Who's superior, a longbow or a crossbow?

who's superior, a longbow or a crossbow?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OWzNXU1CiWg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Who's superior, Usain Bolt or Lance Armstrong?

Depends on what they're doing obviously.

They both have their place. If I had to pick one and only one to give my imaginary medieval troops, it would be crossbows.

Crossbow being great for simply being able to store your shot, but the longbow just has better range, and hundreds of longbowmen being absolutely terrifying.

usain bolt obviously

Both sides have 1000 men to recruit in their archer regiments

The red team can only recruit 10 because the rest can't use longbows at all, let alone shoot them for the entirety of the battle

The blue team recruits all and tells them to shoot a few bolts to train and then throws them on the field

What's the better option here ?

So the Red Team gets 10 longbowmen and 990 crossbowmen.

are Crossbows really more powerful than the Longbow?

Depends on the crossbow.

You have ones that anyone can pull easy. Then there are the monsters that use a fucking pulley system to draw.

The effort you put in training longbowmen is just not cost efficient at all, especially since the volleys are gonna restrain the longbowmen. In the end you're better off switching to crossbowmen entirely

longbows are better than crossbows if and only if the longbowman is good, the english longbow recquired enormous strength and training to be used properly, but it was well worth the result :
-Longer range
-Faster firing rate
-More power
where crossbows were pretty much the same thing but slightly underpowered
this guy sums it up pretty well, if you can mass up longbows then you have an army of elite soldiers who will rain chaos and destruction on the enemy, but unsufficient numbers lead to them being pretty much useless

Can Ukraine boot run to the moon?

You should quantify enormous strength. Drawing a longbow is like picking up a manlet.

Is this bait?

It's autocorrect :(

Not that, what does moon have to do with Lance Armstrong?

By enormous strength l mean you need to be in the top 10% strongest men in the country if you want to shoot a longbow for an entire battle without stopping, picking up a manlet is fairly easy even for non lifters

He was the first man on the Moon.

Now this HAS to be bait.

HAHA, I knew it!

Its like manlets were made for being picked up and thrown around.

>he doesn't do longbow draws for manlet throwing power

Not gonna make it

Longbows over range aren't that impressive towards the armor that arose when crossbows were in use.

Crossbows are superior simply because I can have more crossbowmen than enemy has longbowmen and ultimately numbers win wars.

Crossbow if I am arming untrained troops or myself

Longbow if I am arming trained troops

These

Longbow when fighting peasants
Crossbow when fighting knights
A crossbow will kill whilst a longbow will maim and cause a rout

>dark age propaganda image
Anyway, it depends as others have said. A crossbow can hold a shot with no effort from the user, so that cuts a lot of time.
Say you're a farmer who can afford to upkeep a crossbow, and you have an issue with foxes or wolves or something. A crossbow is absolutely useful then because a farmer probably can't afford to learn how to use, nonetheless buy or upkeep a longbow.

Maybe when hunting, too. People still hunt with crossbows, while only LARPers or third-worlders hunt with bows.

Not at taking drugs and cycling, Armstrong still numbero uno at that

I do recall at Agincourt, the longbow defeated the crossbow

The crossbows didn't even get to properly fire, On a clear sunny day without retards in command of the French army the geonese would have decimated the britbongs.

Soooo when did crossbows defeat a longbow armed opponent?

because the dumbass french sent them forward to fire without their shields

>a farmer can afford a crossbow
You do know longbows evolve in Wales to hunt animals because their farms were so shitty right

Crossbows aren't guns

>just pick one battle and use at as an example for the entire war bro trust me you'll get lots of (You)'s

And where did all the longbows go at the end of the war ? Did they just all break which is why the english lost all their battles ?

Longbows were what you wanted in a conventional battle but Crossbows were the shit in defensive strategies during a siege.

The redpilled answer is that crossbows and vertical bows are so similar that it makes no difference.

You recall incorrectly. English archers did not encounter with crossbows at Agincourt. English archers and artillery however did drive off a small, exhausted vanguard of mercenary crossbowers at Crecy.

at Crecy this was decided

not even the venerable Genoese can out-shoot or outfight an Englishman and his good Yeomanry!

m8 if you're ever played stronghold you know the crossbow was legit better

youtube.com/watch?v=OWzNXU1CiWg

They went the same way as crossbows, as civilisation progressed they became obsolete on the battlefield

Crossbow. Requires very little physical training to get started and can shoot multiple times throughout a battle without meaningful exhaustion.

Meanwhile longbow users get their arms tired after a while and have to physically train to shoot.

Still, the Chinese way is the best way to use crossbows. Through volley fire. Bunch of untrained people are simply told to fire in certain large area. Tens of thousands will hit that similar area and anything that moves in that area will die.

Not only that, it can control the flow of enemy movements so you can, if your general/strategist is smart enough, can take advantage of and lay traps.

What a coincidence, shots loosed in volley is precisely how the longbow was employed, the chinese haven't any sort of monopoly on this concept, indeed I do believe the use of the crossbow saw a similar employ in european armies of the era.

How else would retreating crossbowmen have then fowled the advance of French cavalry at Crecy if they were not fighting in a formation of attack?

>Dark Ages
>Freemason propaganda