/gsg/ - Grand Strategy General

We don't have an official steam or discord group. If anyone posts in the thread about any "official" or not steam or discord groups, promising MP or not, be sure it's a shitposter group known for organizing raids and shitposting in the thread. They are known for false-flagging.

Please take care concerning shitposts.

How fares your empire, /gsg/?

This day in history, 23rd of October:

42 BC - Roman Republican civil wars: Second Battle of Philippi - Brutus's army is decisively defeated by Mark Antony and Octavian. Brutus commits suicide.
1861 - President Abraham Lincoln suspends the writ of habeas corpus in Washington, D.C. for all military-related cases.
1942 - During WW II, Britain launches major offensive at El Alamein, Egypt
1981 - US national debt hits $1 trillion
2001 - The Provisional Irish Republican Army of Northern Ireland commences disarmament after peace talks
Random Country Picker
orph.link/random

>News
CK2 DD 10/23
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-72-reflections-of-a-dynasty.1051663/

EU4 DD 10/17
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/1050634

>Archive (mods only)
mega.nz/#F!plMxFYTB!sn9MTrvJ0tYjWSHgM8CZow

>Where to get these games
hastebin.com/raw/moqugasume

>Mods
>> READ THIS FIRST.
pastebin.com/cCdcev76

>>[EU4] - /gsg/ and Taxes v0.2 - 12/10/2017
pastebin.com/XUtVVm3k

>>[HoI3] - Flavormod 1.1.2
pastebin.com/7ZBm2K3V

>>[CK2] - After The End
github.com/notalbanian/postapoc

>>[V2] - Historical Project Mod 0.3.9.1 - 13/10/2017
pastebin.com/66gpxbKk

>>[V2] - Music Mod
pastebin.com/UxQnvV3Y

>>[V2] - Napoleon's Legacy v0.3.1.7
pastebin.com/sN1g69sr

>>[V2] Alternative Flag Pack V10
pastebin.com/PRQH8vcV

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsefire
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Multumim Capitane

don't post here, he made the thread too early

You have 5 seconds to name your favourite grand strategy game or else i'll shoot

Nth for assfaggotry

EU:Rome

none
I haven't played the games in more than two years

Is this a believable world

Multumim Capitane
Victoria revolutions

friendly reminder that people literally stopped playing these games after they received the proper psychiatric medication
it isn't too late to get help

>psychiatric (((medication)))
ah yes

Should I mod Vicky 2 or just jump in?

inb4 someone posts Darkest Hour
This is Iwo Jima
It's 24km^2
You can put 100,000 soldiers on Iwo Jima
Each man would be occupying an area of 2cm
>Ignore Darkest Hour posters

Do you have all the expansions?
If so vanilla is fine but you certainly wouldn't be missing anything if you install HPM right away.
Comes down to if you prefer doing vanilla first to compare/contrast with modded.

You can do that in every game though, and unless you continually ship supplies in they'll all die to attrition.
HoI4 fags BTFOwned pwned and blown the fuck out.

you can do that in literally any dumbass mapgame though

You can do that in every game

Ya, I have everything. I think I will go Vanilla first.

>every game doesn't have stack limits
mm ok sweety
thats why chat gamers like me stick with
the operational art of war

somebody please explain to this man the wonder of buildings with multiple floors

I'm learning the operational art of war btw.

look at all these (You)s
believe it or not. not every GSG has microscopic island or a lack of stacking limits or unlimited logistics

>one of the most critical locations of the Pacific Theatre has a disproportionate amount of provinces compared to other islands to represent the battle

Ok?

>most critical locations of the Pacific Theatre
A.K.A another irrelevant island you fucking burgerclap.

it's the size of the island you silly goose
in the original hearts of iron map and the e3 map the province
is depicted as the entire south volcanic islands chain
which is still only 33km^2 but at least they tried to make it seem dressed in proportion
with the rest of the earth

>buttmad europoor angry that their shithole country had to be bailed out in WW2
It's ok guys, you don't owe us anything really. Just doing our job.

