I'd like to learn Latin and ancient Greek, but I don't have the money for private lessons and I'm already studying

I'd like to learn Latin and ancient Greek, but I don't have the money for private lessons and I'm already studying.

Does anybody have any good resources for learning both?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=61Kk7VkoWbc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

For what purpose?

Classical greek is to modern greek as latin is to italian, spanish, french.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

With a basic knowledge of Ancient Greek and Latin you can really up your Jeopardy game.
Latin is also helpful while traveling Europe, you'll recognize the basis of many word s.

So you want to spend a massive amount of time learning a language to get on a tv show once, and for a week trip?

Not op but probably to read untranslated works and to feel a closer connection to those times and civilizations.

Rosetta stone has Latin but not ancient Greek

I think assimil has ancient greek. Anyway Veeky Forums is more appropriate for this, they have threads on it often.

Nah, I'm not op. I just really enjoy Jeopardy.

>Classical greek is to modern greek as latin is to italian, spanish, french.

Incorrect. Modern Greek is far more similar to Classical Greek than Latin is to Italian. If Aristotle appeared today in modern Athens he could at least make himself understood - albeit rather poorly.

>extinct language
>official language

if julius caesan appeared in Mexico city tomorrow, he could be understood by the procurator at the delegation to report the mugging of his armor.

That is so FUCKING cool.

If Julius Caesar appeared in Mexico City tomorrow, the only words he could make out among the garbled, butchered Spanish would:

>WE
>WUZ
>AZTECS

*cums*

MiTHC, but with Romans. Make it happen.

>Latin is an extinct language
>Latin is the official language of Vatican City

Ancient Greek. You can read the Gospels, Homer, Pindar, Plato and the great Tragedians in their original glory with Greek, all that Latin opens up to you is Virgil and a few historians.

>all that Latin opens up to you is Virgil and a few historians
You forgot the bible in its intended language

>You forgot the bible in its intended language
He already said Greek.

About 6 months ago, I took the advice of this video youtube.com/watch?v=61Kk7VkoWbc to self-study latin. He strongly recommends the Lingua Latina per se Illustrata series, and I'm about 3/4 through the first one.

The book is written entirely in Latin, and it's designed so that you can study it without the need for external translations. New words and grammar are introduced in context, with the aid of illustrations and marginal notes.

I've made good progress, but it's not easy. I found the whole series on the pirate bay.

The same guy has a video about resources for Ancient Greek, but I have no idea how good they are.

I remeber this one! It was a bliss to read.

That text is pretty cute

>Lingua Latina per se Illustrata
Didn't know about that one. Looks interesting, I'll read it.