What does Veeky Forums think of superchargers?

what does Veeky Forums think of superchargers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y7yinjJbPg0
youtube.com/watch?v=FRfrClxKUu0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So useless, no one uses them in motorsport.
You either go through the hassle of turbocharging, or you leave it NA, SS are pointless, even more nowadays with antilag and electric turbos.

>antilag
that's a thing? I always cringed at the idea of turbos having lag. How "antilag" are we talking?

>accelerate hot air into the engine

they're cool on V8's

New fag who has no idea of the differences between turbocharger and superchager here.

Can anyone briefly me explain the difference?

One does a thing, but the other does a slightly different thing, you can tell by the way it is.

as far as carts go I'm a newfag (also OP) but the difference is that they do the same thing, which is push more air into the cylinders.
Superchargers are attached to the engine with a belt and powered that way, creating boost
Turbos take engine farts (exhaust) to spin a turbine which creates the boost

Yes, you keep the mixture rich enough/other timing black magic, and you keep the turbo somewhat spinning. It's not anywhere near efficient, but it'll keep you spooled up and ready to go.

Depends on the setup. Some cars have a small tank of compressed air that will propel the turbine in a turbo when you stomp the throttle. This makes the turbo act 'immediately' instead of waiting on exhaust gases to build up and get it going.

Turbo uses exhaust gases to operate a turbine that draws in more air than otherwise would naturally come into the engine.

Supercharger does the same thing, except it uses engine pulleys instead of exhaust gases to operate the turbines; the difference is that a supercharger actually takes away power from the engine for a few brief moments before it actually starts adding power.

>carts
kill me

holy shit.
go to wikipedia and read about them you stupid fuck.
better yet, kill yourself.

>takes away power from the engine for a few brief moments

Wrong.
What it does is literally sap on crank power to run, whereas the turbos use power thrown away down the exhaust.

that being said the turbo typically has a lag, in that the turbine has to reach a high enough RP to deliver the boost, while superchargers can deliver boost at much lower RPMs

cheap and easy alternative for hobbyists. pull through carb set ups can be installed and tuned in a few hours. no fabrication of piping, no plumbing in oil lines, no fucking around with your fuel map.

cleetus has been strapping roots blowers to his engines since the 20's for a reason.

Thanks, looks like the supercharger, while not being as efficient, is more reliable?

nigger detected

If your drive train is robust enough to not be encumbered by parasitic losses at low RPMs theres nothing wrong with them at all
Pretty much the natural compliment to a proper American V8.

I asked for a brief explanation, which has been given, If I wanted to read an encyclopedia I wouldn't be here.

I don't know how you could quantify mechanical reliability without some lab testing, but a supercharger isn't as complicated as a modern trubo setup.

>it's not used in motorsport so its useless on the street

stop this meme

this board is for auto enthusiasts. why are you here?

Volvo uses compressed air to get the turbo spinning very quickly.

stop being a nigger, you can be on Veeky Forums and not know anything about cars for the sake of learning. yea he could have easily just watched a video on youtube or two but thats not something to go get your pitchfork over. What the fuck is wrong with informing someone?

Cunt.

>on the street
Who cares about going fast on the fucking street, nigger?
Getting tickets and putting everyone's life at risk while wasting gas isn't my definition of fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y7yinjJbPg0

please tell me you don't have to replace it every once and a while. I'm assuming that's the case since it would be retarded if the car lugged an air compressor around

Inter-cooled centrifugal supercharger master race

It has its own compressor.

Who cares about your definition of fun faggot

>putting everyone's life
not if you know how to fucking drive properly and "speed responsibly". People who actually know what they're doing and when to do it are absolutely no risk to anyone

Can your supercharger do MISFIRINGU SHYSTEM?

youtube.com/watch?v=FRfrClxKUu0

I'm going to get fucking arrested for people thinking I just committed a drive by shooting

is initial D actually good or is it just a meme

Turbos aren't entirely free, but they are significantly more efficient

I agree that I'd rather share the road with people speeding, but that know what they're doing rather than the bunch of idiots who brake check all day long and can't check the fucking mirrors. Yet, I'm no boyracer, I'd rather keep my turbo econobox than going for a supercharged madness.

