angryghoust.tumblr.com
twitter.com/DwarfDev
vidyadev.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/LKTheDev
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

3D artist looking for an ideaguy.

guy looking for a team of artist, programmer, music bro and idea guy

dh.mundus.xyz/Lynda

What are the funnest "simple" (whatever that means to you) combat system concepts?

I was trying to figure out something earlier today where you could parry and riposte enemy attacks but I can't figure out how to make it any more interesting.

i think this is the most correct it can be, I tried to avoid doing it this way but it wasn't so bad
this has the camera inside the mirror and it controls a dummy model that follows the player unit and is facing the opposite direction
ignore the text on the mirror

>you COULD HAVE made
No. They all have art and some of us are not artists.

And you can't expect agdg to make anything when the place is filled with shitposters like
shitposting the same stupid meme for over a year now.

Got a multi shot implemented. The two shooting mods can be switched on the fly.

Finally got past my first milestone today: Making this little fucker move on the grid.

He's supposed to only be able to go as far as the orange part, and the whole blue/orange indicator is supposed to disappear/follow him, but that's for tomorrow.

Been banging my head on the wall for hours to do this.

tweening stuff is nice, but making ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING in your UI waggle?
i can see it being fun and nice for an hour but after that?

the first steps on your game dev journey

good luck

>unarmed
>weapons

Why the fuck do you need weapons? I thought you were making some animal crossing style game?

its easy to disable, I can tone it down later if I need to
most of it was added by default because I use the same text prefab for everything

for gathering supplies in the wilderness and defending yourself

Why is the mirror skewed? Mirrors in real life don't skew based on perspective.

>Say no to the garbage anime edition
>> Play Demo Day 16 itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16
>> Upcoming Mecha Jam itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid

You can't shit talk the anime fags if you still put itch.io in the OP.

what engine is this?

Unity

-------- AGDG Weekly Recap --------
Fill out the form to be a part of the weekly progress recap.
Submissions will be accepted for at least the next 36 hours.

----[ Recap ]----
Game:
Dev:
Tools:
Web:
Progress:
+ ...

Site: recap.agdg.io
Last recap: recap.agdg.io/view?id=17092

daily reminder that final form of any yesdev is nodev. if you want to stay yesdev you shouldn't attempt to finish the game

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Artist Quest
Dev: Canus
Tools: Not interested
Web:
Progress:
+ lots of interest from programmers
+ lots of good luck

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Khryse
Dev: Khrysedev
Tools: UE4
Web: twitter.com/khryse_dev
Progress:
+ Added input buffering
+ setting up combos
+ cleaned out web-swinging
+made modular building tiles
+ added robots for beating made by other user

Get a life.

question how should I determine the location of a hit spark for a attack with a large hitbox?

also I need to make some actual progress to report on in the need 12 hours

not sure what you mean by skewed, I have the mirror camera moving now based on the angle of the main camera, maybe that helps?
I don't think I can get it exactly right without sacrificing visibility of the character

----[ Recap ]----
Game: The Jackal
Dev: AngryGhoust
Tools: Game Maker 1.4, Paint.NET, SAI
Web: angryghoust.tumblr.com
Progress:
+ New sprite for the blade weapons
+ Redone parts of the hud
+ New design for fodder enemy
+ Implemented a new toggleable shot mode

I think he means this.
I don't mind it personally, but whatever.

A week of coding
----[ Recap ]----
Game: Petite Witches
Dev: Dwarfdev
Tools: Godot, Krita
Web: twitter.com/DwarfDev
Progress:
+ battle system cleanup
+ add mising battle options
+ small bugfixes here and there
+ a bunch of little polishing features

picture in the mirer looks like it's not a mirror but a display and a camera

Forgot image lol

Is javascript a "good" (easy) language to make a game without engines?
I know you guys love C++ but it looks complicated as fuck

what the fuck? Im sitting on my deck drinking coffee and reading agdg when shit fell from the sky and carpet bombed my table. I thought it was a flock of birds, but on closer inspection it doesnt look like any bird shit I've ever seen before, and it smells like people shit.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Space Dementia
Dev: rez
Tools: SFML/C++
Web: rezydev.tumblr.com
Progress:
+ Separated cloth rendering logic
+ Updated boss with new looks
+ Changed wall kick again
+ Started doing new map elements

ah yeah
If I do it the correct way you can't see the character since it's flat
I was going to add a few more effects to make it look more cartoony so it blends in with the rest of the background, so maybe it won't matter much in the end

Like I said, I don't mind it. I think the fudging of the effect looks a lot better than if it were an actual mirror. You do you, boo.