It would honestly be a lot more accurate if it was like HoI3, where you had to marine invade the island. The whole issue was not being able to dislodge the Japs, making it a two province island completely removes this as you just take half and then push into the other half.

In what game?

Without British strategic and tactical bombing the entire continent would be run by power mad German bureaucrats today.

Yeah if the brits didn't kill women and children (due to their tiny dicks) after ussr and america had already won the war by 1943 i would be speaking german now.

honestly this
effective historical analysis desu

US didn't do shit compared with the USSR and China
Literally the anglo world contribution to the defeat of the Axis was getting run out and sneaking back in when the Jerries were out fighting fires

Without Britain single handedly liberating Libya and Italy D-day would have been even more of a failure than the Yanks already made it.
Had it been entirely Commonwealth troops jt would have been a roaring success.

But it is run by power mad German bureaucrats only difference is these ones have (((their))) blessing whereas the alternative didn't.

>British only stop getting BTFO by Germany when tailing America around like a puppy following its master
>This is spun as "single-handed" victories entirely by Britain
The rest of the western allies despised the British high command (particularly Montgomery) because they routinely obstructed real commanders like Patton in order to scoop up easy victories to make it seem like Britain was actually contributing something and getting back at the Jerries
This was unironically the British policy in the late war
honestly pathetic

>American education
It only seems that way to you because we invented radar and decryption, so we knew exactly where the enemy was and how to achoeve such great victories over them whilst Americans simply ground themselves down in foolhardy pyrrhic victories.

Americans who think they won the war are like Russians who think they did purely because of the casualties. You were a good meat shield, but it wad British ingenuity that actually won it.

>implying the good guys won world war 2
why are there so many bluepilled idiots in gsg

>limey does le 'american education' meme while being dead wrong about something
classic
>what is the Tizzard mission
US had radar before we even joined the war, due largely to UK giving it to us
Also
>Americans who think they won the war are like Russians who think they did purely because of the casualties
pic related
>lose more bombers
>lose more fighters
>lose more personnel
>kill fewer enemy planes
>"yeah America was good meatshield for us lol"
I fucking hate British people we should have fought with Hitler

NAZISM is good, but GERMANS are bad. This is not a difficult concept.

We lost more planes because we actually fought in the war, unlike Americans who just clsimed victory after doing nothing.

You didn't even best the Japs, the Soviets did.

Now you're just baiting
This is literally 'if you kill your enemy, they win' tier logic

Germans are fine. They kept to themselves for most of history and the moment they get involved in world politics everyone hated on them for purely hypocritical reasons

I've been baiting from the start, my man. My opening post was a joke about the EU and s bomber Harris meme combined to garner (You)s.
Yanks truly are thick as pig shit.

>I've been baiting from the start, my man
I guess I have to admit you really had me going there.
I just really, really hate the English.

Is the CIA funding IRA again?

As I you, Seppo.

only worthwhile thing the IRA ever did desu

They're fucking doing it again. Goddamn.

oops I meant CIA

WW3 lads, let's go

Is my dream of playing as Liberia in Victoria 2 and receiving African-American immigrants finally going to be realized?

Favelocide and Liberiums releases when?
>conquer all of west africa
>make it all kangs

>100% White Anglo, no immigration allowed
>8th in industry in the world

I don't think they fit the leaf flag anymore.

Do any Q**b*c**s still exist? Because if so it's still leaf tier.

what's going on with Labrador&Newfoundland?

I didn't build tank corps because I forgot it was more efficient to build light arbor corps and upgrade them to medium, so I waited to queue units until I had researched medium tanks. It was an oversight on my part, but since I'm not trying to do absolute min-max here it's alright.

And yeah, I probably will lose to the Soviets, but that's okay. It's a 1933 start so their IC is double what mine is, and that means I'm probably inevitably fucked anyhow. This game is really just meant to test how universal medium tank support brigades work out, and to see if I can manage to potentially find a way to use them without crippling my war economy with upgrade costs.

