/domg/ - Dominions General

Took Forever Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-"""progress""" wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin (NEEDS UPDATING NERDS)
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=aBoneToPick
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ElfingAround
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=TheWheelHasTurnedOnceAgain
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MAdman
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=EA_innovativethrones
z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2927&view=findpost&p=40008178
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Your research goals are strange to me.
What nation is this?

EA Arco running awake dog that needed mindhunt

So you just got mass flight access?

Or is there some other spell I can't think of right now that needs those two paths?

If he's playing with ME, then there's actually a bunch of stuff in Ench 7. If not, there's two gemgens (EBDW and Stellar Focus), treelords, solar brilliance, life after death, and (as you pointed out) mass flight

Now, admittedly, none of these are spells I'd prioritize over RoS or FW or even golems for that matter, but eh.

Yeah, but none of those need Conj 4 or Alt 4.

I guess he could just need those for other things.

Oh, yeah, no I assume those are unrelated

What makes MA Ermor good and Lemuria bad?

Skeletons are way better than ghosts, because their attacks are not negated by magic resistance.

Lemuria also has no lictor equivalent to give them heavy hitting power behind their chaff.

MA Ermor has a top tier mage (dusk elders) that costs significantly less than Lemuria's mid-tier mages, since Lemuria pays for immortality on its dudes. Ermor gets both a bunch more units, and they have actual weapons instead of spectral weapons so their attacks aren't negated by MR. Ermor has awesome sacreds that it can either summon or reanimate and Lemuria doesn't. Ermor is in an era with more gems and less gold. Ermors forts go up more quickly. Ermor has reliable reanimation whereas Lemuria has to roll for ghosts. Lemuria's rely on being ethereal rather than having prot, so they get owned even harder by stuff like flaming arrows and fire shields that are already good against undead. Lemuria's units can fail morale checks whereas Ermor's are largely mindless.

Mostly it's the mage costs, sacreds, and that Lemuria's units are MRN. Summod makes Lemuria significantly better, and also slightly less cancerous since they need to hold land and aren't as good at spamming forts and holing up inside of them

How to LA Pythium in summod? Serpent cult?

I would have put down immortality as a benefit to Lemuria.

It lets Lemuria do much riskier tactics with their mages and deploy them much more frequently than MA Ermor. It is especially important since both have low-astral mages with very high costs per-mage that are perfect for magic duelling.

The cults play differently. Fire Cult is the most straightforward, since it gives recruitable sacred heavy infantry and some thugs and so on. It's like Pythium with more tools. Serpent Cult pushes you to use hydras, which are pretty bad if you don't have a massive bless for them. Even if you do, they're a bit hard to support and don't let you do the only thing pythium does well (get ahead on research with foreign rec mages and do diverse battlefield spells) since you have to dump scales to get it. If you want to go for spamming assassins then, like, you can but it's taking fort turns away from magery. Fertility cult is kinda like vanilla pythium, but just better since you get your foreign rec research better. You also get some weird animal summon stuff and an unreliable remote assassination spell, so you have a few more tricks but they aren't actually just stronger in the way that the fire cult's stuff is. If you actually like vanilla pythium's weird diversity-focus thing, then fertility would be good. If you want pythium but with actually worthwhile units, go fire/bull. If you just want to tribless hydras and die to fire elementals, go snek

Yeah, but he was asking specifically what makes MA Ermor good and what makes Lemuria bad. Lemuria is also better at holding forts since its stuff isn't mindless and does some battlefield stuff better. They're different; I was just going over relative disadvantages.

How do I play as an Asphodel? W9 god and black centaur spam? Should I make some centaurs to reanimate or rather focus on alt research? What are the best scales for freespawn?

Don't fucking die

Growth 3 Magic 3 Luck 3 for max freespawn, but it's not hugely important
Recruit mages for research; even Ermor wants to spend its gold on recruitable mages when it gets halfway decent indies, and Aspho is only halfwise a popkill nation

go W9 or W9N9

ded at 17 posts

Are there any ongoing recruitment for a games?

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ElfingAround
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=TheWheelHasTurnedOnceAgain
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MAdman
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=EA_innovativethrones

So lets get some discussion going.

What is, in your opinion, the best recruit-anywhere unit (non-commander) in the game?

Indie raptors. 10 gold, low resource flying lances. In FrogAndToad I just birded Marignon.

As Agartha.

That's not a choice I expected at all, but understandable.

I think powerful combat units are more valuable, but it's hard to measure how much value flying gives you.

I'm not sure an indie counts as rec-anywhere, but spire horn are rec-anywhere and basically the same.

Oh, I see what you mean. Chud Hirdmen or Einheres then, probably.

Spire horns cost less than indie raptors and are better so yeah

Chuds hirdmans. Two attacks, berserk, fairly good stats (17 HP, 16 prot +2 with berserk).

