Who are the Tywin Lannisters of history?

Who are the Tywin Lannisters of history?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Neville,_16th_Earl_of_Warwick
amazon.com/Great-Terrible-King-Forging-Britain/dp/1681771330
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The character he was based on maybe?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Neville,_16th_Earl_of_Warwick

the Anglos, as a collective entity

Louis XI of France was one sly motherfucker. they called him the spider.

read the war of the roses mate, the whole series is chicken shit compared to history

Apparently a lot of Martin's stuff was based on "Les Rois Maudits" by Maurice Druon. I'd say Tywin is an amalgamation of Philip the Fair and Robert de Artois.

This is probably the closest one. Tywin isn't just scheming, he's also notable for being personally powerful, influential, wealthy and above all, ruthless.

This.

>An ominous black cloud hung over the field of Evesham on 4 August 1265 as Montfort led his army in a desperate uphill charge against superior forces, described by one chronicler as the "murder of Evesham, for battle it was none". On hearing that his son Henry had been killed, Montfort replied, "Then it is time to die." During the battle, a twelve-man squad of Edward's men had stalked the battlefield independent of Edward's main army, their sole aim being to find the earl and cut him down.

>With their defeat at Lewes still fresh in memory, the royalists fought with a strong sense of bitterness and resentment. As a result, and despite attempts to surrender, most of the baronial rebels were killed on the battlefield rather than taken prisoner and ransomed, as was the common custom and practice. In what has been referred to as "an episode of noble bloodletting unprecedented since the Conquest", Montfort's son Henry was killed first, then Simon himself lost his horse and died fighting. His body was mutilated; his head, hands, feet and testicles cut off.

>"the head of the earl of Leicester ... was severed from his body, and his testicles cut off and hung on either side of his nose"; and in such guise the head was sent to Wigmore Castle by Roger Mortimer, 1st Baron Mortimer, as a gift to his wife, Maud. His hands and feet were also cut off and sent to diverse places to enemies of his as a great mark of dishonour to the deceased.

Describe what defines him in few points.

Ruthless
Capable
Obsessed with the legacy of his family
Scheming
Gravitas

Such a unique character.

lol

Thats every ambitious ruler EVER.

Well he's literally based on Charles of Valois.

Although to be fair he's one of the characters GRRM changed the most.

Well his role in the story is that of Charles, see But yeah I agree his character is more similar to Philip the Fair.

Who is the Stannis of history?

That one is obvious, he's based on Philip the Long, no major changes this time.

>That guy on the left
>This wolfhead smells bad
>Nobody here wants to talk about little iron bowl helmets
>My feet hurt
>I wish I was home, plowing my field and wife

Oswiu of Northumbria.

He's pretty much supposed to be a perfect ruler.

>perfect ruler
>says nothing about his subjects
>says nothing about his achievements

You can't rule if you have nothing. You can't rule if your subjects hate your guts.

>the commonfolk hate Tywin, the one man who kept the realm together during the long reign of the Mad King

What the fuck are you on about you bandwagoning casual?

Most people in Westeros respected or feared him. All acknowledged him as the power behind the throne.

Philip of Macedonia
Sulla
Julius Caesar
Saladin
Edward I
Henry V
Oda Nobunaga
Jan Sobieski
Alexandr Suvorov
Horatio Kitchener
George Patton
Erich von Manstein

Problem is he couldn't raise his kids to be functional human beings, so all his work and so called legacy goes to shit in under a year. How someone so intelligent can also be so short sighted is beyond me.

You mean overly aggressive retards bailed out by circumstances beyond their control?

Probably mildly autistic or a bit of a sociopath, couldn't emphathize with his kids and just assumed they'd be as ambitious as he and share his goals

my diary desu

Happened to quite some people in history. Marcus Aurelius' son was a total fuckpuppet, Philip the Fair's dynasty collapsed shortly after his death because his three sons were utterly incompetent.

>Perfect ruler
>shitty children

A more perfect ruler is Genghis Khan.

