Opinions on diesel?

Opinions on diesel?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine?wprov=sfla1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Better fuel economy, more torks, tunability (many diesels can get 30+ HP from a simple 200€ remap), power comes in one big lump then runs out as you get closer to redline, sounds like a tractor at idle, black smoke, potentially more expensive maintenance compared to petrol (depending on model), less fun to drive (at least according to most people).

its for chads

Takes more displacement or a large turbo to work in cars. Not as zippy or fun as gas in cars under 2.5L because of the horrendous turbo lag.

I own two, hard to pass up 45mpg

Excellent for a van.

Fantastic for longer distances and work

Shit for short distance driving and speed

Suits me fine

Doesn't smell bad compared to what I often encounter in my neighborhood.

40+mpg while cruising on a highway and boatloads of torque at 1600rpm to move all the pig fat around
Can't really beat it for a long road trip

Love it because it makes towing with econoboxes possible. I've got a diesel econobox myself and it's got more torque than the largest petrol model. On that note petrol pickup trucks are basically the most idiotic vehicles in the world.

t. pajeet

Diesel pickups make perfect sense. Don't confuse a work truck with some faggot rolling coal

Diesel in my opinion is just better for a daily, go get yourself a gasoline driftcar or a weekend toy, but to work, crusing with friends and long trips diesel is just better. Also fucking endless tourqe and better milage

my 2.0 BMW can get +70hp & 120nm from a custom remap + DPF delete :^)

You're not disagreeing with me and I'm not disagreeing with you. Read the previous post carefully.

Diesel is worse for grocery getters because the engines dont run hot enough on just 5 minute trips, so as some peoples daily petrol is better

>5 minute daily drives
>implying that's good for a petrol engine
>implying modern diesels don't have glow plugs and other electronic fuckery to get up to temps as fast as a modern petrol engine
God dammit America

Spare me I just woke up

No cold start to speak of on a diesel though, they dont suffer from excessive fuel consumption on short runs, also don't rust exhausts as much. Shit for the oil though.

i own a 2010 diesel bmw, worked for a dealership with bmws, subarus, hyundais, renaults and more, sure they may heat up faster than an old diesel, but diesel engines in general still take much longer to heat up than petrol engines

god dammit Veeky Forums

Must be a BMW thing. Every diesel Merc heats up nearly as quickly as their petrol equivalent with similarly sized engines

The BMW diesels can indeed get tremendous gains from a couple of simple mods

like i said i worked daily with renaults, range rovers, land rovers, hyundais, subarus and more, all of them brand new, and the diesels always took longer to heat up

must be a merc thing

sounds awesome when a turbocharged diesel like pic related get straightpiped

I could haul all that shit plus some more with a ranger retarded europoor

And use the same vehicle to carry four passengers?

Also you're wrong. According to Ford the 2010 Ranger was rated for 5940 lbs with the right options. That generation of Tiguan is rated for 4850 lbs with the right options, but the current generation is rated for 5512 lbs from the factory, and there are third party technical approvals that boost towing to 7275 lbs.

I was going to say inb4 diesels take longer to heat up, but this faggot had to bleed ignorance all over this thread.
Diesels are great.
They have good fuel economy, great low end torque, they don't take longer to warm up like the retard above would have you believe.
NOx and particulate emissions can be easily managed by modern DPF and SCR technology. This technology is better understood now and works better with actual real world driving cycles than the previous generation.

I own a diesel as a daily drive and gasoline car for the weekends.

Pretending to be a tractor and rolling coal is entertaining

maybe not literally every single one ever, but in general diesels take longer to heat up, this is coming from someone who owns and loves diesels

why can't you just admit that? they generate less heat and often idle at lower rpms, why would they not take longer to heat up?

Egr recirculation

They generate far less heat at idle that's for sure, full air flow and a tiny amount of fuel, given that they don't need to maintain an AFR at idle, simply deliver enough fuel to maintain idle rpm.

No recirc at idle on most of the engines I've worked on.

>Idle
Way to move the goalposts faggot

> they generate less heat and often idle at lower rpms
In the post you replied to and anyone who drives short trips in a city is going to spend time at idle.

i know, that's why i said they idle at lower RPM, which would generate less heat even if they generated as much heat as a gasoline engine at the same RPM

not sure about the point of your reply, are you just agreeing with me?

Can it also not kill itself by eating itself?

I don't believe the bit about generating less heat either. Turbos, egr, and the hard fact that they are designed with higher operating temps for the sake of efficiency, makes me doubt that.

>tfw you upgrade to 150 gallon tanks because only having two saddle mounts on your 140 gallon tanks feels sketchy

Diesels have a far lower fuel-to-air ratio, run at lower rpms, and they burn more efficiently (less power loss), why would they not generate less heat per combustion?

I wasn't talking about RPM, I was talking about heat generated at idle, which is lower as a diesel for 3 main reasons.
You have full engine airflow at idle, there is no airflow throttle as the engine is throttled using fuel - this air has a dramatic cooling effect
Diesel combustion occurs at a lower temperature than Petrol combustion
You don't need to maintain a particular AFR in a diesel engine, your idle AFR's can be essentially infinite, depending what fuel delivery is required to turn the engine over at idle.

> designed with higher operating temps for the sake of efficiency
What their water jacket runs isn't reflective of combustion temps, diesels are cooler in the combustion chamber.

yeah i'm not the same guy, the top comment you quoted is me, and i agree with you, the lower guy you quoted is someone else, who seems to think that diesels, even though they have the characteristics you just listed, somehow magically generate as much heat, not really sure what his though process is

Hah my bad, I only just realised I replied to the wrong guy earlier.