I hate that dual wielding units are more often than not better than weapon+shield units. It's like, you take a shield unit over a dual wielder when you face archers, but never again. Ambidextrous should be a rare ability, not standard on every single fucking dual wielder

>Dual wielder without ambidextrous

dude, what?

>172081559

I believe Xibalba was in fact invading you because we clashed this turn. Anyway we can settle as is.

That's literally what dual wielding is like in the real world. Among other reasons why it's a stupid idea.

Dual wielding from a historical perspective was mostly (key word there, mostly) long weapon+much shorter weapon. In western combat it was mostly cut+thrust weapons like rapiers and sideswords+a parrying dagger or a buckler. Yes, in western martial arts sword+buckler falls under weapon in both hands. Fighting with two long weapons is difficult and pretty much pointless because you don't actually get two attacks. You can strike with one weapon, and rotate your entire body around to strike with the other, which takes just as long as rechambering a strike with the first weapon, or you can strike with both at once which does fucking nothing because of the way our bodies are built.

I'd argue einhere are substantially better than chuds. Better damage output and lower cost outweighs the lower health.

>Fighting with two long weapons is difficult and pretty much pointless because you don't actually get two attacks.
Is there any unit which actually does that in dominions, though?

The closest I can think of are vanhere/einhere/chuds, which use a broadsword (len 2) and short axe (len 1).

I don't mind the unrealism so much, I'd just like some more variety in viable units. It'd be nice for units with a defensive focus to be viable, or offensive units which focus on a single powerful 2h weapon rather than dualwielding.

C'tis Falchioneers dual wield falchions.
An arming sword and axe is still difficult to do, and you can't even effectively parry with the axe. It's more fun yeah, but I would like to see ambidextrous be more rare so that dual wielders aren't automatic picks.
2h weapons suffer from not really giving good bonuses. They don't have the punch of 2 weapons, the length bonus isn't useful on non-pikes and they lack the defensive bonuses of a shield. I'd like to see bigger bonuses to +atk and +def for greatswords, and higher damage bonuses for stuff like battleaxes and halberds

I'd like something like a damage penalty for multiple attacks. Justify it by saying you can't hit as hard per weapon when using two of them.

That leaves multiple weapons good for dealing with relatively lightly armored foes, especially ones with shields. They'd lose a ton of damage against armor, leaving them less good in that situation. You already see it happening with troops like jaguar warriors if they're not strength buffed.

2h weapons should be more useful to punch through the protection of troops in heavy armor who can't dodge well. They'd lose a lot more damage against lightly armored troops who can block or dodge their hits entirely.

At least, that's how it'd work without mage support. I'm not sure how it'd go heading into midgame or lategame.

Raise dead or horde of skeletons?

If I remember right, raise dead requires corpses (generally generated by units dying in the fight). Go with horde of skeletons, it's much more reliable and just as good in many situations.

Just tested it, it requires corpses.

It can cast with insufficient corpses, but will only summon as many soulless as there are corpses. If there are two corpses your mage will still cast raise dead, but you'll only get two summons out of it rather than the 10 it says.

That's not a problem later in the fight, but might be early on. If you really need soulless, I'd try leading with a few shadowblasts to make some corpses from the enemy army.

How good is purgatory against undead? Does it destroy percentage of them based on candles or what?

To be fair a lot of the guys who dual wield are not human or if they are they are special like TCs Wushu fuckers.

Its very good. It burns a lot of undead and the more candles you have the faster they burn.

>this kills ermor

Yes, its a great counter if you can get your dominion on Ermor.

I'm glad your not wanting to fight me meant you were going to take two more of my provinces.

>trusting Malakal
>ever

There was no reason to stop fighting before I received any response. One sided cease fires never end well.

Hello Lemuria.

Well, he's not wrong. If you're fighting, you keep fighting until the truce is agreed to. If you need to exchange provinces, you can set that up after the fact. Until the other side actually agrees to stop fighting, though, it's stupid to ever stop

Thats just dumb. Attacking while you ask for peace means no one is ever going to take you seriously. All you have to do is not attack for literally one turn so you can see a response and not being able to do that doesnt exactly paint you in a good light.

If you're fighting someone competent, a reasonable number of provinces will change hands every turn. You can still be in a stalemate situation where both sides would benefit from peace while having a volatile border where each side takes 5 provinces from the other. Making a peace offer without attacking, and then waiting for the response means that you lose 10 provinces in that situation if the other side decides to say no. If you get a sudden uptick in your war, then saying no becomes much more appealing as well.

You cant just ask for peace while attacking someone, thats just common sense. They arent going to accept you logic because you just fucking attacked them and they will get butthurt over it and keep fighting.

Well, presumably they were attacking you as well. Yes, you can't attack someone out of the blue and then ask to keep those provinces peacefully. If both of you are fighting across your border, though, it makes total sense to be like "Let's stop this." If you get an offer like that and are uncomfortable with the provinces that you just lost, you can always ask for them back as a condition to the peace.

