Can I daily a Miata

And if so NA or NB

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BZ5pK4eAxqT/
youtube.com/watch?v=jyd5mfwMLIY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can daily anything.
NB better car all around except for popups.

No dude... On the highway this thing will chug along at 4k+ rpms just to keep up on the slow lane

Yes.
They're pretty much the exact same but the NB feels like more car. Also slightly more reliable and a little bit more power.

At 4k rpm in 5th you are doing almost 80 MPH and the engine still has more to give.

Will I die?

Yeah, about 3.5k at 65mph.

Yeah but the thing is that the engine doesn't mind revving, just don't be afraid to punch it more on the highway and you'll be fine. Also the NB (I think only the NB2 had the 6spd tho) isn't a better highway car, you might have an extra gear but the ratios on the six speed are even worse than the ratios on the five. At least the cowl shake isn't as bad though

No but don't get scared when the car is swinging its hips a little bit, idk why but for some reason Miatas shake and bounce around on the highway. Also while the handling is nice don't get cocky about it, in the wet these cars can very easily skid

My '90 had the alignment done when I first got it, rear toe was -1.1 on left and 0.8 on the right. Caster was just as shocking. Got a proper alignment done and the funky hopping is all but gone, only does it over recessed manhole covers now. No rear brace, either.

Also, pay attention to larger vehicles as they pass you, or you them, the air pressure is enough to sway you

in the wet these cars can very easily skid
and thats how i wrecked 1 american racing wheel, brake caliper, parking brake cable, hub, and worst of all was getting a left rear lower control arm

gave me an excuse to get the bbs wheels that were on it originally
.t 1993 LE

can you wrench? then yes as a daily, if not, maybe an nb would be better

Yeah I had a close encounter the other day, thankfully nothing bad happened but still I got lucky af. Stopped 3ft away from a pole and almost fell in a ditch

i was getting into 2nd after the light turned green, all of a sudden i was sliding into the left lane almost into an SUV... I had to decide between the SUV or the curb...

For me it was going too quick through a corner on a fairly bendy road in the rain, felt a shit ton of body roll and them boom the car spun, going into the other lane. Prob the dumbest thing I've done in it so far but thankfully it was a low traffic road

u can daily anyone.

the real question is...why the fuck would you? look at it!!!

cuz for the money it's a great car that's fun to drive and has a huge aftermarket for modding, if you have a problem with it being cute you're buying the wrong type of car

Alright, I've been dailying? a 93 for 2 years, I am fat (270) and average height 5 11 0r so and this is what you need to do to be able to daily this thing. And trust me, if I dailyed this thing 100 miles a day for 1.5 years ( now my commute is like 2 miles) anyone can do it.

If you can afford it, a damn hardtop.

Foamsectomy, gets you about 2 to 3 inches headroom

Smaller steering wheel, I am running a 350mm to give me a bit more leg room. Any smaller you start blocking gauges.

Delete the door handles, ( see pic, I'm not done, but this is what I did the weekend for 20 bucks.) This is so far the best thing I've done, so much room and can somewhat manspread and trigger sjws while driving.

Reliability is Rock solid if you do your homework before buying. Buy a stock one, avoid modded ones. Even then, engine goes bad, is a weekend job, some beers and 400 bucks for a replacement.

This sounds awfully unsafe, I'm okay if my car is totaled but I don't want to die. I don't go more than 5 above the speed limit and highways are like 65 here in good ol' Jacksonville. My daily commute is 45 and my entire side of town is 35.

Is a Civic much safer or is it more of the same stuff for the speeds I drive at? Should I get good at defensive driving beforehand?
No idea what that means but I really like pop up lights

I'm 5'6 150 so I won't really need to change my wheel and stuff. What does it cost to convert a soft into hard top?

