How bad can an opel astra be as a first car?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hIryi5apYwg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

RUST

It's fine.

What generation? What engine?

opel astra G 1.7 DTI

>1.7 dti
>75 hp
>0-100 in 15,5 seconds

You'll eventually end up killing yourself.

ONE POINT SEVEN liters? Do you really NEED an engine that big?

a trike would be faster holy fuck
Well, it's one of the few opels on the market with few kms (around 120.000, and yes yuropoor)

yuropoor here
buy this car. its absolutely best max reliability. i beat mine to shit and it never breaks
just buy the gti version if you want more speed

If you want a diesel cheap ass shitbox that would be ok as first car (for 1 year) and can accept all your abuses and is inexpensive to repair, I'd suggest the Alfa Romeo 145 1.9 JTD.

put your trip back on, mjet

This or a Fiat Punto 2nd generation with the same 1.9 JTD.

I'm not mjet.

When I was looking for a first ultra cheap car I drove that Alfa Romeo, the owner asked me 990€ back in 2008 and the car was fine, it only needed new suspension.

In the end I got cucked by my grandmother who gifted me her Astra H 1.4 twinport...such a disgrace of a car.

Why are Volkswagens reliable in Europe but considered unreliable in the US? Does VW give us their factory seconds or are Americans just dumb niggers who destroy everything they touch?

Europeans are conditioned to take VAG's hairy cock up the ass.

Most Euro-market VWs are built in either Germany or some other Euro country, whereas the US gets mostly Mexico-built VWs.

That, and overnight parts from Germany are cheap as dirt over here.

I had the punto in my mind as a starter car but now I must consider the alfa romeo 145 as well, both of these got way more style than the mundane astra

hecho en mexico vs made in germany

My grandfather had a 145 1.3 petrol with the glorious Alfa Romeo boxer engine...it had a fantastic sound and revved up to 7000 rpms.

The downside: the car was a gas guzzler, but it was always a 90's engine.

youtube.com/watch?v=hIryi5apYwg

This would be my suggestion.
The 1.9 block is bulletproof.

He'd better off with a Stilo.

the Punto is a valid choice.

i have a opel astra G 1.6 16v with 232 000 km
and it's going fine
why pick a diesel though ?

Regular shitbox, but maybe you should try find smaller diesel vehicles.
Here in south america my 2nd car was a 2008 astra 2.0 flexfuel.
>put ethanol cuz gasoline prices
>POWAAAAAAAA
I miss that shit.

The rust isn't that bad. Mostly bubbles around the wheel arches. Just remember to give it some undercoating once in a while. Don't know much about the diesel engine, but the 1.6 16v is bulletproof. I've had it for almost 8 years and other than a regular service and new tires, the only thing I had to get done was the shocks. It's not blazingly fast, it's got that grandpa aura and the clutch is really fucking weird in 1st. The solution to this is getting on the beans when it bites and live with the annoyance of the occasional chirp. It's more fun in bendy roads and roundabouts than it has business being. The seats are utter shit, though. Use the gears right and it's a decent daily driver for keeping up with regular euro traffic. Mine has served me faithfully for all the years I've had it and during 300.000 km. Like I said, I dunno about the diesel, but the car in general is a very decent modern shitbox. A successor to the spirit of the late Kadett.

Not a big fan of diesels, but I mentioned before that the 1.7 dti only had 120.000 km and that got my attention. Anyways I've crossed out the astra 1.7 dti and replaced it with the 1.6 16v as it's really common here and I guess parts and maintenance won't be a problem. Also added the lovely alfa 145 to the wishlist

My astra g 1.6 16v has 482.000 and it's rolling along fine. Engine running like clockwork.

There's a reason if Opel discontinued the use of that piece of shit Isuzu engine with modern and better Fiat multijet diesels

Okay mjet.

Get an Omega dude

The 1.9 CDTI were horseshit

When I worked as a mechanic the 1.9s had the worse and most expensive repairs meanwhile the 1.7 only had some EGR issues and alternators in the case of the Astras

I own Golf mk4 euro. Its shit. Almost feels as if Im using some kind of old premium car. Yes, it runs. But other shit fails, electric windows, electic mirrors, door locks, door closing mechanism, always present condensation, windshield and front windows keep steaming up when a/c on. Manual shifter never gets right in first gear, somehow gets stuck in the middle between neutral and first. Second is grinding, 3rd ok, 4th getting stuck and also grinding sometimes. 1.6 petrol consumes shit loads of fuel and has shitty acceleration. Windshield wipers started screeching. Turn signals getting stuck, i.e. doesnt work and repetitive ticking sound can be heard from hazard button. Thats not the end. Just got tired of writing this up

Not fiat's fault if at Opel they're dogshit at making cars.

It's like what happened with the Audi 2.5 Diesel mounted on the Volvo V70 and the same year A6

>on Audi terrible reliability and tons of problems
>on Volvo flawless

My aunt has an Astra G with that engine. Says she's really happy with it.

On the other hand, you can look for the less ugly variant, the Corsa C.

My sister has a Toyota Yaris (the newest model) 1.0 69 hp 3 cylinders with basically the same time for the 0-100 km/h.

The car feels ok to drive in town but as soon as you're on the highway it's kind of dangerous since you need to rev to the limiter in you need to merge, go fast inside a roundabout with traffic, overtake > 70 km/h, etc..and this car weighs less than 1000 kg.

I would look at least, in lords year 2017, at something with 90-110 cv for a compact all rounder citiy car.

t. Jeremy Clarkson