Budget Drifting

For someone not looking to compete - just wants to have fun doing hektik skids and drifts on the absolute cheap - is there a better choice than a 2WD ranger?

Only other cheap platform without a drift tax of any kind I can think of is the Fiero, but they don't usually run as cheap as a Ranger or Mazda B series.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGdahw6OWus&t=105s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fucking kiddos watch one YouTube vid and it's all about MUH EPIC DRIFTAN
No you moron. They're beyond gutless. Ask me, I own one. You can squeal the back tires on hard cornering but that's about it.

>"I wanna get a truck for drifting" meme

Stop this. Just because they're RWD doesn't mean they can fucking drift.

3rd gen camaro

A disproportionate amount of weight is distributed over the front wheels, leaving the bed light. It is easier for the rear wheels to slip, allowing oversteer, or as op wants, drifting.

SN95 Mustang GT
E36 Bimmers
NB Miata

All hilariously cheap, no dorifto tax.

Oversteer and drifiting are only tangentially related.

Do any of the engine options besides the 350 have any power to them? Pretty hard to find here.

I really don't want to drift with any control, I just want to be able to throw some buddies in the vehicle and fishtail or get a little sideways. Not looking to set new times on the touge or anything like and seem to be implying.

The E36 has a huge drift tax in my area but the E46 is relatively unmolested so far, I might take a look at them.

Then I'm definitely going to tell you not to get one because your retarded ass will crash trying to show off and all of you will be fucked because rangers are tin cans.

>I just want to be able to throw some buddies in the vehicle and fishtail or get a little sideways
You know what OP? Just buy whatever you want and weld the diff. Have fun.

>I really don't want to drift with any control, I just want to be able to throw some buddies in the vehicle and fishtail or get a little sideways.

So you literally don't want to drift. You just wanna consistently oversteer and spin out.

Yeah that also sounds like a reasonable idea. I already have a FWD DD, I'm just looking for the absolute cheapest option since my grand prix understeers hard even on wet pavement. I could always use the grand prix for normal driving and navigating parking lots, and use whatever the hell with a welded diff for fun.

>Tfw I was being sarcastic

Jesus Christ dude, you're gonna fucking roll your truck and kill your hick buddies.

Make sure you buy a dashcam and record your epic drifts

I wouldn't put a welded diff in a truck, no. Sounds like a good way to die.

Rangers are too gutless and expensive. S10 is a far better choice and it's possible to V8 swap them for cheap.

Trucks are fine for drifting. Better than paying $10k for some "drift missile" project held together with drift stitches.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGdahw6OWus&t=105s

Yeah I've heard the 3.0 in the ranger is terrible.

Are you knowledgeable on the S10's? I'm wondering if there are any remarkable differences in the S10 and Sonoma or if it's strictly a re-badge. Also, do the 4.3 litres have any guts, or do you need to look at an LS/350 swap for power?

I would only drift in a truck if it were winter and the roads were icy. It seems like it would be shit for the leaf springs.
Might as well just get a shitbox with modern suspension and learn to flick it.

>E36
>No drift tax

Not the same user but there aren't really any drivetrain differences, no. The Sonoma might weigh more for having more options but they're functionally the same truck.

I don't know much about them though, besides some have been known to have electrical faults.

Gotcha, so the Sonoma is typical GMC rebadge, just a "nicer" interior or what have you... but I guess interior is a moot point in a 90's compact fleet truck.

There's a 5 speed sonoma at a dealership near me, I might take a look.
My only gripe is that the s10 fanbase and forums seems to be noticeably less intelligent than the ranger forums, might have to figure out a lot of things on my own or through the Chilton's manual.

I've only had 4.3 Blazers and Jimmies. They weren't quite powerful enough to drift on dry pavement but would 4x4 drift on gravel and snow all day. I'm sure a S10 or Sonoma truck would have no issues keeping the tires lit considering it weighs less and has no weight over the rear. The 4.3 vortec has quite a bit of balls.

Compared to pretty much every other car that is actually suitable for drifting, they're very cheap

This is mostly true - The 3.0 l base engine in the Ranger is a dog. the 2.3 and 2.6's can barely get the car rolling under their own power. The 4.0 OHV later SOHC is not so bad. Fuel economy sucks but it puts out just over 200HP. It was used in the 05+ Mustangs.

A car engine in a truck is generally something you don't want especially if you plan on drifting it.

It's honestly more like a truck engine was put into a car. That isn't to say the ranger is necessarily better than Chevy's competition in this regard, just saying the 4 litres are happy to get the truck going.

The only options you might really want in a truck like that don't matter much in the case of you not drifting it. Digital HVAC, nicer stereo, power locks & windows, leather seats (not even sure that was an option desu) auto trans. Just. Shit like that. Doesn't matter much if you're drifting it so just get what you can that's mechanically fine

The fanbase isn't necessarily less intelligent you just have to know where to look. If you look around on some of the other ones (tahoeyukonforums comes to mind) they may be able to point you to the right place.

Yup exactly, none of that shit matters to me. I still use cassettes anyway. As long as it's a manual and can the ass-end can get loose, I don't really care!

Thanks for your responses user

>Gets shit on for his dangerous idea
>Gets told he's a hick and make a dash cam video of his death
>Still thanks people

What a jolly guy

S10s came with 4cyl too and you can swap a V8 in a ranger also you stupid fucking nigger

Get literally any car. If its FWD put some McDonalds trays under the back tires and lock the ebrake. Skids ensue

The good S10's had 4.3's which would rip a ranger in half with their might. Even the 4 liter in the ranger is pathetic. Don't take a car engine to a truck fight.

Yep, you really are a stupid nigger. The performance of the 4.0 and 4.3 are virtually identical.

>4.0 SOHC
210 hp (157 kW) and 254 lb·ft (344 N·m)
>4.3 Vortec
190 hp (140 kW) at 4,400 rpm 250 lb·ft (339 N·m) at 2,800 rpm

Unironically asking what the problem is with the Ranger's 4.0. It doesn't seem bad on paper.

Panther/B-body is the way to go. Just make sure you find one with lsd or else you'll just do a bunch of lane one wheel peels

Are the panthers too heavy to control or can you actually do some semblance o's drifting with them?