Where did it all go wrong?

Where did it all go wrong?

At least they didn't go full retard like Ford and try stuffing a twin turbo alfa romeo V6 in it gimping it just to meet some shitty regulations.

Never in a million years would i thought id be taking Luigi's side over the very car that was supposed to give Luigi the middle finger.

Just like every other refresh (308->328, Testarossa -> 512TR, 360 -> 430, etc.) it performs better but looks worse. Ferrari in house design is obviously nowhere near the same level as Pininfarina, and pretty much every good part of the 488 design is just carryover from the Pininfarina designed 458.

>looks worse

Speak for yourself.

What's wrong with it? I'd take it anyday over a Huracán or even the new 720S

imo it looks great from the side and rear, doubly so as the spyder. Where it falls apart is the front. Ferrari really needs to do something about their pig disgusting headlights they've been putting on everything lately, it just looks cheap and bland.

It objectively looks worse.

And of course I forgot my fucking picture like always.

Also the gaping maw on the bottom looks a little dull imo too. This aftermarket splitter isn't perfect either, but it looks a lot better imo than how it comes stock.

the 488 is "classier" , the Huracan is more fun tho.

>Huracan is more fun tho

Implying the Ferrari 1488 isn't a great car

What do you guys think of the challenge front bumper?

Looks like a C7, which is not a compliment.

You could always make the ugly parts black

>just to meet some shitty regulations.

That's because the GT was built to be a racecar, with a road car that came after. Whereas Ferrari's are road cars that get race car variants afterward

The front intakes are just a blatant Gallardo ripoff

That's approaching huayra-tier gaping maw levels though

No it doesn't and I can prove it to you.

They actually fixed things design-wise from the 458 like getting rid of the gap around the headlights and that large plastic diffuser in the front that looks like a mustache like the guy on the pizza guy. On the rear, the tailight clusters were flow into the body of the car more unlike the 458 where they weirdly protrude out for some reason. They also went from a ridiculous 3-tip exhaust arranged in a line to a more conventional and pleasing dual-tip. The 488 is what the 458 should've looked like from the beginning. Also the engineering of the 488 is better and it's objectively faster than the tired old 458.

The 488 is just all-around the superior car.

I really want to see what this car would look like without the ANGERY corvette headlights.

I don't know too much about cars but that's just the feeling I got driving them. I used to work in a luxury car rental agency as a driver. The Huracans felt louder and more agressive while the 488s seemed "smoother" and chiller, not to say silent, we're still talking about supercars.

Forgot pic, somewhere not far from Matterhorn.

DUDE YOU KNOW STANCE

It's hard to tell how big this thing is until you see it on the road up against normie cars.

It's a great design, but it's just stretched out too big.

>The Huracans felt louder and more agressive while the 488s seemed "smoother" and chiller, not to say silent

I noticed the same thing. It's almost as if the Ferrari's been domesticated for the casual richfag market.

>domesticated for the casual richfag market.
that's exactly right. and it's true for many high end sports cars

When Enzo died

Yeah, many of our clients knew their sportcars pretty well, but there were plenty of those who only knew as far as "it's a fancy supercar".

"fixing" two of the most ingenious design elements of the 458 by adding more useless fins everywhere

Lamborghinis feel more "raw" because they are put together with 3m tape and wood screws while Ferraris are properly constructed.

The Huracan is more reliable than anything Ferrari has ever made.

Good joke my dude.

I honestly think the 488 is one of the most beautiful Ferrari's ever designed. Maybe in 20 years when I'm rich (which won't actually come to be), I'll be able to pick one up for a dime when its value is at the bottom of its depreciation/appreciation curve and also because of lolturbo.

About 60 years ago

>ingenious design elements
The winglet was just a gimmick that didn't work they way it was marketed. That's why they got rid of it on the Speciale and Challenge Evo. Everything else was just a deliberate (and god-awful) aesthetic choice. Furthermore, Donato Coco who designed it the 458 was released from his position at Ferrari after that debacle.

>a glorified Golf better than anything Ferrari
No

I like the gap around the headlights, and think it's a nice styling touch.

For me the worst part besides the size of it is the interior. It just looks cheap for a "supercar," especially with a near-lacking center console. I get they're going for a minimalist interior, but that doesn't make any sense against an exterior that's anything but minimalist.

