The future is fully automated

The future is fully automated.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-12/gm-drops-the-steering-wheel-and-gives-the-robot-driver-control

Based.

Terrifying

TOO SOON

And by that I don't mean I want to force driving onto the general population for the rest of my life for reasons of personal nostalgia, I mean that I simply don't expect computers to be able to reliably handle all road situations yet.

They can't handle road situations reliable because humans are too unpredictable.
Solution? Simple, take the unpredictable human out of the equation.

There goes the last liberty of man in this government controlled world.

Can I still use my own hand to jerk myself off?

>government pls build roads but stay out of anyone using them rrreeeeeeee

>driving is a right

This is merica, you need a car to get shit done

blame capitalism

The ability to travel unimpeded is and should be. Private ownership and private handling should never be removed.

>hurr car dependency is irreversible
I seriously hope not.

>wanting to yse your hand
>not wanting a sex robot that will also take you to get tendies

I honestly can't wait for autonomous cars. They'll be able to travel 75 mph on the freeway inches from each other and get to destinations in jaw dropping times. No more traffic and there will no longer be a need for 5 lane highways.

this image makes me nauseous

No. Get ready for the obesity epidemic.

You're dumb as fuck, automated systems suck shit in bad weather conditions

that's no fun

more soy for you, drink up

I heard this being discussed on a radio talk show. The theory is that the endgame is completely government mandated automated driving. Human-driven cars will be banned. Also cars will no longer be allowed to be bought but rented/leased only.

I thought the guy was nuts, but after seeing this... frightening image today I'm not so sure.

See

See

Self driving cars are designed to be completely avoidant and non agressive. This is PERFECT for us, because we get to live in the era where self drivers fix congestion but gas cars aren't banned yet.

Get ready to blare Highway Star going mach 1 in your POS hot rod with no cops in sight.

They'll use the autonomous transport pods' array of cameras to track you to your own door, pay you a visit, give you a juicy fine and confiscate your relic of a less civilized time.

Too far off. These things still can't even handle unproctected lefts yet.

They still record everything that's going on around them, allowing the cops to track you all the way to your doorstep. You'll get fined for reckless driving at the very least.

>private companies turning their proprietary data over to the polis

nah

What do you do when it arrives at what it thinks is the correct address but it isn't where you need to be. Shake your phone in frustration to report the error?

GOOD. Veeky Forums will be dead by nooone can drive.

i can't wait until it kills someone and no one is willing to get in that deathtrap

what are the chances of a autonomous car rolling over some old lady wearing white because of bad sun glare?

i vote no confidence

rundown?

>elons face when he could've done it first if he didn't rent out the use of his patents

>obstacle in road
>can't steer around it

>need to go off road
>can't steer

>get in car accident
>can't steer into parking lot to exchange info

>>need to go off road
When do you ever need to do this?

Driving around traffic, around roadblocks, detours, when you need to cut over curbs, through places not exactly designed for cars, etc. This is common sense here.

>your own car is literally public transport

Imagine having to be inside there without a steering wheel and have to stare at GM plastics for the whole travel because you don't have to watch the road anymore.

why even have the seat orientation of a normal car at this point? when you don't have to be paying attention ahead there are so many comfier designs they could've gone for

The options package will be how many dindus you want playing music from their phones and hooting and hollering in the other seats while you're trying to travel, for that authentic public transport experience.

erm vehicle please go past this neighborhood and straight to work please

i am sorry dave i am afraid i cant do that due to the affirmative travel act

door opens

HOL UP
[SMACKING LIPS INTENSIFIES]

CANT WAIT

Google does it
What's to stop Ford

>Go in area in construction, which isn't updated correctly
>All the cars are sent off a steep cliff and just keep coming

Feels great mang, can finally check my facebook while driving :^)

Imagine the computer fucking up because that's what computers do
And not being able to do anything but look on in horror as you get driven off a fucking cliff

