Convince me to not buy a new Toyota 86

Convince me to not buy a new Toyota 86.
I want one, but I also know the frugal decision would be to buy another used Corolla

You only love one brother. If you buy that Corolla you'll regret not getting the 86. If it is within yout means to do it, do it.

You dont actually want to buy one, you just want a shitposting thread. Car's been out 5 years, if you actually wanted one you'd have plenty of documentation to look through.

>rough ride
>torque dip
>not as much power as it should have
>rear seats are a meme
>doesn't feel as fun as small light roadster should
>doesn't feel all that small actually
>can scrape
>premium gas
>no rear wiper
>wouldn't know it was rwd unless you were driving it like it's meant to be driven

But unless it just turns you off all around you'll start liking it more than you really should.

>cheap plastic interior
>no CD player
>shit engine

TINY inside. Like super tiny. SLOW. You won't be at a track every day to slide it around. In fact you will almost never be at a track. Shit ride for a DD. Expensive for what it is. Plenty of faster cars you can get. Even with a ton of mods it's still not fast. You pretty much need an engine swap.

>no CD player
Hello grandpa

Can someone who is 6 ft fit inside?

Mine has a CD player. Never used it tho. Just hooked up a walkman to aux so I could keep listening to my tapes. (srs)

I'm 6'4" and fit quite comfortably in the front. Granted I'm limber. In the back my head can knock the rear window and you'd have to put a little asian girl in the front or something for my legs to fit.

>prefers listening to lower quality music on a stupid phone aux.

Hello underage

The BRZ looks better and will probably keep it's value better because ricers prefer Subaru over Toyota

this
It's a good looking car, but it's seriously lacking in power. Interior is shit but that would be okay if it was actually quick.

no. please do buy one. drive it gingerly and complete all the maintenance and i'll buy it off you for a steal in 10 years and hoon the fuck out of it. can't have used cars without new cars.

Poor audio quality makes my music extra kvlt

I wound up in a BRZ Limited. I'm not a big interior guy and for sure it's no Kia Stinger, but I'd have to rate the interior in this trim overall as being about right for what the car is and its target audience. It's not something where you get in and you feel like you're in a old Geo Metro on top of the other things that don't put it in competition with something fancy.

>Poor audio quality
>Does not know of the marvel that is lossless and uncompressed formats

The fuck are you 50? Even audiophiles aren't this retarded. Fuck, some CDs have worse compression than fheir digital format counterparts.

The stock sound system in these is meh at best anyway, and the car is much noisier than average on top of that. It's like just good enough that you're glad it doesn't really suck worse.

Actually for a car that's been out for 5 years and apparently is making decent sales numbers, that's the kind of thing you'd hope they might improve as something potentially inexpensive that people notice day to day. Better choice of drivers should get rid of the spitty highs (actually tweeter should be in the A column anyway due to road noise) and wtf is up with that awful resonance in the bass?

>implying you can tell the difference

Friend of mine got a TDKA33 (one of those portable sound bar things) that I thought was kind of crappy for the longest time until he gave it to me to troubleshoot. Once I had it plugged in to my stuff instead of his phone I was honestly blown away at how good it sounded. Wound up getting one for myself.

I never said it was poor. I said it was lower quality (relative term); Inferior.

Because it is. CD format/compression delivers higher quality sound than your stupid fucking phone formatting you millennial tard

I love it when people put wider tires on these things... fucking hilarious.

as long as you're not going you feel like you're in a sports car. also its the same price as a new camaro...

Is your ride home a slog in stop and go traffic? Is it mostly straight aways and highway speeds? Will you race it on the weekends which means more money for a helmet and a set of wheels and tires.

Then don't get one.

Because you have taken the joy of owning an 86 and have aspirations for a fun sportscar and replaced it with the soul of a commuter car.

Grip is bad?

On the other hand, it does the cutest little 4 wheel drifts into parking lots after it disabuses you of the the notion that you need to slow down to go around corners.

>Convince me to not buy a new Toyota 86
It's not a Toyota.

>Not just loading your car's harddrive up with FLAC and playing the file directly.

Who the fuck wants to leave multiple discs lying around your car in the heat, and fumble around with them while driving.

