What would a modern pagan Europe look like?

I imagine you'd have a form of Interpretatio Romana/Græca/Germanic that would bridge the divide between the different cultural spheres, as Europe became more interconnected, almost to the point of a PIE religious reconstruction.

Secondly, I imagine that we'd have a situation akin to Shintoism and Buddhism, where you'd have a folk religious base with a philosophy leading your life.

Imagine Ásatrúar and Stoicism together under common practice. Shit would be cool.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1RpvLtwdrP8?t=2495
youtube.com/watch?v=HjWZz839T8w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Look at Hinduism and Shinto

Did you even read my second paragraph?

everyone would be varg

sounds like pseudo-primitivist Detroit

Zoroastrian Europe will soon happen

The deiva Jesus is dying

>Imagine Ásatrúar and Stoicism together under common practice. Shit would be cool.

Nah. Everyone would be bored of it, after so many centuries. Christianity/Judaism would be the cool exotic thing.

Why would germancucks adopt a Greco-Roman philosophy like Stoicism? They'd still be worshiping Odins Jizz.

It's a shame that a dirty Semite religion took over Europe. So much culture lost. It'd be no different if Charles Martel lost at Tours and Islam took root in Europe.

If Europe stayed pagan it'd be a lot like modern Japan. The myths would mostly be seen a quaint (maybe the gods are real, maybe they aren't), yet reminders of the ancient heritage while the rituals would be taken seriously to reinforce nationalistic social bonds between past & present.

>If Europe stayed pagan it'd be a lot like modern Japan.
How do you figure this bullshit? Japan has an alien religion (Buddhism) and Shinto was just folk practices organized into a religion after the Meiji-Restoration.

You just answered your question dumbass. Christianity would be the alien religion and I can easily see pagan practises being organized into some sort of religion.

Divide between Odin worshipping Nordic-Germanic pagan north and Hellenic Greco-Roman Pagan south

There are people who actually believe this

>You just answered your question dumbass
No I didn't. We have no way of knowing what Shinto would be like without Buddhism but have no reason to think that European paganism without Christianity would like Shintoism with Buddhism.

If I could change one thing within Europe's history I would make all pre-christian societies highly literate and make them write tons of books.

They'd all be lost when the library of Alexandria burns down

Nah, the Shinto religion was always a strong part of Japanese society. The emperor was a living God FFS. It was just distinguished from Buddhism during the Heian age and around WWII.

The Kami were seen as equivalent to the Devas of Buddhism typically, worthy of devotion but still subject to Samsara and in need of liberation. Another interpretation was that the Gods are just manifestations of the Boddhisattavas in the world to make life easier for humans so they can achieve enlightenment more easily. Yomi was mostly discarded as a concept or seen as another part of Naraka. The Pure Land is more appealing than a dark cave of gloom, fear, and sadness for eternity.

A pagan Europe would most likely keep aspects of Christianity such as Heaven while handwaving the more crazy shit.

>caring about the library of memes

Fuck off. There was nothing of value there. Why do you think it was burned down three times?

>muh library

most overrated pop-history bullshit. there was next to nothing there. why would there be pagan texts stored there? on the shores of another fucking continent?

t.caesar

Inb4 "that's a meme, christians dindu"

In Scotland we have Beltane and Samhain festivals. Before you get excited in reality it's a bunch of mad hippies dressing up and LARPing. Bringing in the summer with nudity, fire, drinking and tribal dancing really does get the old libido fired up which is partially the point. It does touch something in the soul.

I've stopped going though because it's become super touristy and you have push past hundreds of photographers. I would love to do it in a forest somewhere properly.

Samhain (haloween) is much more solemn affair.

We do have modern Ásatrúar in scandinavia and it's kinda stupid. Bunch of history reenactors pouring milk on rocks in the woods.

>tfw no big tittied pagan LARPing gf.

For the same reasons Romans took from Greeks.

>Be balticucks
>Practice authentic European animism until 1400s
>Too stupid and irrelevant to write anything

>show up to temple with my shitty loaf and berries I picked on the way back from work

>priestess comes over and says that my offering is an insult to the god/goddess

>get burned alive inside a wickerman

Roman religion in the late antiquity was already very close to Christianity. As far as we know from written sources late pagans were also seeking salvation, given to them by Isis, Mithras, gnosis or neoplatonic henosis. Just read "On gods and the world"by Sallustius to see how they viewed their myths and deities. There were no Hades (although there were some "purifications" after death) but hope for flying high above the stars and uniting with gods and, to put things in neoplatonic perspective, ultimate Good

what I'm trying to say is - we would have pseudo-Christianity with salvic message and mythic stuff, but without bullshit wars over a theology

oddball yt larpers like skallagrim, with tranny,furfag "wives"

THIS

it would of been fucking epic..