>be the king of France
>all three of your sons are cuckolds
no wonder he died soon after finding out

Actually only Louis and Charles were cucks, Philip's wife was just an accomplice in the cucking of the other two.

nah she was a whore too, Philip just didn't want her to die because he would lose claim to her lands

Women are shit, guys. Never trust anyone and always have a back up plan.

What did he do?

I mean, have you read the books? He's very different in them

King Edward Longshanks and king Phillip the Fair. George RR Martin even says in an interview that Tywin was inspired by Edward Longshanks.

They hated him after he sacked King's Landing. Though probably in Lannister lands people love and see him with a point of pride.

Stannis is actually based on Emperor Tiberius, so yeah

Underrated post

Who were the Oberyns of history? Byron? de Sade?

What is a good book on the War of the Roses?

dunno bout War of the Roses but -

amazon.com/Great-Terrible-King-Forging-Britain/dp/1681771330

is where i got the information about Evesham, although taken from wiki.

Conn Iggulden.

Game of Thrones is just the war of the roses+dragons+zombies. It is amusing how predictible shit is if know some English and Scottish history

For example engineer Burgundies downfall.

Why are there no shows based on the 30 year war? It seems like the kind of hipster war that people would love if they got to know it.

Lancaster and York by Alison Weir
Battle Royal and Blood Royal by Hugh Bicheno

This

t. Brienne

>succeeded Augustus with ease
>hedonist pedophile who didn't give a shit about ruling

They are nothing alike.

Stannis is more like Constantine:
>fought in a multi sided civil war
>promoted a new religion but wasn't a true believer, was more opportunistic about it
>powerful female advisor who was also something of a religous figurehead (his mother Helena)
>hated his wife
>kinslayer (Crispus)

GRRM directly said he's influenced by Tiberius

>Cold
>Fit
>Hates flatterers
>Frugal
>Military genius
>Not religious but obsessed with magic
>Gets shit done but people hate him because of personality

>Forgetting Cao Cao and Vladimir Putin

>Putin
FSB pls go and stay go

GRRM said they're kinda similar once

GRRM is an utter retard.

>Lannisters rule from Casterly Rock

Real subtle Georgie boy.

When will you idiots shut up with the War of the Roses meme? The books that ASOIAF is based on have nothing to do with the War of the Roses.

Except GRRM directly said that it's based on War of the Roses retard

Obsessed with restoring and preserving his family's reputation after seeing his father rule as a total pushover.
Ruthlessly pragmatic to the point of murdering nobles under the protection of guest right and having a baby murdered because he might grow up to claim the throne.
Retaliates hard against any perceived slight toward him and his family.
Holds grudges forever.
Very much a "tis better to be feared than loved" type of guy.
Nevertheless, an excellent administrator and decent military commander.

When Tywin was a young boy, his father was the ruler of Casterly Rock. His father was a weak man, and allowed his vassal states to ignore loans and slight his house.

When Tywin comes into power, he attempts to restore the damage his father did to their house, and as a result sends his vassals to heel.

To do this, he sends envoys to Castamere and another house Tarbeck. When they assume Tywin is the same as his father, he utterly wipes them out, and writes a song about it "The Rains of Castamere"

He becomes so feared that all he has to do to get people in line is send a singer, not an army, to play the song and let people know what happens to houses that cross him.

Later on, he becomes an excellent general, stateman, ect. During the deposing of house Targaryen, he oversees the sacking of Kings Landing and the deaths of all the living targaryens that he can get his hands on.

A Game of Thrones takes place 12 years after the sacking, and Tywin returns to the West, where he is still feared and respected due to his houses reputation (Even though the gold mines have long gone dry).

That succinct enough?

Because he wants to distract from his quasi-plagiarism. And you plebs just gobble it up like the braindead retards you are because you don't know anything about either history or literature.

>succeeded Augustus with ease
He was literally the bottom of the barrel and the last person Augustus wanted to don the purple.

His second son wasn't.

So what book did he plagiarize?

Les Rois Maudits

Looks like a pretty good series, but reading the plot synopses they don't seem very similar to Game of Thrones directly. Like, it's all courtly intrigue, but not in the way of GRRM's stuff.

