/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>FAQ and What to Play

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Retired Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/RfrrQiJ0
pastebin.com/vmW2qYkD
pastebin.com/HcTtYVsn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Chei.

>that filename
Wait, living is a sacrifice?

Isn't it only a sacrifice when thanks to you being alive, someone else doesn't need to be?

ah the classic cat shitposter

>Wait, living is a sacrifice?

The ultimate sacrifice.

I'm at Zig 25 and it's a mummy floor.
Only have rN+ but loads of scrolls of holy word and immolation and disc of storms with 27 Evo
Help

Thats not how it works, user..

quaff haste, invis and then blink to the downstair or portal outside

Since when is blini kot classic?

If you have rF++ or rF+++, go deep, immolation, disc or holy word or any other aoe shit, EXPLODING KNEES

*FeBe

Felids are cute, cute, CUTE!

Does DCSS still have steel dragons breathing shards of shrapnel?

That was some badass, metal shit.

you don't have to yell user, we're right here

Are you really?
What's to say you aren't just some AI pretending to be human? I mean, who else would be able to stand roguelikes

We're just felids IRL.
We don't play roguelikes because we have no lives, but because we have 8 lives each, waiting for splatting.

all of us are artificial entities crafted by a malevolent god to keep you trapped in a nightmare reality

but does it have dragons that breathe subjugation or reanimation or inertia

What Felid do you like playing as? I was trying FeBe just now.

>using my early game reading strategy
>found a truck with 20% fuel and battery
>start reading by control light with engine on
>battery is empty an hour later
Apparently one of the faulty engine things stops the alternator from working, who knew.

any roguelikes where i can play as a black person?

That *hack convict challenge and CDDA

pretty sure in steamband the "race selection" is actually race
i remember that asians get a racial bonus to martial arts

Steamband, probably.

Well, orcs are a playable race in several roguelikes...

yes

>big lips
>dark skin
>steal and kill everything if not facing someone who can control them
>Slavers, but become slaves too if someone is powerful enough
>fight like gorillas between themselves to establish a social structure
>More muscular then white humans

I guess hellband is a Zang variant? I've seen every single one of these classes except druid/warlock in PCB

it even has the whole "realm choice" thing with normal mages getting 2 and high-mages getting 1 etc

Hi, does anyone here knows a bit about damage calculations in DCSS?

I am playing MiBe and have the choice between 2 weapons:
1. Broad Axe +8 of Speed (Mithril) and Magic Resist. It's base dmg is 13, but minimum cooldown is 0.4.
2. Executioners axe +5 of Antimagic. Base dmg is 18 and minimum cooldown is 0.6.

My question is, are the 0.2 seconds worth it? I could even level up shields and use it with the Broad Axe too? I don't know if I got super lucky with this weapon or if it is meh.

Arga is pretty good but that Exec axe is great

hand axe bec. it attacks faster

speed is one of the best brands in the game. Arga is always a good choice and it allows you to use a shield for increased defenses

The exe axe is also a great option though, and antimagic brand will make it much safer to fight dangerous magic-users like archliches and oofs

PCB has warlocks, but no druids. I guess they're just nature mages?

>I guess hellband is a Zang variant?

It certainly looks like it.

My only beef right now is that the fonts are sort of fucked up if you want to use something special.

and the subwindows are really fucked up
they seem impossible to resize, the "monster recall" window doesn't seem to work at all, but the "monster list" window chances to "monster recall" whenever you attack something. which is annoying

What roguelike has the most involved character creation?

There sure are a lot of popes in hell.

that'd be Incursion for sure

Is there another roguelike with tiles and a mechanic similar to otab from DCSS?

Demon has o and while it doesn't have the tab, your mons can make easy decisions on their own.

Ok I think I will leave my Axe skill on 20 and take the Speed axe ("arga"), but keep the exec axe in inventory if I fight magic users, like when I go into Elven Halls.
Thanks for advise

Thanks, that seems nice as I love monster catching
Is there a guide or something so I don't get squashed to death a million times before getting good?

demon veil tank
instead of tab you press wait command while everything kills itself on you

the big axe is better than Arga
enchant that fucker to +9 because it's not an artifact
You'll thank me later.

That doesn't work too well since you'll also need to remove your shield to use the exe axe.
Shields count as armor and take ~5 turns to put on or take off.

It's probably best to choose one of them and EITHER get 26 axe skill for exe axe or 15+ shield skill for 1h axe + shield.

the 2h axe is still going to be better damage. speedbrand is amazing but it just means that Arga is nearly as good damage while only using one hand, not that it's better damage
the advantage of Arga is the extra defense from a shield

There should be a pasta in one of the OP links.
Other than that, be a hypergamous slut and discard your friends as soon as you see something better. Make sure to keep a lot of weak elemental attacks on your stuff to exploit weaknesses.

You need to get a feel of the game, though. Memorize the levels at which mons spawn and their stats. You will need to die a few times for that.

>discard your friends as soon as you see something better.
The existence of recycle makes keeping them longer actually viable now.

