Do you own one? Why/why not?

Do you own one? Why/why not?

My dad showed me how to open these so now I always do when I see one.

How would you see one? Do you crawl under people's cars for funsies?

They are expensive.
I thought about just getting a regular brass plumbing valve from the hardware store instead.
As far as I can tell my drain plug is just an npt pipe fitting anyways.

Lots of lifted trucks use them. Easy to spot and easy to reach.

It wont fit on my oilpan :(

nope
car too low

So you spill 6q of oil all over the ground? For what reason

He's probably black.

Hm maybe just spend the 20 bucks on the actual valve rather then niggerigging the thing that holds all your oil in

Depends on the miles from the last change

I do own one, mostly because it was already on my car, but it is pretty nice to just pop it open without making a mess. The biggest reason i like it is I don't want to buy crush washers every time I change my oil.

I don't really trust a $0.03 spring holding in my engines blood especially in a area that's prone to rock and road debris strikes.

To fuck your life with no consequences.

>walk up to truck
>oil everywhere
Close valve and put oil in
>get in truck
>start it up
>oil pressure light on
Get out, fill oil

Not sure what your end game is. Besides, you could just as easily empty someone's oil with a regular plug.

What is this?

I don't have time to worry/deal with that shit before work or when I'm 100 miles from civilization in bear country. Fuck carrying around like 5qts of oil.

>he fell for the crush washer jewish trick

>I don't want to buy crush washers
You actually do this?

As opposed to just flipping it around, no I do Both but after a few changes I do put a new washer on

What is op's pic? At first I thought it was a bov bit you guys are talking about oil changes.

>So you spill 6q of oil all over the ground?
No, but it's exciting for him to pretend he would.
Really, this vicarious posting shit is the closest he'll ever come, as he lacks balls.

>oil pressure light on
by then its too late retard

Oil plug with a release valve

you're saying running an engine for 10 seconds with low oil pressure is a death sentence?

What in the fuck is this shit.........

Are Americans actually to lazy to undo a bolt?

you're saying it isnt?

Maybe if you're driving your formula 1 car at 18,000 rpm.
Meanwhile for the rest of us with normal engines no - 10 seconds without oil pressure will do fuck all.

what am i looking at? Some sort of quick tab drain plug?

>10 seconds without oil pressure will do fuck all.
when your bearings shit themselves after 10 thousand kms think of me

>what is film strength and residual oil

Yeah, its not ideal and you shouldnt do it on a regular basis. For everybody out there that dosent pre-fill their oil filters, they're doing the same shit. Dry starts and the low oil pressure light is on for 5+ seconds depending on the size of the filter.

Nice projection, my man

It's for people who like to pretend that their shitbox is a racecar.

Bought my racecar with one on it. Turns out 1/4" aluminum skidplates still bend when they hit big enough rocks. I had maybe 3/4" of clearance to the fumoto valve but after my last rally i found pic related. It pushed the valve loose a 1/4 turn just enough to start letting oil out. Shit came off the next day and a standard plug went in.

Car is a stage rally prepped gc impreza.

If you really want something like this, why mot ho to a hardware store and buy a regular ball valve.

You can even take the handle off for more safety.

Jesus crist people.

10 seconds of significantly increased wear will not kill your engine.
It is roughly the same wear as cold starting your engine 10 times, since it doesn´t have oil pressure for about a second when starting either.

Spooky

Feckin pussy

I dunno man, on a track driven car it would be fine but how long did you think it was gonna last in a rally car?

I use one to keep from having to replace crush washers. It's also a really easy affair rather than having to get the socket and ratchet on and off and juggle the drain plug.

Much less than a second, your starter turning the engine over before first fire primes the oil pump.

Post pics of GC pls. I love GC's.

That's what happenes when you use fucking aluminum sheeting for a skid tray. If you can flex it by hand it's not thick enough.

>racecar
>anything but a safety wired drain bolt

It doesn´t realy matter if the engine just turns over or idles, the load on the bearings is pretty much the same.
Also the oil has to travel trough the oil pickup into the oilpump and from there to the bearings before it can lubricate them.

Electric auxilary oilpumps would be nice...

>load on the bearings is the same

Not really

The compression is the same, and at Idle the engine produces just enough torque to overcome the friction.
There is a difference, but it is verry low.

no, because im not a pussy who is afraid of touching oil

-t. busrider who's never started a car and looked at the oil light

>you could just as easily empty someone's oil with a regular plug
No I couldn't because I don't carry a spanner along. But a Fumoto can easily be opened by hand.

Just installed one on my land cruiser a couple months ago.

installed a stahlbus drain valve last week
I think it's superior to the fumoto due to the additional safety of the endcap,
the generally smaller and smoother profile to avoid this and the security of needing the right fitting to open it in case of idiots like this user build quality is really nice, and opening it is super easy
will report back in a year or so when doing my first oil change with it

gif of it being operated

you're a pleb if you don't walk around with wrenches in your pocket for removing drain plugs off of lifted vehicles.

because if you put one of these on you deserve it

>he doesn't have a set of wrenches with him always
Wow
Who hurt you

I'd rather not add a random fucking valve that doesn't need to exist on my OIL PAN of all places. These drain valves are a case of people looking for shit to spend money on if there ever was one.