Nonsense

It's a small car, and it's supposed to be simple and driving focused. Ferrari hasn't fallen for the "more is better" trap, they know their market and continue to do what they know how to do best, which is what put them where they are. It definitely doesn't feel cheap, not sure what part looks cheap to you unless it's just "not enough buttons and stainless trim."

Look at the full auto button. Look at how quiet and comfy it is at everyday speeds. It's all about the casual richfags, plain and simple.

There was never a time where the street cars weren't designed for casual richfags, sorry to burst your bubble.

When did it ever go right?

do the street 488s still have a front trunk?

Nigga it's a car designed for the road. Fucking bench racers

When they decided to put in a tarbo

Yes they do.

Up until the 360 Modena came out, they had heavy clutches, no power steering, and a comparably small steering wheel paired with said lack of power steering. And Ferrari didn't give a fuck. They built their street cars to be like their race cars, and their race cars required effort to drive.

The only one I knew of that had a light clutch was the Testarossa, and that's because Enzo wanted women to be able to drive it (as best as they can with a stick shift and no power steering anyway).

And then they started adding in full auto buttons, removed the floor clutch, and added power steering. Then suddenly their sales exploded to where they had to cap production to 7,000 cars per year (after production went over 10,000 cars per year for a couple of years) to try to prevent the brand from cheapening. And lo and behold celebs, basketball players, housewives, and even spoiled teenage retarded girls could suddenly manage to drive a Ferrari without having to exert themselves or even have any real driving skill.

This thing with catering to the casual richfag is modern, and Enzo's probably rolling in his grave for it.

If you weren't a minimum wage bus pass extraordinaire you'd know it actually hasn't gone wrong at all. Most people love the 488, Ferrari has basically solved the turbo problem. Almost no turbo lag, and doesn't sound like complete shit.

The only problem is they stopped offering manuals but these days people only want the absolute fastest track performance which is going to be dual clutch.

Within 5 years probably every sports car built will either have an ecoboost clone engine or be a hybrid (or both).

And it's not good for the cars in terms of longevity because the brightest bulb burns out the quickest, and having 2.8 liter Mclaren engines laying down 600+ HP means the odo will take shit for miles.

In the '80s there were plenty of cars being sold that had no powersteering and they drove fine.

Enzo has been catering to casuals since the '60s at least even if it meant softening the suspension and having a nicer interior on his racing sportscars like the 250 GTE and 330 GT 2+2 which were large sales successes. During the '70s, he was more committed to having dedicated roadcars built from the ground up with tractable engines that weren't derived from the racecars.

And Ferrari snobs HATE those cars to where they're the only cheap Ferraris from the 1960's while everything else from that era ranges from half a mil all the way up to tens of millions.

And for the record Enzo thought all people who bought his road cars were dog shit on his shoes. He didn't sign autographs for them, didn't hang out with them, or anything. They were nothing but a means to funding his race team. And cars that have no race use are the most worthless ones from each era (such as the 330GT 2+2, 412, and Mondial).

Basically all the value on Enzo-era Ferraris is on the cars that had the ability to be race-used or were outright race-used, with the only exception being the Ferris Bueller car.

The car that won Le Mans?

Newfag here, whats the deal with the 488 gtb?
Was it not a worthy succesor of the 458 italia?

Retarded boyracers are mad that its not naturally aspirated

>He didn't sign autographs for them
This is why most Ferrari owners eventually sell.
What's the use in owning a fine vehicle if the withered skeleton who founded the company won't sign an autograph for them?
IT RUINS THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE DAMMIT.

Yep. It centers around some belief that Enzo Ferrari haed turbocharged engines and wanted naturally-apirated engines only.

He was still a dick, and if he were alive today and find himself suddenly surrounded by the Kardashians, basketball players, middle east Achmeds, and all others who can't drive a stick but love modern Ferraris, he's probably whip his dick out and piss on all of them

>Muh manual
>Muh racecar

Fuck off american shitter no one gives a fuck about your opinion thats why there will be less and less manual in the future

Deflect from the fact that the biggest selling feature is that full automatic button all you want.

It is what it is, and it's why Ferraris sell so well now.

The only people that still want manual cars are retarded american boyracers and car journalists

>implying 328 348 355 and so on didnt sell well despite being manual

Manuals are so fucking hard to drive you are a real car enthusiast if you can work the stick

>Manuals are so fucking hard to drive
You have to be 18 to post here.

I was being sarcastic you fucking idiot

It looks amazing. One of my favorite modern car designs. It's refined and elegant.