----[ Recap ]----
Game:Kick-in'
Dev:Kickindev
Tools:GM:S
Web:kickindev.tumblr.com
Progress:
+ Began progress on Tonfa, a late-game enemy I'd like to have at a solid stage before next demoday.
- Discovered a few ways of generic-ifying enemy AI code that unfortunately don't work as well as I was hoping. Oh well, I gave it a shot.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: SFTL : Slightly Faster Than Light
Dev: AZ
Tools: Godot
Web: vidyadev.tumblr.com/
Progress:
+ Unit combat
+ Units will break doors when they can't open them
+ Behavior trees
- Wrote slightly faster than "life" in last recap
- Implementing behavior trees took me way longer than excepted

the behavior tree is more for the global AI that controls enemy ship, the crew are still simple FSMs.

----[ Recap ]----
Game:Mech Game I need to find a name for
Dev:Tomo Ge
Tools:UE4, Blender, GIMP
Web:
Progress:
+ Added a fleeing state for enemies so you can now play hide and seek
+ Fixed the lock-on aiming so that it can't shoot at impossible angles anymore
+ Added a buffer for the Lock-On so that it will always cycle between every enemy in range before going back to the first one locked
+ Might have for the first time an enemy design that isn't complete garbage
+ The quest for eternal cleanup continues
+ Projectiles will auto activate/deactivate their children components (e.g. particles)
+ Fixed missiles so that they properly collide now
- Didn't try modelling said design, it might actually suck
- No idea how I actually fixed the missiles. Then again, no idea why they weren't colliding in the first place.
- No tangible content

So I want to develop a function where if blue ball.movement is X then he is allowed (able) to walk to whatever squares his movement allows him to reach. And then the squares that he can not walk to, would turn a different color or something. So for example if his movement is 2, he can walk to square 7 and 11 and 8, but not 2 (because a rule is that he can not walk diagonally and he does not have enough movement to get to 2 without moving diagonally which is forbidden).

Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to develop some sort of super advanced algorithm? I was never good at math in school so I'm thinking I might be a little bit in over my head here with this project

I mean that he can not walk to square 1 without moving diagonally sorry.

Part and parcel!

You need 10 minutes of thinking and 2 loops to do that.

----[ Recap ]----
Game:Devil Engine
Dev:shmoopdev
Tools:GMS, Photoshop, Aesprite
Web: shmoopdev.tumblr.com
Progress:
+Most of level 3 arted
+Most of level 3's pattern done
+ゲームを日本語に翻訳
+Reworked JP Font rendering, added prompt for language select for upon save initialization and menu option to change language
+The boss warning now fades if the player or a powerup is behind it
+Expanded statics tracking to keep track of individual runs instead of just lifetime
-Art design of boss 3 undecided
-JP demo release at the mercy of Doujin site

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Sweet Fukushu
Dev: LK
Tools: Monogame, Photoshop
Web: twitter.com/LKTheDev
Progress:
+ Reworked the global variable handler
+ Made so that I could place sound effects in the levels
+ Created a event with a cutscene and a couple of new animations
- Realized a couple of voices in the game is pretty shit, removed and redid them

A for loop right? I figured I would need that. I look into learning more about those.

Have you ever programmed anything before?

No sir can't say I have.

I would buy it and not use the patch.

I think you need to learn some programming fundamentals before you try to do that.

You can loop from 1 to 25, checking the distance from each tile to the player and changing the tile status/color/whatever if it's close enough.

