Electrician apprentice here with 10k in the bank...

Electrician apprentice here with 10k in the bank. I'm trying to go to community college but the only good degres I see are engineering technology or associates in accounting. Any technologists around here? Any other ideas? Should I just go to a "real college" instead?

No, ask them about transferring to a 4 year college. 2 years at cc 2 at a "real" school and no one will ever know the difference and you will save a shit ton of money.

withdraw the 10k get food stamps and go to college for free u herb

Elaborate? Will they notice???

>Electrician apprentice here
Why not continue the trade? Plenty can get six figures if they have a head on their shoulders with a trade, college will increase the ceiling but by not that much.

Not sure how I can make 6 figures, I know jack shit about starting my own business.

I'm studying RMO and they start with 33/hour in union, and more if your independent. Rather easy to get overtime, but that depends on building etc.

Try going into more known company, I know some electricians are insured and compensated thus why they ask 3-5k for a job, when someone that is just a electrician can do the job for 500-1000. It's all about knowing the right people, but if you are a apprentice, your higher up should know couple people and help you navigate through the field.

>tfw ywn be a blacksmith's apprentice in medieval England

Ok thanks mate

Why not electrical engineering? They make bank bro

Seconded, 2 years at cc and 2 years at big boy school is the way to go, worked for me.

They don't offer it at community college

What major?

Is it difficult to get accepted in to an apprenticeship? I applied at my local IBEW and now I'm just waiting.

Ultimately it comes down to who you know if you want the job hasty. I know in Unions if you want to progress you have to take their courses etc, but they will always have your back once you do so and will provide you with a job.

People don't apply where I live so they take whatever they can. Nobody wants to work.with their hands and a lot of people drop out in two years because they can't attend classes due to having kids

This
AS Business Admin
Transferred to 4 yr
BS Accounting
BS Finance

Now a Financial Analyst with almost no debt

Fuck the union. Just pick up the phone and cold call a bunch of construction/electrical companies and say you have tools and you would like to apprentice for them. Once they say yes go buy some tools. Fun fact: A lot of non union companies do not advertise that they have open positions so they aren't forced to hire union workers. At least that's how it works in my state.

Anyways, you might want to try plumbing if you have the stomach for it too. Naturally a lot more people are trying to get into electrical so it might be a tougher gig to find depending on where you live.

Electrician is where I'm gravitating to for full time employment. I'm picking up arc welding right now, and I'm looking in to classes at the local cc for summer.
If I don't get in to an electrical union, I have the (bleak) option of working as an Electrician for Metra through pure nepotism. Problem is I have no knowledge of electronics. I have a couple books to read on it, but no formal education or certification to show.
Pipe fitting would go great alongside welding and this is the one my grandfather has suggested I try.

I heard welding sucks unless you have the right connections but don't take my word for it.

>Associate in accounting

>Fun fact: A lot of non union companies do not advertise that they have open positions so they aren't forced to hire union workers.
Listen to this guy, the people that hire Union workers know that sooner or later, their whole company will be filled with the union guys, and then they will be in a tough situation.
Btw, get your certificates and shit, make sure you have that, check your city and what they want, in NYC, you need to pass bunch of FDNY tests in order to get somewhere.