One immutable law of the world is that shit breaks. It might be fine for the 1,000,000 other fuckers but the one time where you end up being the guy that gets boned then you're going wish you left well enough alone.

Do they sell them with different thread depths to account for different oil pans? I would prefer to avoid having a too much the fitting protruding into the oil pan and not being able to do as complete of a drain.

actually you produce a lot more torque than just enough for overcoming friction

In a fucking miata I can idle and cruise up to 4th gear without stalling

no they only offer different thread sizes
depth is fixed at 12mm
however that is rather short, my original drain plug was 16mm or so
so you shouldn't have any problems with it being too long

Not just Americans have these. Less about effort of removing a bolt, but more about not fishing for the plug in old oil or over/under tightening bolt.

its not. the drain plug is straight threaded with a gasket seal. and most cars also come with a crush washer, that no one ever replaces. don't try to thread a NPT 1/2 pipe plug in there its probably not even the right size.

>In a fucking miata I can idle and cruise up to 4th gear without stalling
That is due to the fact that you have a idle adjust valve, that adjusts throttle to keep a stable idle rpm.

Holy shit that's cool

man how hard is it to stick a wrench on a bolt and turn, if you don't have the physical strength or something (even a kid could turn it) then use a breaker bar or just a longer wrench its hardly any effort required

I use a brass washer and have never had a drip

*block your path*

How much oil do you leave behind every change?

Yes, but I have to wait for oil change day to put it on. I own it because i want to be able to pour straight into the catch container, and I don't off road.

>covering your wrench, and plug in oil.
>needing a drip pan
Nah, I'll pass.

>How much oil do you leave behind every change?
Not much honestly, m8. I always dump the old oil into the new container and I get pretty much all of it.

Why worry about off roading? If you've done enough damage that the fumoto is fucked then other shit is broken too.

It has no gasket and its definitely tapered.
Same with the transmission oil plugs, diff oil plugs, heater core inlet/outlet, water temp sensor, oil pressure switch.
I shit you not, all of its npt.
3/4 for the drain plugs and 3/8 for the coolant stuff.

On my truck the lowest part of the thing would be the valve. So yes it woyld be literally the first thing to go

Ah, mine is horizontal on the oil pan so I'm not too worried.

>screwing in a screw cap
>attaching a hose
how is this much different from undoing a bolt and using a drain pan?

Because I can drive into my garage after a long drive, attach the hose to the nipple, release the valve and boiling hot oil is drawn directly into my container of choice.
You try taking the drain plug off ten seconds after shutting down the engine after a long drive, let me know how your skin does.

Well yeah, a drain plus is just supposed to plug it up. However, a valve actually needs to allow oil to flow through it. If it's too long, it'll create a "lip" or a dam of sorts on the inside of the pain so less oil than usual will flow out.

easy

>ratchet is set wrong direction by accident
>strips drain pain
Lmao at ur life

>actually you produce a lot more torque than just enough for overcoming friction
No you dont

Protip, your engine produces power EXACTLY corresponding to the torque(in relation to rpm) required to overcome internal friction + waste heat.

And if you still insist thats not true, please tell me where the extra power goes to? Fairytale land?

>needing tools to drain your oil
What is it 2010?

>drain plug comes out and tool spins oil everywhere all within .25 seconds

Nah you're not tricking me again

I trust a bolt & a gasket much more than a valve - especially an exposed valve

Besides, I only touch it once per year anyways so I don't see the need for a valve

safety wiring your drain bolts>replacing them with fast leak valves

I appreciated the convenience and told myself if i ever saw it move it would come off. This happened, it didn't drain the pan, and I got lucky. Now I know how much the underside flexes when hitting football sized rocks and the valve is gone.
See pic.
It does its job of protecting the oil pan. This same hit took out my control arm too. There's a tradeoff of safety vs weight and while I could make a thick steel plate that will protect against acts of god the cars not gonna like the extra 500lbs. Having the valve face down so close was my mistake.

I've thought about it maybe in the future

Looks pretty awesome. Just ordered one last night

because of own one of these

>One immutable law of the world is that shit breaks. It might be fine for the 1,000,000 other fuckers but the one time where you end up being the guy that gets boned then you're going wish you left well enough alone.

then you just wrench it off like a normal oil plug. its not fucking welded on...

>mine is horizontal on the oil pan
low horizontal im assuming? that sounds like a bitch to get a full drain if not...

I don't know if you fully understand what happens when your oil drain bolt suddenly becomes an oil drain hole

No, the bolt and crush washer is superior technology, cheaper and less prone to foreign material causing a lack of complete seal.

I have to jack my car up to fit an oil pan under there anyway, let alone a tube.

probably misunderstood your intent with your post. I thought you were implying that it would stop draining altogether and THAT was the failure.

yes, it blowing out or getting smacked off by a speedbump would suck