/ovg/ - Garry's Mod isn't a good racing game edition

Welcome to Veeky Forums Vidya General, the last safe place to discuss racing vidya and vidya including cars without blatant fanboyism, moderation, intimidation, and shilling*!

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have. FUCKING READ IT FOR FUCKS SAKES unless you're a dumb American in which case you're not gonna read it, instead you're gonna go on Mumble and ask questions that are already answered there and everyone's gonna think you're a fucking moron, but you don't care, you're gonna post your dumb question in the thread and because this community is full of full blown, braindead morons, you're gonna get spoonfed and never learn anything and everyone will hate you:
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Discord link:
>discord.gg/eSPf4FB

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing GT Sport, Forza 7 and other games on the Weekends! Check out our Google doc for more info.
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc/edit#gid=536213780

*Conditions may apply

Other urls found in this thread:

tdu.to/Files/AppendixB_YarraTrams_Tram_Track_Design_SpecificationV1-4.pdf
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter
youtube.com/watch?v=-NbduA_aLT0
youtube.com/watch?v=vVa5a49qtYc
youtube.com/watch?v=cTfiExKPugA
vocaroo.com/i/s0jDtRKayQfl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

sick ride senpai

>so why can't you just widen the turn?
this is an old project, and i humored stuff like that. the short answer is that i can, but it's a "city planning" issue and affects the roadwork of the rest of the map.

the long answer is that I got tired of widening curves and re-fitting stuff around it. it's just more reasonable to ask how wide a curve should be and to fit stuff around it in the first place. And it's more natural, too -- towns build around road and rail ways, not the other way around. It is incredibly awkward to try to build around constantly re-adjusted assets, there's no reference for that sort of work in real life.

>there's no reference for that sort of work in real life
tdu.to/Files/AppendixB_YarraTrams_Tram_Track_Design_SpecificationV1-4.pdf
There are specifications and regulations for everything and they're usually one google search away.

>entire discussion was about the jeep on a rally track
>somehow switches to trolly rails
hmmm

nice funny fake discord link

Name a better game

/ovg/ series when?

>tdu.to/Files/AppendixB_YarraTrams_Tram_Track_Design_SpecificationV1-4.pdf
that would have been useful hundreds of years ago, more useful than constantly making fun of me

just kidding it doesnt tell me what people actually want to drive on or find fun

I don't know what to to because I don't know what fuckers want, and whenever i ask, i get made fun of

nth for annoncement:

There will be assetto corsa caterham race series, starting from 26/11. I'll make the doc soon, skins are allowed, small tracks, casual fun.

I just need to decide on which hour of sunday should i place it. Was 20:00 UTC alright?

Sounds good senpai

This is garbage. Just stop fucking trying.

Can we tone it down with this whole thing?
Yes? No?

If you take a peek at your calendar, it says the year is 2017. Now, webm support was added on Veeky Forums over 3 years ago. You should try it.

I SMELL A HOT NEW MEME

/ovg/ Half-Life 2 series when?

Are you retarded

>I don't know what fuckers want
I want Snake Pass from Whiplash in rFactor not source engine dune buggy skyroads bullshit.

>320x256

I can't

We can't help if not even you know what you want.

That does it. Someone needs to kill this fucker.

>not even you know what you want.
I know what I want. I want to know what is a smooth enough banking, what is a gentle enough grade, and generally how hard I can make a course before it becomes unacceptable

Couple of pointers:
Make webms instead of shitty gifs gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter
Make stuff for rFactor or AC because those are the games "fuckers" play
And just fucking do what you want

inb4 "flat, no turns" because ive implemented that and it has been not good enough. It was both too hard, and too boring.

If you are making them for a game with nuanced and challenging physics, a more difficult track is not only acceptable, but preferred.

i prefer virtual dub because im a old ass nigga in my heart

>Make stuff for rFactor or AC
what tool it use then

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHahahahAHahahahahAHAHahahahHAhaHAHAHAHAHAH

ive litereally protyped silence and it was deemed "too hard" to play on

Whatever tool you use just stop making shitty resolution shitty framerate shitty gifs. Just. Fucking. Stop. Unless you get your kicks from being made fun of.
Anything that can export to FBX + 3DSimEd is a place to start.

Blender and 3dsimed
also BeamNG is a game with a community that would very much appreciate your style of tracks, though making your slopes smooth is a priority.

what retards are you making a track for that think driving is too hard? no track is too hard to drive theyre just terrible at video games. just give up on pleasing them and make whatever the fuck you want and tell them to eat shit and deal with it.

>ive litereally protyped silence and it was deemed "too hard" to play on

Well no shit dude, it's a 90 degree banked oval in the first half and a NEGATIVE 90 degree banking on the second half, real cars don't magnetically stick to the track, and that sure as fuck wouldn't work in Source.

also you may have asked people who are bad at racing games

You're making and probably testing tracks in gmod which is only known for being the gayest furry game. Perhaps if you made tracks for games played by people who actually know what the fuck they're doing maybe you'll get a different sort of feedback.

