Why do movies about Ancient Rome never use Italian accents?

Why do movies about Ancient Rome never use Italian accents?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6_IPqniaZR0
youtube.com/watch?v=lUKllT8eclc
youtube.com/watch?v=_PXC7tOmRds
youtube.com/watch?v=Q-kql7cpcOo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

'ayyy ceaser, itsa me brutus!'

Movies tend to focus on dramatization and entertainment than historical accuracy. Don't go into a movie expecting attention given to the finer points of Italian and Latin accents from Roman antiquity.

Also: not all Romans were Italian.

Because Italian wasn't a fucking language at the time. And you're enclosing the definition of ancient Rome too short. There were more non-Italian Romans than Italian Romans in the empire as your pic shows.

Where in America are you from?

Wouldn't they use Sardinian cuz it's the most conservative of the romance languages?

Because Ameriburgers get confused when they hear the word "empire" and don't hear british accents.

English sounds better if it's for english speakers.

But Latin is an Italic language.

It kinda fits to me.

Like how Romans loved nicknames. Like Plautus ("the flat-footed"), Brutus (not The Brute, but rather "the dumb"), Claudius ("the lame"), Crassus ("the fat"), and Flavius ("the blonde").

The Romans remind one of nothing so much as a bunch of gangsters, with names like Horatius Flaccus ("Flabby" Horace), Tullius Cicero (Tully "the Bean"), and Claudius Pulcher ("Pretty Boy" Claude).

In fact, the entirety of ancient Roman society was based on a system of client-patron relations that bear a striking resemblance to those of the modern day Mafia. It's quite probable that the Mafia can claim to be the last survival of Imperial Rome. Just try to picture of all those ancient Emperors as thuggish godfathers, or vice versa: quite an interesting new perspective, isn't it?

>mama mia brutus thats a spicy knife you just-a stuck in my backaroni

Roflcopter

Because Italians are not descended from Romans.
Romans were a Phoenician people

Wat

WE

They spoke the same accent as modern Italians do, just so you know.

youtube.com/watch?v=6_IPqniaZR0

WUZ

>italian

SEAFARAHZ

not all remnants of Rome fell when the eastern half fell Theodoro was still around and was related to the king of the Byzantium emperor why does no one rember Theodoro it was also the last Gothic nation the last Crimean Orthodox state held off two ottoman invasions

Cause that would sound stupid.

As someone who has taken three years of Latin, I cannot say for sure. Latin has its own pronunciation but it's not the same as Italian. Classical Latin is a language that hasn't been spoken aloud for over 1,500 years. It lives on only in literature and modified forms. Italian is a combination of it and the Germanic language of the Lombards. I believe that in the Roman empire, there were variations in dialects and accents with them mixing with the locals.

Accents come from the properties of your native language, possibly with difference between regions
Compare the latin language with the modern italian one.
Just like English isn't spoken with half a French accent and half a German accent.

I dont approve of all those soft c's

It's retarded that all movies depicting ancient times have British stage accents.

It really is.

Don't know why but it reminded me of wolf hall.

you mean why dont they speak the correct language?

Brit accents sounded noble and dignify.

Italian accents sounded like a bunch of mafia and womanizers

Well desu the Italians are just a mixture of the degenerate peoples of Italy (aka the non-Romans) and the most degenerate of the Germanic tribes (Lombscum) and since we all think pretty highly of the Romans we wouldn't want to associate them with the literal scumbags of the West.

Roman connotations
>Disciplined.
>Organized
>Honor-bound
>Very good at war
>Top tier bravery

Just wouldn't work senpai, would confuse people.

You forgot
>Family oriented.
It would so fucking work.

Western Europeans don't pull off the "large, close knit, family" vibe well.

This

Actually made me laugh

Well first of all, it's because Anglos would refuse to watch movies that weren't in English.

I remember people saying the Passion of the Christ was bad simply because they had to read subtitles.

Modern Italian probably has about as much in common in its sound with classical Latin as any modern language has with its 1500 year-old ancestor, which is to say very litttle.

Language changes a lot in just a couple of centuries when the speakers are mostly illiterate. Look at the spelling of Irish, standardized in the 18th century. Has very little in common with how it's pronounced now because all the literate classes adopted English. The illiterates who kept speaking Irish through the 19th century changed the sound of it so much that probably half the words in Irish are half composed of silent letters now.

Woah, so romans copied the god father movies? Jesus christ, why do romans suck so much?

>mafia and womanizers

But that's exactly what the Romans were though.

Because British stage accents give that upper class feel to people like the emperor.

Because brittania was founded by a Trojan therefore it is third Rome so our accents are their accents, next you'll say the Byzantine empire was Greek

i remember reading in school about Hadrian having a very thick provincial accent and whenever he made a speech in front of the senate the senators would choke holding their laughter

you wot
youtube.com/watch?v=lUKllT8eclc

It wouldn't make sense.

To the American, English accents represent A.) Clearly defined class vernacular that America doesn't really have and B.) Europeaness in general.

i would fucking KILL for a Roman historical movie shot in the style of a Mafia movie.

maybe at the end of the republic where each "godfather" is a historical figure trying to grab power, wealth and glory as they wade through the chaos of the failing system and slowly start getting used to more and more immoral acts.

youtube.com/watch?v=_PXC7tOmRds

Holy shit I never knew I wanted this until now. Imagine:

>A mix of Godfather and I, Claudis tier backstabbing and family relations
>Could range from major "hit jobs" like Julius Caesar, to lower family "uprisings" like Praetorian guards killing Caligula and making Claudis their pawn
>Family begins to fall apart but is brought together by young, faithful Constantine

I would even tolerate some historical inaccuracies for the sake of entertainment. Someone green light this shit right fucking now.

don't forget obvious ones like Caligula ("the little boot"), or Quintus Fabius Verrucosus("the warty")

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-kql7cpcOo

The only comparable modern thing to the Roman Empire is the British Empire.

So media just gives them British accents. I'm ok with it.

>The only comparable modern thing to the Roman Empire is the British Empire.

how so? the British empire allowed some degree of independence to it's colonies, it formed armies with their populations and exported their culture to them while exploiting them through public and private enterprise, that i can agree, but culturally the Romans themselves were incredibly different. Romans did not colonize inferior people they saw as dutiful to civilize, and they mostly left people alone apart from taxes.

>Modern Italian probably has about as much in common in its sound with classical Latin as any modern language has with its 1500 year-old ancestor, which is to say very litttle.

Just admit that you don't know neither latin nor italian

NOI

>you wus a made man!