Is he, dare I say it, /ourguy/?

Is he, dare I say it, /ourguy/?

Other urls found in this thread:

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Ælfwine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dwarves > dwarfs

So yes.

Nope. His imaginary world is so perfect it's boring.

GRRM while not particularly skilled at compact writing(or writing to begin with, watch the show instead) even compared to Tolkien created something that feels real.

ugh i know right and where's the diversity anyway? its just a bunch of bland white people doing boring white people stuff

LAME!

C.S. lewis better theological stalwart.

>Nope. His imaginary world is so perfect it's boring.
>GRRM while not particularly skilled at compact writing(or writing to begin with, watch the show instead) even compared to Tolkien created something that feels real.
t. I haven't read Tolkien

Yes.

??????

After reading LOTR, I think he is a better historian than a writer.

Absolutely, he is a master at creating history and probably one of the greatest Medievalists to ever exist.

I like that he taught himself Finnish so he could read the Kalevala. His letter to German publishers was pretty wonderful as well.

"Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by 'arisch'. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject - which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung."

I think there's also line about the similarities between dwarves and jews, and Tolkien replies with that they're not intentional, but if they were it would be a compliment.

How can one man be so based?

that's not even close to what he meant, shitposter.

It's sterile. He didn't want to put in any ideas which might have made it more interesting because he thought they would ruin it or he just didn't care to think about them.

>It's sterile. He didn't want to put in any ideas which might have made it more interesting because he thought they would ruin it or he just didn't care to think about them.
You couldn't make such a generic and unspecific criticism if your life depended on it.

How is it sterile? How is it uninteresting? What makes GRRM's stuff more interested and less sterile?

You see, pussy.

Don't forget the diarrhea! GRRM is really pushing the genre to new heights.

Hindsight is 20/20

Tolkien feels sterile because literally every fantasy series/production after Tolkien is either a response or homages to it. It's the most influential literary franchise in the 20th century.

If you still feel its sterile, you haven't read the Simarillion

>It's sterile
If it's so sterile, how come every High Fantasy story told since is merely a pale, aesthetical rehash of his work?

Berserk, which existed before GoT did sexuality better.

GoT is just baby's first edge fantasy, Berserk blows it out of the water.

>It's sterile.
nah

>He didn't want to put in any ideas which might have made it more interesting because he thought they would ruin it or he just didn't care to think about them.
They probably would have ruined it. Putting in some redd it tier political analogy or 2deep4me philosophical bullshit would have made his world objectively worse, and don't even get me started on """"""gritty real life sex'n'violence"""""" grimdark leather shit.

feel like most people on this thread dont know what /ourguy/ means and its relation to tolkein as a racist to turkish people as elucidated in another thread.

>/ourguy/
fuck off with that /pol/tarded bullshit. The answer is "no, he expressly disavowed interpreting LOTR as a commentary on race" so go back to spanking it to Turner Diaries.

>sterile
You probably only think that because
-it's an older novel with slower pacing than what modern audiences who are surrounded by distractions prefer
-it's the archetype of the modern high fantasy genre so people have been shamelessly ripping it off since the beginning, which makes everything groundbreaking about the original seem derivative and cliché because it's been mindlessly copied so many times
-It doesn't have modern character development: In other words: it wasn't written as a soap opera where characters bickering drives the plot, nor does it have a trace of the "darkier and edgier" meme.
-It's a tale of brotherhood and camaraderie, so naturally bluepilled men think it's totally homosex and women think that the characters aren't nasty and manipulative enough to each other so they can't relate.

>fuck off with that /pol/tarded bullshit. The answer is "no, he expressly disavowed interpreting LOTR as a commentary on race" so go back to spanking it to Turner Diaries.
you really read something into the OP that wasn't there, there

>fuck off with that /pol/tarded bullshit. The answer is "no, he expressly disavowed interpreting LOTR as a commentary on race" so go back to spanking it to Turner Diaries.
I don't go on /pol/ or go on about racial shit.

I came into contact with the /ourguy/ meme from /tv/ (which admittedly can get a bit /pol/ at times).

