Do we have any HEMA practitioners lurking Veeky Forums?

Do we have any HEMA practitioners lurking Veeky Forums?

If not, why are you not practicing the Art of Longsword?

>inb4 the katana is a superior weapon
The Katana is heavy for its Length
Short for its weight
Made of inferior steel

-Dont know what HEMA is?-
youtube.com/watch?v=5zueF4Mu2uM
youtube.com/watch?v=ln94E9AGYTc
youtube.com/watch?v=n5w2Mh6CyXo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SZZjtxgUGeU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lol look at this pleb. Swords are shit and inferior to spears.

Context matters, friend. In war yes, but in a duel, not so much.

I find it interesting when people say the Roman Gladius killed more men than any other wepon in history, because its simply not true when we consider spears.

There is spear fencing in HEMA
youtube.com/watch?v=SZZjtxgUGeU

The worst part about the katana is that its short for a two handed weapon.

Do you know why HEMA faggots feel the need to attack katanas from the get go?
No matter how many videos of katanas breaking and buff frenchmen in full plate sprinting while half swording they post, people will always think katanas are cooler.
Dark Souls fanboys can't beat Hollywood, and you look eternally butt-ravaged for even trying.

No because I live in a neglected shithole that doesn't have anywhere to swing swords

yes also in a duel not so much but still.

because the gladius is a type of sword and there are hundreds of types of spears. for my money its rocks though.

Im not a HEMA faggot, nor do i hate katanas, i have a wide interest in history which includes feudal japan. Pointing out its flaws doesnt make me butt-ravaged, coolness is irrelevant and subjective, i for one find xv type arming swords to be "cooler", the only one being butt-ravaged here is you because people dont like you superioru swordu from your favorite anime.

HEMA is still in its infancy, and its practitioners are all obnoxious neckbear faggots. It suffers from a paucity of rigorous scholarship and physical fitness. It needs to shut the fuck up and do some studying and physical training before I can take it seriously.

Even then, I don't have high hopes for it. Anything it produces will be little better than a flimsy reconstruction.

HEMA is cool with Japanese sword arts, the shit posts most likely are from basement dwellers with no training.

As if you fat fuck knew about HEMA personnel or training...

That depends on a lot of factors. Good armor or a shield can nullify the reach advantage.
But isn't a katana light enough to be used one handed?

>Made of inferior steel
Maybe in 16th century, faggot
>If not, why are you not practicing the Art of Longsword?
Because straight swords are for plebs and longsword is fedora tier disgusting piece of shit :^)

Lel nobody is not part of HEMA because muh katana is superior. Nobody is doing HEMA because it's cringeworthy LARPing just like Kendo.

which sporting abstraction of sword fighting would work best or be easiest to convert to an actual sword duel to the death style of combat?

Fencing, kendo or HEMA?

I think Kendo because kendo actually emphasises deadly strikes to the head while HEMA and , epee and saber give equal weight to hitting almost anywhere and foil , although it emphasises the torso, doesn't really use a sword-like weapon at all but a floppy piece of rubber

The katana depending on construction is about inch per inch the same as a long sword.

Nor is it fair to compare it to a longsword. Compare a tachi or a nodachi to a long sword.

Spring tempering was not universal in Europe and no one before the contemporary period considered katana craftsmanship "inferior"

I love hema but dont spread your butthurt over katana on a history board

probably hema or early style kendo. modern kendo has alot of rules that make it less realistic

HEMA is a brilliant sport for Veeky Forumstorians, but from my experience the other practitioners are very vocal about how liberal they are. This doesn't detract from the sport but its just a curious thing.

You are severely misinformed.

>But isn't a katana light enough to be used one handed?
Katanas are usually heavier than longwords, and are much heavier than arming swords (which are usually around the same size). You probably could use one one-handed, but it's not what they were designed for, and it wouldn't be as easy as you assume.

Technically, yes if you have the strength for it, but it's designed for two-handed use. Swords with long-ish grips are designed for two-handed use like longswords, greatswords, katanas, etc. Why would you want to one-hand it anyways?

especially considering the romans themselves used spears just as much as swords, even moreso in some eras like pre-marius and late era.

This is added to the fact that most battlefield deaths were from cavalry running down routers, not the legionaries themselves, and roman cav used spears and lances.

So is a zweihander and many spears. Doesn't mean it's either ideal nor practical.

There are alot of long swords that weigh more than a katana. Most katana are about the weight of a saber, maybe slightly more. and indeed were sometimes put in sabre mounts for police and military use. They were also sometimes put into one handed mounts on the continent, were they served as a Calvary side arm

>Why would you want to one-hand it anyways?

There are alot of Katana techniques which called for one handed use, using the sword with one hand gave you extra range the two handed grip gave you extra leverage and cutting power.

the one hand grip was used on horse back, for iaijutsu, for nitoryu, for horseback and for a variety of pure kenjutsu techniques. a two hand grip was preferable in most circumstances but it was made to be used either one or two handed.

I suppose but its not like a samurai preferred a katana on horseback, it wasnt meant for that. Their primary was a bow, their secondary was a yari, and their third and final option was the sword.

They preferred the bow or the spear on horseback. The tachi--a longer katana slung blade down-- being the preferred side arm. With the exception of the nodachi the Japanese sword was always a side arm.

The short length of the modern katana as its origin in two places, the dense formations of foot soldiers had little use for the longer blades preferred by upper class samurai, and second and most importantly in Tokugawa regulations and the need to wear a sword in the city.

>not using a mace for all situations

Have fun going up against someone with a 4ft long weapon using an 18 inch weapon

>its practitioners are all obnoxious neckbear faggots.

Do not speak of our LORD (peace be upon the 1796 pattern British calavry sabre) in such terms.

>longsword
Quit being a faggot!
Come on man, "Sword and Board" is where it's at!

HEMA is pretty cool, actually am planning on doing it somewhat when I get in better shape.

Not that this matters so much, but
>The Katana is heavy for its Length
>The Katana is heavy for its Length
you literally said the same exact thing in two different ways. It's bothersome when people do that.