>Manuals are so fucking hard to drive

Really? I mean REALLY? Every fucking ten-year-old fucking with his dad's work truck on their acreage in the south knows how to drive one.

That'a shit excuse for a culture warped by the desire for instant gratification and expecting to be pandered to being catered to on their terms so they don't have to try and learn.

But let people get soft with the arrogance of convenient pandering. That makes my car that much more theft-proof.

So was I, moron.

How can one man be this wrong?

If that were true, the f40 wouldn't be turbod

No you weren't and now go start a petition to save the manuals

Autos are quicker now

>petition to save manuels
I already live in California

the 458 is where the downtrend started

thank god i bought an older model

>Enzo's probably rolling in his grave for it.
Enzo didn't give a shit about anything but his racing team, he wouldn't give a fuck

Everything is 100% fact. Google it, cuck.

The onus is on you to prove me wrong.

>Enzo Ferrari haed turbocharged engines
But that's wrong, dummy.

Irrelevant. How many people take their sports cars to the track? Maybe 1%?

They're sold en masse because of that "auto" button, and you know it.

They are also super comfy to drive now with all the plush leather and electronic stability crap.

Can you teach me to drive stick? You must be some sort of racecar driver since you can do what everyone outside of the us can do

Hard to argue against auto upping their sales figures.
No way in hell they'd sell that many if they only came in manual.
"Too many pedals!"

>suddenly surrounded by the Kardashians, basketball players, middle east Achmeds
Instead of Ingrid Bergman and Dutch Princes? Literally nothing has changed, and those cars were coach built instead of just throwaway Californias that you see modern celebs driving. Read up on Ferrari history before proclaiming "everything has been made casual!" People have been saying that since the 1950s, and as you know that's how the brand operates, sell street cars to fund racing. It was NEVER a super special club of expert drivers and there were always easy to drive GTs. 308s, Testarossas, etc. were cramped and hard to drive because that's all they had to work with.

the only reason this engine is turbocharged is so ferrari can do real-world testing for their F1 program, same reason they have a hybrid flagship with a track program. they got beat to the turbo punch by Mercedes' commercial truck engineers and want to get to that same level

tbqh i agree with you, i think it definitely looks better than the 458
though i don't really like ferarris

>ferrari beat by literally diesel cargo commercial truggs
>by the company that builds SMART fortwos and base model A class hatchbacks and CLAs

Manuals being hard to drive is a Yuropoor thing. Some countries over there literally have different licenses for driving autos and manuals.

i don't know what you're trying to say. are you saying that ferrari should be ashamed that they were out-engineered by a company that has been implementing turbochargers in its cars since literally the first production turbodiesel car in the 300D? are you trying to say that MB could spend more because they have a whole slew of cash cows from their C-class to the tarted up G65? are you trying to say that they didn't already have a super capable driver in Hamilton (though I'd argue he isn't the best in the field, but he does make good use of his equipment) so it was just a matter of making a supercrew of their 284,000 employees and pouring all of those decades of turbocharging and race car experience into one vehicle (x2) and put a capable driver behind the wheel to make it a match made in heaven?

oh, i'm sure you're not saying that anyone thought ferrari had a chance, you couldn't be that stupid.

because of jewish rule bending

>4wd
>understeering mess
kek

lol what the fuck
everyone in europe drives a manual, the only people that find it hard are amerilards. we have separate manual and auto licenses so amerishits don't come over here with their burgermatic licenses and wreck every pristine alfa on our roads.

>fuckhueg rising front lights
>elegant
if only they fixed that shitty front end

which model?

Turbos were the result of jewish rule bending also

The matchbox one, most likely, on this board.

For me the worst part besides the size of it is the interior. It just looks cheap for a "supercar," especially with a near-lacking center console. I get they're going for a minimalist interior, but that doesn't make any sense against an exterior that's anything but minimalist.

I'm a big fan of the Berlinetta, I think it looks cool. Of course I think front-engined V12 Ferraris are the apex of the company, so I may be biased.

Lucky for the street car owners. The challenge front trunk is full of ducting and radiator housings

i think the portofino looks good. as does the new gtc4

You do realize the Challenge cars don't even have titles and are 100% track only, correct? Also there's just a bunch of empty space in the front of the Challenge cars, it's not full of anything, there's just no storage compartment because that would be retarded.

>V12
I like the power, but always felt mid-engine stability was a must-have.
Guess if I want the 12, I'm stuck getting a '96 F512, for now.

it doesn't look that way to me.