>It's a tale of brotherhood and camaraderie
LOTR is the only piece of work, and maybe The Hobbit, which is about this. Tolkiens work expresses a far more human and divine ideal.

think of Tolkien as Melkor, and Eru as his Catholic god.

Struggling to create something of his own which is not an extension of his gods but 'his own' will and being.

Well, he was honestly writing fantasy without any pretensions about MUH REALITY, much better then writiers of "historical" myths and legends like "Mongolian empire" and other sheet.

>hindsight is 20/20

line from a vaccines song.

My apologies. I saw some /pol/tards using this meme and when I saw it here my first reaction was bile.

I meant from a character development standpoint. As in "this is a tale where well-adjusted men help each other achieve their goals in a logical, consistent manner", which is why most women and a fair percentage of men just can't cope with this kind of story. By keeping the character drama to a minimum, Tolkien keeps the focus square on the loftier themes driving the story which you adroitly touched on.

>I meant from a character development standpoint. As in "this is a tale where well-adjusted men help each other achieve their goals in a logical, consistent manner", which is why most women and a fair percentage of men just can't cope with this kind of story. By keeping the character drama to a minimum, Tolkien keeps the focus square on the loftier themes driving the story which you adroitly touched on.

No I mean, Tolkiens work is not tale of brotherhood and camaraderie. Also pretty much everything you wrote isn't correct. There is a lot of character development and character drama in all his works.

>which is why most women and a fair percentage of men just can't cope with this kind of story

Literally because Tolkien cannot write to save his life. It's why he didn't win the Nobel prize for literature. His prose is tedious at best.

The Nobel is a joke and your blithe dismissal of the father of high fantasy's writing ability is tedious at best.

it is abit boring. see thats why youre using the film as a pic. get some excitement up.

No he's using the film as a pic since movies are a visual medium unlike books.
He used words, the medium of books for quite a bit longer.

>Tolkien's writing isn't bad!
>even though literally every single author out there will critique Tolkien and his lacking ability

It's okay user, it doesn't detract from his world, at all. But it's a literal fact that he cannot write, ask anyone who has tried to read Tolkien but couldn't finish. It's always because of the way it's written.

It's literal fact which you cannot refute. I mean, I have literally every single piece of his works, I have histories, I have everything. This doesn't automatically mean he can write.

>subjective opinions on writing quality are facts
>literally all authors, without a single one exception, think Tolkien can't write

Silence troll.

If you think Tolkien empathized with Melkor, who was literally Satan, you didn't get it

Tolkien believed in subcreation, it was how he justified doing anything that he did in a theological context, comparing it to a child trying to do their father's job.

>Manage to bring your Atheist buddy over to the Lord
>He becomes a Protestant
>Build a beautiful piece, the culmination of your Religion, art, and scholarship
>Most people only like, or know about, the basic aesthetics of it

Being Tolkien is suffering

>Talking shit about people who only know the basics
>Thinks Lewis was a Atheist or Low-Church Protestant

Lewis was an Atheist before he became an Anglican. Tolkien wanted him to become a Catholic.

Kek.
>says I didn't get it
>calls Tolkiens work allegory
xD

It's literal fact senpai, that fact that you are arguing something so basic and known about Tolkien is retarded.

Literally everyone can respect his world, but agree he cannot really write, at least he cannot write at the same level he can create a world.

Lewis was an Atheist.

A High Church Anglican is just RC to Catholicism's Coke

>people not finishing a work means the writing is bad

GRRM must be a great writer because so many people finish his works!!!!!

Lewis would have described himself as an Anglo-Catholic.

>It's literal fact senpai, that fact that you are arguing something so basic and known about Tolkien is retarded.
>Literally everyone can respect his world, but agree he cannot really write, at least he cannot write at the same level he can create a world.
These aren't arguments. You're just saying 'it's facts' and 'literally everyone agrees with me'.

The guy was 100% theologically Catholic and would have gone the Chesterton route if he didn't die a early death.

