Can you guys explain the "BMWs are expensive to own, don't buy a used one just lease a new one" meme came from?

Can you guys explain the "BMWs are expensive to own, don't buy a used one just lease a new one" meme came from?
How exactly are they these money sinks? It just doesn't make sense to me. Compared to 'reliable' brands on carcomplaints they generally don't have any more complaints than them.
I don't own one but I'm looking to possibly get a 3 series. I only drive like 15k miles a year and I don't beat the ever living shit out of my car.

So how will it magically cost any more than my Mazda6?

BMW uses cheap shit parts they want you to buy from the dealer when it breaks. You can't even check your own oil as they have no dip sticks.

That's why most people buy older BMWs before they became money grubbing Jews thanks to the Chinese buying shit like the X7.

Add up the maintenance and repairs over 5 years for an average sedan... Now add up the same for your average German sedan. Even when leasing $500 oil changes are normal. Anything is going to be reliable when you dump that much into maintenance and repairs. Most German cars are built to be leased hence why most wealthy people lease them and write as much as they can on taxes instead of keeping around a depreciating money pit.

>Add up the maintenance and repairs over 5 years for an average sedan... Now add up the same for your average German sedan
ummmmmmmm
>3 oil changes per year x5
>replace other fluids once a year
Wow, it only cost like 2000 over 3 years, so expensive

Parts and labor is expensive. If you buy oem supplier parts and do shit yourself it is not expensive. Thats literally all there is to the meme

This gives absolutely no indication as to how many miles were driven, where they were driven, what kind of person was driving, are these all dealer prices for repairs, all brand parts, etc
It's literally meaningless

>$500 oil changes. Says the guy whose never owned a BMW and speaks in memes

Ha ha! Who told you that? Maybe if you have a v12. But what you leave out is that oil changes happen ever 15,000 miles and require 15 quarts of full synthetic for a 330. So $150 bucks every 15,00 miles or Mazda $50 every 3000 miles and you've spent $250 after 15,000 miles.

People who bitch about German car maintenance and repair cost are the same bean counter where em-pee-gee is the main selling point for their cars. If the extra $2-3k more than your shitty Mazda over 5 years is any significant amount money to you, you should be riding a fucking bus instead. Holy shit this place is so fucking depressing and poverty level.

It's expensive because if you don't work on it, people that can, will charge you a premium for the labor involved in this German machine.

If you labor yourself and wrench through the car, it cost as much as typical mid end car maintenance.

>americans and their hysterical frequent oil changing fetish

e46 m3 got like 6/10 in handling on doug score lmao

Its fucking great isn't it?
>better change that oil and filter every 5k goy

>friend got an older BMW 5 series
>car needs tons of work
>he always talks about how expensive it is
>ask him what's so bad
>tells me he had to pay $400 for an oil change because he couldn't do it himself and most third party places won't touch bmw's
>laugh every time I take my car into a Toyota dealer for my $30 synthetic oil change

:^)

it got a 7/10, the same as porsche 997 911 turbo.

Do they use a worse kind of engine oil than us superiors in Europe?

Jiffy did my bmw for $25.

My dad is a mechanic at an indie BMW shop
The stories he tells me about how absolutely retarded some of the designs are on BMWs, specially the electricals are hysterical.
BMWs are the worst enemy of "wrench it yourself bro". Don't fall for the memes

How often do you change your oil?
I'm willing to bet you're doing it waaaay too often.

>Parts and labor is expensive. If you buy oem supplier parts and do shit yourself it is not expensive. Thats literally all there is to the meme
This man knows what he is talking about, listen to him.
t. guy who owned a BMW as a student. In fucking Europe.

>BMWs are the worst enemy of "wrench it yourself bro".
Bullshit. In 8 years my Bimmer saw the inside of a shop once. And that was body work to fix a (rather nasty) dent.

what year is your BMW?
forgot to add, NEWER* BMWs are the worst enemy of "wrench it yourself bro".

Can't argue that much when it comes to newer ones, but show me a premium brand that still makes cars that are easy to wrench.
New Bimmers are not impossible tho.

I do most maintenance and repairs on my 2009 5 series and i'm not even very tech savvy

we're talking 2002 models here with the retarded designs. Not brand new models.

I often have to help my dad by literally going online to help him find schematics or solutions to otherwise trivial problems that end up with him having to take the entire day to change a simple sensor or to drop the entire tranny just to change a parking light sensor.....

maintenance /=/ labour

I really don't get this

car mechanics are always expensive all of the time for every car
it may not be as egregious as geek squad but they charge a markup on all parts and charge out the ass for labor
yes the yurop premium is worse but the price is already unacceptable to begin with

around 2002 and so** not even newer models

F30 has the best 3 series styling yet.

They are unreliable pieces of shit thats why

I love my bike but my god its been so bad

>bought this bike after passing my test
>fuel gauge faulty always reading full
>next day I take it out for a proper spin
>out of the driveway and it chugs to a stop
>no idea whats wrong, bearing in mind still newish to bikes
>try everything I can think of to get it to start
>eventually give up and have to call breakdown line
>outcall of £90 to finally determine that the tank was fucking empty even though it was reading full
>need to get the gauge fixed
>costed £200
>failed a few months later again
>guy fixes it for 'free' but has to charge me £30 anyways
>major service due only 4000 miles after I bought it
>£250
>need to get tyres replaced
>£200 each

Fucking unbelievable, should have got a Honda desu. but saying that, it is still no where near as bad as a Triumph.

Agree on that. Access is a bitch sometimes in e46s for example, still very doable imho.

doesn't mean some brands don't have overly complicated snowflake designs and such

by all means, drive whatever you want, its a free country. Just don't pretend that because "mechanics gotta eat too bro" say, a Toyota will take the same amount of labour than a Bimmer

>price is already unacceptable to begin with
nah you can find 10 yr old BMWs for chump change because at the 100k mark all those wonderful electrical problems that turn the car into a money pit suddenly appear. Or so I've been told

Changed the thermostat, belts, rear suspension bushings, transmission oil pan, valve cover gasket and other small bits myself on my e60 530.
For electrical faults i do take it to the electrician though.

No, they are just worse people.

If you’re going to buy a 3 series, make sure you don’t get the base model. Otherwise you’re just a massive brandwhoring broke piece of garbage. Fully loaded or die, nigga.

>or so i've been told

See, this is the problem with the unreliability meme, sure some BMWs are shit like the E65 7 series, but many of them are very very good, IF you take care of them

For example, the E39, except for the cooling system being a brittle piece of shit (which isn't expensive or hard to replace), most of the available engines are really solid, and so is the chassis, many many many people have taken these cars to 500.000km+ with ease and normal maintenance

However, if you buy a thrashed E39 from some albanian, it's gonna have problems

I personally know many BMWs in the hundreds of thousands of kilometers that look and work very well, just take care of it and dont buy a shitheap

BMW makes them purposefully hard to repair and spare parts are outrageously over priced especially on M models.

BMW engineers go out of their way to make everything a pain in the ass.