Are used Volvo’s reliable?

Are used Volvo’s reliable?

yeah

What makes them such good shitboxes?

New ones aren't even reliable...

Probably more reliable than other 30 year old cars but that shit is still a 30 year old car.

Do new ones suck?

Just like any other old car, if they've been cared for they will be very reliable. The cars don't really give a fuck if stuff is broken on them, the engine and tranny will go 300k with bare minimum service. It takes a lot to kill the engines, which is why most people drive them in to the ground and ignore everything else. Expect a bunch of non-engine stuff like suspension and electrical that don't really affect driveability breaking. When stuff breaks (and it will) it is usually simple to diag and repair, but you will get gouged for parts compared to an old american or japanese car. Gas mileage is 25 max if you get it running good and don't have a lead foot

For the older ones at least: dead simple engineering (including non-interference engines so they won't eat themselves if something fucks up big time), no-frills design inside and out, loads of space to carry people and cargo, and a heater you can use to cook eggs on your dashboard.

David Bello, RobertDIY, Tyler's Neighborhood Garage, Luca Car Mods and probably some others are good YouTube resources. For the most part repairs are the same for all rear wheel drive volvos

According to some people I know Volvo's lost their Volvo-ness when the 940 went away in '98.

thoughts on s70 2.0T
are the turbo models reliable at all?

The old ones, yes

The Ford-era Volvos are universally dogshit. I owned a 2006 S50 T5 and it was a money pit.

The 850 was still a solid workhorse, but then Ford got involved.

Yes. Volvo's are also topcomfy.

comfiest pic of all time

>Automatic gearbox

I don't trust them and never will.

Anything old with things spinning will eventually break, But yeah if it had some kind of maintenance it's reliable.

AW71 is solid, get with the times grandpa

that's actually pretty clever if you think about it, sacrifice one seat for a cheap, extremely reliable and brutally effective heating system.

The newer models had drivetrains built in China, and the 2017 S60s are assembled in China.
Make of that what you want.

I've owned 2 240s, one a 1989 auto sedan that was built in Sweden, the other a 1987 manual turbo wagon built in a North American plant. Both cars had over 450k km on them before I sold them, the engines are damn near indestructible, and I didn't treat them nicely. I beat the shit out of both cars, and never managed to break any of the driving components. Aside from that, everything on the wagon started to fall apart, and almost anything electrical was guaranteed to not work. The sedan never had an issue of any kind.

As far as reliability is concerned, they're the best. I'm not sure why the wagon was so shitty excluding the powertrain.

>beefed up brother of a beefed up version of a beefed up transmission used in postal jeeps with 110HP

Aisan Warner / Borg Warner is a best

(Citation needed)

>I'm not sure why the wagon was so shitty excluding the powertrain.

Volvos older than 1988 have biodegradable wiring harnesses.

>brutally effective heating system.
Nah nigga, that's a steam boiler.
It has the benefit of also providing good heat.

>steam boiler.

It's not fucken clever at all in a car, with an internal combustion engine, which produces a lot of heat as a by product of simply running. If the heater wasn't effective enough, and it should be, it'd be more "clever" to line the interior with insulation. Or if that wasn't enough move the entire radiator onto the passenger seat - that would be clever!

So no, it's not clever, it is the antithesis of clever, it's fucking stupid and ridiculous.
But it's also pretty damn bitchin.....

They are about average