Allright Veeky Forums

Allright Veeky Forums,

next month I will be interviewing a 90+ year old german veteran.

What are some GOOD questions I could ask?

He fought on the eastfront.
He was shot twice.
He was in the HJ as a child.

Don't have more info as of yet.

pic somewhat related. Not him.

How many villages did he burned and how many women he raped

are you gonna suck his dick too

Ask him about the organizational side of things. How did he get his orders, how much of the greater battlefield did he know or was briefed about before going into combat, that kind of thing.

Also, if he was shot twice, ask him about what the standards of returning wounded to combat were.

Simple.

Where were you born?
What did you do before enlisting?
How much was basic food back then?
What did he do for "entertainment"?
Did he meet any good friends in the war?
Did they keep in contact after the war?
What lesson would he impart to a 13 year old?
What about a young man in the process of going to college?
What did he eat growing up? What did he eat during the army? What did he eat afterwards? Has his diet changed significantly over 90 years?
If he could photograph a good moment, and a bad moment, in his life, which ones would he choose?

you care a lot about food. are you fat?

The most important thing you need to ask him is what from his experience does he want to share the most. Don't press him into sharing stuff he doesn't want to. Interviewing war veterans, even that far removed, is a pretty sticky wicket.

Did he have any personal heroic moments during the war? If not, what about outside the war?
Did he ever take Pervitin?
Does he have a wistful "what if...?" regarding the war. "Yeah, I wish we could've allied with Britain and marched on the communists". something of that sort.

I had a grandpa. He talked about the days when you could buy a hot dog and a soda for a nickel.

Inflation of food over time is interesting. The price of meat has outpaced the RoI by something like 300%

COuld you imagine being a German WW2 vet and sorta feeling bad about being peripherally involved in this terrible crime but also kind of put off by how no one appreciates your sacrifice except this weasly shitkid internet neonazi who wants you to talk about how great Hitler was?

raffed

Actually, that's a good one as well. Ask him what he thinks about the Veeky Forums neo-nazi crowd, the "Hitler was good boi, he dindu nuffin" sort who deny the holocaust and all the warcrimes.

>next month
>90+ years old
Don't count your chickens before they hatch, user.

what did the grunts talk about at the parts of the campaign before they got to any fighting

Well that's neat, please of course be polite.

Ask him what happened to him at the end of the war.

I'm actually curious as to what you could buy with a german soldier's monthly salary.

Imagine if you just got done with the shit at Narwa and you got your paycheck and it was horseshit.

The fuck are they going to buy? Everything was rationed to shit and they aren't on the home front so that paycheck is effectively worthless until they get injured and sent home. It's closer to fucking unemployment insurance than anything

I'm thinking like if they were saving up for a car or some shit.

I dunno man no books about battles and strategy ever talk about this kind of crap in detail. The rationing sure, price hikes too but not usually exactly what that meant as far as numbers go for the populace.

Could always send it back home to the family

They were kinda busy fighting a total war and having all their production capacity churning out shitty bullets and giant meme guns

Once again, to buy what? I dunno, this is largely anecdotal, but I didn't spend jack shit when I was deployment (Navyfag) so I always came home to a full bank account because the fuck was I going to buy and this is in a non-rationed economy.

Was the Russian winter meme true?

>tfw my 95 year old grandpa died two months ago and I never bothered asking him about the war

>Navyfag

Tautology

Just make sure to post the transcript here when you're done, if possible. And please let us know when that might be, would be very interesting.

Namefag yourself InterviewAnon or something as well if you do post it.

Fuck off

This

I'd love to hear how it goes

what was it like getting rekt and ruining Germany eternally

Sort of.

Really the winter just compounded the main problems of the Germans having way, way outrun their supply lines and just generally being worn down, as well as the Soviet line having finally stiffened after getting fucking ass raped at Vyazma.

Said line took an unnecessary ass pounding in the winter counter offensive but what can you do.

>tfw your last remaining grandparent died decade before you were born

>tfw great grandfather lived in Britain (I'm in Ireland) and was apparently a cranky old fucker who only spoke about the war when he was drunk

How much did he and other soldiers buy into Nazi ideology?
How optimistic was he, and other units about the outcome of the war, especially as the war dragged on and the tables were turned.
What was his opinion of the brass and the orders he received.
How did he return to civilian life after fighting in the most brutal conflict of the past century? Any regrets/things he reminisces about?

Was he a true believer?

are we human or are we dancer?

How did the war change you, both physically and mentally?

As him how many Jews he shot

Did he see any war crimes ? (from both sides), if so what ? Why does he think he survived the war, a higher power ? Sheer luck ? Destiny ? What was the general view on russians in his group and army ? Was it as they say, that eveyrone thought they were subhumans, or was that just something that got blown out of proportion ?`

The only german ww2 vet i knew felt no regrets and still pushed german propaganda from the time.
He moved to australia though, where the holocaust and racism isn't as big of a deal.

t. angry commies
Ask him how great Hitler was.
>projecting
Most "neo-nazis" are just regular dudes looking for irony. Ideology of peace.