/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we talk about Sonic stuff! Share art and music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more.

/sthg/ #839 - /sthg/'s Birthday Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsSonic News<
Sonic Mania OST - Special Stage ("Dimension Heist")
youtube.com/watch?v=OLcblxrrE0Q

Many Details of Mania Revealed at SDCC: Animated Intro, Special Stages, Story, etc.
www.tssznews.com/2017/07/22/sdcc-2017-special-stage-in-sonic-mania-revealed-story-details/

IDW and SEGA Enter Publishing Deal; Will Be Speaking to Fan-Favorite and New Creators
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/888538195045998592
twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/888536084472352770

Sonic Forces "Enter Infinite" Trailer & Theme of Infinite
youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6uqp_mr98
youtube.com/watch?v=XKjOJuPjiu4

Archie Sonic Officially Cancelled; Not the End of Sonic in Comics
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887809496898088960

>General Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zK4h9xR7Dec
youtu.be/ZtTY_yHkLUs
youtube.com/watch?v=kPHJXVfxugQ&list=PL085EA392D8241323&index=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dumping ten threads later because I'm too slow!

Sonic 4 should have just been thrown in the trash.

It's interesting to see what's happened since last year.
We had the anniversary party which revealed Mania and forces and the comic went into haitus / cancellation mode at some point.
Now, Mania is still not out, forces looks crazy as fuck and the comics got cancelled and revived within like 3 days.
What a ride.

In our last episode of the Eggman archipeligo, the socio-political ramification of mass industrialised badnik-ification were explored. This is the action episode.

I should have reported you

Fleetway is still experimenting with Amy's outfit. They did give her a weapon though -- not a hammer obviously.

What is the sociological reason behind this retiles loyalty to Robotnik?
Has there ever been a reptile animal in a badnik? Weren't there turtles in Sky chase zone? Maybe Badniks don't work so well on cold blooded animals?

wants pics/fan arts of sonic drinking tea/coffee for some reason.
other characters also appreciated .

Sonic's not taking them to Narnia, but close.

Was there a SatAM episode like this. Sonic had to stay behind for some teleportation device?

There's Tocky (the turtle one you mentioned), but turtles are often exempt from the general image of reptiles.

That said, there haven't been many reptile badniks either. Newtron is the most famous (although named after an amphibian), but other than that there was an alligator badnik in Sonic 3D Blast and a crocodile badnik in Sonic Lost World.

T...turtles aren't reptiles?
Star posts as teleporters was used fairly early on in Fleetway canon. But they were WAY bigger than this.

>T...turtles aren't reptiles?

They are, but they're often treated differently to the rest of the reptiles in fiction.

But Sonic isn't fiction user.
Fleetway first for Sonic riding on a missile (sort of).

>They did give her a weapon though -- not a hammer obviously.
Which is perfectly fine

Fitting to current comic news

On our last episode of Total Chaotix, two Metal Sonic's tried to grab their prize, Dr. Omniviewer. Knuckles lead the team to their base, where they work for the Emperor, the Metallix-man. But Mighty was being a Hothead and got them all caught. Oh and Nack's here too; no charge for him.

Too many hotheads on this team. You can see why the band went down to three members.
Worth pointing out that Metallix is a pretty tough customer. Also, as far as the Chaotix know, there are only two of them in the base. And I guess Kitching had to lampshade that cliche somehow.

>two Metal Sonic's tried to grab their prize
They work for mercenary?

Lotta loyalty to the robot throne.
Nack, being a weasel here.
I guess this whole setup is written to emphasise that Metallix is the hunter in this situation. Thinking about it now, setups like this just made Metallix that bit more awesome. Even the heroes have to hide from him. There's a lot you can do narratively to influence the read of a character without getting them to figuratively bend iron bars.

What kind of parties does Charmy go to? There's an Austin Powers joke in my mind for some reason.
Also issue theme: youtube.com/watch?v=zK4h9xR7Dec I was going to use a Terminator theme but well, you know.

The robot killing machine does its work.
I guess by taking out the entire Metallix crew, Knuckles surviving proves he is even more badass or something. Like Predator or something.
Alien, Terminator, Predator. Basically Metal Sonic is redolent with the awesomeness of all great enemies of his time. In my head anyway. Again, you had to be nine.

Next Issue: [Some cool pun on fists vs science or something; no more baneposting shit]

Because this is the Sonic series. Being trendy matters more than being good.

So it's the general's birthday. Y'all gonna do anything special?

I have it on my phone and it's okay.
Not Taxman level good though, obviously.

I'm gonna masturbate.

Play Sonic Adventure for the first time?

Happy birthday, /sthg/!
How old is this general anyway?

