Veeky Forums humor

Could we get a Veeky Forums humor/feels thread? My computer crashed an I lost everything

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_in_Yugoslavia#Liberation_of_Belgrade_and_eastern_Yugoslavia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>that meme
1)Venice was just transport
2)Their ships were *made* to land at egypt, not for port storming
3)The Crusaders wouldn't pay them money, and fucked up the 'shut up and look tough' role they agreed to play for Zara
4)A exiled former co-Emperor promised them a shit load of money to cover their losses if they diverted
5)Both Greek and Latin sources both make note of the fact that the doge /tried to negotiate with the Emperor/ before a party of Latin knights ruined it
6)Enrico wasn't blinded by Byzantines
7)Enrico had spent most of his life being a good will ambassador to Byzantium
8)The 'he plotted against the empire!' meme is a butthurt greek making a guess about someone he never met
9)Papacy blames the Venetians to escape blame
10)Napoleon spread the bad history since Venice pissed him off

It was the Latin commands who dunnit.

t.Byzantiboo who gets pissed off at the artificial hate imposed between the Empires otherwise MOST LOYAL SUBJECTS and the state.

The real enemy are the Germans/Latin Knights and the Normans in Sicily, not Venice.

He should've said he could either attack Egypt or the Turks.
1) No the Venetians were the only thing involving the Crusaders in the Byzantine politics
2) No, literally built a battle fleet
3) yeah
4) yeah
5) Yes, but there are generally some attempts at negotiation before battles. Dandolo wanted to resolve it cheaply but was completely fine with fighting too
6)yeah
7) Yes, with the king who was just imprisoned and mutilated
8) True
9) Papacy literally had nothing to do with it, they excommunicated the fuckers right after they heard what happened to Zara
10) Never heard this, could be true though.

The real fuck up were the despots running the Byzantine Empire not being able to contain their instability to themselves. Notice how the Byzantines lasted just as long as the Crusade fad and Mongol rape train were distracting the Muslims. Probably would've lasted longer if they hadn't spoiled relations with the First Crusade and actually gave military assistance like they promised.

1)What is Alexios IV Angelos
2) See John H. Pryor, ‘The Venetian fleet for the Fourth Crusade and the diversion of the crusade to Constantinople’
in The experience of crusading. Vol. 1, Western approaches, ed, by Marcus Bull and Norman Housley, pp. 121-
5) Fighting was the only option left. You're in the *middle* of now hostile territory, local latins have been kicked out of the city, and you still have fuck all supplies or money. It was siege the city or get killed/captured/starve.
9)Not saying the Pope is to blame. They just add to the 'VENICE IS AT FAULT' fire afterwards, just in case anyone suspects them (not that they did anything wrong)
10)Yep

>gave military assistance
They were going to. The Emperor was literally marching an army to help the 1st Crusade. Then some Latins that had given up ran into his army and told him the Crusade had failed and all was lost.

So he went '...well, there goes that. Best go home then'.

Of course, the Crusades didn't know this, so just saw it as him betraying them.

>believing random deserters instead of gathering your own intel
>cockblocked the Crusaders at Nicaea
>Spent more time attacking Bohemond after he called them out on their opportunism than the Turks who were eating their empire piece by piece. The Byzantines were trying to play both sides in the First Crusade and it cost them dearly in the future. Bohemond was an asshole who admitted that he wanted to steal Byzantine land at the beginning of the crusade but he found a situation where he was right and they were wrong to justify his split.

>Veeky Forums humor thread?
>nope
>4th crusade thread

>being against Bohemond is bad
The very *same* Norman who had invaded the Empire in 1085, whose father had invaded in 1081 to secure land for them.

And of course they were trying to play both sides. When one side is a traditional enemy, and the other side is un-trust worthy, with old enemies who sliped having to take an oath to you, it'd be stupid to support them just because 'muh fellow christians'.

Playing everyone off everyone is how the ERE survived, from the 4th century onwards.

Playing everyone off each other also ensured no one stayed friends with them. Even Venice abandoned them eventually, their greatest ally facilitated the fracture of their empire. Doing nothing would've been better than playing both sides.

I have a few

This one gets me.

Actually, bar the 4th Crusade accident, Venice remained pretty loyal once the Empire was back together.

It kinda boils down to the old 'We're the civilised people using barbarians against each other' mentality.

obviously he made the mistake of showing grandpa the dub instead of the sub

He needed some alone time to wank

>4th Crusaders
>enemy
Enemies of Satan, maybe.

The Pride of the Tsar's Fleet, the glorious Russo-Japanese War

Best meme coming through

i havent laughed that hard in a while
russias penchant for the absurd is my favorite

>he says as the Venetians dominate old Byzantine trade routes and sap them of much needed cash

>sap
>Byzantium's wealth was based on agriculture
>trade was merely the mobilising of the wealth from landed elites
>boosts urban economy

>burn down half the city because 'der wuz a mosque there for visiting diplomats'

No shit the locals are gonna fuck them up for that.

kek

>fourth crusade
>bad

they deserved everything they got

‘The Venetians made the following agreements:
1) Venice was to abstain from alliance with any person, crowned or uncrowned, or any nation hostile to Isaac or his house.
2) Within six months of the doge’s receiving official notice of an attack on the Byzantine Empire by an enemy using forty to one hundred galleys, Venice was to supply a like number of ships manned by one hundred and forty men each most of which were to be built at Byzantine cost.