JS is definitely one of the easiest languages to get in to, and it's often the first language that is recommended for new programmers. It's absolutely horrible when it comes to learning general good practices about programming, but if you just want to learn the basics, (granted, the things you learn from JS often don't cross-over to other languages, but still) it's fine.

C++ would definitely be in the harder end of the languages to learn, but you'd learn better practices from it, and the things learned would very much apply to generally any language you'd want to use afterwards. Granted, it'd take a WHOLE lot more time to learn it "properly", than it would to learn JS, so JS is better for an immediate result.

C++ as a first language is often pretty hardcore for newcomers, and not many will be able to deal with that kind of difficulty for their first language.

t: C++ programmer for 2 or so years, and I'm only just lately beginning to feel like I'm actually adept in it.

>you need 2 loops
You do not need any loops for that. You are making the algorithm needlessly slow for no reason. It can be solved in O(n) where n is the number of moves.

What engine & language are you working with?

And you're making it too complex and optimizing before anything whatsoever has been implemented. This calculation needs to happen once per turn or every time your movement ability changes, and even if it ran a hundred times per frame it would still not affect your performance at all.

i want to die

Godot, GDScript.

Speaking of JS does anyone know of js GUI libraries?

>optimizing
It's called logical thinking, not optimizing. Don't be a retard and learn some math.

moveTo, moveFrom = piece to go to - 1, location of the ball - 1 // You should have made your grid start from 0 and not 1 so here we correct for that.

x1 = moveTo % 5
y1 = floor(moveTo / 5)
x2 = moveFrom % 5
y2 = floor(moveFrom / 5)

distance = absolute(x1 - x2) + absolute(y1 - y2)

Distance represents the number of moves it'd take to get from one location to another.

Make game before.

Explain how you can color the appropriate tiles with this without looping through the tiles.

smooth tile collision makes no fucking sense

He can do that on the draw call to the tile, thus adding 0 loops. To change a color value of an object, if his implementation is that retarded, it'd take one loop, not two. There are zero situations in which two loops are appropriate.

>draw call to the tile
I don't know what you're using but my tiles are added into a vertex mesh and the gpu happily renders that without any further action on my part besides a single call to draw it.

The "draw call" in my case would have to be a new call specifically for the tiles in range, in which I would either create overlay tiles on the appropriate positions or add a color value to the vertex buffer, either way I'd need to do it only once when the movement context changes.

>There are zero situations in which two loops are appropriate.
>what are 2D arrays

Which videogame has inspired/influenced you the most? Often overlaps with your favorite videogame but not necessarily. Also doesn't have to be the game you're trying to emulate/ripoff on your gamedev journey.

>>There are zero situations in which two loops are appropriate.
>>what are 2D arrays
Not necessary there either, but the sentence was in the context of his situation. There are situations in the entire field of programming where two loops are appropriate. There are zero in his situation where two are appropriate. You knew exactly what the context was, so stop trying to tangentialize.

>waste time coding something
>can't get any idea how to use it

System Shock

Doom, most of Capcom's older games, and a lot of Nintendo's older games.
I want to eventually try to make games on par with those cozy black box NES launch titles.

my game has the great feel of a mario
the elegant design of a tetris
the impressive AI of a pacman
and the groundbreaking experience of a space invaders
loli rape simulator

OP, if you're mad because someone stole your waifu we can rescue her. In the meantime I drew you a new one to soothe the needs.

I AM talking about the context of his situation. He doesn't even have a game so it's impossible for either of us to know exactly how it would work, but I'm assuming it would be an actual game and not some hypothetical situation on a paper.

That's a really ugly fetal-alcohol-syndrome girl.

Assuming you're the dude just starting out on their tactics game in unity, don't try to overthink things.

You're making a 2D game in unity. It's going to be blazingly fast even if you had to loop over every tile just to figure out which ones to highlight. Just implement it in a way that you understand, so it's easier to modify in the future. You can always make it faster later if needed.

