If you drive a manual, try just turning it off. It's a little bit fun and you can start it back up by taking your foot off the clutch. But why would you want to do that except for the fun of it?

I meant in the context of waiting at a traffic light.

can you not just rev match and put it back in gear? would you rather wear your clutch/transmission down or your brake pads? Who taught you how to drive? Why would you suggest someone roll start their car for fun?

Are you trying to go somewhere? When the light turns green, then why wouldn't you want to go forward unless there's some junk in front of you blocking the road?

There's literally no reason to want to have to juggle the stick around after you noticed the light turned green and now you're in neutral. Ever replaced a throwout bearing? It's hardly a worry.

I would rather wear my clutch and transmission. Brakes are something you have to replace every so often because they're one of the easiest wear items on the car. Try riding down a mountain when your brakes start smoking.

Any decent gearbox lasts a longass time unless you kill it, and the clutch and the rest is a longer-term wear item than the spark plugs.

>driving test involves knowing how to brake in emergencies
>mfw have to slam both clutch and brakes simultaneously to pass it
'emergency'

What's wrong with that? You want to stall while you're emergency braking?

Takes pretty long to stop without engine braking considering it would be an emergency. You put in the clutch when you actually slow down...why would you stall?

Why does it take long to stop without engine braking? Are your front brakes torn to shit? Do you maybe need to change your brake fluid?

Uh, why not just pay attention to the lights for the other direction and shift into first when they change to red?

What's the advantage? Even if they're not lights with hood or blinders to try to stop you from seeing the other direction, why wouldn't you want to be ready to go anyway?

Because why would I put extra wear on my throwing bearing when my method has me red to go when the light changes anyway? Also, holding a cable clutch isn't fun.

When's the last time you had to change your throwout bearing?

>Also, holding a cable clutch isn't fun
Cable clutches are all the fun because you can feel the entire assembly. Are you a girl?

Comparatively, it takes longer without engine braking yes. Only need to step on about half the brakes if I cycle down the gears when stopping in my experience.

>front brakes torn to shit
No but I dd an econobox which has terrible braking prowess on cold days. In the time it takes to stop from 70mph I definitely have enough time to drop through the gears.
I instinctively drop to second when I need to brake suddenly and it's worked well for me.

>pop it in neutral whilst braking

What the fucking fuck?

This thread is very American

You might want to pay a few more shekels for your next set of pads.

It sucks when you stand on the brake pedal and nothing happens. That's not safe.

My car has a newer transmission so never, but if I can save wear on something, why wouldn't I? And woohoo, I can feel the exact amount if force needed to disengage the clutch and keep it disengaged, it's a fair amount and I'd rather let my leg rest so it's good for shifting considering my retarded gear ratios.

i throw it in neutral less wear on the trans and clutch

So you're a girl.

That's OK. Nobody expects girls to be rational.

>minimize wear on vehicle
>hurr ur a girl
Excellent argument

How much have you saved on wear so far?

It's called taking care of a vehicle. Do you red line everywhere while your engine is cold too?

No, I let it warm up first.

I asked you a simple question. How much have you saved on wear?

I don't know, let me figure out some way of measuring my throwout bearing's remaining life. I know it will last considerably longer with idling in neutral compared to keeping it in gear for no reason.

My throwout bearing started squeaking and then making horrid noise after the snout of the bell housing got worn down.

Teach me about your great wisdom.

When the light turns green I'd then go from neutral to 1st gear, but I don't see the point in having the clutch pressed down all the way and in 1st gear when I know the light won't be turning green anytime soon, as opposed to having it neutral while I wait.

>snout of the bellhousing
Wot

Do you understand these words or just ching chong chang?