Neopagans are largely an ignorant bunch who honesty believe the gulf between the MENA and Southern Europe wasn't lesser than the gulf between Southern Europe and the rest of Europe. Culturally speaking it makes no sense to refer to Europe as a united entity before Christendom as opposed to speaking of a Mediterranean world with close diffusion to Parthia and contacts with India and China.

>we would have pseudo-Christianity
It's not "pseudo-Christnanty" per say. It's just another theology.

I think he meant another but very simmilat theology
hell, Christians' theology quickly became Platonic and/or Aristotelian. They basically had the same principles. Compare Damascius and Pseudo-Dionysus, or Plotinus and st. Augustine. There were differences of course (there were differences between different pagans also) but tendency was the same.

It's not like Christianity brainwashed half of the Empire and forced another half into believing - pagans and Christians were already becoming close to each other for 300 years. Deities which were most popular with pagans (whose who left their writings to us), like Asclepius, Sol Invictus or still popular Dionysus, had very simmilar functions to Christs'.

Germanics and Slavs preserved the oldest forms of Indo-European religion for the longest. By the time of Christianization the Romano-Hellenic world had largely delved into numerous mystery cults and eastern religions which had spread into Gallic regions. Assuming Roman influence spread the same way it did, it might have been less like just Shinto and more like the devotional diversity found in China and maybe also that of Japan and India depending how you look at it, but India seems to have not been as adoptive of foreign beliefs as the Chinese and the Helleno-Roman world and most of its religions are derived from preexisiting Vedic tradition, and is even the case today, whereas western civilization has been receptive of numerous eastern faiths throughout history such as the eastern cults, Christianity, and today with the popularization of yoga, Buddhism, and other foreign religions and concepts.

>"But it has its drawbacks as well. It's opportunist and because it lacks principles people adjust themselves to the situation at the moment and tend to be fickle. Yes there's a strong tendency to take this attitude."
(Paste link to go to 41:35)
youtu.be/1RpvLtwdrP8?t=2495

>Germanics and Slavs preserved the oldest forms of Indo-European religion for the longest
nah
the balts did

i.e. Balto-Slavics

Was are Eastern chants so comfy?
youtube.com/watch?v=HjWZz839T8w

emphasis on the Balto- part

Alphabetical order

Slavonic is synonymous to South Balt. Proto-Balto-Slavic split into 3 different dialectical zones. East Balts at east (ex. Lithuanians/Galindians), West Balts at west (ex. Prussians) and South Balts at south (ex. Sklavonians). These South Balts started to call themselves Slavs at some point and their modern linguistic designation is Slavonic. This is of course pretty misleading as it would be more logical to call them as South Balts as that's what they are linguistically. This Balto-Slavic hybrid word is useless and illogical, it should be just Balt.

Could be but I'm of the opinion that everything is easier if everybody just calls eachother by their own name. Slavic probably has an older literary history also.

>there was next to nothing there.
They literally demanded every ship that passed through its port to turn over their books, they copied them, and then gave them the copies back.

I'm not saying that a lot of it wasn't just meaningless drivel, but to say there was NOTHING there...?

t. slavshit

Not really. But to be fair Germans where the first to produce a piece of literature for Balt while Slavs already had a literary tradition for hundreds of years. Back then Indo-European wasn't known about and only later was the relation between Baltic and Slavic established. Slavs might not appreciate being called Balts and doing so might amount to modern check-your-privilegism, which might be inevitable. But in comparison Germanics are named after Germania when they originated in Scandinavia and there's also the case of the Indo-Iranians.

imagine juggalos that decided to take up religion. thats what it would be like, because paganism is fucking stupid and attracts alt-lite edgelords and natsocs cuz muh europa. just because its a religion from europe doesnt make it any less retarded than any other religion. nice bait, i replied

Wew! Looks like we have ourselves literalist...

There'd probably be a lot more Jews...

More like Muslim Europe. Zoroastrianism doesn't even have a base from which to launch their operation. It couldn't even keep their home country of Iran.

whats stopping a nation that size colonizing the entirety of the americas? There's no competition and a large population to build colonies

I don't quite see it.
If anything, pre-Islam/Christian MENA seems to be more influenced by Rome than the other way around.
It was with the introduction of Abrahamic religions that it reversed and they became the outsourcers of culture. Armenia built Greco-Roman temples to their gods, for example.

Europe was united in it's common ethnic origin, all their gods came from the same original pantheon, of that's not united in some way, I don't know what is.

Breh this is hypothetical turn of events, not your fedora, call down.