A smaller wheel even for a smaller person is a very good mod. Besides stock wheel is ugly as hell and is not like the arigbag is guaranteed to work anyway since pretty much all miatas have an airbag light. Hardtops are expensive. Cheap ones are 700 expensive ones 1000

well if stuff breaks you fix it yourself

Actually I wouldn't want to give up having a convertible if I'm gonna get a miata, is a rollcage useful and what will it set me back?
Oh, I thought wrenching was some sort of technique or whatever. Yeah I figure whichever model I get it'll be used to teach me basic maintenance

In the Miata's defense I'm not a good driver and haven't seen the car's limits until that happened, neither was I on particularly great tires. As long as you don't get too crazy in the rain you should be okay. My problem is that the roads looked "dry enough" so I just drove like normal, which is 10 over. Oh, and as for other cars causing you to swing a little bit, that'll happen with just about any really lightweight car.

as long as you don't get a '90 or an early '91 with the SNC you should be good as far as reliability is concerned.

It takes 5 minutes with 2 people to go back to convertible with a hardtop and trust me if you are gonna daily it the hardtop makes a night and day difference, also a hardtop is not a replacement for a roll cage. A used hard dog roll bar usually runs about 350 400

I looked online and people say that the hardtop won't protect you from a roll, what makes it a better DD besides protection from elements? Will a rollcage adequately protect you?

Is gonna make the whole thing a bit more rigid ( miatas in softtop feel like a wet noddle) and also much more quiet. And yeah a roll bar is what saves your noggin when you roll a miata

I can only imagine a girls face if you were to pick her up in an NA miata LMAO

>uhh on second thought let me call jaquan he has a real car

someone post that image
>you don't feel safe in the miata but that's part of the fun

as somebody who has a gf and a miat, women fucking love it

you can daily a fucking elise.

>women fucking love it
oh the echo chamber of Veeky Forums literally everyone besides this gay ass board thinks miatas are for women

>Want to buy an NA miata
>Everywhere I go I get told they're all breaking down now and if I buy one I'll likely have to fix a lot
>If I get an NB I literally lose half of the appeal because no pop up headlights
At this point I may as well just get an MR2 that I'll probably end up dying in

NAs are perfectly reliable just don't be a retard by buying an NA6. NA8 master race

Think about it:
Most women like dicks, and guys have dicks. Does this mean dicks are for women? What if the girl has a dick? Does this still mean dicks are for women?

The same day I got my '99 NB a cute girl drove by me in the parking lot and yelled "Nice Miata!"

Also they tend to be popular with elder, affluent men and women almost equally. The local Miata club here is almost entirely straight, married seniors. I find the gay stigma to be an exclusively west coast thing, since there's a large amount of openly gay people and the car is one of the only cheap convertibles worth owning, practically designed for Cali weather and roads. The entertainment media is mostly based in that part of the country so when they need a platform for some actors to make fun of gay people they pick on a cheap, low-slung convertible that will stay just out of the shot but allow several people to prance about on top of it.

Then other countries ( looking at you, Straya) jump on the American media trope bandwagon and just give every gay character or representation of a gay person a Miata or a Subaru wagon.

A Miata is capable of handling feats that would put most production cars straight into a wall. Properly modified they are incredibly fast and cheap as dirt. Of course the American media machine that constantly tries to influence the feeling and opinions of the public would manufacture a meme in an attempt to depopularize a foreign automobile that just happens to be the best-selling sports car of all time. Don't buy a Miata, that's """"GAY""""", buy the new Chevolet Suburbalade EXT 2500, now with 9 row seating so all two of your children can ride to school or the mall in opulent plastic-clad comfort.

can somebody take that image of the MR2 typing about how snap oversteer is BS (the one based off of that spider) and make one with a miat typing this exact pasta

this is the pic

I love my Miata and it gets compliments on the regular by young females and old citizens.

Get fucking angry lemao

i'm dailying nb and i'm fine. If you're willing to accept all of the downsides (two seats, no space), it's gonna be best daily ever
>tfw you feel sleepy in the winter as you ride your 10km daily college commute through rural areas so you amuse yourself with couple laps of drift on empty roundabout
sometimes i've been wondering "did i made right choice? i switched practical car for toy car", but yes i did. it's fucking amazing as long as you can accept its limitations

the fuck nigga i daily a sport bike im sure you can figure it out

stop caring

Nigga I've fucked 3 girls in the 6 month span owning my sun peeled, lift ticking, rattle making 91 na. That may not be a lot for some people but it's made all the difference for me

And op I daily my 91 in los angeles, it's more than fine. You'll love it. No cons besides the obvious loud ride

Lol lose weight or you will trigger alt right as well

Yes it is great, just enough space for all my hair cutting stuff, but the top will mess up with your hair if you're a big guy.

