Wearing hearing protection while driving?

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

Any /o/utists here do this? I'm in TX and was going to start as my diesel truck is incredibly loud on the highway. I know it's done on garbage trucks and that's sort of the db level this truck puts out.

What's the laws in your state/country?

All urls found in this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-EG0-gqUt8
iluvmen
iluvmen

@SomethingNew
i drive a straight piped ls1 and hearing protection is for girls.

idontknow
idontknow

@iluvmen
right into the cabin at that

Techpill
Techpill

@iluvmen
lmao you're a pussy for not wanting to go deaf
yeah it's no big deal either but I commute now and 65/70 in a straight piped 1st gen with 4.10 gears isn't pleasant.

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@Techpill
you trying to say you want to listen to what young people try to tell you when you are old?

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

@SomethingNew
I do on long trips. If I drive my Miata for 2+ hours without earplugs in, my ears will be ringing when I stop for gas. It's not even that loud in terms of exhaust, but the wind/road noise is just loud enough that on a long enough timeline it might damage my hearing.

BinaryMan
BinaryMan

@VisualMaster
always wondered this about convertibles, the wind noise is why motorcycle riders wear hearing protection.

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

@BinaryMan
It's bad even with the top up.

Worse than the noise factor, the sun fucks my shit up if I drop the top. I look like a fucking 25 year old LARPing as a baby boomer because I wear a bucket hat, bigass aviator shades, and lots of sunscreen. If I forego any of those items, my face is red as fuck after a drive.

Playboyize
Playboyize

Tell me again why straight piping your daily is a good idea?

TechHater
TechHater

@BinaryMan
Depends on speed - upto maybe 100km/h (62mph) you are quite fine in a miata for hours, at least i drove one few times for 5 hours drives with only stopping for a gas refill once.
Above that it will get annoying or even unpleasant after some time - I usually just drive it a bit slower on longer trips- more pleasant.

Poker_Star
Poker_Star

@Playboyize
my cummins isn't even straight piped. it's got a 4" diamond eye with the muffler. it was straight piped before and wasn't really driveable even around town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-EG0-gqUt8

4.10 gears is what makes it a bitch as it's probably pulling 2800-3000rpm which is loud as fuck on a 6BT.

WebTool
WebTool

I use earplugs on longer trips in my m3 with meme-exhaust, gotta protect that hearing. According to the papers it's approved with 96dB @ 5950rpm, so it's kinda loud at 8k+

DeathDog
DeathDog

@WebTool
Also, I guess it's legal as long it doesn't distract you. Never had any problems hearing sirens etc myself.

happy_sad
happy_sad

@WebTool
@Poker_Star
Why don't you faggots just put on a quieter exhaust system?

WebTool
WebTool

@happy_sad
J...just make compression ignition quieter
t. retard

even with the stock exhaust it's loud as fuck. they don't make 25 y/o exhaust hits for it anyway.

Nojokur
Nojokur

@SomethingNew
Use disposable foam ear plugs
Hearing loss can happen via cumulative damage over years, no point ruining your hearing when you can do something about it.

WebTool
WebTool

I use custom made ear plugs, because disposable ones are trash

ProActiv® Customized Professional Drive

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

@happy_sad
Original was fucked when I bought it, got the loud shitcan for free. Gonna Fix it Soon™ though.

StonedTime
StonedTime

@GoogleCat
Step 1: Remove airbags
Step 2: Install five-point harnesses
Step 3: Start wearing a helmet
Step 4: No more sunburn or stupid hat

whereismyname
whereismyname

I'm legitimately surprised more people here don't use earplugs/muffs. Being adverse to loud noises is usually one of the signs of the tism.

Lunatick
Lunatick

@WebTool
Diesels aren't deafening though

Techpill
Techpill

@SomethingNew
If your car is so loud that you need hearing protection to be driving it, you need a muffler.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page