Why is the Holy Roman Empire so overlooked by mainstream society?

Why is the Holy Roman Empire so overlooked by mainstream society?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lechfeld_(955)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian–Hungarian_wars
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

឴ ឴឴ ឴
឴ ឴឴ ឴
឴ ឴឴ ឴

>
>
>

Because its conplicated. Even its name confuses people with no prior knowledge.

This, duchies, city states, proto republics, kingdoms, and one emperor. It is simply to complicated for most people.

Name one thing it accomplished that would be important enough for normies to care about

Being cucked by Napoleon.

That is before you even get into internal borders.

Because it was neither holy, nor Roman nor an empire

The Reformation, the printing press, keep the Hungarians at bay, having the most interesting social structures of all Europe at the time, making it the #1 spot for social change and technical invention.

HRE was the powerhouse of western Europe for 500 years, and even in its decline was formative for the western culture.
If you don't know at least the basics about the HRE, you simply don't know about Europe in the medieval and early modern period.

Because it's easier for people to think "LOL THE MIDDLE AGES? MORE LIKE THE ROLL IN MUD AND EAT POOP AGES HAHAHAHA FUCKING RELIGION'N SHIT MAN"

>keep the Hungarians at bay

what did hungary do wrong

Doing the steppe nigger thingy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lechfeld_(955)

>not an empire
>kms

i wanted to buy a flag and my parents said it was glorifying nazis and my dad thought i was talking about the roman empire

More importantly, why do these Germanic cocksuckers keep using the sable lion rampant on a field or.

Thats before you even get into the full extent of the empire around the year 1000

So that they know where the Wittelsbach had their cocks in and where not.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian–Hungarian_wars
What can we do to stop the eternal steppenigger?

>955
hungary wasn't a state until 1000

red lion = Luxemburg
black lion = Wittelsbach
black eagle = Habsburg

So? No claimed that.

Anglo Centrism, everybody think people lived in a kingdom and where either serfs or knights.
Understanding early republics and city states on the other hand is hard, especially when most of your knowledge is from Disney movies.

so what were early republics like then

wicked gay

>why is x historical subject overlooked by mainstream society?
you can apply this to anything OP. what it comes down to is that mainstream society doesn't care about history besides using it to make a political or ideological point or to justify something

Its more accurate to call it "holy roman-germanic empire". thats actually the way its called in Spanish.

Probably because modern german nationalism is based on seeing it as an outdated entity.

in English speaking worlds we get less history works on it. Germans get more.
A lot of the elites in the EU have been quoted as saying they hope the EU brings back the Holy roman empire. It's always been a dream of the elites, to the annoyance of everyone else.

Can anyone rec some good books about the HRE? Thanks lads.

Anything outside of anglo history is overlooked by Hollywood which is the main source of history of normies.That is why totally mediocre anglos like blackbeard are well known by everyone while people like Cortes are widely unknown or just a punching bag against the white evil.Hell even Scotland seems to be more important than the HRE if you look at Hollyjew movies

But the HRE gave its substates much more rights then the EU. Hell they were allowed to wage small wars against each other under codified law.

It hurts normies brains who have long been fed nation-state memes.

>Brooooo why isn't it, like, a unified nation broooooo they speak the same language brooooooo.

How do you explain the normie obession of Egypt and Cleopatra? Or even Samurai?

Hollywood

kekked hard

But you said that Hollywood only pay attention to Anglo history and the examples I cited aren't a part of it.

different guy.
it's prolly the kikes tho

Maybe he meant Anglo view of history.

>How do you explain the normie obession of Egypt and Cleopatra?
Strong independent womyn
> Or even Samurai?
US occupation of Japan brought tons of interest about Nip culture.
Overall normies learn history through Hollywood and when we talk about Europe it is just England.How many Robin Hood and King Arthur movies have Hollywood done in the last 20 years?

The common narrative in Western history is one of gradual centralization of states bringing modernity and progress. The Holy Roman Empire, being a descentralized state, goes against this narrative.