Something like starting from the player's position, then iterating from x - 2 to x + 2, and y - 2 to y + 2 in two nested loops. Then just check if the loop's x/y is more than 2 off from the player's x/y.

Guilty Gear Xrd and Pikmin inspire me in how visually unique both of them look.

Pokémon Red

why don't we get customized anime fas waifu in the ops instead of the moeblob shit all the time

>expecting /agdg/ to create something

i nominate this anime girl for our mascot

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Unnamed Pixel Platformer
Dev: Anonymous
Tools: C++, Code::Blocks, SDL2, Aseprite, Tiled
Web: N/A
Progress:
+ Huge menu refactor, much more sensible now
+ Implemented a new attack (yet again), no sprites yet though
+ Fixed bugs in controller handling

Then it's not necessary for him to use two for loops and it'd cause the program to run slower unless his compiler makes his two for loops into one unrolled non-loop, which is unlikely. Clearly he's not using a matrix though, because he's given his 5x5 grid numbers from 1 to 25. The only way this comes about is through an implementation as a generic array. You don't get the previous length added onto your index with a 2d array for no reason.

>he doesn't have a game
Stop trying to direct focus onto him. You're the one saying stupid shit without knowing he's stupid. The other user knows he's stupid.

>expecting animefags to create something
You're right, I shouldn't have. My bad.

90% of actual games on here are anime, apply yourself user.

Next week I'll have a recap...

What would be the simplest game engine to use for a top down puzzle/adventure game with bite sized 2D "action stages".

>you're the one saying dumb shit!
>btw two for loops will make the program run slow

>he's given his 5x5 grid numbers from 1 to 25
You're reading his example as if it's the game, while it's more than likely just his way of explaining what he means with the concept. But like I said, he doesn't have a game, so the correct way to solve his problem doesn't exist, and even if it did I doubt what you're saying would be the right way to do it.

>Something like starting from the player's position, then iterating from x - 2 to x + 2, and y - 2 to y + 2 in two nested loops. Then just check if the loop's x/y is more than 2 off from the player's x/y.

You lost me already dude. I've never made a loop before. The only way I could solve this issue using my current knowledge I think is by making a million pre-made if statements like so

>If Unit.position = 13 and movement 2 then
square3 is allowed, square 8 is allowed, square 7 is allowed, square 9 is allowed,
square 11 is allowed, square 12 is allowed, square 14 is allowed, square 15 is allowed,
square 17 is allowed, square 18 is allowed, sqaure 19 is allowed, square 23 is allowed

etc. But that sounds a bit inefficient, although it would work I guess.

Also, I'm not the guy you mentioned. I use Godot.

Additionally, maybe it sounds like I'm waiting to be spoonfed the entire solution in code, but in reality I was hoping I'd be able to solve this on my own, and if I don't get spoonfed, I'll have to do that.

GameMaker

Also, fuck you for stealing my idea

Cute Edition

fcuking programmers, stop shitting the thread with your nodev stuff

who got dat progress /agdg/?

>I've never made a loop before.

I'd like to post the progress of my game but I would be banned instantly

it's retards user, not programmers, they are not programmers.

Go learn loops for fuck's sake, it's one of the most basic programming concepts and you're going to need to use them CONSTANTLY if you want to make games. Here's a for loop:

for (var i=0; i

>i++
>not ++i

>not i = i+(i/i)

>claiming an answer doesn't exist just because you're too egocentric to admit you're wrong and two loops aren't needed
>adding exclamation points to my sentences because they don't sound as silly as yours otherwise
Two loops is O(n^2) with double overhead.
One loop is O(n) with half as much overhead.
One loop unrolled is O(1) with no overhead. Compilers unroll single loops for you because it's easy to detect when they're unrollable in a single pass.

where has the gay furry anubis dev gone?

++i is gay.

It's inconsistent with i+=x

>Unnecessary copy assignments in 2017

Just use That's the pseudocode for the pure mathematical function to determine if the player can move or not. You'll need loops eventually, but this problem doesn't need them.

I raise you a myaaaano