/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we discuss Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including cartoons and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more!

/sthg/ #742 - Favorite Clothes Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsSonic NewsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5v15U2uaV6k
youtu.be/JvBooDKQoUQ
gametextures.com/free-materials/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For any drawfags who may be lurking this thread:

Requesting this, but with Tails instead of Sonic.

>Reminder that this is the official translation, not a fansub

Wow! My head's spinning!

Not too surprising. He said "shit" in the 2nd episode.

SLOW

Added the game project folder to the OP.

Running out of space on the OP, so probably will whittle down down the general interest section as more news and eventually releases come in.

This is a Blaze thread now, motherfuckers

>Fixed the OP
Thank you based user

Sonic's clothes look so stupid. I really wanna bully that dumb blue rat.

Good shit.

Though I bet a solid Lost-World-esque "ball" form would be harder to include than a general rolling animation. It would be nice to include to signal you're moving fast enough to perform certain maneuvers or something along those lines.

That background reminded me of Saved by the Bell.

fuck I feel old

I kinda wanted the slightly-luminescent ball from Unleashed or the opening cutscene from Lost World to come back, too.

Any's pretty cute.

Hmm... Currently the dust trail is meant to convey just that, but perhaps something a bit more gradual like some speed lines that slowly build up would also help.

If you've played GHP you know that I love me some glowy shit. I'll see what I can do.

By the way, since the Drive folder is in the OP now (much obliged) there's a link to the current prototype for you to play! Just make sure you play with a controller, okay? That's what I'm using to test, so the controls are built around a controller setup.

Just make sure to periodically backup said folder.

The dust trail is a bit unclear, as it's an effect that's common in most platformers. The different running animations do a better job of conveying speed, since 90% of the time your character is either going to be the focus of the screen, or in very, very close peripheral vision while the path ahead is the focus.

I will say I'm a bit disappointment with how slow Spindash goes at the moment, but I'm assuming that'll be fixed later, right?

Please post cute NiGHTS art.

So you're saying something on top of the different running animations would be preferable?

Buff the Spin Dash? Can do.

Unpopular opinion: Heroes' engine is underrated.

It has a solid blend of speed, platforming, exploration, and combat, but its beat-em-up-style level progression does detract from the former three, the aspects that characterized earlier titles in the Sonic series. But nevertheless, its engine allowed multiple playstyles within a single level, and presented a venue in which every single character could work not only consistently, but effectively.

Love that art, holy cow.

Not him, but if I wanted to convey high amounts of speed without dust clouds, I'd slightly distort the screen and add a lighter, miniature version of the Boost effect around the front of Sonic's body.

Also, in regards to Spin Dash, would it be easy to bind it to X as well as B?

3D Animation user here. I've been futzing around with this model all morning. While the lack of controls is a bit jarring I do think I can pose it.

Out of curiosity are you making any animations as well? And do you have the current Lost World textures? Or would you prefer I just send you untextured animations (it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things)

It shouldn't be high priority, but maybe the legs blurring like CD or Lost World would help give the feeling of the speed at which you're traveling. The "solid ball" concept is the same principle, but for rolling instead.

can you tell I'm trying to channel Shaymay?

Heroes in general is somewhat underrated to me. And that isn't to say it's a masterpiece or devoid of fault.
But it's a fucking LOFTY game with OODLES of content, and is perhaps the ONLY mainline sonic game that managed to keep combat somewhat interesting.

Sonic Heroes was good, maybe even a great game. (For Sonic standards AYYYYYYY)

But it being the game that added weird shit like health bars like you were playing a goddamn beat em up game was so wrong. Yeah, let's play a platformer known for it's speed and add button mashing shit. It came to it's ultimate head in Sonic Unleashed: Ghost of Sparta but at least they seemed to learn from their mistakes.

You know? I might just have a particle effect from a previous project that could do the trick pretty nicely. I'll give that a shot. As for X button as well, that shouldn't be an issue. Just fine the bit of code that asks for the B button and then include X as well.