>story revolves around a king in disguise who assembles a group of followers to defeat evil
>not an allegory

At least now we know you're a troll and completely dismiss anything you have to say about Tolkien's writing ability.

Tolkien didn't like allegory and expressly dismissed any allegorical reading of his work. It's one of the reasons he wasn't a fan of Lewis' Narnia books.

but he did change CS Lewis' mind on God

I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.

I assume you're referring to this quote:

>I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.

But did you know that he also said this?

>any attempt to explain the purport of myth or fairytale must use allegorical language

Which is fitting because it is impossible to intelligently discuss the Aragorn story arc without seeing the blatantly obvious Christ allegory.

Aragorn isn't Jesus, he's Arthur

I don't remember the story about Arthur being a low-class drifter who was actually a king.

Aragon is written as an example of the archetype of the healer-king who humbles himself. Asian is an allegory for Jesus. You can use allegorical language about themes and archetypes without a character explicitly representing a character. That's what Tolkien is differentiating between.

>has historically important sword only the king may use
>has a wizard as councilor
>looks to companions as relative equals
>lives a life of toil before becoming king

Nope, no themes of Arthur at all.

Christianity is not a theme that is particularly present in LOTR. The tales of LOTR were based upon old Danish and Norse myths that were reappropriated and adjusted in order to create a saga that resembled something similar to that of Anglo-Saxon mythos. The Anglo-Saxons did not leave behind great literary traditions, something that greatly distressed Tolkien. Like Virgil before him, he sought to create a foundation story for his country and culture.

A common rebuttal is that of Sauron or Morgoth being akin to Satan or Lucifer, but Tolkien always was more prone to expressing the evil that can potentially reside in all men's hearts. All the villains of the LOTR (barring a few examples like Shelob) are examples of people turning to darkness from a previously moral level.

The most polite, well-worded go fuck yourself ever written.

This guy gets it

He's way more Arthur than he is fucking Jesus.

Fucking Gandolf is more Jesus if you're just looking for surface level similarities.

Only the Shire is "perfect", and Tolkien make it clear that the reason the Hobbits could be so carefree is because they were protected from outside forces by the Rangers.

Everywhere else, the Middle-Earth was such a crapsack world that it makes the world of Berserk looks like Disneyland. 80% of the entire landmass of Arda was controlled and enslaved by the dark lords. What we see of the free peoples in Rohan in Gondor are absolutely the last holdouts.

It is definitely true that Tolkien was inspired by Germanic folklore but his adaptation of it is unquestionably grounded in Christianity. A hero like Frodo would never have appeared in the Germanic myths because he is meek and mild but rather than being weaknesses Tolkien shows how it is precisely those traits which allow Frodo to be the ring bearer. Tolkien subverts ye aggressive warrior culture of the Germanics by making his hero a three foot tall weakling who triumphs because he is gentle and unassuming. The Christian message of LoTR is that it is not the biggest and baddest who are victorious (otherwise Sauron would have succeeded) but those who are strengthened by their devotion and love for each other, or in other words their fellowship.

>Christianity is not a theme that is particularly present in LOTR.
It's not present in any of his works except in the loosest sense. Tolkien was of the opinion that each fictional world should be its own self-contained universe so that people can attach their own meanings and allegories to the story. This was a sharp contrast from C.S Lewis who thought of it the other way around: that fiction should influence people into wanting to learn more about the source of the inspiration, which is why his Narnia novels have overt allegories like Aslan the Lion being a metaphor for Jesus Christ.

Middle Earth is not a self contained Universe; it's like Hyperborea in Conan, a fictional prehistory of the modern world.

Jesus is canon in LOTR, Ilu incarnates himself as Jesus.

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Ælfwine

Christianity has no impact on the plot of LOTR, because it hasn't happened yet.

It's also the reason none of the characters are overtly religious

It's also worth noting that the northern country is heavily depopulated due to centuries of civil war in Arnor as well as incursions from forces of Darkness.

The Rangers and Aragorn are literally all that remains of the northern kingdom, a rather pathetic army that wanders around and is regarded as criminals by all of the small villages and townships.

