Australian here (Melbourne)

Australian here (Melbourne)
Just got my P's and looking to buy a new car. I was looking at carsales.com.au but I realised I have no idea what I'm doing.
Pretty much want a car that I can do mini roadtrips with. Planning to go to Uluru (it's mostly paved roads) next year so I need something that will suit. What should I start looking up? Budget is probably 6k for the whole thing.

Sounds like you need a wagon or ute. 6k is going to be pushing it. You'll be fucked over by dealers but also run the risk of buying a right shitbox that breaks on you straight away through a private sale.

How many people are you planning on taking? Is it all going to be on sealed roads or are you wanting to bush bash?

because you are on your P's certain cars are off limits falcons (non XR) will be fine.

buy a AU falcon wagon so you can sleep in the back.
or a van like the tourists do

as with any prospective new purchase: get indipendant mechanical inspection before you buy the vehicle. id also recomend changing the all the fluids if you dont know the histroy of the car.

if you spend more than 6k on a falcon. they saw you comming...

don't really want a ute/wagon since I'll want this for 95% inner city driving and driving friends around.
Prolly 4 of us. We have a tent/we'll stay in accom, don't really plan on staying in car.
pretty much just sealed roads don't plan on a bush bash.

don't need to stay in the car, just need something that will stand the roads.

>I'll want this for 95% inner city driving and driving friends around
Just get any semi decent 5 door hatch then you faggot.

>5 door hatch

Some luggage space for could be handy if the 4 of you are going to Uluru. If its just you the hatch should be fine.

Not sure why Uluru but shit is expensive out there. The road to the Olgas was corrugated to shit when I went there so if those are on the list none of this low profile tyre rubbish, get steel rims and low the pressure a bit when you hit the washboard.

Honestly he shouldn't base his purchase over one potential road trip. He should get what he thinks is best for his daily usage and then just suck it up and use it for a road trip.

Find a model you like and buy one.
If not, find one you like and buy something like it in your range.
Or just sort "Price range: $5-6k" and see what comes up.
I just bought my first car, was all "Hey, for $3000 that's fucking cheap", then saw another and was all "For $5000 you're getting a lot more", "For and extra $1000 over the last that's a must have", eventually I settled on a Toyota Aqua, searched all of them, and the first result was a three month old one for $20,000 and I went "Fuck it, sure" and bought that one.
Just b urself dood, get whatchu want
Wasn't a car guy before, knew nothing, but a month later I've got three of the fucking things

do you care about drivetrain?

>don't really want a ute/wagon since I'll want this for 95% inner city driving and driving friends around.
Prolly 4 of us. We have a tent/we'll stay in accom, don't really plan on staying in car.
pretty much just sealed roads don't plan on a bush bash.

>don't really want a ute/wagon since I'll want this for 95% inner city driving and driving friends around.
In the city parking and traffic will be fucked regardless of the size of your car
A holden/ford wagon isn't gonna be much larger than a standard car. It's not like you're getting a Nissan Patrol or some shit.

If theres four of you in one car going on a roadtrip you'll need lots of space which is what a wagon would be good for

t. melbourner with fuckhueg Saab 9-5 Wagon

helps if you post where you are located you pleb.

so far all we have is

>6k
>not a ute or wagon

so, help us narrow it down a bit.

manual?
rwd?
fwd?
age limit?
km limit?
more details.

holy god I fucked up the formatting of that post big time somehow.

in short just get a early 2000s Holden or Ford wagon for dirt cheap. Station wagons are literally THE most superior form of automobile.

>australia here (melbourne)
Nigger can you read?

Why not a Camry wagon?

camry is good aswell

wagons in general are the best

I honestly want one of these just so I can build an Egyptian linen bed in the back like in the Top Gear Africa Special.

do you have a lot of money?
because maintenance on one of those is fucking expensive and complicated, ford and holdens are dirt cheap and simple but reliable.

if you want one from the africa special get the volvo

>do you have a lot of money? because maintenance on one of those is fucking expensive and complicated

kek horseshit, i've got a 528 and its simple. parts dont cost as much as people think for these and maintenance is easy. new BMWs are a total pain the ass but the E39s and earlier are easy.

As long as it didn't have low profiles, maybe. The BMW just seem more comfy.
Hammonds Scoobaru seemed more like a hatchback than a wagon.

Have you ever actually worked on one? Theyr'e not that difficult and parts really aren't that much. You've fallen for the euro car reliability meme.

the parts cost more than they do for a ford or a holden.
there are simply more parts available for them especially when you consider the fact that the parts on sedans and utes are interchangeable with the wagons.

>the parts cost more than they do for a ford or a holden
so do parts for ANY car that wasnt locally produced. the price difference isnt that extreme at all either.

Get a vy commodore. Cheap as fuck, motor is reliable if you look after the poverty radiator plastic top, easy to get parts Ect. Also it's air rock, you abbo loving cuck

Buy a Mazda 3 and be done with it.