3) The ship captains were to swear loyalty to Byzantium and to swear that their crews were up to full strength. The rates of pay, which the Byzantines would furnish, were to be the same as those in effect in 1148 at the siege of Corfu.
4) To fill out the crews the emperor could conscript Venetians in his realm. Their fleet, which was equal to his in size, was to be under Byzantine command once it joined the force, but before that moment it could take independent action against any enemy encountered en route
5) The emperor could send back unneeded Venetian ships but could recall them if necessary
6 )If for any reason the Venetian fleet could not come, the emperor could conscript as many as three-fourths of the Venetians living in Constantinople and the districts around it as far away as Adrianople, Abydos and Philadelphia, and could commandeer as many vessels as he could obtain.
7) The alliance superseded all other Venetian treaty obligations but was not to prejudice existing agreements with the Western emperor and with Sicily. If the Normans attacked, Venice until the expiration of the treaty with William in 1195 would send only fifteen galleys to aid Byzantium. In return, Isaac Angelus agreed to assist Venice in the same fashion if it were attacked. The military alliance, although of a defensive nature, was aimed at Sicily and the German Empire, for Venice had no interest in furthering a Byzantine reconquest of Italy.’
(Charles M. Brand, Byzantium confronts the West, 1180 – 1204 (1968), pp. 197-8)
Dolger, Reg., No. 1578 ; TTh, I, 196-202 ; Zachariae Von Lingenthal Jus, III, 530-534

o ‘Historians have wrongly tended to see Enrico Dandolo as the main proponent of the German proposal. From the beginning, this was the project of Boniface of Montferrat and a few French leaders.’ (Enrico Dandolo and the Rise of Venice, page 147)

How could the Serbs ever recover?

>When you are the only one who is doing what is supposed to do in this kind of thread instead discuss about the 4th crusade who everyone knows was Venice's fault

why

perfect

>Probably would've lasted longer if they hadn't spoiled relations with the First Crusade and actually gave military assistance like they promised.

I wonder how many books on the crusades you have read to obtain this opinion, given that I've read at least a dozen, and all of them indicate that Alexios spent the entire campaign fighting against the turks in Asia minor to secure the crusade's flank, constantly sent aid by sea, and was leading the main Kommenian army in a lightning march to relieve Antioch before an embarrassed Stephen De Blois pretended the crusaders were all dead instead of having to admit his own cowardice, thus single handedly causing the withdrawal of the entire army. Not that the crusaders actually desired Roman help, knowing that the entirety of the levant belonged de jure to the empire.

>everyone knows
Only in memes, my friend.
The academic reality is different, see

>humor thread

>some faggot gets absolutely rectally ragnroked and pissed off derailing the thread over shit that is centuries old and he was never a part of and has zero (0) relation to

Fucking yanks

>his
>most people here unironically use memes for learning
>correcting the bad history is somehow wrong
???

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_in_Yugoslavia#Liberation_of_Belgrade_and_eastern_Yugoslavia

Enrico personally fought in the [first?] assault on Constantinople (despite being blind) IIRC

I hate Anglo propaganda

did he do more of these?

>Borodino accidentally uses live ammunition for the salute
>hits the Aurora, again

My fucking sides

Because by then it was kinda a
> '...so er, we're getting paid for this?'
>Guy they're restoring as Emperor: You'll get paid, given supplies to go to the Middle east, and get military support.
>Enrico: Well shit, I can't argue with that

>Archduke
>driving his own car
WEW

Yeah, that's definitely the weirdest part of that image.

Yeah, I think I saw at least two about cold war.

Seems pretty accurated to me

I got you senpai

Bretty good.

>thinking old fucks would enjoy anime
That was his first mistake

>strong, loyal national army
>army proceeds to constantly rebel to put their pay master (their general) in command of the Empire
>Mercenaries stay loyal to the imperial treasury

That'll teach Marius to remove the citizenship requirement for the legions.

what is the reasoning behind this

is his fursona being evil again by giving the anglo the gift of science

I thought he was supposed to be evil.

Before the ships set sail, they had negotiated which parts of Greece they were to administer.
The naval Jew has got to you.

is Perry a meme in Japan? Do they hate him or love him?

[citation needed]

i was in that thread

thanks man appreciate it

>Venice was just transport

I specifically remember reading a historical source saying that blind grandpa Enrico was on the first ship, waving a sword at the city while someone was helping him stand upright.
That same source mentioned that he had lost his sight in Constantinople, with one rumor saying he was tortured by state officials, another saying he was just hit on the head and mugged.
The author implied he was after not just a good deal and a good political move, but also revenge.

Can't find it right now, but I am 100% sure it was an old historical text. I didn't read it in english so I am not sure how to look for it online.

He also reduced the number of pack animals so each soldier had to carry more of his own gear. This led to legionnaires being nicknamed "Marius' Mules"
>random shit I remember from doing Classics in school

how are vatniks this fucking incompetent

literally rddit

This never gets old

Seriously? Balkan is a shit hole that is in a constant state of conflict, to them it was a Thursday.

Love these

The mastermind behind the defeat of Germany in the WW1

Veeky Forums humor games are allowed?

Germany was a mistake and you know it

Tfw when the actual Nazis complain that your actions are inhumane