>miatas in softtop feel like a wet noddle

a stock miata feels like a wet noodle. if you have a bone stock miata with a hardtop, it'll still feel like a wet noodle.

t. soft top miata owner with eibach rear sway bars, koni springs/struts, poly bushings all around.

I dont know why all these people are making a big deal out of highway driving a miata. Its a car, small yes, but its totally capable of driving on the highway just like anything else.

Are you implying that your mods would somehow improve chassis rigidity and not exacerbate the issue?

Bruh you gotta grab a hard top

miatas are & will always be too small to be impressive streetcars

The removable hardtop, being a "clip on" piece, hardly qualifies it as a structural member capable of "stiffening" the chassis. The latches are not designed to transmit any appreciable compressive or tension forces. Any "stiffening", if any, would at best be very minor.

which is why they make great entry level race cars. Nobody is buying a Miata to impress someone else.... on the street. Its a cheap, fun, and easy car to work on

This, the top isn't stressed, it's not structural.
If you want less flex get a strut bar or a cage

In my 94 I turned left through an intersection on a rainy day in 3rd gear going like 15 bc didn't wanna downshift until after I stopped turning in fear of getting sideways

Got sideways anyways
That was fun

>not getting sideways on purpose any chance you can get away with it

Getting sideways is literally the only reason to get a Miata lol

While Miata's are fun to get sideways, they really aren't the best car to actually get sideways with.

The Nissan 240sx holds that title, and shares it with the E36 and 350z

Wow man did you learn all that in need for speed or forza?

Gran Turismo

>350z
>good for anything
lol
240sx needs heavy modifications too

I want to FUCK that miata.

350z comes with an LSD and enough power to get sideways. Im sure you've never been to a grassroots drift event so of course you doubt my post.

240sx doesn't need heavy modifications. weld the diff or throw in an LSD, and coilovers and join a local drift day.

if you want a cool ass drift car with a decent amount of HP, then yes it needs heavy modifying. But if you're a broke boy, you're stuck with banger on their rev limiter of your KA and thats totally fine

>eld the diff or throw in an LSD, and coilovers and join a local drift day.
You just described literally any RWD car including the Miata

the miata, has a shorter wheelbase and is better suited toward circuit racing. Also it barely has enough hp to get sideways which is why whenever you see a stock miata trying to drift,its constantly clutch kicking.

>You just described literally any RWD car

try only welding the diff and getting coilovers for a sn95 mustang and try to actually drift. I've seen it happen and fail hard.

I saw pic related drift and spoke to the owner. He had heavy suspension modifications done to it, to get it sideways.

SN96 = McPherson strut front and solid axle rear, just like an ae86, just like a Volvo 240/740/940
All of these will drift perfectly fine, you're retarded.
"Heavy mods" aka coilovers and adjusting your camber and caster

if they will drift fine why aren't they used more often since they are cheaper to get than an S-Chassis or E36?

Because monkey see monkey do, jap fanboys just want more jap shit so they can be cool.
instagram.com/p/BZ5pK4eAxqT/

>jap fanboys just want more jap shit so they can be cool.

nothing wrong with that, Japan started and made drifting popular. Especially with style.

You don't need that shit, other platforms are just as viable, while being much cheaper.
Drift kids are all retarded, they don't know how to build a set of coilovers from scratch, they don't know how to cut and weld and fabricate, they just buy kits and throw it on and copy everybody else's builds and specs.
It's kinda funny and kinda sad, just a bunch of kids copying eachother and trying to fit in and get clout.

I wasnt talking about the top, i was talking about the suspension mods you listed. Your post seemed to imply that those mods would somehow stiffen the chassis.

as long as they keep car culture alive in some way, its cool to me.

>spams pictures of HELLA TYTE JDM cars drifting
You're one of them man lol
Where's your 240 god machine at?

Currently don't have one, but I did own 91 240sx as my first car, it was bone stock.

