What are your thoughts on Stefan Molyneux...

What are your thoughts on Stefan Molyneux? Through this anarcho-capitalist I have been exposed to other great thinkers like Joseph Campbell, Jordan Peterson, and Carl Jung. Here is a link to his podcast if you would like to take a listen for yourself.

fdrpodcasts.com

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hw7NvWvwVCA
youtube.com/watch?v=BLoOYuwMQC8&list=PLiJELyO9hcAZ_JVEmAI3sByatFwdSy6F7
youtube.com/watch?v=O-nvNAcvUPE
youtube.com/watch?v=qh7rdCYCQ_U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Here is a pretty good link from Jordan B. Peterson about depth psychology. Very interesting stuff. Do you guys study much philosophy, epistemology, and logic?

youtube.com/watch?v=Hw7NvWvwVCA

Here is another series where Joseph Campbell describes the mythological structure and mans relationship with myth.

youtube.com/watch?v=BLoOYuwMQC8&list=PLiJELyO9hcAZ_JVEmAI3sByatFwdSy6F7

Jordan B Peterson has been catching a lot of flack from SJWs regarding his unwavering stance on using the appropriate pronouns mandated by Canadian government to refer to trans-gendered individuals. Here is a link of him showing the patience of a god. Kind of difficult to watch but you get the idea of what he is dealing with.

youtube.com/watch?v=O-nvNAcvUPE

Forget to take your meds, op?

Nah, mate. You don't approve?

I am very skeptical of this guy and peterson as well.

Honestly I have watched a fair deal of their content, and seriously they do have some damn good videos. Molyneux's video on the fall of rome was absolutely amazing. But the truth is the man is a bit of a narcissist, he has some seriously radical ideas that simply wouldnt work, and he talks about shit sometimes that he simply doesnt understand. Some of his videos, like the one where he claims mental illness isnt a real thing, is simply anti-science.

Peterson has some damn good commentary about how the left is sliding towards authoritarianism, but he's clearly an eccentric and says some crazy shit now and then. The guy literally thinks he has been contacted by the christian god. And he also comments authoritatively on things that simply arent related to his field of study, like climate change.

>And he also comments authoritatively on things that simply arent related to his field of study, like climate change.

You mean the one question he was asked in his AMA? I've watched many of his lectures(before he became a meme) and I don't remember him saying anything about Climate change.

I wasn't aware of the god-contact thing with peterson. You're certainly right about Molyneux's narcissism, it's self-evident when he talks with people he feels he is above intellectually. Regardless, I think Molyneux has some very interesting ideas regarding the role of the state and most things in general. He has taught me quite a bit about concept formation and epistemology and despite his occasional self-contradiction, I would say he is a very bright man and new-age thinker.

Despite what you say about Peterson I really enjoy his videos and think he has a lot of value to offer.

that's what Im referring to. Im not trying to say that he's always running around shooting his mouth off about things he doesn't study. It just seems like a sign of over-evaluation of himself when he answers a question about that in such stern terms, rather than phrasing it more like "i think its possible that _____" or just amditting he isn't qualified enough to give a meaningful answer. He just flat out stated that climate change isnt a real problem and that we'll stop it. I think theres a decent chance he's right but there's a real possibility that he isn't, and if he isn't the price will be massive. Its a bit irresponsible of him to respond with such certainty about an issue the science behind which he probably cant even explain.

like I said Ive watched quite a bit of both of their content and I think they really can stimulate your mind and they can raise very intelligent points. Just dont take everything they say as gospel - a real risk when you find a youtube personality that you like and that excites you intellectually.

Molyneux is fucking moron and is just a meme philosopher like every other fucker on youtube. No serious intellectual makes a fucking podcasts and youtube videos. He's an entertainer and should be treated as such, sure he has some good ideas and thoughts but so does literally everyone. Be careful OP, some people really really really worship Molyneux and are legit crazy. I dont like him but if you do please dont get carried away.

>The guy literally thinks he has been contacted by the christian god
proof? from what I know about him he doesn't believe in god in the sense that most christians do, that he considers god to be a representation of the hero of all heroes instead and not a physical being.

Yeah I appreciate that, I'm certainly not going to Defoo but being aware of the level of importance you give a person is vital to not be taken down the wrong path. I put a heavy dose of skepticism on these things but it is easy to get caught up in the passion that he attacks arguments and concepts with and take his word as truth. Are there any podcasts you would recommend or youtube personalities you find valuable?

Thanks mate, I suppose you're right about intellectuals using youtube but now-a-days there are so many ways to gather a following I wouldn't say youtube is disreputable when you are trying to attract a large audience.

