/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for shitfights between Paradox and Amplitude fanboys and all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/

tfw to intelegent not to play as genocidal maniacs edition

Last thread: >Stellaris
- Pastebin: pastebin.com/YHdisqem
- WIP Ship Design Guide for 1.5.1: pastebin.com/2QWUPKSh
- Another Ship Design Guide for 1.5: reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
- Wiki: stellariswiki.com/Stellaris_Wiki
- The Development of Stellaris gamasutra.com/view/news/274018/Postmortem_Paradox_Development_Studios_Stellaris.php

>Endless Legend
- Manual: cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
- Wiki: endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE): well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot: multiplayerrobot.com
- District Cheat Sheet: hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba (unembed)

>Alpha Centauri
- Essential improvements: pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories: mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

>Endless Space 2
- Official Wiki wiki.endless-space.com/
- Soundtrack soundcloud.com/flybyno/sets/endless-space-2-soundtrack
- Community Hub games2gether.com/
- patch notes
games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forums/65-general/threads/25869-1-0-5-preview-patch-notes?page=1
games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forums/65-general/threads/25780-preview-1-0-4-patch-notes?page=1
-wiki
wiki.endless-space.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/MafuQCU4
pastebin.com/cXx0KWZG
pastebin.com/9ftMjLNH
pastebin.com/U3TMWZ5J
pastebin.com/e58V9juk
pastebin.com/uFm0vX7u
pastebin.com/diSfzncX
pastebin.com/8hrq9bbT
youtu.be/sJLt64TOGRw
implyingrigged.info/wiki/Veeky
implyingrigged.info/wiki//civ4xg/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for total galactic genocide of the xenos and euthanizing the elderly and retarded

BEHOLD
In an effort of autism unbounded, I have recorded all of the modules for all of the faction's ships; upgraded and not.
My thanks goes to that wonderful modder who made the sandbox mod.

>Sophon
pastebin.com/MafuQCU4
>Cravers
pastebin.com/cXx0KWZG
>Lumeris
pastebin.com/9ftMjLNH
>Vodyani
pastebin.com/U3TMWZ5J
>United Empire
pastebin.com/e58V9juk
>Horatio
pastebin.com/uFm0vX7u
>Riftborn
pastebin.com/diSfzncX
>Unfallen
pastebin.com/8hrq9bbT

Do protector/coordinator ships have their use or should I just go for attackers/hunters?

They're pretty much necessary if you want to hit speeds greater than 11-12 units per turn.

Having a few protectors/coordinators decked out in H-fields can easily bring larger fleets up to 20+ move.

W H A T
H
A
T

I guess the tech won't drop anyway, and it's not as if the perk will be available since we have gone down the genetic route

Because I'm too broke to buy a game I literally can't beat, should I play stellaris, EL, ES, civ 5 or civ 6?

no

I'd gape you.

>UE
>Six fucking broadsides
>S I X

Y-you too

IIRC some of the tech can drop with a Psionics expertise scientist, but you'll still never by the Psychic master race.

>can't create a race of lesser xenos with psionic abilities that are kept in containment and harvested for access to the shroud or unleashed to obliterate our enemies

step it up devs

>Late game ES2
>Actually have large fleet encounter for once
>Except the sound and visuals utterly fuck up with larger fleet fights
Ebin

Is there actually a difference between broadside and spinal?

>playing United Empire
>more than 10 colonies over the limit
>manage to hold happines on all system, only one rebelion
>reach the tech that auto assimilates system under your influence
>shit goes out of control
>anarchy that turns into an Ecologist dictatorship
>mfw

Tall play is dead, most civs are either poorly thought out or just useless, especially DLC civs like Australia.

"Technically" not, except for the fact that broadside slots are actually two weapons (one per side).

Realistically speaking, this means that broadside weapons have double the firepower if their specific orders (in combination with the enemy's) would allow them to get double broadsides off.

If you have benthic gems you can get -50% expansion disapproval combined with their trait -25% of you can take over the entire galaxy.

>Playing UE.
>Become Galactic Superpower and stay United Empire
>Need Adamantiam
>Lumeris wants 150k Dust and 150k in Void gems for 5 Adamantiam worth 500 dust.
>Offer to buy her system that produces it instead for less.
>She accepts.
>Next turn she declares war on the most powerful empire in history and the galaxy has ever known. Sends her fleets to the planet I just bought.
>Purchase 2 of the most powerful carries ever created in 1 turn and destroy her entire army instantly.