Which mod is this?

r8 these Royal Navy ship names.

ill check

They're independent. They have like 100k people in there.

Cold War Enhanced.

What the fuck is that flag?

it's from the V for Vendetta comics

Yeah but they're only 100% in some provinces, not all of them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsefire

I'm posting an SS-20 Saber in honour of the defunct East vs West until we get a good Cold War game.

Oh, I forgot I still have this.

He was correct in that statement, but it was still a morally black act.

Italians about to fix the Cold War problem.

>can't form alt-Israel until 1970
Why even live?

How does this France make you feel, user?

what the fuck

With the surrender of the French troops that were cut off in the Netherlands, in order to defend Luxembourg, several divisions had to be pulled from their posts elsewhere in France, especially to the south and from the "unbreakable" Maginot line, in order to futilely protect their fourth-rate ally. This provided an opening.

Although Hoepner had said it was simply impossible to breach the Maginot, he is soon proved wrong. Though the Fuhrer and Manstein had planned to outflank the line entirely, it's soon realized that the number of divisions pulled from its defense was significant enough to attempt a breach.

Thus, while forces holding Luxembourg outflank and strike at Liege from the rear and Rommel begins his whirlwind push into Belgium, seizing Brussels within just three days, an all-out assault is begun on Strassburg. With just two fronts on the offensive the commander of the assault, General Brand, believes the attempt futile, but he is soon shown the true power of universal tank support. With all French forces elsewhere occupied defending the sudden onslaught into Belgium (for if Belgian divisions are forced to surrender there truly will be no hope for continued French defense) and fully twenty-five divisions still at half strength or less from the massive bloodletting that was the Luxembourgian defense, there is no support to provide for the embattled defense of Elsass. Stukas dive-bomb the Maginot's formidable bunkers and cave in their view ports, collapse anti-air defenses, and harass enemy troop positions until, finally, the French are forced to retreat as German infantry advances unchecked.

A shocked Brand finds himself the victor. Although he is now under attack from three sides and there can be no hope of holding the territory, he does not need to; his men sap the bunkers, spike their artillery, and retreat a few days later. "They cannot repair the damage," he wrote to Hoepner, "and the way through Alsace will remain open."

Perfect. Well, they're shit just because I like France, but it's not bad. An independent Brittany makes some sense, Normandy is a little weird but w/e, and you accurately modeled the fact that Vichy France was actually an Occitan separatist movement driven by Gnosticism.

Does DH have the option to destroy fortifications when you take control?

NEW ZEALAND ARRIVES TO HELP

It does it automatically. All content of a province except for its infrastructure (and I think airfields and ports) are automatically reduced to 0 when taken, partially to represent the original owners sabotaging them upon retreat, and partially to represent province damage from the battle. So that level 10 fort just went to 0, and it would take probably a full 3-4 months of no damage to repair it to 10, meaning Strassburg is going to stay wide-open to an offensive.

hmm

>He thinks it isn't actually Occitania
In Kaiserreich does Britain get split up into meme states if Germany conquers it as well?

Fuck off Anglo bitch

over already huh

So what changes have been made to CommieMod to make it unfucked

white men

>that flag
Those Cathars should have learned the first time. Also yes, Kaiserreich allows you to release a lot of meme states.

Despite Gamelin's assurances, everything has gone wrong for the French. Even in the depths of winter, defending static positions in a blizzard, they lost to the Germans with horrific casualties. Indeed, the French have not won a single battle (save the retreat of Brand from Strassburg, but this after he had already accomplished his strategic objectives), and despite Gamelin's increasingly shrill claims that the Belgians will hold, it is less than a month from the initial invasion before King Leopold's government is forced to surrender, wiping out desperately-needed Belgian support for the French army.

