EMP-proof cars or bikes

In the event of an emp or detrimental solar flare, what is your motorized car/bike of choice in a world of fried electronics?

Other urls found in this thread:

empcommission.org/reports.php
jalopnik.com/5937778/how-to-prepare-your-car-to-handle-an-emp-and-why-you-shouldnt-bother
empcommission.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Points will fry, too. Good thing is, they can be unstuck or replaced pretty easily.

>>>>>>how do spark plugs work
if there's no electronics cars will not start you fucking idiot

In what world would an EMP or solar flare happen?

I have my trashcan of nokia's and Motorola radios in my garage for years and that shit still hasn't happened.

You have a better chance of being killed in a car crash or terror attack

I should have been more specific, Solid state electronics.

I don't think something as simple as spark pugs and the wiring involved is going to break during an emp.
Even if it did spark plugs aren't exactly hard to find.
Also diesel engines don't have spark plugs.

Hypothetically

Let's say you live in a bumfuck town like 40 miles away from and the Norks/Russians/Iranians/Americans/Chinese nuke said city. A byproduct of that would be an EMP that might reach you and disable all electronics. Alternatively a nuke detonated in the atmosphere could act as an EMP for a much larger area.

You could always faraday cage whatever car you want

you're in the fallout zone anyway and will die a slower and more painful death.

All cars already are faraday cages. 99% will still work.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I sure am glad that an emp detonation poses no threat to cars filled with computers.

Mercedes 300D

I'd run it on veg oil too

as long as the electronics are perpendicular to the blast you're fine. Not kidding, that's how it works

my bike has a carb but i think the ignition box will be ok.

Bout damn time someone mentions the diesel masterrace

Spark cucks can't compete

The computers are inside the the faraday cage of the body, numbnuts.

>It's another "preptard reads an issue of popular science and thinks the world is falling" episode

Kerosene master race reporting, can go almost twenty hectors on two litres.

Popular Science denies the extreme weakening of the earth's magnetosphere.

>window

You must not know how electromagnetic fields work

I (apparently) have some clue as to how the dielectric field operates in interaction with various ferromagnetic structures. Lets say I park may car in a barn with galvanized steel siding. Up to what field density (in tesla) would my electrically controlled fuel injection automobile be safe in this barn? What other factors do you think would have an effect on whether or not my efi car runs after a deliberate emp?

>tfw the previous owner installed electronic ignition and I have away my spare points and condensers to another Volvo friend

I'm fucked boys

According to If the body of your car is metal your car will be fine.

So only Corvettes and the like are fucked?

Pretty much. It really depends on a great number of factors. Like, your car probably doesn't have metal shielding the underside of the engine compartment but an EMP would almost certainly come from above. Your desktop PC will probably survive too. A lot of electronics have shielding because of FCC regulations that they can't EMIT electromagnetic interference. You'd be surprised what all self-contained shit would survive, it would be more a breakdown of networks and infrastructure. Like I dunno if you remember the 2003 blackout but that was all caused by a single power plant failing to regulate and letting a surge out. Not exactly an EMP but similar to what would happen in all kinds of networks that weren't completely hardened (they're not by a long shot)

>corvettes
BTFO YET AGAIN, HOW WILL GM EVER RECOVER??

>Like I dunno if you remember the 2003 blackout
I do, fun times.
Also, if cars act essentially like Faraday cages, then how can phones send and receive signals inside?

>It really depends on a great number of factors.
Yea, I agree. I just want to know what kind of cars will be the most resilient to an emp. I would think emp weapons are specifically designed to mess up as much stuff as possible.

How would I survive in case of a solar flare?
K1G engine here.

if you tried to place a call from within the metal box that the ECU is in, you wouldn't have very much luck.

Swap in a diesel or switch to old fashioned magneto ignition.

Cars are nowhere near good faraday cages by themselves; their chassis structure has enourmous gaps for high frequency electromaganetic pulses, and most importantly they are NOT isolated from the electrics - they are used as one of the electric terminals to conduct electricity. Lightning goes through the path of least resistance so it tends to not cause problems, but radiation is a bit different.

That said, they are not that fragile either, since the most vulnerable components are in enclosed spaces.

Emp mainly effect long runs of wire. Most cars and electronics will not be effected by any but the largest emp events. We never even knew they existed untill we started stringing up thousands of miles of telegraph lines.

>all these people thinking their cars would be dead

99% of the damage from an EMP or strong CME would be to the power grid, specifically the transformers at the end of the long distance wires. Cars would be more or less unaffected.

empcommission.org/reports.php

1990 W250 Cummins

Build a car that uses the EMP to convert it into usable energy for it to move!

1st gen cummins is best for this by far, super reliable and easy to troubleshoot in the rare occasion you actually have a problem. They are not turds power wise either with minimal mods .

Man, that's a beauty. That your car?

nah, this is mine

I do love the 300D though

Curious: what are the most recently produced cars and bikes with point ignition?

Never worked on one feel like it'd be fun.

Why is a diesel more appropriate for end of the world scenarios?

>what is a diesel engine

Hand-crank inertia starters are the way of both the past and the future

190d 2.5 turbo diesel 5 speed would be my choice. You might need to push start if starter and starting electronics get fried

>what is your motorized car/bike of choice in a world of fried electronics?
Too busy getting security, water, and food solutions arranged with neighbors. Our HOA community has a stream that originates in greenbelt that we control. So at least we can have crops and actual artesian water of sorts. Other people have to use garbage urine water after the streams fill up with pollution from upstream assholes.

Security is important because the DARKness will come in the day and night to rob, steal, and turn certain people into their pimp slaves. Violence and slavery makes right in the DARK world.

I just hope my electronic sights still work for my rifles. We have a gunshop owner and FFL shipper in our neighborhood, so hopefully we will have enough ammunition and guns for awhile. The real problem is the DARKness will loot out the gunshops and ammo and then come to attack everyone else for food & water and slaves to be their doctors, farmers, and tool makers.

PUT IT IN H!

*blocks your solar flare*

Most vehicles would be impervious to EMP blast regardless of age becuase of how EMPs' work.

jalopnik.com/5937778/how-to-prepare-your-car-to-handle-an-emp-and-why-you-shouldnt-bother
empcommission.org/

>inb4 jalopshit.

And you would be correct. An EMP would fry transformers and other shit succeptible to induced current. Your plugs and wires would be just fine.

During an EMP waves are emitted. As they travel, they spread out and weaken at an exponential rate. You'd need a large enough antenna-like devices to absorb the waves and convert them into potentially damaging electrical impulses in the first place. Then, unless the path of least resistance goes directly through super sensitive equipment, nothing serious is gonna happen. It'd be like if you rubbed your socks on your carpet then touched your car door and got shocked. You'd get A brief instant of thousands of volts, but only a few microamps of current, and it would travel along the body directly into the batttery ground. Nothing important is along the path. Your radio antenna would be a highway to fucked receiver transistors since semiconductor junctions don't like >~20V, but there's not gonna be enough raw sustained current to melt wires or any shit like that. Fuel injectors, starters, spark plugs/ect will all be fine.

Is that the erotic novel you've been working on?

is it yours ? if so moar pls