Wonder if it's possible in rF or AC to "design" a car with such a ludicrous amount of downforce it sticks to the roof with some speed.

well, its a video game, so magic can happen

the track can stick to you to it, even upside-down

and it's still too hard

do NOT talk about f zero here

youtube.com/watch?v=-NbduA_aLT0

He sounds like he talking about Silence from F-Zero X which has a turn banked so the cars travel on the outside, and if you go too fast the inertia just flings you "upwards" off the track. It's physically impossible in anything other than an F-Zero machine and making it work in Source with Gmod would require fitting the cars with magnetized props and lining that corner with panels before the start of the race. It could probably be done with the boats, but their self-righting will probably tear them off the track.

Current Indycars can generate more than their weight in downforce at 100mph

youtube.com/watch?v=vVa5a49qtYc

what if finland were in space

youtube.com/watch?v=cTfiExKPugA

too hard how exactly? Like the cars get slow because of the magnetism and it's dull or people you are asking the opinions of are bad at video games and won't give you honest criticism?

>Like the cars get slow because of the magnetism and it's dull or people you are asking the opinions of are bad at video games and won't give you honest criticism?
like they said their gmod cars would lift off, not maintain traction, or otherwise be undriveable under these basically magic nograv-but-grav-force-in-the-correct-direction triggers.

>be nintendo
>hire sega to make your racing game
>they put the guy who was in charge of Daytona USA on the project
>it's so good Miyamoto completely gives up trying to top it

how based can one game be?

>would require fitting the cars with magnetized props and lining that corner with panels before the start of the race.
ive literally nigger rigged it with physics triggers in and youre already saying its impossible

that only means a different game engine is necessary.

I bet the FR17 in BeamNG could get enough downforce to stick to that turn, it's adjustable to insane values.

yeah but how well does that work? Have you tried actually making the turn before giving up?

You're too stupid to make a webm I'm sure they're criticizing you just to insult your stupidity at this point, and you're too dumb to realize it.

yeah I know, but does it work with pretend race cars?

Okay, that's the Death Race track, where's your prototype of Silence?

incredibly basic hammer usage

@18205048
incredibly basic ffmpeg usage

ok you got me there, i didnt LITERALLY do silence because the death race style one was met with such violence

i aint finna install things i use so rarely

i don't see why anyone would think that's difficult unless they were thinking of the tediously slow speed of the boat.

@18205060
You're at 4 shitty gifs in 50 minutes it's worth it.

ok its not violence if its text, man the fuck up and just do it, fuck what anyone else thinks.

i was told to use the boat as a test vehicle because it has literally no suspension and is quite slow -- if a lap in the airboat is unfun, the track itself is not fun enough. the scout car is the second line of testing -- that makes sure a four wheeled vehicle can complete the track, but if its no fun in the scout car, it wont be fun for a pleb who just spawns shit off the workshop, and will only be more fun for people who build real cars that are actually good

people have yelled at me irl about it and "I wanna be a game dev!" friends irl get real uppity when i recommend source for their various platforming and walking sim experience games

yes but both those vehicles are incredibly slow and boring to begin with, you won't make an exciting track testing it with stuff that doesn't make it fun.

>yes but both those vehicles are incredibly slow and boring to begin with,
i think thats the point -- it a tracc is not fun with a shit vehicle, it probably is not fun at all

and honestly, i dont like the hl2 cars, but they have limits to push. they are fun if you keep hammering the "spin the wheels without regard for traction" button

>skins are allowed
Booking is retarded, especially for the turnout this will get.

People get """""violent""""" because you come for advice, they give it to you, and you just disregard it and push your victim narrative.

no booking

Maybe they have other issues with the engine or Valve or the instantly recognizable shading and physics making their game look like a HL2 mod. Or maybe they are just idiots and you should find better friends.

So SteamID car assignments?

>it a tracc is not fun with a shit vehicle, it probably is not fun at all
thats not how it works at all you moron. many people consider the nurburgring or spa to be great tracks, but i sure as shit wouldnt have any fun driving around it in a gokart that goes a max of 50kph. drive your tracks with an acceptable car, not the worst car imaginable.

yep. i'll put right fields in the doc so everyone willing can send their GUIDs.

the only problem is that asscorsa gives assigned cars to random people when there is no "free" cars left, but i'll solve it by adding more cars than you can see in race. this way, skinless people will always have free car to use

To be fair, Source is only really good at one thing and that's shooting people in the face on russian-spec computers. With Source 2 coming up on the horizon investing in learning Source and its archaic development tools is just waste.

>many people consider the nurburgring or spa to be great tracks, but i sure as shit wouldnt have any fun driving around it in a gokart
Is that why there are multiple top gear and similar car show episodes dedicated to going around the ring in a Transit van, in literal go-karts, in pissed-on civcs, and in all other manner of literal trash?

So basically like every AC series with pickups?