With seven additional divisions tasked to Strassburg in a desperate attempt to protect it against a potential German onslaught without any protection from its broken and sapped Maginot defenses, and with all Belgian divisions now retreating, disarmed, toward their occupied homeland, the French military establishment gives up hope. They no longer see a chance for victory; such is the strength of the German forces at the line, and such their own weakness. Fighting with interwar weaponry, virtually no tanks, and ancient artillery pieces, all French forces are outdated, and most are ill-trained and understrength from constant losses to the German advance. They, like the Poles, have been forced to learn Germany's new method of exhaustion warfare: constant pressure until their divisions break. Such would be impossible had the nations a parity of forces, but France has been embarrassed by the Germans.

Hey AARnon, are you using just regular DH or another mod?

name a better startdate than 1081

>calling allies

Rommel, who has been given strategic command of the assault in the north, coordinates with the leader of the southern theater, von Blomberg, to maintain pressure across the line and to prevent French forces from defending a schwerpunkt, a critical point that could stall the German advance. Thus, while Rommel assaults in the north and encircles the French near Calais, Blomberg gives orders to put major pressure on the Maginot.

As predicted, with its bunkers in ruins, Strassburg falls again to a German assault within just a few short days of combat. Following the French retreat, German forces in Strassburg, now outflanking their enemies' defensive positions at Metz, begin a strike coordinated by Lt. General Heinrici, with Stuka support, to occupy Metz.

Although the assault near Paris is most desperate and requires the most troops for defense, neither can the disorganized and disheartened French entirely abandon the Maginot, as the German OKH is entirely aware. By assaulting the Maginot successfully they not only send a message about the efficacy of the Wehrmacht, but also force the French divisions in Elssass to stay on the defensive, precluding their retreat to more critical positions surrounding the capital.

Even so, the defeated Strassburg defense appears to be moving north to Paris, and both Heinrici and Rommel are given orders to accelerate their advances. Paris must be occupied as rapidly as possible, to break the French spirit permanently.

You should be behind them, but not that far behind.
Hover over their industrial score to check how much of their score is due to foreign investiment.

This is just DH full with the 1933 start. I have the Communist Germany mod, but I didn't enable it since I wasn't going to be using any of its content.

Is this a bigger meme than independent Greenland?

>implying I called them

Game mechanics called them, event wars insta-call allies.

They have 112 invested in Switzerland, 51 in Austria.

>(save the retreat of Brand from Strassburg, but this after he had already accomplished his strategic objectives)
heh looks like all my triteposting worked you double hyphenating FUCK
What are your plans for the USSR? Are you going to directly annex to the Urals, establish Reichskommissariats, or maintain the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact indefinately with a view to maintaining friendly relations in the East?

After just six days of combat, Lt. General Heinrici captures Metz with barely any loss of life (on the German side, anyway). The Maginot is split down the middle, and in ruins; neither Longwy or Colmar are safe from Germany, which is now able to outflank them on multiple fronts. The international community is shocked not only at French incompetence, but the immense skill of the German Heer, able as it was to pierce the Maginot line, long regarded as an almost literally unbreakable defensive construct, not once, but twice.

What is left of the French military establishment realizes that the defense of the Maginot is no longer viable as more than a stalling measure against Germany, and so begins to recall its forces and place them closer to Paris, particularly at Laon, Dieppe, and Sedan, although as the cornerstone of its northerly defense, Sedan will receive the largest amount of support.

>What are your plans for the USSR? Are you going to directly annex to the Urals, establish Reichskommissariats, or maintain the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact indefinately
I'll definitely invade, and I'll do my best to invade early in 1941 since they have double my IC and it's absolutely critical that I begin the war with them as quickly as possible, while I still have a chance to outperform them, but I honestly don't expect to win. They've had nearly double my IC since 1936 at least, and they haven't been spending all of it on naval upgrades and factories since then. I haven't seen the Soviet army, but it's bound to be positively massive, and even with clear German superiority on a division-to-division level, and even if I get the five tank corps I need operational, invading the Soviets will leave me with an incredibly stretched line. I won't be able to focus overwhelming force anywhere, which might as well be a death sentence for me.