>Christianity has no impact on the plot of LOTR

This a joke yes?

GRRM has feet of clay, and politics of shit

>JRRT tells all the time hen he is alive that this isn't directly related to history in any way, shape or form, but it's own seperate mythos
>once he dies people shove their agendas in the stories like a rush hour crowd in the empty train.

>Roman Catholic author's religious beliefs have no impact on the plots of his novels which feature a savior figure who is also a king in disguise

I cringed at this.

going by this logic anyone who is christian is forcing their christfaggotry on everyone else.

of course, you expected something like
"German? More like GERMan :^)"

>not being able to distinguish metaphor and allegory

Tolkien is the epitome of the beta male, emasculated, and feminized Anglo Saxon. I have no doubt in my mind the man spent hours masturbating to the thought of young Anglo girls getting deflowered by big Norman cocks. I imagine he hated himself for requiring Norman cuck fantasies in order to satisfy himself sexually.
That's all LOTR is, you know. The Anglo fantasy of preventing that fateful day of October the 14th, 1066. His entire body of work reeks of cuckery and slave morality, disgusting.

>when the redpill hits

Jesus commanded His followers to make disciples of all nations and Tolkien is counted among Christ's followers so there you go.

>Thinking there's a real difference
Allegories are simply deeper forms of metaphors. Go be an insufferable faggot somewhere else

>Low class drifter
Was Aragon always treated as a noble in exile, except on those occasions when he was sneaking off to play Medieval James Bond?

sheeeit

There's non-whites in his works, they just take the form of orcs and goblins.

>Aragon is written as an example of the archetype of the healer-king who humbles himself.

You mean a suffering servant?

>Middle Earth is not a self contained Universe; it's like Hyperborea in Conan, a fictional prehistory of the modern world.
It still might as well be a galaxy far, far away. Compare it to Chronicles of Narnia where the characters are from our world and visit Narnia through a magical portal.

>Jesus is canon in LOTR, Ilu incarnates himself as Jesus.
Yeah but you wouldn't know that just by reading LOTR

not him but fuck off back to /b/ if you hate it that much when people challenge you to think critically.

LoTR is very much just the prehistory of our own world, this is something Tolkien himself states in letter #165.

>‘Middle-earth’, by the way, is not a name of a never-never land without relation to the world we live in (like the Mercury of Eddison). It is just a use of Middle English middel-erde (or erthe), altered from Old English Middangeard: the name for the inhabited lands of Men ‘between the seas'. And though I have not attempted to relate the shape of the mountains and land-masses to what geologists may say or surmise about the nearer past, imaginatively this ‘history’ is supposed to take place in a period of the actual Old World of this planet.

>May I say that all this is ‘mythical’, and not any kind of new religion or vision. As far as I know it is merely an imaginative invention, to express, in the only way I can, some of my (dim) apprehensions of the world. All I can say is that, if it were ‘history’, it would be difficult to fit the lands and events (or ‘cultures') into such evidence as we possess, archaeological or geological, concerning the nearer or remoter part of what is now called Europe; though the Shire, for instance, is expressly stated to have been in this region (I p. 12).6 I could have fitted things in with greater versimilitude, if the story had not become too far developed, before the question ever occurred to me. I doubt if there would have been much gain; and I hope the, evidently long but undefined, gap in time between the Fall of Barad-dûr and our Days is sufficient for ‘literary credibility’, even for readers acquainted with what is known or surmised of 'pre-history'.

Also note the fact that the style of Lord of the Rings as a book is reminiscent of one that may have had several others, and in the appendix I believe it does go through the fact that the manuscript was written by all of the different hobbits, and eventually were fleshed out by several scribes in Gondor (continued)

There's some pretty fucked up sex and violence in the Simarillion tho

I like Tolkien and his world is a decent iteration of history but he's more Veeky Forums's guy if anything.

there are three aspects of jesus:king,prophet priest
all three aspects are represented through aragorn,gandalf and frodo

Until the text was left and then "found" and "translated" by professor Tolkien today. That's part of the reason why the men of Rohan speak Anglo-Saxon to the modern English of the Hobbits, neither actually speak any sort of English but rather Westron and dialects and ancestors of that language. So Frodo Baggins, a hobbit that lives in a smial is just a translation of Maura Labingi, a kuduk that lives in a trân.