As a general rule, support > fighter for your summoner. But going full nodamage makes some demons hard to capture because a damage-focused summoner will always deal more damage than any demon of the same level. A summoner will never deal as much damage as Bigfoot though.

Can't discount the MR bonus, although he is a MiBe so it isn't nearly as good.

Did recycle stop being utter shit now?

If you get lucky with relic wraiths, you can make a shitload of credits.

mindcrafter in hellband seems to have a sliiiight problem
they keep the ADOM thing where they suffer negative effects from using psionic spells on undead/demons
but the game is named HELLband
there's shitloads of demons everywhere

Big surprise that a band has really dumb balance issues.

pastebin.com/RfrrQiJ0
>Elona pastas: pastebin.com/vmW2qYkD (main), pastebin.com/HcTtYVsn (mods)
Seems the pastakeeper didn't actually bother checking the contents. They have been just updated and have a lot more stuff and specially download links. The one in the old list is very outdated.

Recycle is an upgrade that, if you're a bad enough dude to sacrifice 1-2 of your slots for a rotating buffet of low-level demons and are gud enough to reliably get multiple recruits from corpse encounters, will give you more money than you'll ever spend

But if you're at the gud level where you're struggling to not die, Recycle doesn't help much and you should just get SEPI

Are golem ego boots new in PCB? Don't remember seeing them before.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tomb should be pretty easy with Necromutation, right?

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

>sludge elves
basically merfolk but objectively worse
Unreal World is strikingly similar to DF Adventurer mode.

>but objectively worse
muh earth aptitude

You're forgetting
>+3 Wis
>Toughness feat
>Spellfury ability
>Devouring

>kobold with a wand of death on level 1
This shit should be fucking illegal.

>In this day and age, people still barge into Yiuf's house without the orb
You do know that this was a search and rescue right?

Be very careful of those living dudes. They'll dispel you.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>This shit should be fucking illegal.

dpeg pls

pls

Orb is pretty fun to play imo, but it's not really otabby. In Demon even though there is auto explore, you should still manually fight all your encounters either to clear them quickly for a link or because the encounter is roughly about as powerful as your own (summoner +3 demons vs anywhere from 4-6 demons + uniques)

Wands of death in general can fuck off, i've had many a good run ended by some humanoid with a wand of death

The fact that there is no saving throw and it's just boom your dead is what really irks me.

>not dying on turn 1
Look at this fag

TEST YOUR MIGHT

wut

I hope you like aggravated cyberdemons.

heyyy

Can you recall to a town and sell stuff?

well fuck

there are coffins in the 6th circle that summon super-powerful OOD skulls of vengeance to kill you dead if you damage them
but apparently they also summon skulls if they are damaged by monster infighting
a pack of bickering demons got to one of them and started poking at it and I was just getting deathskulls appearing on my ass anywhere on the level, even after teleporting away

What the fuck

>that comfy feeling when abusing bloatnado to destroy everything

When should I teach a demon tireless?

wen hes tiyerd

It's usually the best for healers early on. It is also good for certain things like the electricity passive overload, which is based upon having 100 or more SP.

>click on Death's Door by mistake
It wasn't supposed to be like this

>Clicking

>and then I saw her face
Every time

Spam disto unwields and borg in the Abyss.

Oh I was in a zigg and just exit it
It just annoyed me because I had to go into tomb to get the figgurine I was saving

You aren't kidding about those skulls.

Damn.

>click
What did he mean by this?

Apparently if your race is 'Vampire', Hellband's Phial will kill you dead
no problems with normal lanterns though

In DCSS, can you re-enter the abyss if I flee from it for now? (fuckin trog gifting me axes of corruption)

Yes, there is always a portal on Depths and sometimes labyrinths
Monsters can also banish you there with low MR

No user you have to go all the way down to abyss 5 and retrieve the rune.

i'm a retard, I can just use the shitty axe trog gifted me again, right?

Well, that too.
But it's best to wait until Depths anyways

Yes. You can even try to banish yourself if things go really badly.

The distortion axe won't always send you to the abyss. Sometimes it just hurts you, other times it teleports you and confuses you, there are a couple of things that it can do.

>27 Axes
>20 Fighting
>+8 Exec Axe of Freezing
>+5 Slaying
>you closely miss the short sword of flaming
>you closely miss the short sword of flaming
>you miss the short sword of flaming
>you hit the short sword of flaming but do no damage
What

crawl damage calculations, everybody
You're rolling 1dX+1d5-1d17
I think it's 17 AC
X is some function of your base damage, your weapon skill, and your fighting skill.

>You can even try to banish yourself if things go really badly.
does this ever actually work for anyone?
you might get a lucky tele or blink as well, but if you're that much trouble you'll probably just die from taking warp damage

I used to watch live Zigraiding pretty frequently, it worked a surprisingly large amount of the time.

25% of unwields banish you. If you recognize that a situation is fucked well before you're in true danger of dying, you can probably get out of it pretty easily with hasted wields/unwields.

Oh god I just saw what a Felid on the Tileset looks like.

This is exactly why I play ASCII. Felids are humanoid cats (like skyrim), not regular cats. No way regular cats have 15 strength.
ASCII graphics are awesome