>they give it to you
what advice have you given

all youve done so far is go "lern webms" and really thats about it

nothing about actual track or even basic road construction

AC casual fridays revival when?

>you should find better friends.
like who nigga everyone is like this

Exactly, you can't even take the simplest advice no one is going to take you seriously and act like you're not a 13 year old retard.

Driveclub PUGs when?

>you can't even take the simplest advice
where it nigga

what advice? use a better test vehicle? irrelevant when theres no track parameters specified. "lol just make it for u :)"? garbage nonsense from fee-fee gurus. where's your fucking advice then

please realize they dont just have a video of a guy driving a van around the ring, theres tons of other jokes and gags added in to make it entertaining. unless you can somehow get jeremy clarkson and friends to narrate the shopping trolley race youre doing on the ring i dont see how that can be any fun for longer than 5 minutes.

maybe they should build a proper fucking car then because if its fun in a schizo tcs piece of shit then it should be fun in some ridiculous gmod lmp equivalent. if its completed in some shitbox from a non-racing game with a binary throttle and no ABS then some asshole with a gamepad or wheel should be able to clear it in better time than me with his LMP equivalent

Change the export format of your video processing software. It's the simplest advice and something vital if you want people to take you seriously. And yet, you don't listen. You keep going like you know better. So obviously we're not in position to give you advice about how to make tracks if you can't even take something as simple as that.

Second example, that picture you posted accompanying your post. Last thread someone asked you to change some settings to take a more representative screenshot but you didn't. You literally don't understand what any of us are saying past the mean posts that reinforce your victim narrative.

>what advice?
stop posting.

Your project has no sense or purpose, no one races in half-life, you're doing it only for your self-improvement so you can keep results to yourself until you get good. I really couldn't care less about basic shitposting, but your rust, and everything that follows makes this thread /b/-tier.

>Change the export format of your video processing software. It's the simplest advice and something vital if you want people to take you seriously. And yet, you don't listen.
It's irrelevant to the work, and is low hanging fruit to make fun of. It's a convenient way to say "You're SHIT!" without actually assaulting the meaningful work

>you're doing it only for your self-improvement so you can keep results to yourself until you get good.
Do you think I make things just to have low lap times on them?

but it is the medium by which we're experiencing the work and an animated fucking postage stamp says absolutely nothing.

>It's irrelevant to the work
Holy fuck cunt you're insane. Why would you ask for critique over the internet and then give people the worst possible images to help critique your work?

Hey guys is this a good shade of red for this Ferrari livery I'm making? This is literally you.

>fucking postage stamp
Ignore all the original questions, of course. Forget banking, grades, all that dumb roadwork stuff; I forgot that only sheer resolution matters. Here you go, then.

>5000x3750
Now this is gaming.

>banking, grades
what?

what is this even a picture of

>i wish i could make tracks for a real racing game instead of Rust v0.02

>is this too cartoonishly aggressively banked side to side? are these turns too tight? i dont even wanna begin on off-track geometry or on-track detailing until this like 2 meters or w/e of road is absolutely perfect and sets a standard of what is acceptable for the rest of it

>please note that the part in obvious gray/orange dev textures will probably have a grippy natural sufrace later, like gravel or tamped dirt. the pressed concrete and poured concrete will remain level accross their widths wherever that material is used and only be not level to change elevation, unlike the dev textured bit thats all waverly

Who gives a shit? It's high res. it has more visual information in it

>4:3
vocaroo.com/i/s0jDtRKayQfl

good catch
i cant believe this stupid dumb nigger scum is still at it

reminder that the ""person"" who made this gif literally killed my family

you are being obtuse.

yeah just keep reposting this

its very productive

Here's a question then: what's an acceptable rule for banking? what's an acceptable grade going up or down?

can you say, or will you just get pissy about gifs v webms again and spend another week spamming "muh rust v 0.02" like an asshole?

i wish i could make tracks for a real racing game instead of Rust v0.02

is this too cartoonishly aggressively banked side to side? are these turns too tight? i dont even wanna begin on off-track geometry or on-track detailing until this like 2 meters or w/e of road is absolutely perfect and sets a standard of what is acceptable for the rest of it

please note that the part in obvious gray/orange dev textures will probably have a grippy natural sufrace later, like gravel or tamped dirt. the pressed concrete and poured concrete will remain level accross their widths wherever that material is used and only be not level to change elevation, unlike the dev textured bit thats all waverly

i wish i could make tracks for a real racing game instead of Rust v0.02

is this too cartoonishly aggressively banked side to side? are these turns too tight? i dont even wanna begin on off-track geometry or on-track detailing until this like 2 meters or w/e of road is absolutely perfect and sets a standard of what is acceptable for the rest of it

please note that the part in obvious gray/orange dev textures will probably have a grippy natural sufrace later, like gravel or tamped dirt. the pressed concrete and poured concrete will remain level accross their widths wherever that material is used and only be not level to change elevation, unlike the dev textured bit thats all waverly

It depends on the car and the game engine.
Also don't assume all anonymous are the same person.