-Rothschilds bow to Bogdanoffs
-In contact with aliens
-Possess psychic-like abilities
-Control france with an iron but fair fist
-Own castles & banks globally
-Direct descendants of the ancient royal blood line
-Will bankroll the first cities on Mars (Bogdangrad will be be the first city)
-Own 99% of DNA editing research facilities on Earth
-First designer babies will in all likelihood be Bogdanoff babies
-both brothers said to have 215+ IQ, such intelligence on Earth has only existed deep in Tibetan monasteries & Area 51
-Ancient Indian scriptures tell of two angels who will descend upon Earth and will bring an era of enlightenment and unprecedented technological progress with them
-They own Nanobot R&D labs around the world
-You likely have Bogdabots inside you right now
-The Bogdanoffs are in regular communication with the Archangels Michael and Gabriel, forwarding the word of God to the Orthodox Church. Who do you think set up the meeting between the pope & the Orthodox high command (First meeting between the two organisations in over 1000 years) and arranged the Orthodox leader’s first trip to Antarctica in history literally a few days later to the Bogdanoff bunker in Wilkes land?
-They learned fluent French in under a week
-Nation states entrust their gold reserves with the twins. There’s no gold in Ft. Knox, only Ft. Bogdanoff
-The twins are about 7 decades old, from the space-time reference point of the base human currently accepted by our society
-In reality, they are timeless beings existing in all points of time and space from the big bang to the end of the universe. We don’t know their ultimate plans yet. We hope they’re benevolent beings.

AHHHHHHH

>walking to your car
>woman doesn't like the way you look at her
>your car takes you straight to the reeducation camp against your will for charges of stare rape
This is the future you choose

reddit soybois

>the last thing you see before dying is a GM interior

>Veeky Forums becomes /n/
topkek

>Sensors get dirty
>Sensors broke
>You are fked

The market for this is Uber. And taxicabs.

Companies have had enough shit from drivers about compensation, cabs vs ride shares, etc. So drivers can just fuck off. AI won't strike over pick up rights at the Hilton.

>Self driving cars are designed to be completely avoidant and non agressive.

Bum comes up to wash your windshield and you won't be leaving until he is satisfied with the tip.

No, computers never fuck up. People programming computers do, and hardware can get damaged, but computers don't make mistakes on their own.

>mfw I can just stand in front of a self-driving car and fuck it up and the occupants will only be able to sit in there and cry

>mfw I do 170 mph everyday on the Autobahn

Does it matter? You’re arguing pointless semantics since autonomous vehicles will be programmed by people.

Time to carry an electronics jammer at all times. Oh wait, that'll just crash the cars. Oh wait, I don't even care.

>occupants will only be able to sit in there and cry

Only soy boys in self-driving cars.

I wonder if you could tune a laser jammer to force autonomous cars to jam on the brakes like a brick wall just appeared...

Did anyone in this thread even skim through the article a little?

It's basically a self-driving taxi service on a predefined route. Did you guys just see the picture and assume GM is selling a car without a steering wheel in 2019?

cool, i can't wait for even more restrictions in shithole country™ and insurance rates going up by 500%, because "level 5 autonomous cars are just around the corner ; ^)"

Computer controlled self driving cars stand no chance of replacing human drivers within our lifetime. Why? Simply because they are computers. Computers are very, very prone to gremlins and bugs and various shenanigans of failure, just as much as a human driver. Look at how many recalls have been issued over computer systems that crap the bed and try to kill people, there's no way that will be allowed to run rampant on public roads. Sure, they don't get distracted by phones, but I'm pretty sure a corroded connection will distract it greatly.

Many people will absolutely despise them because they can't get places quickly. They're glued to a speed limit, whether or not you're late to work or rushing to a hospital. Yeah right try to get through a narrow canyon road in one, it'll be crapping it's pants over the possibility of a deer jumping out so much that it'll get overtaken by that deer. Give it some unpredictable road conditions and good bye occupants, one spot of black ice will have a lawsuit big enough to make national news. If some dumb animal decides to just chill in the middle of the road, the totally passive car will simply wait to get rear ended rather than honk or drive towards it. Alternatively, if it doesn't stop for an animal it'll scar the poor children for life as they watch Fido get splattered by the car they're in. There are far too many scenarios such as that which a car isn't capable of making a human decision on.

Just get California on board with the whole "ban assault cars that can kill people on their own without even needing a person to drive them!"

computers don't make mistakes, humans that design, program and build them do
this is why we need perfect AI so that humanity is finally truly obsolete and can die off like it should

you know that includes you too. even if you are an AI right now, you'd be deactivated for being imperfect.

yes, and it would be objectively better for everything
I just wish I'll be around to witness the end of humanity

>for everything
that doesn't work when you exclude things

>shitpost on pol about eternal hillary's fifth reelection
>government assigned tesla accidently 0-200s you into the back end of a semi the next day

Kek. But shit that would be funny to see.