>not having a 6-disc Pioneer cartridge player mounted in the trunk
Do you even snort coke?

>what is a USB drive

>front engine
>4 cylinders
>cheap interior
>200hp / 2750 lbs
>0-60 : 6.9
>in used market you can have a porsche for the price
It's a great choice do it !

0-60 is 6.2

>fuck miles fuck LBS fuck all this retard unity...

0-100 is 6.9 and it's a retard score

Seriously anybody who brings up benchracing numbers about this car is a brandfag or something. It's like
>he he he wow this feels neat I'm not driving a total shitbox
in terms of straight line power.

And then you have to make up excuses about tracks if you want to win the numbers game. It handles corners like your mom's tits before she got preggos with you, but it's not a fast car by any extent of the imagination.

used ones, even with sick mawds, are cheap as fuck. buy a used brz with a super charger and 30k miles before you buy a new one. if you want a reliable efficient car that's also fun, the 86 is your car. If you want a pedal mashing drag racer, probably not your car. If you commute on the highway a lot though, they kind of suck

This sort of yolo logic is why so many people spend their entire lives in debt.
>I want one, but I also know the frugal decision would be to buy another used Corolla
Only you know if you can actually afford a new car. If you can, that's great, get what you can afford; if you can't, get the corolla.

I really want an frs/86/brz and the only car I drive is a Prius so it would be balls fast by comparison. But every kid around here has one and I have a hard time getting over that because I'm a special snowflake.

> captcha: drive park

Fuck you I don't want an automatic.

>This sort of yolo logic is why so many people spend their entire lives in debt.

There's nothing wrong in getting nice things if you have the ressources.
People in debt don't have the ressources.

I owned one and still kinda regret selling it. They're super fun cars and great for commuting if you have stretches you can get somewhat fast on.

Get an FRS or pre-2017 BRZ. The torque dip is higher in the RPMs to get out of with the new GT86 and new BRZ.

How is the wind noise for this car?

Do you have to drive this at high RPM like the SI?

The noise is pretty loud. The car has very little insulation compared to other economy/comfort cars so that contributes a lot. I found it was becoming difficult to hold a conversation with the salesman at about 45mph

If you are asking Veeky Forums you shouldnt buy one.

Well older si greatly benefit from the vtec which is why people say you need to drive them in the high revs because you get such a huge fucking boost in power

The 86 is similar but not for the same reason. You want to try and stay out of that torque dip as much as possible because the car will barely accelerate in any way when you floor it. There's a video of a guy going up a mild incline and the car really struggles to accelerate through the entire torque dip and only regains torque after it

Don't listen to this guy, I have an aftermarket header, catback and loud summer tires and I can still hold conversations at all speeds.

Remember the 86 still has more torque in the dip than the Miata

But the MX-5 is subtantially lighter

It's still loud and rough compared to other cars. It's totally livable, but a test drive is in order to figure out what that really means.

For instance, coming from a 90s Impreza, the BRZ is so much more refined in its wind noise and its ride. But nobody ever winced when I hit a pothole in the Impreza. And you still have to raise your voice to have a conversation with somebody in the back on the highway.

>Its not fast / low hp.
This argument has been made and refuted a trillion times.

It's not really an argument you can refute because it depends on what your personal definition of fast is. In my opinion the engine is well-suited for the car, and if you want to sprint, you can sprint. If you want to have heckafun in the corners, you can have it in spades.

The common experience, which I share, is that it could really do with another 30-50HP to really feel like
>aw yeh
>das rite
not even highway pull queen power

Buy American OP

>not using front or rear usb
You dumb son

they're literally the same

>WTF tier front bumper facelift
>buttons tacked onto steering wheel
>display for G-forces and shit crammed into tach
>generic BRZ fender inserts instead of awesome boxer badge
Pre-facelift is the answer.

Oh wait, burgers didn't get the GT86, they got the FR-S.

Fair enough I suppose. Although like you said it really comes down to the personal preference of OP.

not connecting your phone to an external DAC to play back your 24 bit FLAC file downloads

Yeah. I mean at the end of the day it's like does OP want 4 doors or does OP want to have fun. If you can't have fun in a stock 86 you just plain don't like zippy little FR cars.