WTF this bitch thinking???

would look into benthic gems
>mfw just got anarchy again now its a democracy
meanwhile i am just buying out battleships on all systems

>If you have benthic gems you can get -50% expansion disapproval combined with their trait -25% of you can take over the entire galaxy.
Does the percentage stack multiplicatively or additively? If I took Expansionist II for -50%, would that make 0% penalty?

what exactly does combat speed do in stellaris? What is it good for?

dodging

Affects how fast your ships move in combat, pretty essential on corvettes.

that's evasion dummy

ok thanks, so improves closing speed, does it increase evasion? Because afterburners don't mention evasion

Not as far as I'm aware of.

I don't think anything in the game stacks manipulatively.

thanks

>it's a red prophets episode
nope, not dealing with that shit again

so what is the difference between a 4x game and a grand strategy game

What the fuck anons, why aren't the synths infiltration bombings stopping? I already fucked their homeworld but hydrogen bombs keep blowing up my planets.

>ES2 lets me turn useless minorities into manpower
>also lets me get rid of useless minorities without being the bad guy
I can get behind this.

>they declare war on me for no reason
>50k army to my 1000
>invade, destroy half my stations, promptly fuck my shit up, they get bored, leave
>10 year truce expires
>they declare war on me because they're bored
>repeat

wtf

stop colonising near then you maroon

my borders aren't even touching theirs!

idiot

Fug it keeps happening

I guess you didn't learn respect, alien scum!

OFFICIAL BEST SHIPS COMING THROUGH

>Civilian
Vodyani / Riftborn

>Exploration
United Empire / Horatio / Riftborn

>Attacker
United Empire / Riftborn

>Protector
Riftborn

>Hunter
Riftborn

>Coordinator
United Empire / Horatio / Riftborn

>Carrier
Vodyani / United Empire

Prove me wrong
>protip
You can't.

>No "artisan troupe festival bombed" event

Seriously though, fuck those guys.

Does anyone have a webm of angry Riftborn-chan flickering?

is it possible to win a war of attrition against the unbidden?

What Stellaris mod allowed you to change the name of your title midgame?

So I finished my game with UE in ES2. I won on about turn 125 by economic victory. I forgot to turn it off.

By that point I had so much money from trade routes, influence and science from production. I made like 500k dust per turn and could buy anything instantly with tier 5 techs. It was just a matter of sending fleets of carriers to their homeworlds and winning.

Empire seems pretty bad but their quest is REALLY strong. I think playing on smaller maps might be better than large ones though. The AI would have a hard time finding me on the other side of the galaxy and trying to stop me before it's too late.

I spawned next to only the Lumeris which a large empty space on the other side of me.

pls respond

lmao no

Unbidden don't have to worry about things like resources. Unless you take out the portals those fucks will keep on coming.

I'm at the academy quest with the 7 planets. What do you get for finishing it?

Holy shit... listening to this album while playing Stellaris is fucking amazing

youtu.be/sJLt64TOGRw

It's not totally that clear. The Sophons Carrier for example has 3 spinal weapons compared to UE's 2.
It also has 5 defenses compared to UE's Carries 4.
I think the Sophon Carrier might be better. It would take a long time to compare them all though. I got stuff to do.

Does anyone want to create a fucking wiki for this game and post all this shit?

Eh, broadside weapons are technically better than spinal.

For instance, if a ship were to go straight up the middle between two enemy flotillas (which can happen), a ship with four broadsides can shoot 8 guns at once, while a ship with four spinal can only shoot 4 guns at once.

3 out of the 4 contacts I've made are hive minds

That almost never happens. I just played 500+ turns worth of games and not once did that happen. Stop being autistic.

4X games are generally more standard games, there are clear and defined win conditions, and winning is the main objective.

Grand strat games are usually more sandboxy and focused on roleplaying and making your own goals rather than having straight victory conditions.

Broadsides firing on both sides specifically never happens, it will only be either one side or the other depending on where it is focusing.

>implying
I forget the exact combination of orders where it does happen, but I've had quite a few battles where the flotillas do pic related.

You're right that it's not -common-, but it does happen.

>4X games are generally more standard games, there are clear and defined win conditions, and winning is the main objective.
>Grand strat games are usually more sandboxy and focused on roleplaying and making your own goals rather than having straight victory conditions.

GSG's start with a defined map and in a historical earth setting. Most of the time.