Maybe they should have responded in the first place then.

The problem isnt them not responding its attacking before they have a chance to respond. But if they did have a chance to respond and didnt say shit thats on them.

If you still want peace I need those two provinces back.
Otherwise as soon as I clear Ulm off my fort this turn my army turns north.

All you have to do to show you are serious is not attack for one turn. You can still move your guys into position so they can defend against an attack. You arent going to take that much from them in one turn and if you can why are you bothering to ask for peace in the first place.

you can ask for a fast response and they certainly can't do a full aggression within one turn.

Do you guys, like, not spread out your troops across a broad front? Are volatile exchanges really that alien to you? Both sides are on 'full aggression' all the time in an actual war, and Dominions massively penalizes defensive play. This is especially true if you're the one that's better at raiding but worse at a straight fight.

Yeah, if you're talking out of game it's no problem.

What afflictions does Ur's pretender heal in cap in summod and how fast? Because either I have shit luck or some of them won't heal at all.

none; it's bugged and s1w doesn't care

conversation should happen before having full armies on each other borders.

He's making a peace offer during an ongoing war. If you aren't at war yet, you don't need to make a peace offer

>If you aren't at war yet, you don't need to make a peace offer
/domg/ - smart people general

I can't offer you peace if we're not already at war. That's like me offering you your life; looks more than a little threatening. You could agree to some kind of non-aggression pact or other deal though.

Not him, but it's called prevention (NAPP). And then backstabbing.

How do Grip of Winter and Heat from Hell interact? Does the one that gets cast second overwrite the first? Do they just cancel?

They stack

That's so ridiculous, I love it. Thanks!

They stack, oddly.

It will never recover from the shame of dying to PD.

somebody post the fenrir that died to 1pd

I expected a battle but got nothing. Sad!

I had a few giggles when my bog standard scout killed almost 20 after being caught by an army of over 100.

why were you expecting a battle? Ulm is the only one actually fighting me, Ragha and Bats were vulturing provinces and I was taking them back by killing their raiders.

also, you wanted peace....

What the fuck is Agartha doing.

What? You promised to clear Ulm off a fort and you didnt deliver.

Who is this?

Being a little bitch about my coastal forts. Joke's on him, I already popkilled out all those provinces.

Ehhhhh

bump

guys argue about sth

You're ugly

HP bonus/malus from dominion for pretenders should be a flat value, not percentage. Discuss.

No, that's gay.

Let's talk about Ragha instead. How would you design it to actually use its hot v cold mechanic?

Asphodel is more fun than MA Pangea.

MA Pan is toppest tier. MA Aspho is still okay, but not nearly as dominant

I wouldn't give it temp tolerance for starters. That just encourages you to go to 3 in one scale and means if either of the scale variants is slightly better than the other you will only see that variant.

Force Ragha's provinces to always go to Cold 3 in winter and Heat 3 in summer.

Police and Niggers, that's right
Get out of my way
Don't need to buy none of your
Gold chains today

>this is a year 5 army

What the fuck are you doing my colored neighbor, this is disgusting to look at.

Give it low level and cheap national spells to change the temp scale in the province the caster is in.

Make both hot and cold options complement each other, instead of just being different flavors of mages, so that going neutral and recruiting with the seasons is less dumb. Maybe cold has better priests and heat has better sacreds. I dunno, lots of ways to try to make pairs better together.

At least you tried buddy.

It's such a cool concept, it's a shame that you end up needing to go one way or the other.

That's a decent suggestion.
Maybe just have cycles so that whatever scale you have you can only recruit the units half of the year?
Or include that you can recruit both in the transitionary seasons?

Actually fuck that, best way is to have temp scales influence recruitment volume, not just a binary check of whether or not you can recruit them at all.

Sorry. I was kinda lost in the aspho/pan thing. You're right

Anyone played a Magic Enhanced game yet?

I'll have you know I haven't successfully vultured a damn thing.

its goofy and barely balanced, but its kind of fun to see just how goofy and to mess with particularly fucked stuff. the new magic items are generally pretty fucking broken and some of the spells are just dumb. i havent been able to cast it in a multiplayer game yet, but the domkill one seems really goofy, and i did get to spam out bladestorms which are just even better bladewinds

How exactly does one stop dom10 awake carrion dragon barreling down on you year 1 with 150+ manikins?

have you tried curling into the fetal position and crying?

no but I made one!

There's a new version out that nerfs some of the items: z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2927&view=findpost&p=40008178

I really want to play a LA game os Jomon just to try out their fancy katana thing. If the items are a little better balanced that would help, but I feel like some of the spells need work too, but I don't have enough experience to really elaborate on them outside of speculation

There's a new version that comes packaged with Summod