Why do fags like the i8? Did you know it's engine noise is fake...

Why do fags like the i8? Did you know it's engine noise is fake... And amplified through the cars speakers to make it look like you're driving a sports car lmao

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FUtRiBwwFpM
youtube.com/watch?v=zkgXnEQvLk8
youtube.com/watch?v=fxe_b2GRwok
youtube.com/watch?v=2ew2UzsbWTk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Welcome to what every other manufacturer is doing.

Is this your first time looking at a car newer than 1999?

>And amplified through the cars speakers
Pretty sure the M3 and M5 do this as well.

Pretty sure it's because it's so quiet inside the car's cabin you can't hear the exhaust any other way.

I just don't get why they made it look like a supercar but it's just a hybrid sports car

that and it should be called the i3 or something, the 8 doesn't make sense to me

So what's the 3...

why do people bitch over the dumbest shit?

3 bangywangy chutes, or as Americans may call them, cylinders

Why don't you tell us.

just disappointed that the i8 could have been so much more

couldnt tell you since op is complaining about things that arent even issues

It’s cool because it’s built by the F1 team.
The cabin sound is ok only because sound is useful for proper shifting.

The front tires make this car shit tho.

For now the ///M2 is a better car in every way for 1/3 the price

Porsche, Mercedes AMG, Jaguar, Ford does it too.

It is fake? There's one near me I see every so often and I never could figure out what exactly was going on with it.

That makes sense now. All the faggotry is in alignment.

Pretty sure either Chevy or Dodge do it on a couple models too.

the exterior sound is not fake dumbass
and it sounds pretty good for a 3 cylinder
youtube.com/watch?v=FUtRiBwwFpM

Thats not the point, its more like a technology showcase than a sports car.

This is wrong.

The BMW i8 comes with both interior and exterior ASD (Active Sound Design). There are two exhaust tips on the rear, the right one is the actual engine exhaust but the left one is simply housing a speaker that amplifies the lackluster 3cyl exhaust.

I couldn't believe it at first, but it's true. This is the state of German engineering

Forgot picture

People still want to feel like their car is powerful, engine vibrations, and sound are the best feedback for that. Safety regulators also want EVs and hybrids to have some kind of speaker system onboard so pedestrians don't get hit by near silent vehicles.

We can complain about it, but they're probably coming to everything in the future.

damn that is surprising.
It still sounds pretty mean for a 1.5 L even with ASD disabled though.
youtube.com/watch?v=zkgXnEQvLk8

The i8 is downright ear-catching though. Plenty of ICE vehicles don't do much more than purr and and make the usual road noise from the wheels.

The bigger shame is that horrible high-pitched whine many EVs make. OH GREAT NOW THAT I'M BLIND FROM THE ALL THE LASER HEADLIGHTS AND TAIL LIGHTS I CAN GO DEAF TOO THANKS SAFETY

it's the same company that builds the 600hp M5, M6, and 760i....they can get a pass for having one car that is underwhelming

Laser headlights are fucking amazing if you're the one sitting behind them.
I wouldn't mind if the EV noise was more pronounced. I've test rode a Zero motorcycle, and that thing sounds really cool while its whirring up. Problem is it makes almost no noise while you're cruising. It turns into a noise comparable to the whining of a cheap refrigerator. That really kills a lot of the fun of EVs.

I've had HID headlights for the past year. First time in my life. I prefer nice soft halogens. It's ample room for a middle ground between weak yellow 80s halogens and blasting lasers.

I don't like the harsh white either, I think thats actually harder for your eyes to pickup, but the distance they'll throw light is insane. It seems like signage on the road lights up half a mile down.

That's what brights are for imo. At least mine are easy to adjust so that they cut off before going into the rear window of the guy in front of me at normal following distances.

It actually is a completely fake sound that plays out of an external speaker near the exhaust. It’s got a mini engine so the true sound is what a mini sounds like.

Same 1.5L 3 cylinder turbo engine as the Mini cooper.

>any other way
straight pipe senpai

I just think the i8 is cool because it's one of the rare cases where the production car looks very close to the concept car. Some people don't like the futuristic THIS IS AN ELECTRIC CAR look but I like it because it looks nice and makes the car stand out. Brings some magic into the mundane world.

t. someone who will never be able to afford an i8 so I have no idea about the practical matters

can't make this shit up

so this is the power of german engineering...
youtube.com/watch?v=fxe_b2GRwok

I drove i8 a lot and liked it, idk what's your problem with it, it's a pretty cool car for whoever has the money for it.

When you drove one did you have to stop and fuel it up? I feel like thats a major point that people should know about.
You're not allowed to manually open the fuel door. You have to park, let pressure or something vent, and the door will only open when the computer determines that its safe. This can take anyone from 15 seconds to a couple minutes, if it works at all. Fuel door malfunctions are a notable issue with them.

Jag and Ford pipe noise directly into the cabin from the engine rather than play it through the speakers.

new fords play it through the speakers too.
youtube.com/watch?v=2ew2UzsbWTk

Mustang has a physical sound tube running from induction hose to firewall that you can easily delete and plug the hole in the firewall

A lot of newer VAG cars (Mk7 GTi and S3 among them) use a body-mounted transducer (pretty much a speaker without the cone - called a Soundaktor in VAG-speak) to transfer vibration and thus sound into the driver's compartment, previous to this they used a similar setup to .

>The i8 is pretty much the soy boy of sports cars, this is coming from a BMW fanboy

whom are you quoting

>bangywangy chutes
Fucking Cockney. They're reciprocal thrumpumpers.