But I currently work at a software engineering firm in NYC as well as live here and have no use for a car. As soon as Im done here I'm moving somewhere out west and buying myself a 180sx Type X to thrash on at the track.

i hate to be that guy, but you are basically describing the exact type of person being described except with money

This is exactly what I was expecting you to say, chance that stereotypical JDM hella tyte lifestyle, go get it man

found it

Chase that* kek

I plan on getting a NB when I get my tax return. One question: if I stiffen the chassis with all the braces, change the bushings to poly, get harder motor mounts, stiffer tires, stiffer springs and shocks, and make the engine and exhaust louder, will it scare my passengers?

Stop being so insecure.

if you are a shit driver then yes, no need for mods to do that

>passengers
passenger
>louder exhaust
it's just my opinion as nb owner, but miata has perfect exhaust. quiet enough to be civilized on road yet roaring in primal fashion over 5k rpm

I'll have more than one over time, maybe even two different people may ride in it over the course of years. And I figure an old car probably needs a new exhaust anyway, and a header, and a 40 series flowmaster which sounds awesome on 4 cylinder.

Was mainly wondering if a passenger would notice the difference in harshness compared to normal cars.

You'll die from all the juicy boipussy being thrown at you.

They will notice a difference in harshness completely stock. With harder suspension and poly bushings and a loud pipe you will probably annoy the fuck out of anyone who is not a car person.

Its not a death sentence any more.

>you will probably annoy the fuck out of anyone who is not a car person.

Awesome

>Was mainly wondering if a passenger would notice the difference in harshness compared to normal cars.
It's "sports car" as it is, it's gonna be pretty loud inside with foldable roof, and ride is far from "comfortable" even on stock suspension. You're gonna love it, your passenger will either enjoy harshness or not. it's not uncomfortable by any means, but car definitely feels pretty raw.

i love this feel, it makes me think about all of those nostalgic childhood dreams about being street racer with race car adapted for road use. shit, now when i think about it:
>wanted to ride fast through the city at night in miata since i played nfs underground
>now i'm riding fast through city at night in my miata
i'm living the dream. next step, sportier camshafts

>now i'm riding fast through city at night in my miata

God I can't wait, the real beauty is that without a lot of power you can drive the shit out of it. You seen this dudes nb?: youtube.com/watch?v=jyd5mfwMLIY cammed, and itbs, 170 hp

proper na tuning makes me hard. i'm jelly, not to mention perks coming from power itself, he's drifting over (probably) very grippy track tarmac pretty much effortlessly.

one day i'll make my miata just as cool as this one - though i'm still having a blast even with weakest engine possible. i just bought my mx-5 and i booked my first track visit in two days from now, can't wait to see what it can do when pushed properly

i lost all of my money, but it's best christmas ever

and?

thanks

I bought NB in August. I daily it to work 30km every day and on weekends I have 200km one way trip to my home town.

My car is really stable at high speeds (130km/h) but some friends say that their is not. Buy a good set of tires and an alignment and you should be good. The engine pulls quite strong up to 150km/h but I usually drive at the speed limit because of the gas consumption.

The car is pretty noisy at those speeds. Hardtop helps but is not enough on those long trips for me. Boring highway driving plus noise drives me crazy. So I use headphones and listen to music or an audio book.

The car is good in winter. Heats up pretty fast. Just be conservative with gas pedal around the corners. Or maybe if you are used to RWD cars you don't have to be. It is my first so I'm kinda scared because the rear end did slide away a bit a few times unexpectedly from me.

Good, fun car.

Sure, but it is not ideal. I DD'ed mine for 6 months or so when my commuter shit the bed. I had very few reliability problems and mine has a Megasquirt I'm tuning myself. It is cold or hot based on weather, loud, and easy to get sideways in the wet. It is also a deathtrap by any sort of modern safety standard but lots of old cars are too. NB would be better. That said, nothing beats getting out of work on a beautiful sunny 75 degree day, putting the top down, and driving the long way home for fun.

you'll have the most uncomfortable riding Miata ever so no one will want to be your passenger

well most people at least get good tires, some bracing, and coilovers, the bushings and motor mounts will increase nvh some, but it probably won't be unbearable