Are battle strategies in which two armies face each other for combat completely obsolete...

Are battle strategies in which two armies face each other for combat completely obsolete? With the current state of warfare, will this kind of combat ever happen again?

>which two armies face each other for combat
As opposed to?

Presumably in the future someone will have something valuable that someone else wants, and they will have to fight over it. I assume it will involve armies, either robotic or human.

Skirmishes, bombings, guerrilla warfare

I meant face each other in the battlefield if that makes it clearer I guess

industrial espionage, cyberattacks

I don't understand are they supposed to shoot the guns backwards while facing away?

Of course it isn't obsolete

What are you going to do if an army invades your country, espionage it to death? Rely on "planes and skirmishes"?

The real answer is that nobody wants to think about what the untold horror that a war between two first world nations would be like, I would rather serve in WW1 than face something like that

>Are battle strategies in which two armies face each other for combat completely obsolete? With the current state of warfare, will this kind of combat ever happen again?

Are you retarded?

Go read about the 2003 Iraq War. It was very short, but it did involve some pitched battles between coalition and Iraqi forces, though they were mostly concentrated around the defence of cities, rather than field battles, and they were mostly rather small compared to the battles of WW1/2 or the Korean and Vietnam Wars.

Or you could even look at the war in Syria currently progressing, you'll again find pitched battles (largely centred around cities, due to the large expanse of land fought over by small numbers of men).

The skirmishes and guerrilla warfare you see on TV is only the result of staggeringly asymmetrical warfare. One side is so vastly superior in arms and manpower that the opposing side simply can't present a pitched battle. If, however, the US, for some reason, invaded mainland China, the PRC could present pitched battles, and they would be a devastating repetition of battles like Kursk or El Alamein (i.e. formations of hundreds of thousands of men, thousands of tanks and guns spread across hundreds of square miles clashing).

Pitched battles happen when opposing forces are capable of active engagement of the opposition, which necessitates them being relatively similar in capability. As such, if you look at wars where the participants are both small nations, or both large nations, you'll find them. Wars in which a very large nation attacks a very small nation rarely have many if any pitched battles, and are usually very short.

All that matters now is air superiority and resources. Once you establish that, it boils down to bombing the everliving shit out of the enemy while your ground troops clean up what's left.

Why do we even have war? We should settle any disputes over a match of football, or checkers?

I know you're just baiting, but it really infuriates me how some people think this is a possibility.

Because those match do sometimes but still end up in violence

That sure worked in Vietnam

Yeah, I'll admit the jungle+guerrilla warfare makes that a bit more difficult.

No, this will happen when one side defends a critical post and another side wants to remove them/get the post.

>source, someone who never served in the military. Unless your objective is to just destroy a country, militaries will always need lots of armed men to take and hold cities and other strategic locations.

Control of an area comes from the ability to enforce your desired policies on an area and a population. This comes from men with guns. See the police and sheriff's departments in the US which enforce laws and court judgments.

Believe it or not, I'm actually serving in the military right now. But OP wasn't asking about long-term control of a region, he was asking about battle strategies, which from my experience, boil down to the two things I previously mentioned.

lol no you wouldn't

Modern super-powers cant have direct wars. So they forcing other countries to fight against opponents. Some countries divided by different super-powers and become mess of opposite factions - Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria.

The Iran-Iraq war was literally WW1 but with rifles and RPGs, and also air dropped mines and suicidal child soldiers