Increased compression, water cooled turbos, water cooled egr gas, and the hard fact that a diesel is more efficient at higher temps.

>tfw 1800F EGT at 1500rpm

You forgot the head is also cooled by return fuel.

Only driven one diesel powered car in my life and I fucking hate it. My folks' Hyundai i40

Though I guess it's the car itself and not the diesel engine I hate

>increased compression
but a lower volume of fuel to the air inside the cylinder
>water cooled turbos and whatnot
just more things that take heat away from the engine as it warms up
>diesel is more efficient at higher temperatures
Just because it's more efficient doesn't mean it generates more heat, not really a connection there

some diesel engines can even go from operating temp (usually around 90 degrees celcius) down to 50-70 degrees while idling. Why? Because they generate less heat..

Seriously, google it, ask google if diesels generate less heat, everything you find will tell you it does

Yep, you never have to worry about a diesel overheating at idle and large machinery has shutters on the radiator to air in heating the engine in certain circumstances.
Can be a different story at high load as the diesel has a longer time to act on the water jacket due to the diesels burn time.

Air was sposed to be Aid, fucking phone

Should be banned in normal cars. Only acceptable for trucks, vans 'n shit.

It doesn't take away heat, it adds it because guess what? Your water gets hotter much sooner, which, surprise, warms up your engine sooner. All your assumptions are about 15+ years out of date. Modern diesels are designed to run hotter sooner for increased efficiency and less emissions. It doesn't matter anyway, diesel had its day, and manufactures can't make it run clean without resorting to dirty tricks. DEF will be rejected by consumers, as soon as electric cars because common and affordable. Everything that is """"good""" about diesel is dead now that emissions goals are a thing.

Am I the only one who prefers diesels for the way they drive, and not just fuel economy? I've bought a petrol 170 hp car for the first time in my life, expecting to be blown away with the power after driving a 90 hp diesel for so long, and there's barely any difference in low to mid RPM (which is where I spend 95% of my time driving), and taking off without stalling is much harder. Is there even any point to a petrol for daily driving, where you aren't revving the piss out of your car 24/7?

I'm talking about when the engine is cold and warming up, when the engine is hot, sure that stuff adds heat under load, but definitely not more heat than a compatible petrol engine

but when the engine is cold, and the coolant is cold too, more surface area (turbo and all that) = more heat taken away from the warming engine

Petrol dosent create near the amount of particulate soot which gets deep in your lungs.

for smaller engines i definitely prefer diesels, but for the bigger, more powerful engines (3.0 and up would be my preference) i'd take the petrol engines over the diesels

>more torks

Why?
Yee, but I didn't know it would make such a big difference

Jews are trying to fuck over Cummins ISBs with Mechanical Injectors with their type 2 Diesel crap

for instance my own car, a bmw 320d, when compared to a 320i, has around 30 more hp, and almost double the torque, with a simple remap it will add 40-70hp and 70-120nm of torque on top of that, along with much better fuel economy

i also find that small petrol engines (N/A) are all pretty gutless, but the turbodiesels, even the small ones that don't really pack any real power, still have a decent amount of torque, and they're never struggling like the gasoline ones

on the bigger engines however, i find petrol to be much more fun, you just can't go wrong with a big fat V8

They usually just rely on dual thermostats. Mine don't open until 180F. Last winter the both got stuck open, so after the water temp hit about 190, it's drop to about 40F until the engine was stopped so the return springs could overcome the flow pressure.

Yeap, same deal with a Mazda 6, the 2.2d smokes the 2.5 in day to day driving whilst being better on fuel.

I meant large machinery, things like powerplants.

Glorious VAG diesels were awesome. Wish there were more performance diesels out there.

R O A D K A N G Z reporting in
>tfw no 150gal tanks on my K600
Why live?

Petrol means gas in the queens language.
>diesel /= petrol

its the dpf cleaning that is bad with only short drives

Ameriburgers should have kept their giant Cadillacs and just put diesels in them instead of the giant thirsty petrol engines.

>unironically using manufacturer towing ratings
Lmao

Objectively better for every day use, but can be a pain in the ass during the winter time.

The other user's correct. Coolant running through the turbo and EGR may pull heat out of these systems, but that heat is redistributed throughout the rest of the engine helping the block and head warm up faster. Simply blanking off an EGR with a plate (presuming the car doesn't throw a CEL through abnormal manifold vacuum) significantly slows the rate at which a diesel warms up.

Which ones? The Golf 2.0 makes the same grunt on works dyno as the FCA 1.9/2.0, the Golf GT diesel made a little more but the one guy I knew who owned one had done two turbos by 55,000km and all servicing under VW's control.

further development of diesel engines is literally polishing the turd
>2 valves per cylinder
>swirl flaps
>20,000 psi injection pressures
>rattling
>huge egr that clogs with soot
>huge and expensive exhaust aftertreatment system
>car decides to shit itself when one part of exhaust treatment fails

>wanting to illegally tow upwards of 6000 lbs with a V6 petrol crutch

Oldsmobile tried, to be fair.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine?wprov=sfla1

>2 valves per cylinder
as apposed to one?

Smells like manure, and powers droning low RPM loud pigfat engines with smoke belching and kills racing drivers.