>"no serious intellectual"...

no true Scotsman fallacy.

>Talks about 'intellectualism', implying he fits into such category, and also implying 'intellectuals' hold an elitist proper expression- as opposed language being entirely pragmatic in purpose in the first place, and 'intellect' a measure of one's logical/mathematical expression. Failing to express intellectualism in such a overlooking of such fallacy.

You might be right, I was misremebering something I read on his ama.

When asked if he believes in christian God:
"Yes. I've met Him. He put me into a Roman coliseum with Satan himself, who I defeated. When I asked why He would do such a thing, He said, "because I knew you could win." He's a tough dude. Mess with Him at your peril.
Am I serious? That's up to you to decide."

Seems like he could easily be joking

I probably dont listen to anything you haven't already heard of. Joe rogan podcast is fun and has a shit ton of episodes so you can always find someone youre interested in listening to. Im sure you've seen the one with peterson. He does a few shows with graham handcock, a bit of a crackpot author who theorizes about lost ancient civilizations before the ice age, and drinks ayahuasca with amazon shamans. Its fun to listen to but I wouldnt take him too seriously. I love the idea of lost civilizations but he seems to think they could have been as advanced as us, which i find ridiculous.

Otherwise Hardcore History is awesome(just fact check for yourself because dan isnt a historian) and the History of Rome podcast is amazing, probably changed my life. You go through over a thousand years of history, watch a kingdom grow into a republic, an empire, and finally fall. It's an almost spiritual experience following the rise and fall of a civilization like that. One of the most epic stories ever told.

Yeah studying the Roman era is great fun. What a fascinating society. I imagine people will look at the United States in a similar light in a couple hundred years.

youtube.com/watch?v=qh7rdCYCQ_U

JRE is solid and has a very wide array of guests, which reflects JR's desire to learn more about everything and his insatiable appetite for knowledge and leveraging it against what he believes to be true.

Cmon man, you can't claim to not be grand-standing shutting down a self-proclaimed intellectual. But yeah, he was fallacious in his argument.

No one has mentioned Joseph Campbell yet, and I would seriously recommend a listen. The topics he discusses really pulls you out of your own conscious being, and allows you to examine the self and the choices it has made. Some serious metaphysical shit.

He's a little shitter high on himself. He was funny for awhile but when it was made clear his understanding of what is and isn't an argument was exclusively for other people, well, his ranting became less credible.

What do you mean was exclusively for other people? Do you not believe he lives by his self-imposed morals?

How can you pair up people like Jung and Campbell with a motherfucking cult leader?

No, I don't. I think he believes he does. He is rather sanctimonious after all but you can see, via his interactions with others that he does not. Even with peer guidance telling him he has refused to see it.
His ego guides him and that is all. Fallacies only exist in the propositions of the opposed and can never be seen in his own musings. I can respect being a little blind to yourself but to deny the reality of the situation after it being so saliently pointed out to you is damning.

>Molyneux's video on the fall of rome was absolutely amazing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Can't believe you actually said this.

Being a cult leader doesn't diminish his intellectual capacities., However I agree that it was not an accurate comparison.

>can't believe humans have different preferences
>actually thinks his preferences are superior

Wow what a stupid asshole

Read an actual book on Roman history, dork.

Molyneux is shit and actually believing his video where he condenses hundreds of years of history into muh grain is retarded.

Pick up a book instead of listening to """""""youtube intellectuals""""""""""" all day.

You reek of jealousy

Is but because of your crippling obesity or social autism that you make no videos but hate those who do?

Not an argument.

brahs. It's good that you both are skeptical and arguing a point. Recognize the difference and reconcile it within yourself.

Literally not an argument and a pure ad hominem, stefancuck.

lmao who drew that?
>can you fuck off

what a completely feminine way to say something. Libertarians are usually fat and gross looking, but so are the "cool guys" in that drawing

>Recognize the difference and reconcile it within yourself
So you're suggesting that neither one of them can be fundementally right? That with each difference of opinions both sides are inherently circling a greater truth or some such mystical crap? Why should the right reconcile the wrong. Why should something that is perusing and getting closer to perfection or righteousness adjust its course to be more inline with the wayward?
Don't spout platitudes that have no basis. People who are active neutralists are just as bad as people who're wrong, perhaps even worse. At least people who are wrong still strive to be right the only way they know how.

nice quads and I wouldn't say that this situation carries over to all scenarios but that what needs to be reconciled is the hostility towards each other. Not necessarily that they should both play the middle ground. I agree with your point however that an argument should be played out until a truth emerges.

>Jordan Redditson
>Stephan Molynmeme

You should be shot tbqh.