Evo IX Restoration

I'm restoring and then building a freind's evo 9 that sat outside with the seats stolen since 2008. I'm pretty far along with it, trying to convince owner to let me build him a 2.3l motor w/maybe a gt35r Have some pictures

the dirt on this thing was fucking baked on or something, it was crazy. didn't come off with any chemicals or anything i tried, untll i got a 30$ steam gun off amazon- which took a lot of time to get everywhere, but was worth it

exactly where the car sat the whole time. i begun the project by getting lucky and finding a pair of the exact same seats that it should have for 1k within an hour's drive. maybe they were the seats that got stolen years ago after passing hands a couple times? dude bent the brackets up to fit them in a civic

a seat! had to find the seatbelt clicker, and the driver and passenger have to share one reclining knob, but they look good and were cheap AF

cleaning it up some more. around this time we sent the coilovers to tein in california to get completely redone and ordered the EDFC active pro system which is a controller and bunch of stepper motors that can adjust shock damping settings, either by selecting presets, or with the active pro you can set it up w a G sensor or gps to stiffen specific shocks automatically, front on heavy braking, outside wheels in a turn ect, or progressively over a certain speed. i have it hooked up both ways, it's neat!

EDFC has a fucking lot of shit to wire up. 5 fucking interconnected boxes for motor drivers, g sensor, gps module, and the controller etc. took my time on this and made the wiring as perfect as i could, i'm very proud of this installation,

solid bread, user.
keep it coming

EDFC motors in the trunk

theres more neglected JDM cars for when i'm done with this one too lol. owner is rich and crazy and wants a 4-rotor, i'm trying to talk him down to 3.

coilovers!

jesus christ, murder your retarded friend for letting all those fucking cars rot

front edfc motors!
not going to get into why, but it wasn't under his control. he spending a lot of money trying to get his babies back to when he had them or better. somene broke into where they were stored and took the motor out of the mr2, it's gonna get a v6 and trd s/c

this picture makes me sad

I would love to see udates op!

oops

a 2.3 is a good idea
but it might slow things down dont you think? it would be nice to get it going

don't be sad. they're all in capable hands with a loving owner and are going to get the same treatment as this evo.

here is said evo after the first full detail. at this point i have driven it and it needs brakes badly and only makes slightly over wastegate boost. back into the garage it went

lol did he take the fall for something and go to prison in exchange for a large sum of money?

well the idea would be to get it to dailiyable+ condition and buy and i'll build another motor/trans while he drives on this one for a while, and knowing him, probably plays with the boost controller and maybe breaks stuff but i'll hopefully have a fresh swap almost ready before that happens

>>steam cleanined the inside of the bumper and intercooler and shit while bumper was off to replace the shit spectre t-bolt clamps that didn't have a tension spring (need the spring ones for high boost stuff where the pipes expand and contract a lot- the lower hoses kept blowing off at shitty times and i was summoned via uber a couple times to fix it on the side of back roads at night) and installed hella supertones while bumper was off

after a full steam cleaning and running properly! this thing made 420whp last time it was tuned by jeff evans. i have an evoscan cable coming to tweak the tune some when the cusco power brace, ETS 3.5' intercooler specifically made to fit and andonised blue to match the power brace, and full ETS full titanium intercooler piping. because it looks bitchin as fuck and it's gonna be needed with the new motor and larger turbo anyhow,

bumper off again! the brace came in the mail and fuck waiting for the rest of the stuff to come, i'm bored. i've been living here on the owners farm for 2-3 weeks at a stretch paid per diem, and while i have more than enough shit to do, maintaining all the random equipments and atv/bikes as well and it was nice to get back into the evo after not touching it for a few weeks

Brace is on! i really like it! unfortunately, one of the hella supertones had to come off for now, as the bracket it was attached to won't fit with the new bumper beam, but atleast it was the high one and the car still sounds somewhat menacing

B E A M B O I S
this is where the car is at now. the owner just left with it right after i put the bumper on today, and i know he's playing with the boost controller and beating it (i told him to stay under 28psi but have fun otherwise) and thankfully the intercooler hose hasn't blown off *yet*. i cant wait until the new piping comes, hopefully today?

i've been diagnosing his race-built super crazy yfz450's plug fouling issue all day. i hate carbs ugh

car's fucking looking great at this point.

also, i forgot- some other stuff that's happening
-aluminum front undertray is coming
-matching cusco powerbrace in the trunk to match front
-acd pump is seized and needs to be sent out and rebuilt/improved- no traction probs in dry tho
-seat drop brackets
-maybe an e-boost2
-evo ix wheels maybe, set for sale around here for 500- the many spoked bare aluminum ones

installing the coilovers (owner bought a set of newer cheaper non-rebuildable ones to install now while his older rebuildable ones were getting done. reinstalled edfc motors on these, with threadlocker this time

op you're based, literally the only human worth putting a trip or name on in this entire board. do you have a forum where you post your build threads? or a YouTube channel?