Also more proof of Lord of the Rings being a book written about the events after the fact, ignoring the change in style you get where things suddenly sound like the King James Bible by Return of the King, is the fact that you have the characters all singing poetry in the middle of battles or reciting long speeches that nobody does. This is a complaint that a lot of people have about Tolkien's more adult works (LoTR and Silmarillion) and use it to say he's a bad author, but they don't realize is that neither of these are written like novels as we understand them, but rather as chronicles kept after the fact, a way that makes is a prose epic and in a sense biblical. Now on the novel to chronicle spectrum, LotR is definitely more of a novel than the Silmarillion is, still both have a very macro kind of style that people who are used to modernist stream of consciousness styles where we are expected to relate to characters do not understand it.

Aragorn is not meant to be related to, Tolkien did not want people to relate to him. Aragorn is better than you, he's better than anyone, he's a King. Tolkien was incredibly conservative, a reactionary in many respects, to the point where it made him an anarchist. The hobbits are there to be related to, it's the fact that generally the reader will get their information through them that you can see it, because the reader has no knowledge of middle earth, and hobbits generally have the LEAST knowledge of middle earth out of any character, which makes them the best information telescope for the reader.

>implying
Dungeons and Dragons only has slight aesthetic inspiration from Tolkien and the rest of High Fantasy, and only recently have they been trying to push High Fantasy stories and campaigns which do not work with the game system, or with any "game" or system to be incredibly honest.

Gygax did not like Lord of the Rings very much, he vastly preferred Conan the Barbarian, Fafhrd and Grey Mouser, and the Dying Earth. Dungeons and Dragons is Swords and Sorcery, not high fantasy, it does not have a world of wonder and decided morals of the Lord of the Rings, rather presenting a world where magic IS the mundane, but also good and evil only kind of matter.

Tolkien could still be considered the Godfather of fantasy though. A lot of cliches like ones about Dwarves are at least somewhat based off of Tolkien.

LotR is explicitly Christian and if you dont realise this you dont know what you are talking about

Lotr is not allegory. Aragorn is a deeply imperfect allegory for Jesus. Fuck off.

? Reading comprehension? There can be christian themes without the proper, actual religion having anything to do with the plot

>There can be christian themes without the proper, actual religion having anything to do with the plot
no it cant, regardless what mental gymnastics you apply

>start reading lotr
>"The hobbits walk up a hill. They walk down a hill. The bottom of the hill is covered in trees."

>GRRM feels real
lol no it doesn't you pathetic modernist
You only feel that way because GRRM is shit and you are shit.
You are literally a toilet recognizing yourself.

Tolkien is more in line with the historical perspective of the world, our culture is centered around rebellion as most of our philosophies were born out of the Enlightenment's rebellion against everything which came before.

We are rebelling against history and ultimately ourselves (thus we become Nietzscheans).

Stop being a nu-male.

>no it cant, regardless what mental gymnastics you apply

>if something isn't explicitly one way then it is diametrically opposed
wew lad

You really should rethink your nebulous definitions are poor literary understandings...

Christianity is present in that one can not get out from under the Christian influence within the story.
The themes and tales.
Keep in mind Christianity is all encompassing, Pagans were necessarily Christians by definition of existing in the Christian story in the Christian worldview.
Christian in the first sense of existing as a son of God.
This is Tolkiens universe.

You're divorcing Christianity from reality and relegating it to a worldview without actually taking as a serious worldview.

In Christian theology God exists whether or not man cares or knows, this makes any story involving man in the Christian worldview inherently Christian.

>watch the show instead
BWAHAHAHAHA
No.

>Tolkien boring
>watch Game of Thrones instead of reading ASOIAF

Kill yourself you cultural pollutant