I'm playing Team Kirby Clash Deluxe because I don't want to burn out of Sonic before Mania launches

This run of /sthg/ is three years old.

Have fun

>Sonic Adventure 2 Battle has unlockable outfits
I finally have a reason to replay them game.

do any sonic games do this besides rivals and sa2?

makin' lewds when I'm done with work

Happy birthday you faaags! Can't believe I've been 3 years here already.

Write

Huh, good thing to know I'm late to the party for at least 3 years.

Why haven't you killed yourself today /sthg/?

I think Adventure on the Dreamcast had outfits as free DLCs along with other stuff during some special events.

>Penders

>You've never gotten all the emeralds

August is right around the corner.

Thank you

>first day of work
Might play Sonic games on my phone to pass the breaks, I dunno.

>mfw I've been playing sonic games for so long that NOT getting all of the emeralds seems inconceivable
I think only sonic 1 would slip through my fingers nowadays because of how rarely I play it. what you anons? which classic emerald stages did you struggle with as a kid? which classic emerald stages do you think would would rob you of a perfect ending if you tried right now? young me struggled like hell against blue spheres.

I think I've only got all of the once in Sonic 2 and I used savestates
I can't even count Sonic Adventure or Adventure 2 because I've always played with a complete save. The only games where I actually got them and are Rush Adventure and Colours Wii. And only the classics matter anyway. Oh, right, Generations too.

Oh, wait, I almost forgot Sonic 4: Episode 1 is a thing! I did get all of the Emeralds in a classic Sonic game after all!

I still struggle with the fucking 2 half pipe, I swear it's unresponsive as shit. It's the only Classic game I played as a kid that I never got the Chaos Emeralds in excluding playing as Knuckles, and frankly it's just not worth it

I had a bit of trouble with Blue Sphere before, but when I'm actually fully concentrated it's not so bad

Less than a month until Mania

Knock knock
It's Knuckles.

I'm new so I don't know what to do

Fuck you.

I got a raise yesterday.

This Sonic fanfiction is longer than all of the Lord of The Rings books combined.

Autism's a powerful tool.

Also a lot of free time, no consideration of plot points, themes, use of locale to emphasise moods, none of that bullshit.
You can rack up the word count as quick as you like with tired cliches and anime bullshit.

That's a great question user.

Congrats, user.

A year and a half of effort for that much? I wonder what the story is like.

fucking masterpiece

It's like an alternate universe epic that covers Sonic's origins and many of his adventures over the years, and it filled with all sorts of lore and world building on top of the unique interpretations and history of the characters.

Play your favourite Sonic game. Unless it's boost shit, in that case play something good instead.

What does he says the origin of the Chaos Emeralds is?

How much did you read of it, user? It sounds quite alright by the way you're describing it.

Rude, user! But I'll look for a game.

IIRC, there's a smash bros fanfic that is the longest piece of literature ever written.

Did you actually read it?

I read like past the first 2 hundred chapters or something, but it's been a while since I read it.

Brawl really had a level of autism that was untouched back in the late 2000 era. It's a shame Smash 4 and what the fans produced wasn't as interesting

Could we do something together like watch or read a thing?

>watch or read a thing?
>read a thing

Well, I think I've just found the perfect thing to read:

That young man will go on to be a writer, or PR copywriter, or a professional typist.

こんにちは飯塚様 私は4歳の時から20年間ソニックのファンでした。 私は悲しいですが、これまでのビデオゲームはこれまで「ソニックアドベンチャー」ほど良くはありませんでした。 ソニックアドベンチャー3は私の生涯の夢です。 あなたが近い将来に ソニックアドベンチャー3を作ったなら、私は永遠に感謝しています。 私は テールズ、ナックルズ、エイミー、ルージュ、シャドウを含むソニックの友達としてプレーしたいと思います。 私はまた、ゲームは完全に3Dで、2Dの部分はないことを願っています。 ありがとうございました、 あなたの最大のファン

YES

>Ian pulled a Penders and insisted a character was gay with no buildup after no longer working on the book

I've got your Adventure 3 right here.

People who claim they're biggest fans are usually so full of shit.

There are people today who still deny 06 is really Adventure 3.

Ian never outright said they were gay. He said he was surprised he was able to imply it as much as he did.

Heroes was Adventure 3, 06 was the last attempt at the "Adventure" gameplay style

Sometimes I wish we could just have a Sonic that moves around like Mario in SM64 but a little faster

>we're going to have this shit every fucking thread

>Heroes was Adventure 3

It was originally going to be, but that was changed early in development. Heroes' team mechanics sets it apart and other games like 06 or even Shadow more resemble an Adventure game than Heroes does.