You can see the compressor over the air tank on left side of the image.

Yes, putting back pressure on the engine isn't good, but it's better than fucking pulleys on the crank.

5% meme
10% stupid artstyle
10% actual car knowledge
25% touge
50% the hypest music you have ever heard my nigga

I don't understand what problem you have with superchargers being belt driven.
They still allow you to get far more power than they will ever draw from the engine so I don't really get your argument there.

(you) pic related

I had an idea a while back about fixing that problem, the people who know how to drive over the limit responsibly. actually gonna make a post about it brb

ah, was wondering what that was

Other than lag superchargers also have N/A like transient response. So the engine feels N/A all over.

gateem

Thermodynamically, I think I understand Turbos. I don't fully understand why superchargers work thermo wise. It seems like a free lunch. You take power directly from the crank to spin something that blows back. Each thing having its own set of losses. How does this work? The crank isn't "wasting" anything to be recovered like the exhsust does. Please help me sleep.

What I was implying is that there is a brief net negative (engine power) from the use of a supercharger at least until it gets the necessary boost to overcome that.

As said, that isn't an easy question, neither of them are terribly complicated. The only note worthy thing I can think of with Turbochargers is that Ford is having a little bit of an issue with them and people who do induction cleaning. When you clean the valves on your engine, bits of carbon can break off and clog passages in the turbo as it leaves the engine; this can cause the turbo to overheat and then bind up. Take that for what you will, but generally, there isn't anything noteworthy regarding reliability between the two.

well said my friend
but you forgot the thots and lonely dribers

They waste efficiency for no good reason.
If they don't make more power than turbos, why even bother?

Superchargers aren't a free lunch. You'll get parasitic losses at low RPMs, you need to spin it up before you can start making more power.
They also produce a lot of heat.

It's literally a feedback.
You're using the engine power to feed the engine more air.
On the other hand, Turbos also use power, but it has to do with the thermal losses on the exhaust rather than literally sapping the crank.

I never understood the fun of parking your car so people can look at it.

No one uses it in motorsport but they're great for cheaply modified cars.

You can supercharge anything with minimum effort. A turbo is more costly in every way.

>Linear power band
>Its cheaper to supercharge NA engines than to turbocharge it

>I can't have fun on the street

not my problem faggot

>linear power band
Nice meme, DeMuro.
>it's cheaper
If you wanted cheap, you wouldn't bother modifying it to begin with.

>thots

>you need to spin it up before you can start making more power
Same with turbos but turbos, are far worse for that.

egobewst

not his point

his point is that if you want to add more power to your car, supercharger is the way to go as far as budget assuming your car can handle the added stress

Pretty good for low end power and instant throttle response. Can be easy to install.

Overall more parasitic loss due to mechanical connection. However, they can actually be more useful than turbos if you're trying to make a super-lean engine:

While your afr would be higher from running lean, the total fuel consumption would go down to maintain volumetric efficiency. To keep that much air coming in, you cant use turbos because the exhaust would have so little enthalpy. Thus, a supercharger is optimum.

This is the basis of some Eaton superchargers made for desiels. My old ICE professor helped design it. Pretty cool stuff.

I know it's not a free lunch. That's my point. Turbos are a cost reduced lunch. They are using mostly waste energy to spin a thing that blows back into the engine. But how do superchargers buy you any lunch at all? They use power off the crabk. The crank isn't putting off any waste.

I know they work. But I just accept it like magnets. Nobody has ever offered me a good explanation thermodynamically.

Unless you're talking about an engine that has a ready made supercharger kit, that's false. All things equal, it's cheaper and easier to fab a turbo install than it is a supercharger install.

>people shouldn't ask questions because they can just read about it on wikipedia
Guess how I know you're autistic

In a nutshell, the supercharger uses a certain amount of power, and in return it provides more power than it has lost to deliver that power.

I would like to know why hot hair is worse than cold air in the cylinders though

it's used all the time in rally

Turbo is feedback too. But it mostly relies on wasted heat and blowing air and recycles that into more power. Like regenerative breaking. You have a thing that has waste you can recover and use that waste energy later.

Where is the waste off of the crank? Unless your supercharger only works down hill, or when slowing down.