Good to have you on board. Thank you, user. At this point I'm beginning to block out level design among other things. I'm an okay animator, but my focus is on other aspects of the project at this time. Finally, non-textured would actually be preferable. Less baggage to lug around.

An even higher top speed animation would be pretty neat. We have the full-tilt animation now, but what if there were a level even above that where his feet go full-on anime? That would be interesting, indeed.

I agree it really didn't play like a Sonic game, but fuck if it didn't work well.

I feel that the next game, Shadow, actually built on this engine well, and the ring count=health bar mechanic felt like a really clever decision. Both games' gameplay had a noticeable amount of sudden starting and stopping, but the level progression of both felt fluid and straightforward while at the same time had a decent amount of open areas for exploration.

Overall, I think that Heroes and Shadow had one of the most versatile and interesting engines in the entire series, and I wish they could've done more with it. perhaps this type of gameplay is the third one for Forces? It would make sense if we could test custom characters' abilities with it.

not so fast. yes, pun intended Remember that the speed does need to cap at somewhere in order for the player to keep track of what exactly is going on in the game.

I just have a couple more questions. First, is Eggman going to be the only one that gives information about the exhibits, or will every Sonic character have a role? And second, how good are you with in-game lighting?

Break down for me exactly what you're suggesting. I'm a little lost. Keep track of what they're doing in what regard?

We might be having other characters chime in as well, but that's still up in the air. as for lighting, I feel that I'm pretty good at setting up lights and dealing with real-time lighting, but I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to Unity's baked lighting system.

If you want a max-speed animation just have Sonic distort a little and have his figure-8 go nuts like with LIMIT?!

I agree. I have the advantage, they have NOTHING!

Will other characters make physical appearances?
I just want an excuse to see/play as my waifu.

That's all up to the animators to decide.

I was curious about this as well. I don't want you to be overworked in regards to all of the characters, voices and animations as long as Sonic works and is fun to play as, but at the same time, imagine how cool it would be to unlock other playable characters.

I dunno yet. That's for waaay down the line after the level itself is pretty much done.

I'm not quite sure how to implement the Peelout style figure 8. I mean I can have his feet run in the pattern certainly but I don't know how to add the effects of the blur.

Your waifu a shit

I would shrink down Sonic's legs such that they go into his belly and replace them with two large, triangular ribbons to represent the feet. Then animate the ribbons similar to CD' Special Stage sprite.

The original Hedge Physics model does something similar. Hang on. I'll pull up a picture.

No one?

How does this make you feel, /sthg/?

They wasted money on a tattoo, big whoop.

To be innovative, you can probably achieve the same effect by distorting the model of sonic's feet into those exaggerated shapes. Which would also help maintian the feeling of it being a blur of Sonic's feet.

it's nice.
Hardly anyone is gonna know it's from a vidya. Most will assume its some random tribal shit like everyone else has.
Only true Sanic/Shad fans will know the truth from 50 years ago....

Here's it from the back...

What said

If you had a billion dollars /sthg/ but you could only spend it on Sonic related stuff, what would you/how would you spend it?

Side.

A Metal Sonic of my very own

Oh, come on. The image didn't upload

Pay a bunch of scienticians to genetically create and grow a Sonic, a Amy, a Cream, etc, and raise them, love them, train them all for the ultimate goal -
Live action Sonic movie but with real mobians.

That or do the same but for Chao.

Fund a fighter, commission a bunch of stuff.

wew.
>perky

I would buy that giant Sonic parade balloon. Also make me a Sonic room with a lot of stuff inside.

I still want to do the latter at some point.

A fully animated Sonic hentai series over 20 episodes long featuring every girl from the series getting banged and impregnated by human men.

Imagine if Zonetan wasn't a hypocrite and bothered to make even one Sonic flash

yes

Funding a game that will meet my incredibly specific standards

What would be the weight/strength equivalent of ""Miles Per Hour"?