Heroes, 06, and Unleashed are ALL Adventure 3. At early points in development, each of them were conceptualized as Adventure 3.

Unleashed was when they finally realized they had to move on and try something else, and thus the side characters were mostly set aside, and focus on speed was amplified.

You can still see remnants of the Adventure mentality in the collectables and Werehog gameplay though

Adventurefags just dont want to admit it though, but those three games are all the successors to SA2. Sega is never going to make a 4th successor just to give fans the "TRUE SA3".

1 - You don't send a formal letter starting with "konnichiwa", it's like opening a letter directed to Gabe Newwll with "Hello Mr. Gabe"
2 - This is just "pls Izuka make Adventure 3, do it for me waaaah" worded slightly better. If you really want that game, try to explain why it will be profitable for SEGA and offer valid suggestions on how to do it in order to gain fan approval.

If you send it like this, it will be thrown in the garbage can after the very first sentence (if it's gonna get read at all).

youtu.be/ZtTY_yHkLUs

FACT: With Sonic 06 being an intended reboot, it makes a lot of sense that Unleashed SHOULD have been called Sonic & Knuckles.

The Werehog levels should have been Knuckles instead.

Doing that, rather than abandoning all the side characters in favor of a werewolf gimmick, would have made Unleashed one of the fan-favorite games to this day. The Werewolf gave the game a HUGE negative stigma, but just imagine if they designed the adventure-style levels around Knuckles instead?

How hard is the dark story in sa2 compared to the hero side? i started getting metropolis flashbacks from the knuckles pyramid stage and onwards.

Would Knuckles have stretchy arms?

"My cock goes through boulders. that's why I flex my boner".

Nope. Levels would have been better built to suit him.

Rather than stretching arms to grapple across pits and shit, Knuckles could obviously glide.

Seriously, they were all about rebooting the franchise back then, and they wanted a game where Sonic goes fast, and the second character would explore and beat up robots. All they had to do was make it Sonic & Knuckles.

How would you make a 3D Sonic level with playable Knuckles without letting the player just climb to the highest point and flying over everything and repeat until you reach the goal ring?

Note: If you bring up some sort of alternate gameplay besides traditional Sonic platforming, then you've fallen into the same trap as Sonic Team.

ceilings and walls

A roof, or invisible wall at the top if you try to go too high, duh. Sonic3&K and the Advanced games worked out perfectly, just imagine it in a 3D enviornment. Like, oh, I don't know, Knuckles levels in the SA2.

>Note: If you bring up some sort of alternate gameplay besides traditional Sonic platforming, then you've fallen into the same trap as Sonic Team.
Fucking how? Traditional Sonic platforming isn't the only kind of gameplay that works you know.

>if sonic 3 and knuckles was released today as sonic 4
youtube.com/watch?v=kPHJXVfxugQ&list=PL085EA392D8241323&index=1

>The Werehog levels should have been Knuckles instead.
It hurts every time to think about this.

>climb to ceiling
>glide as far as you can
>find another structure to climb to the ceiling again
>repeat
It'd just slow down the process but the process would still be doable.

Stamina bar for gliding/climbing, clever enemy placement, event triggers to open up areas, ect

And this is just assuming there is a big "open" level where the only objective is just to get to the end, too. Seems like a boring level idea in the first place. If you're going to have something be more open, ideally you'd want to build around some objectives.

There's always an answer if you're a good enough dev who cares

Because have you seen the cost of funerals these days? I'd actually be more of a financial nuisance dead.

We watched the ova last year and that was fun.

>Sometimes I wish we could just have a Sonic that moves around like Mario in SM64 but a little faster
That would be garbage. I love Mario 64 but that's just dumb. Unless you give him the
spindash.

It was the closest thing to it when it was announced, but "Sonic Adventure 3" has become an idealized version of the Adventure formula. And honestly, 2006 isn't just far from it in general, but it also lacks lots of things that made Adventure and Adventure 2 feel special.

>Adventurefags just dont want to admit it though, but those three games are all the successors to SA2.
I know it and I do admit it. I think that Unleashed is garbage and the only half good things in it are the Adventure remnants.

>Sega is never going to make a 4th successor just to give fans the "TRUE SA3".
They will eventually. They're just waiting for the best time to pander to us.
On the other hand, they'll probably screw up and give us something that's worse than both Sonic 4 and 2006, both in quality and disappointment.

>until you reach the goal ring
Make him look for collectibles instead, like in the Adventure games.
You can't climb all the walls, like in the Adventure games.
Make use of Wisps. As they are right now, Drill seems the most interesting one to me. You could use it to explore the deeper parts of the walls AND the water.