Something I've been wondering for years but have never asked:

Something I've been wondering for years but have never asked:

Is there a service or method to investing in movies? Not the production company, but a movie doing well? What about investing in specific actors? If not, is it a concept worth perusing?

I think it's called being a producer.

there are public and private companies

its one thing to invest in Warner Bros.

its another thing to think that "publically held" movies exist. no, its intellectual property

Fair enough. I was hoping for some kind of betting pool site. I've always had fun anticipating what movies will do well year after year.

just steal an oscar and melt it down to a gold ingot

after you liquidate be sure to thank the academy

>melt down Oscar
> 'liquidation'
I see what u did there.

i think you can actually do that though. just call up a couple bookies and see if they're willing to take your bets.

probably illegal though in 48 states.

Is there a service out there that lets you bet money on the success/failure of an upcoming film?

Yes, in a nutshell this is what I'm asking. I just don't want to owe some bookie and end up with broken knee caps.

Kneepads will help with that

If there is no such legit betting service out there, would it be profitable to create one?

no

My thoughts exactly.

It would certainly be profitable for the creator of the system if you charged a small percentage for your service. And of course if it was popular, which is a long shot for anything.

Its a focus/concentrated bet.. .and thus a gambling licence would be necessary to do this service legit.

Unless darkweb w/monero

Nice. Good to know, thanks user

So what you're basically asking is if there is a market out there for films and acting and shit. Like a a commodities market? No that doesn't exist but American dad joked about that before

yes. basically do for acting/movies what Enron claimed to do for energy. Minus the fraud.

There are so many gigantic things in the way of this. I'm not even going to waste my thought-energy educating you. Just search up "Hollywood accounting" for one reason why this would never be feasible. I'll give you the next few weeks to learn what the fuck you're talking about to come up with the other reasons on your own.

he's just asking if there are bookies that will take bets on the success of movies you fucking clown. there is no involvement from the studios. just like betting on sports. maybe read the thread before you post in it?

what about betting on game sales?

How do you define success though? Won an award? Made more than X dollars?

Kek Jesus chill out user.
It's a pretty broad subjective concept that's open to different interpretations or ideas, nothing written in stone.

There are stocks for major studies I think.

But in terms of actual investing, the producers are comprised of a handful of people who all put in millions to be producers.

Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose, sometimes they win big. As an example anyone who was a producer on The Matrix or Die Hard probably got back 20x or 50x on their money.

But an opposite example would be Cloud Atlas, I don't think those producers even got their money back.

> worked in film for 3 years

*stocks for major studios

Step 1. Be Chinese
Step 2. Profit