Playing vodyani RN and currently 100% of my battles consist of long range broadsiding (impossible difficulty).
Fully upgraded vodyani hunter hulls are BEAST though. Lasers all day every day. The short range laser needs to be completely redesigned

My favorite thing about the Riftborn ships is that their ships aren't even designed around the guns.
They just slapped some hovering turrets on wherever they thought it would look good, and the autistic mathbots just said "yeah, that's probably enough guns"

Can I get some help building a ship? Not exactly sure what I'm doing.

Don't use missiles.

Should I use Kinetics, Laser or a combination of both?

A combo of both.

Sophons get 4 support slots on their protector, more than any non-carrier ship. It works the best as a fleet support ship or stacking per CP destroyed modules. Seems like it's the best support ship in the game.

What about range, should I focus on a certain range or have it spread out between all 3 ranges?

It doesn't matter that much.

Long Range on 4 CP ships, Medium on the 2 CP and Melee on the 1 CP?

Vassalize the fanatic purifiers, or just take their planets?

What about Defenses, combo of both I assume as well?
How do I split offenses and defenses, 50 - 50 %, 60 - 40 %? etc.

Forcing their government to bend the knee and serve under xenos is literally the worst punishment you can give them.

As long as you don't use missiles as they're prone to reaching ships already destroyed by kinetics and lasers. Set everything to long range.

A 50/50 split is safest until you get the hang of designing around counters.

lmaoing @ these ayys

Good to hear. You'll probably come back because EL is sometimes hard to figure out but in the meantime, have fun.
So it's like Stellaris with missile overkill? Fug

missiles can be good if they are spread out on your ships instead of stacked on one ship. But it need to be combined with the default targeting tactic of evenly targeting all enemy ships. It allows you sometime to wipe their whole fleet in the first phase.

If you use the nosebreaker tactic where your fleet only target the first ship, only focus on long range kinetic and a few laser of either long or medium so you can change target mid phase.

Also, most battle are decided in the long phase

Am I the only one here who has complete bios for all their species, but refuses to write them down?

So what's the deal with this planet?

Play Endless Legend
It was a Concrete Endless' testbed for weapons and general tampering with races, as well as where EL's action takes place.
Pretty much important for everybody.[/spoilers]

But ES came before EL.

Yes and? They made endless legend based on their overall endless lore

I see.

Why are unfallen so fucking fun bros
Two vine ships brings vines to a system in 5 turns. Usually I like to go tall but im spreading my seed everywhere. What kinda victory should I shoot for

Wasn't Auriga added to ES1 when EL came out?

Supremacy

Yes. An army of militaristic space trees. I like it. Their ships seem a bit too defensive though

You don't need an army for supremacy.

Is there a way to control which pops get chain ganged? Horatio keeps outbreeding out fast I can conscript him and I don't want to get rid of my pops of the best minor faction.

Auriga was always in ES1

title of what

>double
Wut, ships only shoot one side

move minor pops to another system
or move H to a system with no food

>play custom ship bound race
>cant purge minorities
Ahhhhhh

wtf is wrong with you why would anyone want to secure the existence of their people and a future for their children by exterminating minorities? xeno diversity is worth the uptick in terrorism. food is quite literally worth dead children.

>that shitty /pol/tier sarcasm

Yeah, no.

Inb4 reddit - fuck islam and every religion

So yeah VGL 8 starts next week and /civ4xg/ will play this upcoming Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
implyingrigged.info/wiki/Veeky Forums_League_8_Qualifiers

implyingrigged.info/wiki/Veeky Forums_League_8
implyingrigged.info/wiki//civ4xg/

I'm pretty new to 4x games and I have trouble with some management aspects.
First if all, I always struggle how much attention I give to my military. It's always way too much so that my economy tanks or grinds to glacier speeds or I invest way too little to the points pirate vessels have a field day.

How much and how fast do you expand and preferably to where?

What is the purpose of defense vessels? I tend to just stack attackers to actually kill targets instead of shooing them away.

Can a trve understander please educate this prole?

user, the riftborn protector gets 5 support, 3 defense, and 2 weapons.

The sophon protector gets 4 support, 2 defense, 1 support/defense, 1 generic, and 1 weapon.

While it can do 6 support at best, it's otherwise at the cost of only having 2 defense and 1 weapon.

Additionally, the Riftborn coordinator has the most raw support modules (6) out of all ships, along with the most raw defense; other coordinators can have more than it, with the Horatio coordinator potentially having 7, but at the cost of giving up defensive or weapon slots.