You have weird friends, user.

Holy fucking bump

thanks, bro. i don't have any real kind of presence like that online, i'm thinking about making video content though. i don't do this kind of thing very often, although it is my greatest pleasure in life. I got sidetracked by doing drugs and nut shit for a while and went to jail, so i've had to claw my way back up from 0 with no tools or anything to even get to the point where i'm in a position where people trust me to work on this kinda stuff. it feels p awesome t b h

theres a v8 miata too but i'm not really into it. has a solid rear. it was ripped apart by whoever stole the mr2 engine and tried to steal the rx7 engine, and having to deal with someone's homebrew everything and it being old, i have to now deal with a weird custom homemade swap that was then ripped apart by someone else, and just ugh

Good luck finding one of those TRD superchargers.

They are rare as all fuck.

Finding a 1MZ-FE in good shape is piss easy though.

damn, i hadn't considered that. i was hoping i could buy one from the dealer still. guy wants me to buy the engine brand new from yota regardless of price, so i should be able to find a supercharger even if i have to overpay and get it shipped. i used to work in salvage and have damn good connections for finding parts

If you can find one, you will shell out 3K and it will take months to find.

Just buy a jap crate motor 1MZ with VVTI and turbo it. It will be alot less of a headache.

i had extremely mixed emotions upon seeing this bumper on the ground. i had this exact trim and color rx7 as a poster when i lived with my parents, so sad to see it in this state, but so glad i get to work on it.

that's probably the route i will end up taking then if i can't find it, thanks user. i had only done some cursory research regarding that project so far. i think it's next after the evo but i've been doing more homework on 26b's than anything else

i dunno if this means anything
its a 97 jdm rx7 manual twin turbo enfini (breddy sure)

where the fuck are you guys if you have all of these jay-dee-em cars? florida?

Jesus Christ OP wtf man

evo interior lookin' crisp
Pa

what does he do for registration on those newer cars then? just say fuck it? also, any GT-Rs?

my solution to hopefully keep the hose from blowing off untill the new piping comes
registration? what do you mean? why would that be a problem?

I could be retarded here, but I don't think you could register something like a 97 RX7 in the US since they were only sold here from 93-95 and it's not 25 years old yet. Idk, just curious.

he bought it from some kid in philly for 10k literally off the street flagged the dude down and asked what he wanted for it, back around 09 or something

last major project car i was doing before i started working for this guy
and i forgot to mention, when he got it it was already titled in pa they gave it some kind of special vin number because it wasnt in their system

i'm gonna continue this thread if it's still up tomorrow. got a couple packages waiting to be picked up!

oh and heres the quad that was pissing me off all day today

i was redoing the wiring when i took these pics, but now i'm dealing with it fouling plugs and also i think either it needs a resistor pack for the lack of stock lights or a new stator because it don't charge. gonna get some carb cleaner and take the carb apart tomorrow and see if i can get it to idle for more than 4 minutes without fouling so i can actually diagnose it

it's high compression and built the fuck up, only runs on c12 race gas or better. it's a fucking monster when it's running right- moderate power at low rpm's but when it gets on cam it's fucking terrifyingly fast

oh, i forgot- arp extended studs and huge gaudy extended lugnuts coming soon too!

i also rewired and replaced plastics yesterday on this 07 ktm he just bought a couple days ago.

wiring was FUCKED. and all the lights and fairings were niggered and ziptied on. i really like the bike now that it's cleaned up though. i'll have to take a pic tomorrow.

the go with 2.3 is usually a TD06 but if you're wanting to go north of 420whp you'll have to go bigger. have a look at some of the AMS setups

This is neat user, thanks for sharing

i've been looking at the 2.3rr 17k motor lol. dude was actually down but i could build basically the same thing for so much less and get all the labor for myself. i dunno, they had another built 2.3 for like 9k that was somewhat more reasonable and like what i'd end up using if i didn't do it myself. looking for as much power as possible on pump that's theoretically dailyable. i'd like to see somewhere in the 600 range before i'm finished with it.

thank you. i think it's neat too. it's like i'm on car vacation and getting paid for it. living on a farm in the woods a couple weeks at a time and working on cool stuff is so up my alley i can't believe my luck honestly. i did some work for sam hyde and i don't think i was this excited even then

the jist of their engine is a destroked 4G64 head on a 4G63. it will start to get laggy past 600hp but even that is pretty overkill in an evo. less weight goes further than more power on those later models

honestly i don't know why he want's that much power other than just because he can, the car is already scary fucking fast at the current level of tune. when i finally figured out the boost control issues and hit boost- and kept going the first time, it scared the hell out of me. 1st and 2nd are fucking raucous in this car. it's got carbon hood and trunk already, dude maybe wants fenders, and doors are just too much money. it's legit a daily and being built as such so there isn't much more weight i can take out without gutting the interior. bumper bar is gone for the cusco one and the trunk is completely stripped as well.

