The Puritans

Can you name a more despicable sect of mainstream Christianity than the Puritans?

PROTIP: You can't

The Puritans were literally the ISIS of the 1600's. The fact that so many American conservatives hold them up on a pedestal as some sort of heroic founders of the country/precursors to American morality is absolutely disgusting.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Judith
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Puritans did literally nothing wrong

>t. heathen pagan sinner

Better a pagan than a dour Puritan hatemongering tyrant.

At least I get to have fun in my life.

TL;DR Halloween rules and Thanksgiving sucks, you Protestant whore.

>Salem Witch Trials
>Oliver Cromwell
>Massacre of Native Americans
>Lynching people for celebrating Christmas

Try again, you mentally deficient Protestant faggot.

Fun is a sin

>>Salem Witch Trials
>>Oliver Cromwell
>>Massacre of Native Americans
These are supposed to be bad?

You just proved my point, you dumbass Jack Chick wannabe

Yes, they are. Go back to worshipping your imaginary Jewish sky daddy, you redneck hatemonger.

>The Puritans
Religious zealots who got kicked out of their own fucking country for being so fucking crazy.

Total autistic edgelords.

I'll wear my fedora with pride on this one, so here goes...

I'd rather be in Hell with Plato, Virgil, and Marcus Aurelius than in Heaven with Fred Phelps, Jack Chick, and Cotton Mather.

Agreed

>ISIS of the 1600s
That's not a bad thing

Yes, it is. Go back to /pol/ and quit LARP'ing as Cotton Mather.

Let me reiterate, I'd rather be in Hell with Plato, Virgil, and Marcus Aurelius than in Heaven with Jack Chick, Fred Phelps, and Cotton Mather.

I don't give a fuck who do you want to share hell with, you're a complete nobody, and your rectal holocaust over people wanting to lead godly lives is amusing at best.

Jonathan Edwards > Cotton Mather

He probably read a wiki article about the Salem trials once, leave him be.

>>says the christard who actually thinks that the puritan lifestyle is actually desirable.

Fuck off faggot, "godly" lives are also called shitty lives.

>Starts bitching about protestants on a largely Roman Catholic and Pagan board
besides a few atheist trolls your preaching to the quire.

In Cape Cod a boy would be whipped in public if he was caught talking to a girl he was not related to.
>nothing wrong

Puritans weren't kicked out of England, they left because of religious persecution. They set out to create their own communities, and also ended up persecuting others (Quakers, etc). Founding fathers were in favor of religious freedom.

*choir

>mainstream
Since when?
>Salem witch trials
Sure blame the puritans for one town's evil when most of europe was doing the same thing
>Oliver Cromwell
War is bloody.
>Massacre of native americans
Which tribes are you claiming the puritans massacred?
>lynching of people for celebrating Christmas
So? we put men in jail for having consented sex with girls under a certain arbitrary age.

>>So? we put men in jail for having consented sex with girls under a certain arbitrary age.
You do realize that this is just a pitiful dodge yeah? "You do it too"! Isn't actually an effective argument.

You're right. They were discriminated against.

...and a good thing too. Cromwell boot lickers.

Not really. Throwing stones when you live in a greenhouse is dumb.

I don't know how someone in 1600s celebrates Christmas, but if it's anything like the hedonistic parties today where casual sex occurs, then they deserved to be lynched.

Veeky Forums is a Protestant board

This. We actually read scripture here.

Fucking Huguenot get out of my board

good layman, don't forget to buy an indulgence!

I thought Hiro based Veeky Forums on a Buddhist monastery forum?

Do you support the St. Bartholomew's day massacre and the massacre at for Caroline?

>We actually read scripture here.
So why do you insert words into scripture?

Daily reminder that Christ is the only mediator between man and God, and that even the idea of an infallible human is heresy.

>Veeky Forums is a Protestant board
No wonder discourse is so poor.

To read them.

Luther inserted alone at the start of Romans, not Romans 3:28. The phrase "The just shall live by faith" appears in nearly every Pauline epistle, but Luther only inserted alone once. Luther also explicitly translated literarily, to make the bible sound like it was written in German.

>left because of religious persecution
Waaaaah why why the state allow me to persecute other religious beliefs - save me I'm being persecuted

>hurr Catholics never insert words into scripture
Pic related

Also, to rightly translate Romans 3:28 you have to describe the exclusivity of faith. It's the entire point of the passage.

Reminder that it is damnable heresy to promote the worship of bread

Is that why protestants removed scripture from the bible?

>Luther inserted alone at the start of Romans, not Romans 3:28.
wrong.

Did Nebuchadnezzar rule from Nineveh?

no u

Not an argument

Yes it is, because Judith 1:1 says he did. Only problem is he never set foot in Nineveh.

Why did Luther remove 7 books from scripture?