Think of it like this. The oxidizer the supercharger delivers has more potential than the shaft work from the crank.

You're the first person I've ever heard that from, so I can't really believe you

everyone whos said something about the price of turbos has said they're not as cheap as superchargers

Think of it this way:
Superchargers on idle engine are costing you power. The mechanical interaction and increased friction is robbing the engine of power.
You have to increase RPMs until you finally reach the break even point.
Once you pass this break even point then you start producing power.

Each revolution of the crank sucks in and spins a fixed amount of air. If the frequency of this additional air intake is too low then you are wasting power in the cycle. If however the frequency of this operation is fast enough then you are producing a net benefit.

Density of the air and how it effects combustion.

I'm with him.
Questions are one thing, but people who ask questions as inane as that one should kill themselves.

the waste on the supercharger is that the engine powers the supercharger, to create more power. the engine is not only propelling the car forward, but is now cranking the supercharger. that's the waste

>I'm a good driver so mistakes can't happen

No I agree that people should be self-sufficient especially now that the internet is a thing but the guy is asking an auto related question at least and not shitposting, something you can't say about the asperger attacking hom

>Density of the air and how it effects combustion.
that makes sense, thanks user

that's not what I said. If someone knows what the fuck they're doing and WHEN to do it there's no added risk.
e.g. the risk level stays relatively the same, unless that "good driver" oversteps their abilities without knowing it, like everyone else can

As far as hot air vs cool air.
#1 cool air is more dense. More dense is more power because it's more.
#2 cooler air is cooler charge. Cooler charge has less tendency to detonate. Less tendency to detonate can be spent with more compression, more boost, more timing advance, leaner mixture or all 4. All 4, to a point is more power.

not the guy who asked about superchargers but sometimes it's nicer to get the answer from an actual person and not just read robotically written explanations
Every time you have a question and don't look it up before hand 100% of the time doesn't make you a fucking asshole and subhuman scum.
>tfw asking a question and not googling it adds you to the list of people who don't deserve to live

I understand now, thanks user

>404 File Not Found

We ran out of Jonathans for Crumbling long ago monkey man.

Yeah this is why I called him a fucking autist

Imagine conversing like that in real life with someone
>hey bro how do turbochargers work?
>google it you piece of shit omg kill yourself
>uhh did you take your medication today dude?

>actual person and not just read robotically written explanations

All the definitions in the internet were written by actual persons. Artificial Intelligence is not on the loose writing Wikipedia articles, yet. You just think you are somehow getting a better answer either because it is more recently written or because it is written custom for you. Because you are a very illogical person

>asking a question and not googling it adds you to the list of people who don't deserve to live

There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people who ask questions they don't have to because they don't think the vast totality of human knowledge already published on the subject is good enough for them because they are mommy's special little question asker.

>stop being a big meanie!
Depends how inane the question is. In this case, that poster should kill themselves.

Why no supercharged baikus, guys? Wouldn't the even increase in boost and high boost levels at high rpm be beneficial compared to turbos that kick in at a certain point and instantly kill you?

I can't post on /pol anymore. Says my country is blocked. What mean by this? I'm mercan dammit.

Samefag Megee

bad posts

H2

The Ninja H2R has a super if I remember. Super charger kits for Harleys is actually a big market, and there are even kits for the Busa.

I should stop buying the garbage that's attached to it

>people who asks questions are dumb
you're damn right I fucking hate this site

>people who asks questions are dumb
That's not what was said at all Mr Obtuse. *People who ask dumb questions are dumb.
Feel free to check yourself out. Of life.

Yeah but all other force induction production bikes in history have been turbos, and in my opinion there are far more turbos on the aftermarket as well.

the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked
who the fuck cares where it gets answered
if you do, you're a faggot

>twin turbo kit for my car is 20k
>SC kit is 10k and I can do it in my garage

Preferences vs real life

wait so can you supercharge and turbocharge without it being aids?

>this many pulleys
American engineering, everyone.

Volvo did exactly this for a while. The T6 drive train had a turbo and a super on it to provider power and more efficient combustion throughout its entire band.
Though they recently did away with the super in favor of an air compressor and electronic system to pre spin the turbos.

can it be done custom though? reliably?