RIP LLV

LLV replacement prototype spotted

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Citation#X-11
youtube.com/watch?v=RzuqI8qL9pE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pls no. this is not comfy.

Why don't use cab over ?

it's 1 of 5 entries into the LLV replacement program. perhaps the winning design will be more comfy.

didn't AM General already win the bid for the contract? Or are they presenting several concepts themselves?

also,

ROUND HEADLIGHTS CONFIRMED

SORT OF

can we talk about how this was almost a thing at one point

I was about to ask this same question

>when the LLV gets replaced, none of them will go to market and they will ALL be scrapped

why is life so unfair?

Is that the new icecream van??

im sure you might be able to nick a few from junkyards.

where there's a will there's a way

>reading jalopnik unironically
>believing torchinsky and his lies
you are fucking up royal
besides nigga we already had an iron duke powered sports car
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Citation#X-11

well, lie or not, i'd still fucking buy it.

>an LLV based roadster with fucking riveted aluminum bodywork, a fucking SLIDING DOOR, and headlights separated from the body like in the old days

Safety.

We have length rules for vehicles, still vans have a long nose, taking away 1m of storage room, just for the mandatory crumple zone.

What about the Isuzu NPR and mitsubishi canter?

Those are on sale in the US brand new today

They are in Europe too.
They count as trucks though, so maybe they're exempt.

>would still buy a grumman llv roadster
>llv based
>s-10 Body On Frame construction
>rear axle from a 4x4 s-10
>low gearing for stop and go traffic
>all that engine bay for an iron deuce I4
dude if u want a piece of shit go buy an x-11

How are you going to reach mail boxes if you're sitting up that high?

I hope municipalities auction them off when they're retired because I want a slammed LLV. Or a lifted offroad one

You can get out of service LLVs now

>sitting up that high

They were sitting that high before anyway, pic related. There would be no engine to sit over seeing as it is electric.

The operator still has to get up to sort his mail and boxes anyway.

motherfucker it looks cool. it's got a shitty iron duke, of course it wouldve been garbage. it simply looks neat, and being based on the LLV is a novelty

you must be great fun at parties

Sure buddy.
youtube.com/watch?v=RzuqI8qL9pE

Sup guys. I'm an actual mail carrier. I regularly drive the LLV's and FFV's

Ask me anything. And no there is no actual confirmed design for the new vehicles. Although some offices got Promasters for parcel delivery and park and loops.

Haven't seen any near me

whoops forgot to include this pic

I had to do some range analysis for a class, and it seemed that a 150mile EV mail truck would be perfect for a huge portion of the USPS routes. Oddly enough converting USPS buildings to having dozens of L2 chargers in the parking lots was a major cost compared to buying the darn things. Lots of USPS locations are old buildings, so they would have to be completely rewired to be able to accommodate charing a ton of EVs after the mail is delivered.

Would your work be possible with only an EV?

whats the story behind the FFV?

they always looked like a 90's version of the LLV

>fiat van

>n-no it would've been great!
>underpowered roadsters are best!
>gets in miata
>drives to boyfriends house
>inserts penis in butt
parties are for normalfags

Tough question. for basically all city side carriers it would probably be fine. Even on sunday amazon delivery most carriers would be pressed to drive that much in a day. The question is how would the constant stopping and starting of the vehicle affect the battery life.

But some rural carriers drive over 100 miles in a day. As the batteries would start to degrade they wouldn't be able to do the full route on one charge I'm guessing.

Check government auction websites. People turn them into ice cream trucks and all sorts of other shit. They're pretty rare but you can usually get them for cheap. Low miles but high operating hours.

FFV stands for Flexible Fuel Vehicle. They were an attempt by the Post Office to go from gas to Ethanol based fuel. Obviously it didn't work but luckily the FFVs can still take regular unleaded. They're much more comfy than LLVs but are a tiny bit taller and more narrow. Personally I prefer driving the FFV, even though the mail tray can't move you can actually move your seat up and down.

>he said as he scratched the stubble on his enormous neck, yelling out to his mother on where his chicken tenders were

Fow what it's worth you won't find an LLV with under 150k miles. That may seem like low miles but consider how often mail carriers get in and out of the trucks and start and stop the vehicle. They are decent trucks for the job but are generally prone to breaking down.

well i mean, I imagine anyone who's willing to buy an LLV in the first place, is gonna probably replace the engine

That's why you would only by an LLV if you had intentions of doing some customization
First thing would be to take the body off the frame and check the condition of both, considering these things are aluminum shells they shouldn't have much in the way of corrosion, also alot of people don't realize that the front axle is narrower than the rear, so adjustments to the suspension or I'd say fuck it and go tube frame with whatever sick fucking engine you want in it and get the three pedal setup from an S10 and put a Borg-Warner T56 with whatever fucking GM engine you want

how can you type while taking that much torchinsky benis?

Beyond the engine the body itself will generally be in poor condition. Not that it matters too much. But the entire truck will generally rattle, doors will be trash etc

I really do not like driving llvs. But they do still work with constant maintenance.

One pops up every other week on govdeals or other government option sites, and they usually go for around 3k. I'm not sure why anyone would want one except for the novelty value of a RHD RWD 4 banger Box that breaks down all the fucking time.

why does it have to be so fucking ugly

>next gen mail trucks will be electric
>now it won't be possible to overtake the bastards when they start to move again after being on the curb
damn

Too many LLVs to replace them all

I could see this becoming a thing in 2 or 3 major cities, though.

Can confirm i used to wok on them
Carriers beat the shit out of them then bring in for work/maintain
Alignments are always out of wack.
Most are on there 2nd/3rd engine-and believe me they run them to death- we would advise replacement after low compression test or massive oil leaks they would just say throw in thicker oil we can get another 10k out of it
undercarrige has about an inch of that road&oil build up
If you really want one go for the later models 89+ they got rid of 2.4 iron puke for the 2.2 which had little more pep in it

>purchase LLV
>start dealing drugs
>deliver said drugs directly to mailbox in LLV
>people just think you're the mailman
how's that for a get rich quick scheme

If I had a big chunk of land I'd buy a bunch for cheap and rally or play bumper cars with them.

There's not many left here. They've basically all been replaced by different sized Transits.

You couldn't drive it with USPS livery on it, and a LLV without the livery will look shady as fuck unless you put your own on it

>Carriers beat the shit out of them then bring in for work/maintain
Yeah, the mailman at my old job always drove around like a maniac. One day when it was raining he did an e-brake drift in the lot.

The best part of having a driving job. I'd even hit the toe-gays if there were any near me.

>not my car, not my problem

also the fiero

>ugly

Nope. If they could be liquidated they would have been done away with long ago. USPS can't get anything out of them, so there's less incentive to replace them. Nicking one is probably going to be a federal offense since it's breaching the contract between USPS and grumman.

>tfw rural carriers still have old jeeps sitting around
Hopefully the grummans will lurk another 50 years.