Martin Luther removed these 7 books of the Old Testament: Tobit, Judith, 1st & 2nd Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach & Baruch. I understand he wanted to remove James & Revelation also.

They never were scripture
See above. Also did Nebuchadnezzar rule from Nineveh?
>I understand he wanted to remove James & Revelation also
He changed his mind.

>They never were scripture
Why did he remove the books though?

Hi Malaysian, it's been a while

Not an argument

>The Puritans were literally the ISIS of the 1600's.
The English Puritans were, which is why marrying politics with religion is a bad idea in any civilization

Then that makes the puritans which went to America the Syrian refugees fleeing to a land where people aren't slaughtering each other in the name of religion

>why marrying politics with religion is a bad idea in any civilization
So I guess every civilization before the French and American revolutions were in the wrong, huh?

Did Nebuchadnezzar rule from Nineveh? A simple yes or no will do.

>The Puritans were literally the ISIS of the 1600's.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing? ISIS is badass as fuck.

>moving the goalposts fallacy
Why did Luther removed 7 books from his version of the Bible?

Did Nebuchadnezzar rule from Nineveh?

So you don't have an answer?

So one historical error in Judith warrants removing 7 books from Biblical canon?

>one historical error
That's sufficient to prove it's not inspired. Also, that's not the only error in Judith, it's full of them. If I recall correctly it says the temple was rebuilt over a hundred years before it was destroyed.

What about the other historical errors riddled in the old testament?

So what about the books that aren't Judith? Why'd he remove Maccabees and wisdom?

this. it's all horseshit

He didn't "remove" anything, those books were never there
There are none.

>He didn't "remove" anything, those books were never there
They were there from the beginning of Christianity. Your just making stuff up.

They knew they existed, no one thought they were scripture until over a hundred years after our Lord's death.

>>Salem Witch Trials
Those were actual witches tho

How evil do you have to be in order to hate Puritans?

Judith? wtf is "Judith"?

Not true. All discussions of them remark that Christians considered them Canon. They appeared in the Greek Vulgate, which was the scripture used by Christians.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Judith

The Qumran community considered them scripture.
Checkmate extremists

Luther didn't remove anything he just considered them secondary and actually thought more highly of them than the spurious books of the NT.
It's not like Luther coined the term Apocrypha.

He removed them from biblical canon for partisan reasons.

So what did they do that makes them bad in your opinion

How? Because you aren't allowed to dress in a fursuit and rim your pozzed bf?

Their hero was literally a schizophrenic who obeyed his auditory command hallucinations

Settle down bananaman
>being a degenerate who is constantly depressed is fun
this
Did mommy make you go to church yesterday instead of injecting heroine with Tyrone?

>set up the moral system that would take over the world
>bad
You're just objectively wrong.
>inb4 populist utilitarian morals are wrong
Cry hard you snowflake homo.
Puritans are the best thing to ever grace God's green earth and no amount of angry fedoras, LARPers, or SJWs are going to change that.

>schizo
>not hyper-intelligent
I mean, I'm not saying Schizos are always fun to be around, but they tend to have the highest IQs around.

This. The Puritans were never persecuted. It makes for a better narrative for children, it never happened. They were just mad that they couldn't impose their own religion on everyone else in England, so they left to form a community where they could.

There are no actual witches. Just deluded people.

Go back to raddit holy shit

t. fedora cuck

Are these the people who had sex with their underwear on?

But they were
>The Corporation Act (1661)
>The Act of Uniformity (1662)
>The Conventicle Act (1664)
>The Five Mile Act (1665)

Glad we have the ultimate authority here on the matter to clear that up for us.

Confusing atheists with facts. How mean.

Implying that's a bad thing.

Celebrating Christmas is not the same as statutory rape, you Protestant retard. Go back to /pol/

>implying I'm an atheist
>Am actually a pagan

Please go back to /pol/, you dumbfuck Puritan LARP'er

Even if I was an atheist, I'd gladly take a fedora over a pilgrim hat.

>implying you shouldn't be hanged for witchery

protestants didn't do anything that any other group of people wouldn't have done in their situation. The Spanish were catholics and they were waaaaay worse

It's because you have different morals. The age of marriage for millenia for women was the onset of menarchy. Then it was changed in the west for god knows what reason. Christmas with it's pagan trees and santa klaus are not biblical nor apostolic traditions and the puritans rightly associated Christmas with saturnalia. You believe marrying a woman below the arbitrary age of 18 is "statutory rape" and that Christmas is totally Christian. It's not clear why you believe these things. My guess is because your society does.

>Pic related
>He thinks that Deutercanon is Apocrypha
>He think that Bible was not made by Catholic in it's full, 73 books glory
>He use canon of scripture from Jews that also said that New Testament is scam