If I somehow manage to win, I'll probably establish the Reichskommissariats, because I don't really want to bother garrisoning the east. The repayments they provide as puppets will help me lay off of producing supplies with my industry anyway, which will be like getting about half the effective IC from the occupation.

>got him to reply even though half of the post was meming on him
god hes such a fucking retard haha holy shit
Apparently weather effects are crucial in DH, and the longer you leave it the more time they have to build units, defences, and tech. In reality the best thing you could do here in my opinion is to blitz France and then move 3 quarters of the army involved in that to the East (Or simply leave garrisons inf French beaches) and invade in February/March 1940, that'll put you right around the perfect time to start a spring/summer campaign and hopefully have them done by Christmas.

Thus far, the most favored tactic of Germany in what is already called the "Second World War" is surprise, followed by overwhelming martial and material superiority. Operation Weseruebung is a continuation of the Fuhrer's preference for shocking, almost artistic action in a way that none of his enemies expect.

In late December, fearing British threat to the critical iron imports Germany receives from Sweden, Hitler requested his generals draft a plan for the invasion of Denmark and Norway, which would allow the fleet to base further north, as well as providing air fields for the Luftwaffe and guaranteeing Swedish support of the German war effort. The drafting had only really just begun when Hitler ordered the plan put into action, without any of the Fallschirmjager or marine support which the generals had envisioned would be available.

The entire world--including the the Wehrmacht--are shocked at the move. None expected the Fuhrer to launch two further assaults with ill-equipped troops in the midst of the ongoing invasion of France; who could have? Indeed, neither the Danish or Norwegian armies were even partially mobilized. The move was unprecedented, and yet there it was.

No, I can't invade the Soviets without having my marines, Fallschirmjager, and tank corps ready. The tank corps are going to be particularly important, because presently I have no high-speed units that can outflank enemies, and encirclement of the Soviets will be absolutely critical to my success. So far as is possible I'll need to destroy Soviet divisions in order to limit their presence on the line and compensate for my major troop inferiority.

I also need to handle the Balkans, however, and bring Romania and Bulgaria into the Axis. Although I envision having beaten France by March, I want to spend 1940 securing Europe on all other fronts. I'll probably aim for an invasion of the Union in late March 1941, to maximize the amount of good weather I'll have and limit the amount of time they have to build new units so far as is possible. It'll still be a shitshow, but it's the best I can really hope for, because I will absolutely, 100% lose unless I have those tanks and specialty troops.

Also, I'm taking a brief break. I'll be back later.

So I get that /gsg/ doesn't like EU3 and 4 as much as other grand strategy games but EU4 vanilla with hardly any DLCs is all I got. So what mods should I get to make it "/gsg/ approved" and should I pirate all the DLCs or just a few necessary ones?

holy shit hes STILL replying how fucking retarded can one idiot be my god
I understand the need for tanks, obviously, but Paratroopers and marines just seem like an absolute waste of IC. The marines have limited practical use due to their river and marsh bonuses but again it simply isn't worth the increase in IC. Marines in my mind are solely for use in circumstances like the Pacific war, not for use in mainland Europe.

And Paratroopers are just an absolute joke of the highest magnitude, with planes they cost about 8 times what infantry do, their only use in my mind is for Rhodesia style fireforce missions against rebels in far away places that you can't easily police, they're essentially worthless in combat due to their huge cost and comparatively no increase in proficiency over the standard infantry.

Why do people like you keep coming on this board asking the same fuckin questions. Why do I bother to answer? Pirate all DLC steam doesnt care. As for mods get a map improvement after that I like to tack on small mods I like such as rossetta and colonial nations everywere.

>steam doesnt care

AAAAAA STOP REVOLTING MOTHERFUCKERS LET ME INVADE PROPERLY MOTHERFUCKERS1111!!!!
WHY CAPTURED STATUS RESETS BECAUSE REVOLT RETARDED GAME!!