this is the exact intercooler the car is getting, made by ets to work with the cusco front power bar bumper beam delete thingie, and it's going to have the exact same blue andonizing to match the front cusco power bar+black ets stencil. same paint color of car, too interestingly. same company that is making us spot andonized titanium intake/intercooler piping to go with it

nice thread user

this was all done from the first day i saw the car in under 2 months now, so expect regular updates. i'm here fucking with it pretty much all day every day

That's fantastic mate, when you get it all up and running perfectly should take a vid of the whole car

it's pretty much done now as far as the restoration part goes. it's better than it was parked, i put all new pads and rotors (so expensive on evos- over 500 for rear pads at dealer) on it too and it's done about 500 miles as a daily on and off over the last 2 weeks or so. before i put the cusco bumper beam on mostly

Nice work dude.
How much are you getting paid to fix up each individual car? Do you get to keep any?

>it's got carbon hood and trunk already, dude maybe wants fenders, and doors are just too much money
gotten a price check for doors of an RS? They weigh quite a bit less than the standard doors and are a lot cheaper than going aftermarket.

i'm just getting paid a flat rate per day that i'm here and don't specifically decide i don't want to work, it was origionally going to be by the job, but i end up doing so much different little shit to different stuff every day it's just easier this way, Dude pays me way more than i'm used to and i don't pay for anything while i'm out here and get to live in his nice house and play with the toys

also, owner wants me to make him a headlight duct one of these days that i'm just waiting for other parts, i was gonna hack them up anyway and put projectors in the fogs (centermost light
isn't used at all in these specific ones)
didn't know that, checking up on it now

also should look at getting a wing especially with that much power. evos get pretty bad rear axle lift at speed.

Thanks for the great thread OP.

PHEW
Mk3 really gets me going.

1jz ported +stg3 bc cams and s366

what the fuck does this guy do for a living? great taste in cars too

i'm back guys.
wake n bake time then eating breakfast then deciding what i'm gonna work on today. fun!

i wish i knew what happened to the stock wing. i found the trunk up in the barn where the mazdas and mr2 are but no wing. was looking into maybe a carbon replica of the stock wing, if that exists, to put on on the carbon trunk

so what does he do for a living?

investor that already made his money. he manages properties and stuff to keep busy but he doesnt really have to

Dude, you're based as all hell for doing what you're doing and doing it well. Good luck, and keep posting because it's these threads that keep me on Veeky Forums

>gt35r

Good choice, don't forget to buy genuine

the mr2 sees the sun for the first time in 8 years!

the mr2 has a really neat custom red and black leather interior and speakers behind the seats. it was done not long after car was bought new and looks really neato

theres a fuly loaded alfa 4c with akrapovic exhaust downpipe and protune here. i fucking LOVE it, it's basically a nicer italian carbon elise with paddles

the engine bay is kinda nuts though
if anyone here still posts on sa i'm probably gonna make a continuing thread on AI

the v8 miata

4c. has carbon package w/ headlights mirrors side vents and wing, looks fucking great on a white car. thing gets dirty af fast though, and theres a spot on both sides in the back where a puddle of rainwater can collect and just sit which drives me nuts. such is the price of beauty

Wew lad. This guy has great taste in cars.

Mr. Two from the rear

Wheels and chemicals and scrubbing but before steam

Wheels after steam

Christ I want it

Does anyone know what this recaro is from? I wanna clean it up and make a shop chair out of it, I think it looks cool. If I had to guess I'd say it's from the mr2 before the custom interior? Maybe the Miata?

I know! With a v6, cleaned up, and if I can save the custom leather stuff it would be so fucking badass.

Is there a seat tag with a serial on it?

Holy shit op this is one of the best threads I've ever seen on Veeky Forums. I'm amazed at the transformation in that Evo. It looks really good, and I can tell you know what you're doing.
I'd love to be the personal mechanic/tuner of some crazy rich guy and just build all the things I dream of. I saw you saying you had some trouble in the past, but I really fucking envy what you're doing.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

I honestly didnt think to look. I just went home for a day or 2 until parts come in

Also- a random very old, very uncomfortable momo seat. There's a pair of both kinds of seats

Thanks user, means a lot.

None of my friends give the slightest fuck about this kind of shit and it sucks because I'm super happy about this whole thing and wanted to share this stuff with someone who appreciates, because I know I'd enjoy this if I saw it posted by someone else

Seconding this, top job OP. This is so much better than all the garbage we usually get such as Corvette vs GTR burger-ring times bench racing

>None of my friends give the slightest fuck about this kind of shit and it sucks because I'm super happy about this whole thing and wanted to share this stuff with someone who appreciates

I feel exactly the same, but not to the extent of what you're doing, they just shrug it off and aren't interested.

More mr2 interior

>None of my friends give the slightest fuck about this kind of shit and it sucks because I'm super happy about this whole thing

I only got into fixing/maintaining my own shitbox less than a year ago (mk4 jetta)

I think many of us feel this way

It's a shame, truly