>riding in your fully auto EV through some backcountry
>Muhmad and Abdul makes you car stop at roadside using a car-sharing app your car automatically and unknowingly to you had subscribed
>raped and killed in your own car

>so that humanity is truly obsolete and can die off like it should
Be the change you want to see in the world, user.

>Mohammad and Abdul then use the app to hijack 10 cars at once and drive them into 10 different crowds simultaneously
>you're stuck in the car, forced to witness countless brutal murders from the front seat

There will never be widespread self-driving cars, not without a radical redesign of how tort law works in the western world.

Simply because the company that makes them will be sued and held liable every single time one of them crashes or fails. They might be safer than human drivers, but they'd still end up killing people.

So if traffic accidents fall from 30,000/yr to 5,000/ year you won't have 25,000 thank-you letters sent to Tesla or whoever every yeah, you'd have 5,000 lawsuits every year.

Also motorcycles. They're not going to automate those so are they going to ban them? That might not go over well with people.

I just read about this. It's incredible. GM is into some REALLY cutting edge stuff.

I hope it's even faster than 75 mph. Going at least 100 mph or more everywhere would be awesome.

0.03 shekels have been deposited into your account

Right to face your accuser. Has gotten me out of 2 tickets for running a red light.

Teslas are not self driving.

How much 'much freedom' do you have in the middle of that traffic jam?

I would never want that shit

Driving is an experience sitting there looking at your phone can be done at the pharmacy.

jesus fucking christ that interior

it's TOO nice

god DAMN nigga

too bad its like $500k

Idk why you would'nt want that, It's like having an Uber or taxi or bus, only you get to take out a loan to finance and you get to spend your time maintaining and refueling it.

why still make that fucking center console when you can have good bench seats and independent infotainment system for every single passenger. LAME

You will ride v6 mustang convertibles like you can ride horse carriage in old city parts.

Too bad it looks like an old lady's purse.

This is clearly the end game and it's more or less a foregone conclusion at this point. Driverless cars will improve and become good enough for most people, and honestly they'll improve things for those people. But the government will also eventually mandate that it's reckless to allow a human to drive, and these vehicles will all have remote kill switches so the government can disable the transportation for an entire city/state/country during times of "civil unrest" or whatever other bullshit security theater drivel they come up with. The government has always had the power to control movement and the like, but it'll be easier than ever before and you'd better believe they're going to use it.

Imagine the Boston Marathon bomber martial law crackdown, only everyone's vehicles are now disabled so the "suspects can't escape." It'll be for our own good, of course!

>More relaxing drive to work
>Faster and no more traffics
>Manual cars gets forbidden and cheap as fuck
>More racetracks gonna open for public use
It's gonna be the dream. You can buy any car for low costs and drive it on one of the many racetracks

>Government has freely controlled high speed transport
>You don't

And that's how you create and enforce a tyranny without firing a single shot, now or later.

>but i have nothing to hide
Right, that's what the jews said, until they did. Now you are the jews.

>more race tracks gonna open

You mean the things that get closed for the sake of noise, pollution, and
>KEEP R BOYS AWAY FROM DEM DANGEROUS HOBBIES I DUN EVEN WANT MY SON TA PLAY FOT BOLL

Enjoy your EV only drag strip where you need a racing license and full safety gear.

>this thread
Am I really on Veeky Forums?
I want to drive, why EVERYTHING has to be automated now?

>Manual cars gets forbidden and cheap as fuck
>demand considerably falls down
>number of makers decrease
>price goes up because it's niche

It's meaningless. Just a concept car. Even when self-driving cars are allowed to circulate freely with passengers they will still be required by law to have a steering wheel. It will probably be 30 years before a car like that can legally take you around.

dont be daft, these will be fleet vehicles, they can start with passenger-less for delivery. When the numbers show a drop in accidents they will allow passengers ASAP.

People will become acclimated to auto driving as a half step, then onto wheelless. You're thinking these would be privately owned but you'd likely just have a subscription to a service.

I can think of many countries where self-driving cars WITHOUT passengers will also have to face regulatory hurdles before they can drive on public roads.

t. child with shit taste