Having read both, it's very similar, only with less shitty writing, less actual literal shitting and less dragons. In the new English translation, GURMs foreword actually goes 'this is the original ASoIaF'
Wholeheartedly recommended anyway, because Robert de Artois is awesome.

Yeah I think I will read them, I love good historical fiction.

thomas cromwell. oliver cromwell. richard iii. maybe edward iv. cosimo de' medici. edward kennedy

Then also check out Fortunes of France if you haven't. Similar stuff.

Needs updating since they found Richard III and the more probable site of Bosworth.

sounds like stalin desu

yeah you're right. looks like a new edition of the book in 2015 takes into account the finding after a quick google search.

GRRM moved them around some, but the characters and their story arcs are extremely similar.

Stannis is Carlos Isidro María Borbón, brother of Fernando VII a shit king of Spain, who had only daughters, the laws of the kingdom prevented women from ruling Spain, but the king still gave the kingdom to his daughter instead of his brother the legitimate heir, so Carlos started a war to take the throne but lost it , As well as his heirs lost another 4 wars by the throne of Spain, still the successors of Carlos live today and they continue reclaiming the throne of Spain in its dynastic favor. In fact the Carlist war could also refer to another event of song of ice and fire, the dance of the dragons, where Viserys II ceded the throne of a fraudulent way to its daughter Rhaenyra instead of its son Aegon. Sorry for bad english m8

probably this desu
The ASOIAF seems to be most based on the War of the Roses, or so people say:
>House Lancaster == House Lannister
>House York == House Stark

>read actual historical intrigue
>actually interesting

>read fictional normie shit
>women rule everything and the bad guys have to lose or normies will get mad

Why do people read this gay fake shit? You could be reading Dune or something real and be satisfied instead of reading something from a fat pretentious impotent hobgoblin.
They don't even explain the tax policy of not-United Kingdom.

>>women rule everything
showfag detected

> You could be reading Dune
yes, a series where women literally rule everything

>read fictional normie shit
>women rule everything and the bad guys have to lose or normies will get mad
Sounds like you spend more time in front a screen than a book, showfag.

>the bad guys have to lose

He says, in regards to ASOIAF, a series noted for horrific things happening to the good guys and the bad guys getting away with it.

Two fucking French houses

Don't you mean 2 Viking houses?

Lancaster family, obviously...

Nope
They're branches of the Plantagenet House, which wasnt Norman but Angevin (aka French without Norse ancestry)

Which one, there were 4 of them?

>Henry II grandson of William the Conquerer
>Wasn't Norman

* great-grandson

The House didnt become Norman because one guy in it had a far off Norman ancestry)
Do you think the Habsburgs were a Spanish house too?

He's based on Edward Longshanks.

>one guy
>the start of the dynasty

>far off
>great-grandson

>the start of the dynasty

Are you fucking retarded?
The House of Plantagenet had existed for lmong before it took over England

We're talking about the Plantagenets when they were kings of England, not when they were literally who footnotes.

Agamemnon

Me.

I've done quite a bit of reading about the English kings and queens since it is very interseting but what I have read and know I would say that Henry the 1st was the first English king since his Father's conquest.

This is because Henry grew up in England and grew up as an English prince. He had a long reign and a good reign, he really did go to an effort to appease the English and to rule it as an Englishmen. Obviously he was the son of a Norman conqueror so it wasn't like he was 100% English, he was still Norman as well but he did go to the effort of trying to assimilate to English culture and the English people

Still doesnt change the fact that one individual with a few drop of Norman blood in the House doesnt make the House stop being Angevin and become Norman
If one dude in the Habsburg married a Polish woman, the House didnt suddenly become Polish

And anyway it wouldnt change the fact that it was a French House as Normans were basically French (both culturally and genetically) by Willima's era

I'd argue French to an extent, it really depended on the king at the time. I'd say that

William I
William II
Henry III

Were very Norman/French but kings like

Henry I
Edward I

Were not.