It should be like Totally Spies doing something new every episode

I would give the money to sega and in exchange they would have to create several teams of developers to create games for the big three types (boost, adventure, classic) while having me in charge

my echidna

Specifically, if the name "Miles Prower" was derived from the measurement of speed "Miles Per Hour", what would be the equivalent for a name derived from a measurement of power/strenght/weight/whatever?

youtube.com/watch?v=5v15U2uaV6k

>measurement of power

Joules

>I've gotta find the Joules Emeralds!

This
>Make an account called "Unofficial SOA" across all sites
>Commission so much shit from so many artists people immediately recognize the name
>Commission tons of lewd as well, just to fuck with people
>Donate the most to fundraiser streams and such to gain good P.R
>Newssite begin to pick up on the phenomenon as it's a slow day
>Donate an excessive amount to Patreons from the Sonic comunity
>Donate the most to struggling streaming artists
>Donate most to fundraisers for Sonic community events
>People start thinking you work for SEGA
>Never confirm or deny it
>SEGA denies it but theories start being thrown around anyways
>Commission C.W and hire a bunch of the Mania Devs to make more fangames
>They're so good people once again think they're official
>Rehire past voice actors to voice the cast
>Fuck it even bribe SEGA to re-publish the comics continuing from where they left off
>Once again never confirm or deny working for SEGA
>The day when you decide to reveal yourself comes
>LIGHTS
>CAMERA
>ACTION
>A 11/10 model comes into the screen, people begin thinking Unofficial SOA is some bombin babe
>Actually just some model you hired to pretend to be you
>Few days later she disappears
>You gave her enough money to start a new life and to never speak of anything
>Days past with no news as people come to think Unofficial SOA is dead
>Few days later an account called, "Unofficial SOJ" pops up
>Process repeats until money dries up and you fade into obscurity

"Joules Prower" would be accurate

That sounds great. Don't forget to only post a few screenshots and never the full thing.

Correct answer here.

>buy Sonic IP
>sit on the IP and do nothing with it
Just like SEGA did with all their other cool IPs!

now i'm mad the comics never once used this

A moment of silence for Archie comics. They will be remembered

Joules Per Hour?

>no more dastardly devious Eggman
>Tassel boy forever shelved away and not properly made an example
Fuck

Yo /sthg/ if I made a Sonic fighting game should i use M.U.G.E.N. engine or a completely original engine.

Pic related: remember when I made this when this general was born?

yfw I know jack shit about making a fighting game

I was referring to more of a physical strength kind of power. Like Knuckles' power.

I'll never forget when Mighty and Honey were actual characters with personalities who weren't shelved after their initial game appearances.

youtu.be/JvBooDKQoUQ

Its a damn shame that Jun didn't use the official Soundfont of the Original Sega Genesis/MegaDrive for Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Ep 1 and 2.

Blaze stop posting you're drunk.

That's a nice pic.

I would commission Sonic inspired hospital decor like a bed that looks like the ground in Green Hill Zone, cabinets that look like palmtree tops, chairs and tables that look like totem poles, colorful wall murals, curtains that look the clouds, etc. I would try to get companies to mass produce these and have them donated or at least rented out to hospitals with terminally ill children and terminally ill adult sonic fans

I don't remember that for some reason. Huh.

aww
thats really sweet idea senpai

I don't think it matters if you don't know what you're doing.

I haven't finished the comics yet.

I'll be sad when I do, though, I'm enjoying it so far.

Dunno anything about game design, but there's a load of free textures 'n stuff to use here I guess
gametextures.com/free-materials/

Noted. Thanks.

>"See if you can make it through here, Sonic!"

This is now my favourite Sanic gif (until the next one)

Always knew lil' Eggman was lower quality, but never seen him up close before.

How are they getting these?

What's going on here?

I wanna see Blaze's reaction to this

sonic sneaking a selfie with a sleeping blaze

guy has balls.