Most historians have been traditionally unsympathetic towards it for that reason. Not only liberal historians, who hated it for being so traditional and custom-based, but also conservative historians, specially German ones, who considered it "weak" and ineffective.

The HRE is now getting greater interest thanks to it being seen as a blueprint for the EU, though, but it will take time until this views reach mainstream.

Heart of Europe
A History of the Holy Roman Empire
Peter H. Wilson

>they speak the same language
>German
>Provencal French
>Bohemian
>Italian
>Polish

So what is the capital of the HRE then?

The capital of elected emperors holding (for most time it was Hasburg Austria, Vīne, but in times some other nobleman got it, the ''empires capital' was capital of noblmans main title)
p.s.
soory for my bad grammar, english isnt my native langue, and im too lazy to corect myself

Epic

Why the fuck is it called SIRG (Sacro Imperio Romano Germánico) in spanish?

That means Holy Germanic Roman Empire? Is it just some hidden butthurt against the HRE to claim it's not the true Roman Empire?

I know it isn't but pls respond.

>
>
>
>

>not the true Roman
Are you IQ 85 or did you simply not know that pretty much everyone, from Charlemagne onwards tried to paint his "empire" as successor to the Romans for reasons of the church?
>yes, it was just a fucking title, dumblords

This is better but the germanic part is true
>I know it isn't

Read before you reply. What you said it's Translatio Imperii, the ultimate wewuz of europeans and even turks.

>wewuz
So it is IQ 85 then.
They weren't larping as Romans, just stressing that they claim universal power over Christendom, just like the Roman church does.

>IQ 85
>larping
Why have the Veeky Forums speak stick to you so much?
Can't you say "stupid" or "dumb"?

I bet you also say "lad" and "wife her" instead of "marry her".

>just stressing that they claim universal power over Christendom

Not just that but claim to be THE Roman Empire. The Roman Church doesn't claim to be the successor of the Roman Empire even if they use most of their traditions and symbols. Read about what Translatio Imperii means and stop reading wikipedia.

>Not just that but claim to be THE Roman Empire.
You are one stupid dumb cunt. The HRE never claimed to be Roman, thats just part of the title. The ROman catholic church on the other hand claimed to have unbroken succession back to Roman times.
Now go either find some sources or fuck off you dumb shit!

Charlemagne was the first new Roman emperor, as the successor of Constantine VI. He wasn't larping as Romulus or Augustus, he simply was the most powerful guy in the western hemisphere. The title and coronation ceremony by the pope in Rome was mostly to set him apart from the Byzantine Empire and {{{Empress}}} Irene.

Yeah, the German name shouldn't be relevant for this topic.

Because HRE included Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, parts of modern Poland, parts of modern Russia, Croatia and Herzegovina. So you can't just say it was Germany because the emperor was king of the Germans and it's quite complicated compared to French and English history which is desu more important for the modern state, as history education is the teaching of how we got to the modern world

>a stable, prosperous, multi cultural, multi language, federal society that ruled Europe for the better part of a millennium is somewhat less important than England.
seriously?

Dude. A Reich encompasses more than a nation. Thus your rambling about other nationalities is useless. It was a mainly German entity. Also what user above my post said.

How is Robin Hood more relevant than protestantism or the 30 years war? Are English this fucking deluded irl?

I want to learn HRE

where do I begin?

You did well.

In German, it's even called:
Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation
(Holy Roman Empire of German Nation)

>Holy
>Roman
>Empire
>of German
>Nation

only from the late 15th century onwards, so when they lost control over ITaly.

Ancient Egypt was insanely hyped up through the achievements of Anglo Egyptologists of the first half of the 20th century. You will barely find Egyptian themes in pop culture that do not reference the British colonial view of the country or important Anglo discoveries like the opening of Tutankhamun's tomb.
As for the Samurai, it's the same thing just with the Americans. They were the first to open Japan up and the last to fight a war against them, so the Japanese culture found its way in the American mainstream.