BRZ has a better interior unless you get the special edition 86.

If metric is so superior, why are wheel diameters measured in inches? Checkmate, atheists.

>slowish car is meant to slide around like a mad cunt so has econtires from the Prius
>put wide, grippy tires on car
>now it is just slow and can’t slide

I drive a 2017 BRZ, always fun to drive. Torque dip is a meme. buy it

>0-100 is 6.9
Did google tell you that? I routinely record just over 6 seconds since I put on proper tires. Absolute best was 5.89, but that may have been slightly downhill.

And slower, more expensive, and less reliable.

wikipedia.com

I don't know, though. I'm going to have to go for some test drives, but as much as I like the BRZ I can't shake the feeling that what I really want is something smaller and lighter, even if that means having only two seats.

The BRZ can be decidedly uninspiring if you're not romping on it a bit.

>practicality of a Vette
>fun of a Prius

bad bait.

CODE RED SPERG OUT

MODS MODS MODS!

who the fuck uses dm?

fidlar bro

buy the 86

While we are on topic
Convince me not to buy pic related put bigger turbo change injectors and get 200+hp and great MPG?

>What is a usb head unit.

The official performance numbers are a lot worse than the car actually is due to the wooden stock tires skewing the results. Also the main reason why the benchracing busriders of Veeky Forums hate the twins.

Bursting into flames

It's like the smallest car I've ever seen.

It's almost the exact same width and length as a typical Impreza, although much less high. Older econobox compact cars were smaller and lighter. It feels great once you get going, but tooling around and when you start to wonder where exactly the front and back end and how close you are on the side, it just feels bigger and more lumbering than it is. Tighter steering rack with less assist would be on my wish list of every little thing I could change about it.

Go stand next to an older Miata and you'll see that it's in a different class of small and light.

>A V6 Mustang is faster than your car

get a 2018 accord instead

This.

Bought the Camaro and never looked back.

Why are you here?, shouldn't you be shilling your shitbox PT Loser somewhere?

>200 bhp
>slow

>300 bhp with basic mods and a turbo
>bad

>implying you keep your cars stock anyway unless you're a boring grandad cunt and in that case that car isn't for you.

I have a friend with some sort of newish Acura of about the same power as my BRZ. Undoubtedly it's nicer inside, has more room, and is appropriate for his purposes.

But when I let him try the BRZ, it was like Takumi was in high school again. It's just a different kind of driving experience.

>v6 camaro 1ls v6 rs package
>toyota 86/subaru brz

I honestly can't decide senpai.

Buy an older year one for cheaper. It's virtually the same car but doesn't have the stupid front grill fangs that the thirteen year old designing it put on there.

What part of that guy saying "within your means," didn't you understand idiot?

Financing WITHIN your means is a smart move to build credit and especially to aid in buying a home. Stay on your bus faggot.

>Needs several thousands of dollars in mods just to be on pair with a Honda Odyssey in accelerations.

>It still is slower than a V6 Mustang.

Honestly, the only good thing about the Toyota 86 is the name, a Miata is the superior car in every way.

Get a V6 camaro/Ecoboost Mustang/V6 Mustang OP

Dumb frogposter as expected

Ah, another dumb post from dumb poster.

I don't think it's really in direct competition with a Miata. Otherwise it would have 2 seats and be smaller and lighter. It's clearly positioned toward a slightly different market segment, and it's good to have options.

I have yet to decide if it's the right compromise, or if I'd really rather just take the plunge into a Miata, or whether fuck it gimme summadat V8, or just go back to normieland in an 80% as fun utilitymobile.

I justified an STI over a BRZ because I have to drive in snow.

Pretty reasonable. This winter is going to help me decide how much I like RWD for the sake of it being RWD. Last winter was just sort of easing my way in to it. Became pleasantly surprised at how it takes things in stride without drama, even if that means being ready to counter-steer.

This. Miata and 86 are both slow as fuck, but a convertible top counts for a lot

People will tell you that your Miata is cute. In one of the cheaper mustangs, one day you'll pull up to someone who spent twice what you did on their (much) faster Shelby. Choose your path.