The HRE on the other hand is dead for over 2 centuries, it becomes only important if you deal with European history before Napoleon.

Even for people who have a good knowlege of history, the HRE is a confusing mess of an entity. That's why everyone hates it.

Once you get it is a meta state that serves as an umbrella for various entities it becomes easier.

It hadn't one. West-Francia was given the capital Paris after the treaty of Verdun, but Middle-Francia and East-Francia hadn't any capital offcially. However, the emperor was crowned in Frankfurt am Main, so that might be considered as capital.

So this is not an empire then according to you?

Who is king, he is capital

>federal
Even Americans with their freedoms didn't care about the HRE
ENGLAND is more important to the modern world because of how much it did with inventions, with borders, with ideas, with philosophy, with science, with life

>Robin Hood
>not helpful for building the idea of the social contract
>Protestantism is exclusively Roman
>30 years was just about Rome and inside Rome
You are deluded kid

>using the term reich witheir referring to specific emperors
Aww lad

samefagging hard dear Anglo?

Normies confuse the HRE with the ancient roman empire. This is why they don't really have it on their radar.

I'm completely ignorant of the HRE, how did something so decentralized manage to hold together for so long? How were electors chosen? How independent were all those duchies, city states etc? I have so many questions, thinking about it makes my head hurt. Can anyone recommend a good book to start?

>how did something so decentralized manage to hold together for so long?
likely because it was decentralized. like you got a good legal tradition, some powerfull allies in case you need them and otherwise you are free to do your own thing.

>How were electors chosen?
Electors come up at the end of the medieval and wher ethe most powerfull nobles and clergy of the time.
>How independent were all those duchies, city states etc?
Quite a bit, the Swiss for example where full patched member of the HRE till 1648, despite having waged war with the Habsburg for centuries and conquering their lands. So having a war with your own emperor is still acceptable.
It is a bit like the EU, Poland and Hungary can give the EU the finger, but they are still in, And wile the Emperor has some power on regulations and foreign policy he is by no means in absolute power and local entities will always make their own politics.
Heart of Europe
Peter H. Wilson

Heart of Europe
Peter H. Wilson

Is a good reference, what period does interest you the most?

>holy
>roman
>empire

>Prussian flag
>HRE

Are you this dumb you fucking frog dipshit jesus christ why and how are people this dumb

>getting arsch offen over obvious b8
figures, go to bed Murat, Merkel needs you awake tomorrow

>Implying I'm German

What are you talking about

Veeky Forums is pretty much the only pace online that won't shut the fuck up about HRE or Byzantium

both are obscure, because they both existed for ~1000 years and didn't really do much
I have met people from Europe who have never heard of either many times

I also met a German once who didn't know about Prussia

In Norwegian it's called "tysk-romerske rike" which directly translated means German/Teutonic-Roman Reich/Realm

>I also met a German once who didn't know about Prussia
refugees aren't german

>both are obscure

Maybe amongst your group of friends in America.

>I have met people from Europe who have never heard of either many times

Probably because you said got Rome and HRE confused

>I also met a German once who didn't know about Prussia

Probably because you pronounced it P-Rush-iya

I'm not an American, retard
but because you assume anyone not from your country to be American, I guess you're from the UK

>because you assume anyone not from your country to be American, I guess you're from the UK

Joke's on (you) I actually am an American : ^ )

Nobody believes or says that.

>Google "peasant" and you'll see what he means

>implying Normies know anything about Napoleon other than he tried taking over Europe and then losing in Russia.

I've met people who didn't even know who Stalin was.

They probably think Germany was a single country back then, with the same borders modern Germany has today.

What was that you just said?

kek

I met a girl once who couldn't tell me who George Washington was. She was enlisted in the US military.

>waaah
>white people don't care about anything not white
Get gud, fag.

>Anglos are the only white people on earth

2/10 b8

Literally every normie thinks so. Plus 15th century armor being worn since 900 till 1600s

>implying normies know anything about Napoleon other than "Oooh he's that french manlet, haha!"